Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have cinemas gone to the dogs?

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

I am much more inclined to see a movie if it is showing in The Lighthouse. If not, I usually wait to rent it on Google Play or iTunes because the distractions in a cinema due to talking, phone calls, phone light, seat kicking, etc just lessen the enjoyment of the film for me. I wish it didn't bother me, but it does.

I do like seeing blockbuster movies in the cinema though. About 10 times a year, I go to a cinema on Saturday morning out in the suburbs and it is always very quiet.

I think this should become law: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_A-KV_xkrnc

• Registered Users Posts: 15,504 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I am happy you have had good experiences.:)

What cinema do you usually visit out of interest as some are right kips?

I go to Vue sometimes and Odeon at the Point other times. I used to go to the Savoy as well but its ruined now.
    Caliden wrote: »
    Looks like a ****e cinema to be honest.

Movies@Dundrum have massive screens and the Stella cinema in Rathmines is an experience everyone should try.

Yes Dundrum cinema is lovely but its not the easiest for me to get there so its rare I go there and it would be great if they had better deals.
    gmisk wrote: »
    Maybe go to a different cinema?
    Or go at the quiet times? - thats what I tend to do with bigger cinemas, the point odeon is great for a blockbuster and tends to be dead.

I agree the point Odeon is nice. I would not say its dead do just quiet but I have seen it busy too.
    CrankyHaus wrote: »
    +1 for The Lighthouse. Never had a bad experience there.
    Dunkirk on 70mm in the IFI was also incredible (got the recommendation here so thanks).

Multiplex cinemas are luck of the draw, a good film can be ruined or at least tarnished by a bad crowd. Off the top of my head this happened to me with Arrival and Shape of Water (some young wan laughing during the fish romance shattered the suspension of disbelief).

Some cinemas are going to the dogs: Cineworld feels like nothing is spent on it, the savoy isn't far behind, the screen had missing roof panels and sound leakage between cinemas before it closed, point village used to have lift buttons that gave you an electric shock (MGT co dispute I know, but still). Vote with your feet and go to the good ones.

Never got a shock of the lift buttons but did get a shock of the escalators.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,772 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Sorry read the thread title wrong.

Thought it was "have dogs gone to the cinema".

Carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

mfceiling wrote: »
    Sorry read the thread title wrong.

Thought it was "have dogs gone to the cinema".

Carry on.

There actually have been dog screenings for Wes Anderson's Isle of Dogs so the answer is actually yes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

I utterly detest those inconsiderate dregs of society who simply lack respect for those around when when in a environment like a cinema. It doesn't register with them at all, but what drives me mental is when you politely ask them to stop having a debate or discussing what just happened etc, their reactions are what get me. Yes there genuine people who dont realise they are disrupting people and they dont do it again, its the ones who talk back or tut or who get thick after turning around the second time. This happens in particular cinemas in areas that attract these ejits. The youth are as bad as the elders. I have had to many bad experiences to list.

I go out of my way to go to the lighthouse to see particular films, its like an occasion to me because the type of crowd it attracts are respectable. When I have the time, I go to the odeon in the point village, each time i go there is me and 4 or less people in the cinema. Its ideal for me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement