Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Aldi meat aisle horrors.

1235»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

TomOnBoard wrote: »

What you don't seem to understand is that hundreds of thousands of ppl in this country (the country of your former allegiance that educated you - not very well I fear as evidenced by your portrayal of extreme entitlement and lack of humility- before the thralls of Germany captured you) rely on the relatively less expensive shopping baskets that have been made possible by the ALDI and LIDLs of this world, particularly after your newly adopted homeland which hosts a plethora of extremely dubious financial institutions helped create a monumental economic meltdown in the country of your birth (I'm assuming here but your posting suggests it) over the past decade.

Oh yeah, big, bad German banks in cahoots with Angela Merkel planned the Irish downfall for years so we could give you billions at a preferred interest rate when no one else would with no guarantee of ever getting it back.
    Nothing to do with the fact that the Irish banking industry shat itself massively through irresponsible gambling, corruption, deception and enabled by light touch legislation from the utterly corrupt and incompetent FF government at the time.
    Need we go further than Bertie telling people to kill themselves because they had the audacity to point out this was going to end in disaster?
    Or that it was the Irish government that decided on the bailout?
    Irish banks sat down at the poker table, went all in and threw their cards down. It was THEIR fault they were left shirtless.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Slideways wrote: »
    Quite funny to see all the salty responses from the posters who clearly care more about the bottom line than their health.

These chickens are like Jordan’s tits, look good from afar but are far from good. You wouldn’t catch me with an asses roar of either.

Just like the mob that claim it’s too expensive to eat healthy. Check yourself before you wreck yourself guys. Lay off the lager and crisps and you might find you can afford to buy the free range chicken. Compliment it with some quinoa instead of a big plate of spuds too

There is nothing more tedious than someone who discovered two You Tube documentaries and Goop website and is now out to educate the world.

Not to mention that all the fun was sucked out of the thread by some who take AVB and themselves way too seriously.

Quite funny to see all the salty responses from the posters who clearly care more about the bottom line than their health.

These chickens are like Jordan’s tits, look good from afar but are far from good. You wouldn’t catch me with an asses roar of either.

Just like the mob that claim it’s too expensive to eat healthy. Check yourself before you wreck yourself guys.

Have you any evidence that the chicken sold in Aldi and Lidl is of inferior quality to that sold in Dunnes/Super Valu/M&S? I can get chicken that's described as free range and organic for significantly cheaper in Aldi/Lidl than it is in Dunnes/Super Valu/M&S so I'd really like to see evidence that it's an inferior product.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

I buy the free range chicken breasts in Aldi, €5.99 for 3. Always buy their 4% fat beef range too, burgers & mince. Turkey rashers and smoked bacon medallions are great.
    It’s not all crap and at a very reasonable price for those on a budget that still care about what they put in their bodies. I don’t even bother with the local butcher any more

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭Kat1170

It was THEIR fault they were left shirtless.

Shirtless ??? I think you'll find that they are doing quite alright Jack, it's the rest of us that will be paying for years to come.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

You must share the location of this Dunnes, or indeed any big supermarket, where the instruction to observe the item limit in the express checkout is actually observed.

I haven't seen a sign in my Dunnes that states an item limit in the express checkout lane. It just says 'baskets only'. So I go there. With my basket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Jucifer

Oh yeah, big, bad German banks in cahoots with Angela Merkel planned the Irish downfall for years so we could give you billions at a preferred interest rate when no one else would with no guarantee of ever getting it back.
    Nothing to do with the fact that the Irish banking industry shat itself massively through irresponsible gambling, corruption, deception and enabled by light touch legislation from the utterly corrupt and incompetent FF government at the time.
    Need we go further than Bertie telling people to kill themselves because they had the audacity to point out this was going to end in disaster?
    Or that it was the Irish government that decided on the bailout?
    Irish banks sat down at the poker table, went all in and threw their cards down. It was THEIR fault they were left shirtless.

We are through the looking glass here people. Angela planned the economic downfall of much of Europe to allow German discount retailers Aldi and Lidl to gain a foothold and proliferate the irish retail market with 4€ chickens and blocks of processed cheese for literally nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Aongus Von Bismarck, what ever you do in life, DON'T come to Australia!

old_aussie wrote:

You're safe enough, I'd say he lives in his parents spare room somewhere near Blanch ;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

old_aussie wrote: »

He doesn’t like Australia(ns) if I remember correctly
    Flying to Australia on important company business. I've mixed feelings about this, as I despise Australia, and to a slightly lesser extent, Australians.

