Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hungary Scrap Gender Studies Indoctrination Courses

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller Returns

Putinbot wrote: »
    I think it should be allowed. But you have to remember,just because there is a course on a subject doesn't mean it's right. Sure theirs courses on astrology and we all know that that is horsesh!t.

It is allowed. The State isn't paying for it because it's worthless.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,113 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

batgoat wrote: »
    You two are genuinely reading like people who would have been praising Hitler in his fight against the 'globalist agenda'. The rhetoric, the behaviour of the regime etc aren't dissimilar. Dick, it's not according to me, it's according to numerous human rights orgs across the globe. It's simply that you two are so anti immigrant and right wing in your viewpoints, you're incapable of seeing how bad things are getting over there.

They know how bad it is but they don't care. They like it when these minorities are oppressed. They like it when the government shuts down media that disagrees with it. They like it when the government brings it's politics onto a campus. They know full well what Orban is like and they love him for it. They wish every country was like it.

You two are genuinely reading like people who would have been praising Hitler in his fight against the 'globalist agenda'. The rhetoric, the behaviour of the regime etc aren't dissimilar. Dick, it's not according to me, it's according to numerous human rights orgs across the globe. It's simply that you two are so anti immigrant and right wing in your viewpoints, you're incapable of seeing how bad things are getting over there.

Ah I see you're coming from the the everyone who disagrees with me is Hitler school of political thought. I thought you would be in favour of democracy. Or is it only when you like it?

Grayson wrote: »
    They know how bad it is but they don't care. They like it when these minorities are oppressed. They like it when the government shuts down media that disagrees with it. They like it when the government brings it's politics onto a campus. They know full well what Orban is like and they love him for it. They wish every country was like it.

Ah we have a professional mind reader.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭leonffrench

Gender Studies Degree ? 20 grand in debt at 22 with a piece of paper not worth a cent.

Great news - perhaps students can now get back to actual learning and not this rubbish.

Hey that's not true.... they recently opened a huge gender studies factory in Hungary and are crying out for workers with that qualification

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,850 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It is allowed. The State isn't paying for it because it's worthless.

Yet our state pays for religious education, which is worthless, and theology degrees...

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭TheDavester

Hey that's not true.... they recently opened a huge gender studies factory in Hungary and are crying out for workers with that qualification

And Subway are always looking for staff

Ah we have a professional mind reader.

I was right though. You'd love it if the government shut down every single college course that has any kind of left leaning curriculum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

Isn't this the same "dictator" that had laid out these promises such as forcing NGOs to show where every penny they got before his election and was re-elected in a landslide by the Hungarian people?

Imagine that, a people electing a politician who promised to not let them be overrun with illegal chancers or let the EU force quotas on then again the people's will, a people who were given a vote a year or two ago on whether they wanted any migrants taken in and clearly said no. A people that want all NGOs and Charities to lay out all their funding in case of foreign organisations or individuals pumping in cash to meddle in domestic affairs

It's almost like the people are guilty of thinking the wrong way, that could never be it surely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Ah I see you're coming from the the everyone who disagrees with me is Hitler school of political thought. I thought you would be in favour of democracy. Or is it only when you like it?

No, it's based on how much outright propaganda his government uses. Ireland is a lot more democratic than Hungary is presently. You clearly don't give a damn about democracy and like the fact that the views you hold in are reflected in a government, the means that they use don't matter to you. Human rights violations don't matter to you. There's a reason why Hungary is being viewed more and more as authoritarian.

Here's a piece on press freedom in Hungary. You'll likely view it as a stand against the globalist agenda.
    http://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/hungary-sinks-ever-lower-on-press-freedoms-a-1206094.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

meeeeh wrote: »
    Bwahahaha. Oh ok.

So how well did you study both to come up with this educated opinion?

Bwahahaha I don't have to study linguistics or philosophy to know they're established academic subjects.
    And sociology is not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭2 Scoops

"Ideology rather than science" is their stance which I believe has a lot of truth to it. Students are betting off taking courses that will help them in the labour market and get them ready for the real world.

Yet our state pays for religious education, which is worthless, and theology degrees...

Do you ever think about anything. You're far more obsessed with religion than my granny who's devout. I've already responded to that point.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Isn't this the same "dictator" that had laid out these promises such as forcing NGOs to show where every penny they got before his election and was re-elected in a landslide by the Hungarian people?
    And whose immigration policies were put to a referendum which passed with a 95%+ majority. The naysayers boycotted it, which is a really immature way to treat a referendum, but still a greater percentage of the country voted in favour of the immigration policies than voted in favour of same-sex marriage here.

It does appear that some people are slightly intolerant of views other than their own.

Anyone got a course synopsis of what gender studies actually entails btw?

No, it's based on how much outright propaganda his government uses. Ireland is a lot more democratic than Hungary is presently. You clearly don't give a damn about democracy and like the fact that the views you hold in are reflected in a government, the means that they use don't matter to you. Human rights violations don't matter to you. There's a reason why Hungary is being viewed more and more as authoritarian.

Here's a piece on press freedom in Hungary. You'll likely view it as a stand against the globalist agenda.
    http://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/hungary-sinks-ever-lower-on-press-freedoms-a-1206094.html

I'm not a huge fan of democracy, no. Democracy gives us useless, spineless politicians, endless quangos, corruption, mass immigration, a terrible health service, no houses etc. etc.

You're the one who doesn't like so-called democracy and thinks every country should be bullied by allegedly benign NGO who most definitely are completely impartial (sarcasm). As for there being a "reason Hungary is being viewed more and more as authoritarian" why don't you think for yourself instead of believing what everyone else says.

Grayson wrote: »
    I was right though. You'd love it if the government shut down every single college course that has any kind of left leaning curriculum.

When did you discover this incredible mind reading ability? It's astounding.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I presume you equally admire Maduro? They are both made from the same stock.

2 Scoops wrote: »
    "Ideology rather than science" is their stance which I believe has a lot of truth to it. Students are betting off taking courses that will help them in the labour market and get them ready for the real world.

I shouldn't have done those philosophy degrees. They really hurt my chances of getting a job. :rolleyes:

When did you discover this incredible mind reading ability? It's astounding.

Still not denying it are you?

"Fake academic paper published in liberal journal hilariously exposes the absurdity of gender studies" (2017).

Nicolas Guéguen URL="https://arstechnica.com/science/2017/11/researchers-find-oddities-in-high-profile-gender-studies/"]Well worth reading the whole article[/URL
    "Once a paper has been published in a peer-reviewed journal, there are a few options for raising questions about its contents. The journal editors can be contacted to request the correction or retraction of a paper. Or, if multiple papers across different journals are involved, a professional association or university can be asked to jump in. But if a researcher doesn’t cooperate, it can be an achingly slow and fruitless process."

And I could get a crapton more of the above. Simply google it yourselves... Gender Studies "research" is littered with examples of where "researchers"/authors have made up, 'misinterpreted', or pushed their research to support their own agenda(s).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

The thing I don't understand is this:

You have all these lesbians. Most likely licking each other out constantly. Yet, despite all that licking, it's never enough to remove all the sand from their collective gees.

Are they just doing it wrong or what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

I'm not a huge fan of democracy, no. Democracy gives us useless, spineless politicians, endless quangos, corruption, mass immigration, a terrible health service, no houses etc. etc.

You're the one who doesn't like so-called democracy and thinks every country should be bullied by allegedly benign NGO who most definitely are completely impartial (sarcasm). As for there being a "reason Hungary is being viewed more and more as authoritarian" why don't you think for yourself instead of believing what everyone else says.

What's your alternative?

Authoritarianism never works out well, as history has shown.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Taytoland

Putinbot wrote: »
    Taytoland wrote: »
    If you believe it should be taught and funded then you should think similar for creationism right?

I think it should be allowed. But you have to remember,just because there is a course on a subject doesn't mean it's right. Sure theirs courses on astrology and we all know that that is horsesh!t.
    So the state should support such courses? With this argument you will have education on so many loony ideas such as gender studies.

I have seen some saying Hungary is becoming a dictatorship. Hungary had an election recently and the party in government and it's leader won by an absolute mile. Maybe, just maybe the Hungarian people agree with that parties policies on mass uncontrolled immigration and don't want it. Why can't middle class people in this part of the world see that?

"Fake academic paper published in liberal journal hilariously exposes the absurdity of gender studies" (2017).

Nicolas Guéguen URL="https://arstechnica.com/science/2017/11/researchers-find-oddities-in-high-profile-gender-studies/"]Well worth reading the whole article[/URL
    "Once a paper has been published in a peer-reviewed journal, there are a few options for raising questions about its contents. The journal editors can be contacted to request the correction or retraction of a paper. Or, if multiple papers across different journals are involved, a professional association or university can be asked to jump in. But if a researcher doesn’t cooperate, it can be an achingly slow and fruitless process."

And I could get a crapton more of the above. Simply google it yourselves... Gender Studies "research" is littered with examples of where "researchers"/authors have made up, 'misinterpreted', or pushed their research to support their own agenda(s).

There's a completely different story to the one you're telling. That paper was published by cogent. Cogent are a subsidiary of informa and are what's known as a predatory journal.

There's a great article about them here.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2017/jun/27/profitable-business-scientific-publishing-bad-for-science

The fact is that no-one actually cited that work. No-one actually believed it. What the writers exposed wasn't that gender studies is bad but rather that the academic publishing company is dodgy.

And the writers of the article even believe that. The point was to show how dodgy the academic journal was.
    https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2017/05/25/publisher-explains-how-article-about-viewing-male-organ-conceptual-got-published
    https://www.chronicle.com/blogs/ticker/hoax-article-in-social-science-journal-gets-a-rise-out-of-some-scholars/118526
    the complex problem of pay-to-publish journals with lax standards that cash in on the ultra-competitive publish-or-perish academic environment.

The article you linked to decided to go down a completely different route, ignore the dodgy peer review and focus on the subject matter of the paper instead. They ignored that the writers actually paid someone to get the article in the journal.

What's your alternative?

Authoritarianism never works out well, as history has shown.

I haven't figured out an alternative but one thing I can't stand is this constant gushing over 'democracy', whatever it is. As if being given the right to vote for the same useless parties every few years is a fantastic gift we are given.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Keepaneye

Ahhh bless another one who thinks it's about the subject of tge studies and not about making sure political critics are silenced.

This type of childlike naivety is quite endearing among 10 year-olds.

I wouldn't keep tabs on what type of childlike naivety you like to keep abreast of but listen, your little movement is being treated for what it is and it's great to see :).

I presume you equally admire Maduro? They are both made from the same stock.

Why is up to you, a sneering liberal in a prosperous country, to tell the people of Hungary or the Philippines who they should elect? You have a colonial mindset it seems.

One of the Gender studies lecturers in UCD has taken the news well.

https://twitter.com/MaryMcAuliffe4/status/1027934366180286465

Pissing myself laughing at that idiots comments. Of course its another dent in the bullshít industry that leeches like her make their living on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Sal Butamol

I don't think they should be banned.

I just wish that universities would stop pandering to these departments at every opportunity.

Only today I read an article about how white male professors in the UK will now be assigned younger black women as "mentors" to teach them about unconscious bias under a new government-funded scheme

This is the kind of ****e that gets pushed non-stop by these lunatics. This kind of nonsense is already endemic in universities here and is only going to get worse.

What is even worse is that if you dare question or ridicule them, you get targeted straight away for being "problematic".

Some of the worst bully tactics and censorship comes from sociology departments, it is high time that they go put in their place, in the corner with the other cranks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Keepaneye

Pissing myself laughing at that idiots comments. Of course its another dent in the bullshít industry that leeches like her make their living on.

Remember when being a Doctor meant something...?

Advertisement