Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
16-09-2020, 13:42   #61
mariaalice
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 9,787
I always thought a good proportion of eastern Europens were here to save money and build or buy a house or apartment when they go home, a lot like the Irish in London in the 1980s.

Anyway, its a vast area so eastern Europen is a bit of a catch-all title.

Something I find interesting the level of fluency in English is so varied even from the same country who must be getting the same education.
mariaalice is offline  
Advertisement
16-09-2020, 13:43   #62
breezy1985
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Brood View Post
My guess is you are neither Eastern European (I am), nor do you know many Eastern Europeans in Ireland, nor do you know the economic realities in Eastern Europe.
Funny I have worked in hospitality in Ireland and England so have worked with lots of people from behind the old iron curtain and have never heard a single one who calls themselves"eastern European" in fact they hate the term so I'm calling bull
breezy1985 is offline  
Thanks from:
16-09-2020, 13:44   #63
neris
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 18,460
Know a few Romanians living over here who try to hide where there from because of the Roma

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertKK View Post
I have Romanian friends and will visit them when all this virus stuff is over.
Some of the nicest people I have ever come across.
Romania is a country that reminds me of Ireland growing up, they have the emigration, but now they have the higher economic growth (excluding the virus anomaly) the motorways are being built so it is a country in a rapid transformation.
I hope they keep their traditions and culture. It is a Latin country in an area dominated by Slavic
I see is as a major tourist destination in Europe in the coming decades, between the Carpathian mountains, the Danube Delta - ranked as the third most important biopshere on the planet after the Great Barrier Reef and the Galapagos islands and then there is the Black Sea coastline, not to mention all the castles and beautiful Transylvania.
Wages are on the rise but they have the lowest cost of living in the EU.
Many go abroad to make some better money, but their country is a hidden jewel.
What I find is people holding prejudices against the country due to the Roma people who make up 3% of the population.
If people look beyond their prejudices they will discover a great country with people to match.
neris is online now  
Thanks from:
16-09-2020, 13:44   #64
murpho999
Registered User
 
murpho999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 25,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Brood View Post
You also obviously don't live anywhere near Dublin city center and have no clue what goes on. No clue.

I don't know where you are sitting commenting on all these things but nothing of what you're posting reflects reality.
I live in Bray but I know Dublin city centre very well and I also know the area as I worked in the IFSC for five years so was regularly on Talbot Street.

I get what people are saying but I'm pointing out that it does not represent the whole city an also that other cities in Europe have problems as well.

There are also plenty of areas in the city centre that are completely fine.

I've had loads of night socialising in Dublin city and have never once in 30 odd years felt unsafe or threatened.
murpho999 is offline  
Thanks from:
16-09-2020, 13:45   #65
breezy1985
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariaalice View Post
I always thought a good proportion of eastern Europens were here to save money and build or buy a house or apartment when they go home, a lot like the Irish in London in the 1980s.

Anyway, its a vast area so eastern Europen is a bit of a catch-all title.

Something I find interesting the level of fluency in English is so varied even from the same country who must be getting the same education.
Plenty of them also just want to leave home for somewhere new and exciting for the sex drugs and rock & roll like many of us did
breezy1985 is offline  
Advertisement
16-09-2020, 13:47   #66
ShamNNspace
Registered User
 
ShamNNspace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 1,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyBoBandy View Post
Though not strictly Eastern Europe, Lithuania (one of the 3 Baltic States) is a fantastic place.

I lived there for 18 months while on a work assignment, and the capitol city Vilnius was fantastic. Great bars, great clubs, great restaurants, and great culture all round. (would put Dublin to shame in a lot of categories). People were incredibly friendly, and in the 18 months I was there, we were never hassled once by drunkards, or toe rags in general (we went out every weekend and simply didn't see any behaviour like this).

Before I went there I was expecting to enter an 80's style Soviet dystopia, but was quite shocked at how modern the place was.

I spent the first 9 months I was there single, and had a great time in that regard (women were incredibly friendly & beautiful)..... then the 2nd 9 months I was in a relationship with a girl. 10 years later we are still together. She followed me back to Ireland a few months after I left as she transferred from the Lithuanian office to her companies U.K. office (and got to be home based in Ireland).

For anyone that's never been, I'd highly recommend going for a long weekend if/when things get back to normal.
For me its hard to beat strolling down laisves aleja in Kaunas in the spring or winter snow, making your way down to the old town to meet up with someone. O motoring there drivers drive a bit aggressively imv but you get used to it
ShamNNspace is offline  
16-09-2020, 13:49   #67
murpho999
Registered User
 
murpho999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 25,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Brood View Post
Wow. As an Eastern European I can tell you you have been lied to out of your mind. A select few may fit that description. The vast majority are running away from economic depravity and see it is an absurd paradise to be paid huge money for not working. If you're Irish they obviously won't tell you that, but that is the reality.
Ok, strange thing is since the EU expanded in 2004 that Irish unemployment rates have not shot up with this hoards of Eastern Europeans coming over and claiming our social welfare.