Fruit, croissants, and a bottle of Dom to start. The Dom to wash down the taste of the coffee, which always manages to be horrific. Followed up with a wild mushroom and feta omelette, sweet potato hash, roasted beetroot, sautéed spinach.

OlvS8Gj.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭blackbox

old_aussie wrote: »

In Australia, the chicken breasts look like they came off swans.

Growth hormones?

I’ve been back in Ireland for the past week, spending some quality time with my parents, and my niece and nephew. I’ve just about gotten over the huge disappointment of Galway’s lose to Limerick on Sunday. I was motoring back out from Galway this morning after an early morning hike in the 12 Bens, when I got a call from my Mother asking me to call into the local ADLI to pick up some pots of Play-Doh for my nephew (strange request, but I was very happy to oblige – I’m good like that). Turned the 6-Series around and headed back into town. Mart day today, so there were some serious specimens of muck savage around – men with beetroot red faces, tufts of hair growing on their upper cheeks, pants held up with baling twine, not a full set of teeth between 5 of them.

Now I live in Germany, but it’s safe to say I’m not a regular visitor to German discount supermarkets such as Aldi and Lidl. They have a great business model, and are very popular, but I’m not their target audience as I’ve the disposable income to shop in more artisan and high-end stores. I’ve heard some of their produce can be quite good, but I’m a passionate and talented cook so I’d rather have the choice of more than one type of mushroom for example. Think the food hall in Fallon and Byrne for those of you familiar with the Dublin foodie scene.

I had intended to get in and out there as quickly as possible, but decided I’d have a browse of the products they offer. I was genuinely disgusted to see that you can buy a large chicken for €4. Who buys such a thing? How is it possible to house, feed, medicate, slaughter, package, and distribute a chicken to a supermarket for that price? And one has to presume that there’s profit being taken by the various stakeholders along this most depressing of supply chains. I can’t help but notice that there’s a big problem with Irishmen and ‘moobs’ these days. Surely some of it must be linked to the amount of hormones and growth promoters these chickens are being stuffed with during their short and tragic life?

The litany of food horrors continued – huge packs of sickly pink looking ham branded as ‘Family Value’, bags of chicken nuggets for €1.79, microwavable mashed potato (!!), blocks of heavily processed cheese for literally nothing, baked beans for 29 cent a can. Who eats this muck, and do they ever consider the impact it is having on their own bodies, and the bodies of their families? Probably the same people who then fill the rest of the trolley with bottles of cheap wine that you could use to strip paint from a trawler.

I picked up the Play-Doh from those middle rows they have and left. I was relieved to find that some fat tradesman in a van hadn’t scraped my Beamer despite parking dangerously close to it. I’ve been appalled since though at the idea of that flaccid looking ‘chicken’ wrapped in its clear plastic coffin.

Am I missing something here? Who is the audience for this? And surely they could push the boat out and buy a free-range bird for 7 or 8 euro instead? Maybe eat less, or be more creative with what they do with leftovers?

Mr. Von Bismark, this part of your post reminded me of a scene from an Irish comedy documentary called Paths to Freedom.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

He's alright, but he's no Trent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Fully agree with the OP, cheap meat is a false economy full stop. While our brains will be convinced “it looks like chicken, tastes like chicken, therefore it must be chicken”, as our bodies break it down the charade will be obvious. The consequence of this will be the alleged protein will not materialize and any digestion will not result in nutrients and energy which can be properly utilized. Combine that with the actual poison which the meat resembles due to the torrid conditions the battery animals lived their lives in (the stress alone would result in toxic meat as we acknowledge the impact of stress on our bodies) and the medicine they have been fed in replace of food means that it is poison to the human body to eat this crap. It is just poison to the body and people should watch videos on the life the animals lived to decide if they still believe the cheap meat they are eating is food.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

I think Aldi is missing a great business opportunity by not opening an Aldi Posh next to the ordinary Aldi's...just basically the same stuff but charging 3 times the price :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭jacob2

off to aldi to get the shopping i ll buy two chickens one for good luck them beans give me a lot of wind

• Registered Users Posts: 30,150 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I all supermarkets/butchers/grrengrocers can be hit and miss for quality. Some people will is d anything in a trolley/basket without even looking at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

I was in Austria a few weeks ago and most things in lidl is cheaper there than in Ireland (at least the stuff I normally buy in lidl).

I don't know what everyone is waffleing on about. Whole free-range chicken in Aldi €3.99

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Kat1170 wrote: »
    I don't know what everyone is waffleing on about. Whole free-range chicken in Aldi €3.99

I think it is 5.49 or something, no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I have to say I completely agree on the chicken.

Cheap chicken gives me the absolute heebie jeebies.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,279 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

OSI wrote: »
    Oh Aongus, I've missed your bull****.

He’s some man for 1 man

He painstakingly crafts long long posts of utter bolloxology

Not remotely funny and a waste of time for all concerned

wonski wrote:
    I think it is 5.49 or something, no?

Not today in Blessington. €3.99 each.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Kat1170 wrote: »
    Shirtless ??? I think you'll find that they are doing quite alright Jack, it's the rest of us that will be paying for years to come.

Doing alright now. Not so much back then.
    If you remember correctly, they went into the government, arms swinging, singing "Deutschland, Deutschland über alles..." with figures pulled out of their arse and Brian Lenihan folded like origami and handed them billions.
    This was sold to the Irish people as "the cheapest bailout ever" (due to the "soft landing" just before) by Biffo.
    The IMF and ECB just provided what was asked for. The money was already gone, stuffed down the gullets of the banks that were "too big to fail".

As a side note, I remember a radio interview where a UK financial expert said in about 2006 that the Irish are overplaying it and they'd want to be careful.
    The response of the Irish "expert" was "maybe we're doing it right and the rest of the world should copy us instead of pointing fingers".
    The English guest nearly fell off his chair and his exact response was " I have to pick myself up off the floor, I'm so gobsmacked".
    The Germans are the very last people to blame for the Irish crash. I remember the time well. I had a house overlooking the Burren, when the Galway Races were on there was a steady stream oft helicopters.
    You could taste the arrogance in the air.
    It was my absolute least favourite time in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

DoozerT6 wrote: »
    I haven't seen a sign in my Dunnes that states an item limit in the express checkout lane. It just says 'baskets only'. So I go there. With my basket.

Do you do that thing where you stack as much as is humanely possible into a basket and then do that innocent-whistle-look-around-as-not-to-catch-the-eye-of-mugs-with-two-items-at-the-self-service-checkout-oroginally-designed-for-express-shopping?

Irish people: hiding behind nominal ambiguities of regulation in order to dodge basic social decency since forever

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Don't eat meat.. and the cats and dog love all raw chicken ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

That’s very true, Harry. Those 6 tasteless salad tomatoes in a plastic container that you find in Irish supermarkets are not up to scratch at all. The 80’s are long gone, so there’s absolutely no excuse for Birds custard, Paxo stuffing, Bisto gravy, or those horrible watery pale red tomatoes. They belong in the same era as buying the RTE Guide, wearing bootcut jeans, and covering school books in brown paper.

I’m flying back to Germany on Sunday morning, but have been lucky enough to have been around to sample the tomatoes that my Father has been growing in the glasshouse I bought him for his birthday a number of years ago. Bright red, juicy, and bursting with flavour. Delicious just to eat on their own, but I used some of them to make a few jars of passata. Which will be going into one of my suitcases for the journey back. I’m hoping to play a trick on one of my Italian colleagues by trying to pass it off as something I bought on a farm just outside Naples.

Bird’s Custard is delicious. And, yes, I’ve had homemade custard plenty of times. I believe Bird’s was developed by someone whose wife had an egg allergy. A clever invention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Just like the mob that claim it’s too expensive to eat healthy. Check yourself before you wreck yourself guys. Lay off the lager and crisps and you might find you can afford to buy the free range chicken. Compliment it with some quinoa instead of a big plate of spuds too

Quinoa and spuds are probably much of a muchness in the health stakes. In addition, the West’s increasing greed for the stuff is pushing up the price of the grain for the people who have been using it as their version of potatoes for centuries. I’ll stick with potatoes, thanks.
    Do you do that thing where you stack as much as is humanely possible into a basket and then do that innocent-whistle-look-around-as-not-to-catch-the-eye-of-mugs-with-two-items-at-the-self-service-checkout-oroginally-designed-for-express-shopping?

Irish people: hiding behind nominal ambiguities of regulation in order to dodge basic social decency since forever

Except yourself, of course.

Advertisement