Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Weekends boxing 02/11 Taylor v Linardatou, Canelo vs Kovalev

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,584 ✭✭✭✭walshb

It’s a pretty tame fight...

90 percent of all shots not scoring!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Taylor lucky at the end of that one

Not scoring rds, but Greek lass the one pressing it all night...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Katie's a fine boxer but she is seriously lacking in power.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Morrison J

I think one of Katie's main weaknesses is her gas tank

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,977 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Morrison J wrote: »
    I think one of Katie's main weaknesses is her gas tank

... and her boring voice!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,286 ✭✭✭megadodge

That was a comfortable win for Katie.

The scorecards shouldn't be close.

I love Katie, but just a little let down tonight..

Like she went in trying to poke and peck and nick the fight here and there...

Just no real decent scoring offence from her. And on the backfoot all night...

Am I alone? Had she been scoring clean, consistent and clear I wouldn’t be saying this...

NIMAN wrote: »
    ... and her boring voice!

No need at all for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

walshb wrote: »

Am I alone? Had she been scoring clean, consistent and clear I wouldn’t be saying this...

I think she made her opponent miss more than she went hitting herself,

close but should go to Taylor.

• Advertisement

From being a huge supporter and champion for Katie in the amateurs, I ave next to no real interest in her pro journey.......it's just boring.

You have "next to no real interest" yet you proceed to post more on this thread than anyone else?

Delighted for her. Credit to this country...

megadodge wrote: »
    You have "next to no real interest" yet you proceed to post more on this thread than anyone else?

I thought that showing tonight was boring...

I thought that showing tonight was boring...

Way to miss the point.

On the backfoot all night is how she needs to fight every fight. Opponent had a loose jagged style that made it hard to land clean consistently to be fair.

The eye closing aside, Taylor made that as comfortable as she could have really. Was surprised the cards were as close as they were.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Is it over.? did she win.?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,437 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Well that was a better performance then her last fight when it was very close.

megadodge wrote: »
    Way to miss the point.

Not sure what point you were making..

I have no real interest, but that doesn’t mean I won’t watch her..

I have a tv. It’s on tv, and I like boxing...

Her pro journey doesn’t really get me..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭selectamatic

I feel this will be her approach from now on. No over committing make sure the gas tank is well fit to last the full fight and rely on movement and accurate combos for scoring.

I felt she won clearly enough tonight. Had linardatou hitting fresh air a lot of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Good win for Katie.
    I don't think I'm gonna bother watching Crolla.

• Advertisement

Morrison J wrote: »
    On the backfoot all night is how she needs to fight every fight. Opponent had a loose jagged style that made it hard to land clean consistently to be fair.

The eye closing aside, Taylor made that as comfortable as she could have really. Was surprised the cards were as close as they were.

No issue with how she decided to win. Maybe it’s my eyesight, but she was barely landing. On the backfoot all night is fine, but show me some actual clean offence. I just wasn’t seeing it...

Put a little bit of a beating on your opponent. That’s not too much to ask for, in a boxing match, is it?

It’s not like the opponent was some big strong monster. Very ordinary opponent...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Not an exciting fight, but happy for her to have the victory.

Is it that people are listening to the commentary and any time Taylor let’s a punch go, whether it misses or glances, it’s credited?

Serious question: was there really many clean effective punches landed? To me the percentage looked very low..

Adam Smith was do desperate o praise that he was wetting himself over ring utilisation...it’s a boxing match for chrissake, not figure skating!

Crolla, sorry pal...have to wash me hair...

Good luck in your farewell bout!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Crolla, sorry pal...have to wash me hair...

Good luck in your farewell bout!

Match of the day starts at 10.30. I'll give him until then I suppose

Not sure what point you were making..

I have no real interest, but that doesn’t mean I won’t watch her..

I have a tv. It’s on tv, and I like boxing...

Her pro journey doesn’t really get me..

I'll try to make this as simple as possible, but....

I don't like soccer.

I have "no interest" in watching one shower of fairies trying to outcheat the other.

Therefore....
    I don't watch soccer.
    I don't post about soccer.
    I don't talk about soccer.

You claim to have "next to no interest" in Katie's pro career and then proceed to go on and on and on and on about something you have no interest in! That's a complete contradiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Taylor did more than enough to win, but again probably not as impressive as many of us were hoping for.

I was happy to see her box off the back door, but I'd have like to see the occasional body shot or more spiteful shot to the head from her to try and stop Linardatou's advances.

She's unbeaten, she unified the Lightweight division and has picked up a World title at Light-Welterweight.....but I feel she's racing against the clock to achieve her legacy.
    Not because of her own age, but because the talent pool is growing in Women's boxing and she's just about getting it done as is.
    I'm hoping she'll have enough to beat Serrano, Persoon in a rematch and an old Braekhus, but if she does achieve that, I'd hope even more she calls it a day there.

Ironically a victim of her own success. She's helped draw attention to women's pro boxing, which is bringing more money to it and prestige, and therefore convincing more to turn over.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Is it that people are listening to the commentary and any time Taylor let’s a punch go, whether it misses or glances, it’s credited?

Serious question: was there really many clean effective punches landed? To me the percentage looked very low..

Adam Smith was do desperate o praise that he was wetting himself over ring utilisation...it’s a boxing match for chrissake, not figure skating!

She landed enough from where i was watching, fought clever good fight. Loads of skill and class, far from boring in my eyes.

I dont know why you wouldnt be impressed tbh. Someone lacking any strength or power as you claim surely needs to find alternative methods of winning. I figured it might meet your approval, but seems not.

Crolla’s career really wasn’t significant enough to justify all of this in fairness. Says more about how stale British boxing has become that they have to use this as an excuse to fill a date.

• Advertisement

She landed enough from where i was watching, fought clever good fight. Loads of skill and class, far from boring in my eyes.

I dont know why you wouldnt be impressed tbh. Someone lacking any strength or power as you claim surely needs to find alternative methods of winning. I figured it might meet your approval, but seems not.

Like I said, maybe the eyes are going..

I struggled to see any real decent clean and effective shots landing.

The whole fight she was pushed back trying to nick shots here and there, but I wasn’t seeing any good shots...

I am not asking for toe to toe wars here. But it’s boxing, not tickling. Gimme some decent offence...

I have seen her fight and perform far better than this...

Advertisement