Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Xbox Series X

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,801 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Think it looks ugly and the name has a bang of WiiU about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

TitianGerm wrote: »
    If some Photoshop wizard could scale the photos so the controllers are the same size it'd give a good idea of console size.

I'm sure some scientician is on is as we speak :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,801 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If it's too big it's impractical and in countries like Japan where living space is at a premium It can pretty much sink a system.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    If it's too big it's impractical and in countries like Japan where living space is at a premium It can pretty much sink a system.

Ha, as if Xbox has a chance in Japan, I think it's still being outsold by the Atari Jaguar there.

In terms of size, Windows Central extrapolated the size of the entire console from the USB port.

9BEjDbnl.jpg

You can see the rest of the article here.

I'm looking forward to seeing how Sony deal with the heat/noise problem. I can't see many ways of dealing with the heat other than designing around a deep 120mm fan. I wouldn't be shocked of Sony end up with a similar platform, I really don't think that final console will look like the dev kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,749 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

It will fit into my Ikea kallax shelf so but only just. It has 13inch square shelves. So half an inch to spare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Interesting times if Microsoft are to retake the title of console king for the next generation they need to have decent release titles, they also need an anchor game like Halo.

Saying that Microsoft is killing it with the ultimate gamepass/live combination. After saying I would not be an early adopter after the xbox one the package they are building has meant I will be.

I am loving the idea of playing stuff on my pc and when I get tired of that going and playing on the couch.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Was wondering myself why you'd want 2 games running, but then I figured you could be playing a game by yourself, get a message telling you to jump on Call of Duty multiplayer or something, so can suspend what you're playing, play CoD then go back when done.

Perhaps it's because I've got Game Pass, but I swap between games pretty regularly these days. I currently playing through Metro Exodus, but I've dipped into Dishonoured 2, The Outer Worlds, and Rise & Shine.
    CastorTroy wrote: »
    As for backwards compatibility, I wonder if it'll be proper BC or the same as the Xbox One, where they choose what they're adding when they want.

It'll be the same as Xbox One, and it's not that they're choosing which ones to add, it's which ones that they can program the emulator to run. Still hundreds of Xbox One games, and a good couple of dozen original Xbox games. There's also licensing to consider as well, they need to get permission to add the games in the first place, and sometimes that can be extremely difficult even with the best will in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,749 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

They decided 2 or 3 years ago to move from being hardware focussed to being software/service focussed.

I turned on the xbox and Gamepass had Rage 2, metro, Outer worlds, gears 5 waiting.

As long as you have their sub it doesnt matter if you are on xbox one s, one x, pc, series X, switch, mobile you will be able to play their games.

Sony will have to up their game. For once i think gamers are going to get a great deal.

They decided 2 or 3 years ago to move from being hardware focussed to being software/service focussed.

I turned on the xbox and Gamepass had Rage 2, metro, Outer worlds, gears 5 waiting.

As long as you have their sub it doesnt matter if you are on xbox one s, one x, pc, series X, switch, mobile you will be able to play their games.

Sony will have to up their game. For once i think gamers are going to get a great deal.

This is it, they seem fighting ready for the next gen. I will still buy the sony offering as well but right now its good to see Microsoft have learnt from the xbox one launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,806 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I don't like it, but at the same time I don't hate it. It's actually growing on me, and I think it wouldn't look out of place beside a tv. Doesn't appear to be that big either, just above 2 discs tall, and I'd imagine just above a disc wide all around. I didn't delve in MS at all this gen, and I don't feel like I've missed anything with the One and One X. I'm a bit worried about all the studios MS have purchased, so I can already see myself getting 1 of these, but I'll still be a Sony fan and have a PS5 anyway.

Like others, I couldn't care less if you can suspend multiple games, even with the recent purchase of PS Now I still won't be playing more than 1 game at a time, and I never really dip in and out of games, I either finish them and move on, or just move on. Also couldn't care less about backwards compatability, just having PS4 support would do me. With PS Now, I have loads of PS2 and PS3 games to play, and not an interest in any of them really. I move with the times, and most games I find very hard to go back to if there's a drop in graphics compared to modern games.

As long as they're not jet engines, I'll be happy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,793 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I wonder if this comes as a surprise to Sony and if it'll change their reveal plans. I don't think it will as they revealed the PS4 after the One, leading to them being able to take digs at them.

I think Game Pass could go the way of Plus next gen. Plus was an option on the PS3 so they had appealing games but when it became more of a necessity on PS4 they cut the number of games and the quality, for the most part.
    So if Microsoft get a decent install base next gen they could stop making new releases available day one on Game Pass

• Registered Users Posts: 13,806 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'm gonna take a guess, based on absolutely nothing at all, and say that when the SX appears, you will still get the One version on release date and a discount for the SX version. Can't see them putting brand new releases on the SX in games pass. It was grand to do it for the last while, coming to the end of a consoles life (technically - it's about 3 years from when MS stopped producing the 360 after 11 years), but doing it at the release and early life of a console is surely madness?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

So can this lay sideways?

Calhoun wrote: »
    Interesting times if Microsoft are to retake the title of console king for the next generation they need to have decent release titles, they also need an anchor game like Halo.

Saying that Microsoft is killing it with the ultimate gamepass/live combination. After saying I would not be an early adopter after the xbox one the package they are building has meant I will be.

I am loving the idea of playing stuff on my pc and when I get tired of that going and playing on the couch.

They need a usp and I'm just not seeing it here.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,135 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I'm gonna take a guess, based on absolutely nothing at all, and say that when the SX appears, you will still get the One version on release date and a discount for the SX version. Can't see them putting brand new releases on the SX in games pass. It was grand to do it for the last while, coming to the end of a consoles life (technically - it's about 3 years from when MS stopped producing the 360 after 11 years), but doing it at the release and early life of a console is surely madness?

