Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Outer Wilds

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Just bought this, all I've seen are a couple of screenshots on the psn page, no idea how it even plays but sounds too intriguing not to try and feel it might be better going in as blind as possible.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Just bought this, all I've seen are a couple of screenshots on the psn page, no idea how it even plays but sounds too intriguing not to try and feel it might be better going in as blind as possible.

Ah you're in for a real treat so.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,806 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

... it might be better going in as blind as possible.

100%, I knew very little about this, and even though I haven't played it in a while, it was amazing to experience it all without anything being ruined. Enjoy!

Wow, what an awesome little game this is. I don't know what the **** is going on but i love it. I have watched the sun a few times now so it's thing and it's terrifying and fantastic at the same time. I need to find out what's going on in this solar system.

I tried to fly to .... Crap can't remember the name, brittle something... Anyway, my flight skills absolutely suck but once i finally got it on my sights, i crashed into a moon. I thought the game glitched but it was actually my ship had ripped apart. I guess some damage can't be repaired?

Happened to crash right beside the Whistler so spent my last few minutes listening to him and watching the world burn. Just beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,806 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Brittle Hollow! The urge to jump into the black hole........

I find the flying the hardest part too. Took a while before I got to rough grips with it, and I'm still far from being able to fly properly and apparently oblivious to gravitational pull! And Dark Bramble is mental!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Brittle Hollow! The urge to jump into the black hole........

I find the flying the hardest part too. Took a while before I got to rough grips with it, and I'm still far from being able to fly properly and apparently oblivious to gravitational pull! And Dark Bramble is mental!

Something finally clicked with me and the flying last night, I wasn't holding the left bumper and using the right stick to rotate the ship when approaching a planet, this often resulted in me coming in at a bad angle and ending up waiting until the planets gravity naturally turned me right way up, usually landing me miles form where I wanted to be. Now I find I can pick my preferred landmark from Orbit and get set down relatively close to it.

New patch out, 4gb on ps4. Included is 'significant performance boost, especially on ps4 pro'. Really glad to here this because my game has been very choppy in the movement, looking forward to seeing if this improves it.

Full notes:

https://www.mobiusdigitalgames.com/blog/patch-104-is-out

Worth taking a look at the trophies/achievements they are likely things you'd not think to do but can have interesting results.

Giants Deep is just incredible, holy ****, the design alone.

The twins were the ones I thought wow in terms of design and the number of times I carelessly parked the ship there in the path of the sand :rolleyes:

I really hope they get the recognition at the game awards and publicity from it.

• Advertisement

Haven't gone to the twins yet. Went back to brittle hollow to follow the breadcrumbs, fell into a black hole which was great craic. Went back again and found an
    escape pod
    , followed the crumbs again which brought me in the same direction as before but from a different point of view. My mouth was just open as i was traversing and then boom, fell but managed to survive in ruins until i came across bastard ghost matter.

Each time i wake up, i FEEL like i know this galaxy a bit more, i want to know what happened, i want to find the secrets.

I was waiting for a sale on this but glad I've given the devs full asking price.

Had to check out the twins before calling it a night, found myself underground, found
    a big ****ing monster skeleton, had to go down that tunnel when it said not to :). Kept wondering around until i got lost and killed by rising sand.
    Yeah, these Devs definitely need some awards for this.

I just wish i could fly better, i have one landing technique and that's to crash into destination at great speed.

I think I'm finally closing in on the end, I have an Idea of what I have to do, but still need to figure out the process.

spoilers ahead.
    Been to dark bramble and found the vessel, I assume the three sided thing on the bridge is where I input the co-ordinates of they eye, which I retrieved from under giants deep. The only problem is I notice the warp core seems to be damaged, but I havent seen that particular hourglass shaped powercell anywhere else yet.
    I've also been to the quantum moon, and I'm not ashamed to say that I had to look up a guide on how to solve what to do with the tower, I would have been there until eternity trying to figure it out. I don't feel too bad though, the only other thing I've looked up so far is the jellyfish - which I would have discovered for myself had I not forgotten about dark bramble.

I've also just noticed while browsing the planet maps, that there is a station orbiting the sun, that I havent been to yet, so thats next on my agenda

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I think I'm finally closing in on the end, I have an Idea of what I have to do, but still need to figure out the process.

spoilers ahead.
    Been to dark bramble and found the vessel, I assume the three sided thing on the bridge is where I input the co-ordinates of they eye, which I retrieved from under giants deep. The only problem is I notice the warp core seems to be damaged, but I havent seen that particular hourglass shaped powercell anywhere else yet.
    I've also been to the quantum moon, and I'm not ashamed to say that I had to look up a guide on how to solve what to do with the tower, I would have been there until eternity trying to figure it out. I don't feel too bad though, the only other thing I've looked up so far is the jellyfish - which I would have discovered for myself had I not forgotten about dark bramble.

I've also just noticed while browsing the planet maps, that there is a station orbiting the sun, that I havent been to yet, so thats next on my agenda

There's an achievement for
    landing on the sun station. Needless to say that's not the only way to get there though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

spoilers ahead.
    You’re nearly there, and as you’ve twigged the warp core is the key. I’d recommend having a gander around Ash Twin - this was actually the trickiest bit when the game first came out but believe they’ve clarified the clues around what exactly you need to do since then!

After spending a couple of hours at Brittle Hollow, i finally managed to get into the southern Observatory. Looked like it's pointing me towards the
    probe station orbiting giants Deep. Spent a while trying to land on it with no luck. Tried space walking to it and ended up getting pulled into the planet, middle of nowhere too so just had to wait for my oxegen to run out.

Any tips on landing at
    that station? I don't think i saw an auto pilot option.

I keep saying 1 more loop but finding new info and setting off again, just incredible.

After spending a couple of hours at Brittle Hollow, i finally managed to get into the southern Observatory. Looked like it's pointing me towards the
    probe station orbiting giants Deep. Spent a while trying to land on it with no luck. Tried space walking to it and ended up getting pulled into the planet, middle of nowhere too so just had to wait for my oxegen to run out.

Any tips on landing at
    that station? I don't think i saw an auto pilot option.

I keep saying 1 more loop but finding new info and setting off again, just incredible.

you should be able to press 'a' (xbox) to match your speed to the structure, then you spacewalk out and go in through one of the airlock doors. Its relatively straightforward once you find the door.

you should be able to press 'a' (xbox) to match your speed to the structure, then you spacewalk out and go in through one of the airlock doors. Its relatively straightforward once you find the door.

I only tried it once, as soon as i left the ship, the station kept orbiting the planet with me trying to play catch up and then going the other way to intercept. Need to practice my matching speed and space walking on a less dangerous planet :)

I only tried it once, as soon as i left the ship, the station kept orbiting the planet with me trying to play catch up and then going the other way to intercept. Need to practice my matching speed and space walking on a less dangerous planet :)

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure you can press a button to match speed while spacewalking as well, makes it very handy for making minor adjustments and lining yourself up.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure you can press a button to match speed while spacewalking as well, makes it very handy for making minor adjustments and lining yourself up.

Aw ok will definitely look for that thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

The twins were the ones I thought wow in terms of design and the number of times I carelessly parked the ship there in the path of the sand :rolleyes:

I really hope they get the recognition at the game awards and publicity from it.

I tried to vote for it in the Steam awards and Steam first didn't show it in the search, then kept telling me it didn't come out this year

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

MOH wrote: »
    I tried to vote for it in the Steam awards and Steam first didn't show it in the search, then kept telling me it didn't come out this year

It’s still an Epic exclusive until mid-2020 so to be fair to Steam it’s not actually on their platform :)

Aw ok will definitely look for that thanks.

Ok so you can match velocity with the station but does that just match your speed as a once off? I was hoping it would auto move you with it. After every time i would match velocity, i would start drifting away from it. Maybe i need to mess around more with orbiting planets .

Anyway, after a few crash landings into Giants Deep (one of those times had me land right beside Garbo which was very flukey), i managed to get into the station orbiting GD.
    so ****ing clever having one section intact, one damaged and needing accessing from outside and one completely missing. After a long time trying to get into the damaged one, my next stop was the missing one. After all the crash landings into GD, i actually got quite relaxed with the planet and confident navigating it. I found the statue room and it's secrets and the construction yard. Taking off from there, i started navigating the tornadoes and bam, saw the anti clockwise one. Full speed ahead.

I got stuck under the current though, the core was zapping me and i didn't like the look of the glowy center. Checked out a jelly fish but after a lot of faffing about, i had to look up a hint and it said how to use the jellyfish, Jesus would have didn't a long time figuring that out.

When i emerged, it was pitch black, couldn't see where i was going and then bounced off a structure only for it to the missing section of station. Amazing feeling.

Some sense of accomplishment when you manage to follow breadcrumbs and find some juicy info but also huge joy when you stumble across something by complete accident. Even sometimes, being stranded somewhere floating and noticing your ship, which you haven't seen in a while, start floating above you.

Have to check my ship log to see where to next but i believe i should have coordinates for the
    eye of the universe
    but don't think it will be that easy when i load back up.

I've only been to the twins once and haven't been to the brambles place yet and i have notes to investigate both. I also have some minor stuff to investigate also but I'm so invested in this little solar system.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Use your sensor thingy to find
    the other Outer Wilds astronauts, one of them would have told you how to use jellyfish for example.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Use your sensor thingy to find
    the other Outer Wilds astronauts, one of them would have told you how to use jellyfish for example.

I've found a few of them, surely Garbo would have told me about them! Saying that, in mid chat with him, a
    tornado picked up his Island and we went floating in space for a while, seeing him floating off his bed was gas. Maybe i missed some dialogue with the rude interruption :)

I also unlocked a trophy when i scanned him for getting all traveler signals simultaneously. It was either a bug, i got incredibly flukey lining them all up or maybe the trophy was actually for successfully scanning each of them.

I've found a few of them, surely Garbo would have told me about them! Saying that, in mid chat with him, a
    tornado picked up his Island and we went floating in space for a while, seeing him floating off his bed was gas. Maybe i missed some dialogue with the rude interruption :)

I also unlocked a trophy when i scanned him for getting all traveler signals simultaneously. It was either a bug, i got incredibly flukey lining them all up or maybe the trophy was actually for successfully scanning each of them.

Yeah I unlocked that one by pure accident too :D

Oh and it's not
    Garbo that knows about the Jellyfish, he's never made it below the surface on Giant's Deep far as I know.
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

It’s still an Epic exclusive until mid-2020 so to be fair to Steam it’s not actually on their platform :)

Doh!! Ha! I'm such an idiot. That would explain it alright!
    Thanks for clearing that up.

Didn't help that I got an error when I tried to vote for a different game which definitely was Steam, but this one was definitely on me :o

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Yeah I unlocked that one by pure accident too :D

Oh and it's not
    Garbo that knows about the Jellyfish, he's never made it below the surface on Giant's Deep far as I know.
    ;)

Ah yes, he did say that alright :)

Headed to ember twin, found the
    sunless city but got killed by rising sand
    during my exploration. There has to be an easier way there without going through the hidden entrance again. Currently looking for the
    high energy lab. It's all pointing towards the Ash Twin project which i found by accident orbiting the sun but got burned up trying to get into it. Tried looking for it since and there's just the weather station that i can't lock onto hhhmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 9,957 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Still waiting on this to come out on Steam...

• Advertisement

****ing hell this is some journey. I've had to look up a few hints as i was sick of going through loops and i have other games i want to play :) anyway, finished up as i was just on my way to the Vessel.
    Dark Bramble is a crazy place but finally got the hang of the multiple signals. Found the vessel's signal and came across the multiple fish lads. End loop music started playing so i tapped on thrusters and they ate me straight away. At least i know where to go on next loop and can take my time.

Other than that, i just have a bunch of question marks for the quantum stuff. I found the moon but it disappeared when i tried to land on it. I read to clean up the quantum stuff after the vessel as I'm near end game so will give that stuff a look then.

Imagine thinking up this story, then designing how the planets work, then programming it and then tying it all together in a little indie package. Serious talent from the devs.

Advertisement