Really, you're not saying anything to back it up and anecdotal evidence just because you say you're Eastern European (which I find off as I'd never call myself "Western European", why not state your nationality?) is just not good enough.
murpho999 is offline  
Thanks from:
16-09-2020, 13:50   #68
whisky_galore
Registered User
 
whisky_galore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 9,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by murpho999 View Post

Also, "Benefits underclass". What is this as people in Ireland don't receive "benefits".
If you really live here you should know who they are, I don't need to draw a diagram for you.
whisky_galore is offline  
16-09-2020, 14:07   #69
silver2020
Registered User
 
silver2020's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 899
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Brood View Post
You get paid more to come over here and take the dole money for no work than you do working full time at even average-paid jobs in several parts of Eastern Europe.

Let that sink in.
sounds like what a good old racist fool that doesn't have the education for a decent job and then blames others for all of their ills. (not saying this describes you - but its the type of stupid pub banter that some people believe)

Here a fact from the CSO. The rate of unemployment amongst all Irish based individual country EU residents is lower than the unemployment rate of Irish nationals here.

Or to put it plainly. Before the pandemic Irish unemployment was 4.8%. The rate for Polish, Romanian or whatever other EU country you pick (including uk) was less than this for those from that country that lived here.
silver2020 is offline  
Advertisement
16-09-2020, 14:08   #70
andala
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 214
When I came here 13 years ago I found Ireland to be very uncivilised - your access to goods and services was shockingly poor and prices were shocking for a Pole like me. It's changing now, more things can be done online but still I miss big shops with a huge variety of things like furniture. I found a lot of houses looked almost identical on the inside - tiles, furniture and styles - that is something we don't get, we love doing up our houses, even if it means retiling the whole thing every 5 years so no wonder diy markets are aplenty back home.

Most of my friends who stayed back home are doing fine, if you get a job with decent salary you've no reason to emigrate.

I find in continental Europe we tend to be more by the book than here - probably due to the fact our law does not let us get away with many things, especially when it comes to debts - electricity and water get cut off if you don't pay, homes get repossessed and debt collectors will take your sofa and social payments, there's no escaping it

We drive cars older than here, a lot of petrol cars converted to LPG because it's cheaper and we do seem grim and serious, but that's just the way we look, we're fun really
andala is offline  
16-09-2020, 14:12   #71
dmrules
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by murpho999 View Post
Ok, strange thing is since the EU expanded in 2004 that Irish unemployment rates have not shot up with this hoards of Eastern Europeans coming over and claiming our social welfare.

Really, you're not saying anything to back it up and anecdotal evidence just because you say you're Eastern European (which I find off as I'd never call myself "Western European", why not state your nationality?) is just not good enough.
Hi, I am here 20 years(used to live in UK for 3 years previously, didn't like it though) I am from Poland. Didn't come to Ireland to save money etc. I like the country , people, good craic, etc. Never been on the dole . Bought the house in 2005. Settled down for good I'd say.
I don't agree with the statement "2004 that Irish unemployment rates have not shot up with this hoards of Eastern Europeans coming over and claiming our social welfare"
I thought that recession was the reason of huge numbers signing up for the dole not "hoards of EE coming here claiming our social welfare" ( claiming our jobs )

Thanks
dmrules is offline  
16-09-2020, 14:16   #72
ohnonotgmail
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 24,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmrules View Post
Hi, I am here 20 years(used to live in UK for 3 years previously, didn't like it though) I am from Poland. Didn't come to Ireland to save money etc. I like the country , people, good craic, etc. Never been on the dole . Bought the house in 2005. Settled down for good I'd say.
I don't agree with the statement "2004 that Irish unemployment rates have not shot up with this hoards of Eastern Europeans coming over and claiming our social welfare"
I thought that recession was the reason of huge numbers signing up for the dole not "hoards of EE coming here claiming our social welfare" ( claiming our jobs )

Thanks
you are disagreeing with somebody who is saying the same thing as you.
ohnonotgmail is offline  
Thanks from:
16-09-2020, 14:23   #73
dmrules
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 137
Thanks, missed the "not" in that poster's response sorry
dmrules is offline  
16-09-2020, 14:49   #74
jmayo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 11,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTH2009 View Post
just curious how bad is Eastern Europe if we're getting so much migration too here of all places

Is it over populated and jobs are hard to come by ?
They seem large countries with the same service's as us
Sorry to nitpick, but a fair few people here are referencing the likes of Czech Republic, Poland, Hungary, Slovakia when afaik a lot of these people see themselves as Central European and definitely not Eastern European.

They see Eastern Europe as really the former Soviet states.

I have been chastised about this by Polish colleagues.

People have moved here and the likes of UK because standard of living is better.
And the standard of living depends on the country in question.
Czech Republic, Slovakia, Estonia, Hungary would definitely be far better than say Moldova, Romania, Belarus.


Quote:
Originally Posted by CQD View Post
The women get more beautiful the further east you go..
Estonia women are hot.
jmayo is offline  
16-09-2020, 14:54   #75
AndyBoBandy
Moderator
 
AndyBoBandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 8,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmayo View Post
Sorry to nitpick, but a fair few people here are referencing the likes of Czech Republic, Poland, Hungary, Slovakia when afaik a lot of these people see themselves as Central European and definitely not Eastern European.

They see Eastern Europe as really the former Soviet states.
Poland although not in the Soviet State, might as well have been as they were run by Moscow.

Lithuania/Latvia/Estonia are collectively known as the Baltic States, and don't consider themselves to be Eastern Europe
AndyBoBandy is offline  
(2) thanks from:
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet