Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cross Country Training Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭FeenaM

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Hey, don't want to scare the bejasus out of you :eek: The risk of injury could happen anywhere, if you have a weak achilles/calf/hamstring anything could set it off. I just think a cross country race at this stage is placing you closer towards that range of possibility.

From what I know of you, I know you'll be competitive and won't be lurking at the back of the pack, especially when there are team placings at stake. And I get the importance of team, it's why you're in a club :)

How does it fit in with your schedule? Have you done your last lsr yet or what's the plan? Is there any chance you could do a mlr instead if you decide to race?

Ah no, I really appreciate your advice and it is always what I know I should be doing to achieve my best for the DCM. Just not so sure that the marathon is the main thing for me...although I won't be saying that in another week or two! Going to meet the coach tomorrow and have a chat before I decide :)

My plan for the following week has me do my final lsr of 21 on Wednesday or possibly Thursday and then starting to taper :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    I wouldn't think so unless it's wet or mucky but I've never done XC that I can remember where it wasn't wet/cold/freezing/mucky/windy so Sunday could be a whole new experience!

Did you do the novice last year? I think (if I remember rightly) it was dry like this and I wore spikes and they were fine. Or do you think the ground is too hard for spikes? Now I'm unsure which to wear -- i don't want the whole race to feel the way crossing a bit of footpath etc in spikes feels ... decisions, decisions!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

HelenAnne wrote: »
    Did you do the novice last year? I think (if I remember rightly) it was dry like this and I wore spikes and they were fine. Or do you think the ground is too hard for spikes? Now I'm unsure which to wear -- i don't want the whole race to feel the way crossing a bit of footpath etc in spikes feels ... decisions, decisions!

I honestly have no idea. Never had to think about it before. The consensus above seems to be to wear spikes and I'm sure they'll be fine, I just don't see any advantage to wearing them in such dry conditions so I might sacrifice grip for comfort and go with the trail runners. Will bring all the options with me and decide on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Good luck to all tomorrow, race hard!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Notwork Error

pconn062 wrote: »
    Good luck to all tomorrow, race hard!

+1, all the best folks!

• Advertisement

Good luck everyone!

Hope today went well for all doing XC races. Decided to give the Dublin Novice a go and it went grand (thankfully). A very different type of race to anything I've done before but I'll definitely give another few a go, after the marathon ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

^^^^ phew :D

Any results up yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Myles Splitz

^^^^ phew :D

Any results up yet?

Results usually 3-4 days to pop up on the DAB site unfortunately

KU was 4th in the Mens
    14th for myself (unofficial)
    thewolf.ie about 40 sec back
    overpronator about a minute back on him

Think a Crusaders runner won the women's? Didn't see who won the team (was lying on the ground dying despite my very mid-pack finish!)

• Advertisement

Think a Crusaders runner won the women's? Didn't see who won the team (was lying on the ground dying despite my very mid-pack finish 😄)

Team gold for Cru women as well as individual gold.

Close between them and DSD for the mens I reckon to (I had Cru but a number in the club reckon DSD given the top 2 placings)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Turned out to be a pretty good day. Watching the second half of Arsenal - United has helped too.

This morning, I wasn’t sure I’d race and even 15 minutes before the race, I didn’t know whether to wear spikes or heavy trainers just to protect my calf. In the end, I folded a insert (from another shoe) over four times and stuck it under my heel to make an artificial lift for the spikes, which got me through the race.

Brilliant race by KU to finish 4th - not that I saw any of it. I was tempted to say beforehand that I thought he was in with a chance of an individual medal but didn’t want to jinx him!

I was in the 40s after the first lap and just worked my way through to finish one or two spots behind Myles Splitz. It was hard bridging from group to group, particularly on the flat into the wind but, after 4 months of no running, in my first race since February, I’m quite pleased.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Wottle

Close between them and DSD for the mens I reckon to (I had Cru but a number in the club reckon DSD given the top 2 placings)

DSD took it, well done today.

Brilliant! Well done!! Did you score on the team? How did you find it today? I felt like I was simultaneously exhausted and running really slow! There was a bit of a wind, wasn't there?

Think a Crusaders runner won the women's? Didn't see who won the team (was lying on the ground dying despite my very mid-pack finish 😄)

Hope that wasn't you that fainted/dropped just at the finish line?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

XC racing is just great, so tactical. Times not important, just chase the lad/lassie in front and try to beat them. Really enjoyed it, hope everyone got on well. 7th for me in our intermediate race, happy enough. Bring on next week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭climbhigh

FeenaM wrote: »
    Hope that wasn't you that fainted/dropped just at the finish line?

No! I didn't see that! Hope she was ok?
    No, I just lay on the grass for a while feeling a bit dizzy, but was fine. Hope it went well for you?

Brilliant! Well done!! Did you score on the team? How did you find it today? I felt like I was simultaneously exhausted and running really slow! There was a bit of a wind, wasn't there?

Ha ha, no! Tough out there today all right. Happy with my run but nowhere near scoring for the team :o

• Advertisement

Ha ha, no! Tough out there today all right. Happy with my run but nowhere near scoring for the team :o

Really well done! Just saw the results -- your first four scorers were superfast and way up the field! Well done them!

I scored for ours, but we were more mid-pack. We didn't come anywhere in the results but we stayed together pretty well.
    I'd like to have done better and hung on more in the last flat section; I'm hoping speed sessions will help me with that.

Well run everyone, anyway, a good start to the season!

Can anyone help with filling out location and distance (women's) for this list please? TIA

Autumn Open 5k Phoenix Park - 18th October

Leinster Novice and Masters probably 4k 25 Oct Details still TBC according to AI website

Dublin Seniors Tymon Park 1 Nov

Leinster Intermediate 8 Nov details still TBC acc AI website

British and Masters 4k? Santry 14 Nov
    Teachers BHAA 14 Nov

Interclubs Santry Demense - 22nd November

National Novice, St.Augustine's College, Dungarvan, Co.Waterford - 6th December

Wicklow Senior 5k usually mid Dec

Wicklow Masters 4k early Jan

Leinster Senior 17 Jan

National Intermediate & Masters probably 4k Dundalk I.T - 24th January

Intercounties the Curragh 14th February

Leinster Novice and Masters probably 4k 25 Oct Details still TBC according to AI website Moyvalley, Co. Meath

Teachers BHAA 14 Nov Castleknock College

Can't find info on Intermediate but I think I remember someone mentioning Avondale again??

Lovely tx Myles :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Can anyone help with filling out location and distance (women's) for this list please? TIA

Autumn Open 5k Phoenix Park - 18th October

Leinster Novice and Masters probably 4k 25 Oct Details still TBC according to AI website

Dublin Seniors Tymon Park 1 Nov

British and Masters 4k? Santry 14 Nov
    Teachers BHAA 14 Nov

Interclubs Santry Demense - 22nd November 8k

National Novice, St.Augustine's College, Dungarvan, Co.Waterford - 6th December 4k

Wicklow Senior 5k usually mid Dec

Wicklow Masters 4k early Jan

Leinster Senior 17 Jan

National Intermediate & Masters probably 4k Dundalk I.T - 24th January 5k inters 4k masters

Intercounties the Curragh 14th February
    8k intercounties

Also Short course 9 Jan is 4k seniors

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭ronnie085

Is the Teachers bhaa not 17 Oct???

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭ASIMON0V

Leinster Senior 17 Jan, St Senans, Kilmacow, Kilkenny (good venue) 5k

ronnie085 wrote: »
    Is the Teachers bhaa not 17 Oct???

It is! The Saturday. 2 miles for women, 4 for men.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

youngrun wrote: »
    8k intercounties

Also Short course 9 Jan is 4k seniors

Not sure re ladies distance in Masters international? Last year 20mins winner so 5 k ?
    Dont forget to enter if you are going for a green vest! http://www.irishmasterathletics.com/#!british-and-irish-cross-country/cy43

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Thought it'd make more sense to move the discussion here from the Steve Jones thread...
    pconn062 wrote: »
    +1, always a struggle to get people to run XC races in October (and the 1st few weeks in November) as they are running the marathon or recovering from the marathon. Our senior XC is always the Sunday after DCM Monday which is a disaster.

I think Leinster Novice/Masters are always the day before DCM. Not many Dublin teams travel. In fact, the numbers can be lower than the Dublin novice. but it's still a good race at the top end. Donore, Liffey Valley and Sportsworld seem to compete regularly. Crusaders, Raheny and Rathfarnham did in 2013, but not in 2014.

I guess it depends on the club targets, and possibly location too. If you've the same people on Novice/Intermediate/Senior teams for county/province/national races, then it's probably right that it's the provincial race that gets missed.

Do your clubs set squad targets for xc at the beginning of the season? Or is it more discussion between athletes?

Advertisement