Remember all their first party games are going to be on pc too where no one would be using their store front if it wasn't for game pass. They'll also be pushing their streaming service big time too where the main selling point to people with no console or PC will be the game pass library.

Excluding the SX from that would be closer to madness than what you're saying imo. What better selling point for a console than not having to shell out full price for the games on launch.

Microsoft have said it is designed to be virtually silent which limits their design options especially considering it needs to be sub €500 retail.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

Calhoun wrote: »

Pretty sure it's been confirmed that Halo Infinite will be a launch title for the Series X.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Really like this new design, something very minimilistic yet very elegant to it. Will sit nicely along side my sub. Hope they also release a white version of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

goon_magee wrote: »
    Pretty sure it's been confirmed that Halo Infinite will be a launch title for the Series X.

I am on board with the new Xbox, I skipped the One this time around so will get this at launch

I think the new Infinite game is also on PC isn't it?

I was playing Reach last night on PC and it looks spectacular, mechanics on the game haven't aged well to be fair...

I think "Xbox Series X" is not the name of any single console.

I think it'll be Xbox X-suffix as in : Xbox XS, Xbox XR etc. Or for example Xbox X Slim, Xbox X Pro.
    With this type of naming scheme you can see how they would all be Series X consoles.

• Advertisement

Fieldog wrote: »
    I am on board with the new Xbox, I skipped the One this time around so will get this at launch

I think the new Infinite game is also on PC isn't it?

I was playing Reach last night on PC and it looks spectacular, mechanics on the game haven't aged well to be fair...

Griffball is amazing but the rest you are correct. Halo 5 had decent gameplay.

Yes infinite is going to be cross platform which I don't see as an issue but a boon. Especially if they nail gamepass and can keep the current catalogue of games on it for the new system.

They really need some unique IP though PS4 has them beat hands down currently with exclusives .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭Homelander

I have been playing Reach on PC and it's still a great game. The armor abilities are dated compared to modern games, I mean only being able to sprint in bursts is a pain - but it is a 10 year old game. Still holds up really well I think, great fun to play especially custom games. I thought Halo 5 wasn't very good and it sort of killed my interest in Halo, but will still play Infinite on Gamepass.

Not sure I will get this new Xbox. I had the original Xbox, the 360, the One and the One X, but I ended up playing the Ps4 Pro 90% of the time because a) the best exclusives are on it and b) most of my friends also have PS4 for same reason. Last gen we all had the 360. MS really screwed up big time with the exclusives.

I have been using the Xbox more for multiplatform games due to the better graphics on the one x . I have also been using gamepass to its full advantage.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Homelander wrote: »

Not sure I will get this new Xbox. I had the original Xbox, the 360, the One and the One X, but I ended up playing the Ps4 Pro 90% of the time because a) the best exclusives are on it and b) most of my friends also have PS4 for same reason. Last gen we all had the 360. MS really screwed up big time with the exclusives.

I too had a 360 from day 1 and most of my friends were also on same platform. I disliked the xbox one from day 1 so never bought into it. I had no interest in kinect and there were no exclusives worth playing. By the time the Xbox One X launched I was too far into buying PS4 titles, then Switch titles to even bother. Most of my friends migrated to the PS4 or Switch too.

However, I am hoping that the Xbox Series X will bring the Xbox back to the 360 glory days. I love the look of this new console and there is no kinect gimmick this time around. The Xbox Games Pass is a huge reason to convince me to get this next machine with such a vast library of relatively new games. Hopefully they will also deliver on exclusives this time around. I'll be monitoring the progress of the Series X over this year and may well end up buying one next Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Arcadeheroes

I like the look of the new system. Microsoft confirming it will continue its backwards compatibility feature among 3 generations of systems means I do not need to upgrade my pc ever again. Really looking forward to next gen

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Gonzo wrote: »
    I too had a 360 from day 1 and most of my friends were also on same platform. I disliked the xbox one from day 1 so never bought into it. I had no interest in kinect and there were no exclusives worth playing. By the time the Xbox One X launched I was too far into buying PS4 titles, then Switch titles to even bother. Most of my friends migrated to the PS4 or Switch too.

Think most people abandoned the Xbox last gen. Towards the end of the 360's lifespan it kinda hit a wall with exclusive games; it was Gears, Forza & Halo in rotation. They ruined Fable by rushing 3 & then making a kinect game, an xbla game & a 4v1 multiplayer game.
    Games like Project Gotham, Crackdown, Alan Wake, Lost Odyssey & Viva Pinata I enjoyed but they just became few & far between the later it went into the 360 lifestyle. This came back to bite them.
    I'd love to see a new IP from them that looks as exciting as Gears was for the Xbox 360.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'll certainly be buying it but my XB1 has gotten the least play of all the current gen formats in my collection, certainly nothing like the mainstay the 360 was.
    I'm hoping for better with this, but I think it'll depend on the exclusives

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

Microsoft have said it is designed to be virtually silent which limits their design options especially considering it needs to be sub €500 retail.

My X and Pro are practically silent. Not a sound from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,797 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

SMC92Ian wrote: »
    My X and Pro are practically silent. Not a sound from them.

The new consoles will have much beefier GPUs and CPUs though so cooling will need to be better for next gen.

Plenty of reports of not X and Pro being extremely loud with certain games though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭Homelander

Gpus and processors use less power with advancements, not more, particularly in the midrange, which is what console's tend to have. The new Xbox is Navi based so even say it's roughly a lower power 5700XT, even though it would be twice as fast as what's in the Xbox One X (roughly an rx580) it would use similar power. Overall with a decent cooling solution there's no reason it wouldn't be quietish.

Advertisement