Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Respawn Jedi Fallen Order

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

gizmo wrote: »
    The choice of footage for the trailer is even more baffling once you consider the piece below from GameInformer which features quotes from Game Director, Stig Asmussen and Lead Combat Designer, Jason de Heras.

The Metroid And Dark Souls Inspirations Of Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order

From The Giant Beastcast podcast (starts around the 17:00 mark) it also appears you have a ship and crew which allow you to travel to different planets and tackle them in any order you wish.

If anything it's beginning to sound like an interplanetary Arkam Asylum then a straight up Uncharted-esque linear adventure.

I can't remember where I read it, but another outlet was saying something similar - the E3 showfloor demo was far more interesting than the footage shown would have you believe. Might be hope for it yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I've no interest in star wars and the demo looked like a very generic Uncharted game so i didn't give it a second thought but this news has my ears perked up and i want to know more.

EA.... Why are you the way you are???

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1140708603919310849?s=19

I think they can do what they want in terms of marketing for this. It's not like its some indy title. Star Wars games will never slip the cracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

I think they can do what they want in terms of marketing for this. It's not like its some indy title. Star Wars games will never slip the cracks.

heh they can do when EA are involved, if this doesnt get a good review on release, it will be skipped by many..i hope. As id love to see the franchise handed over to a more competent company :D

And just what do they mean when they say Dark souls like? are they referring to the difficulty? As it looks nothing like dark souls :confused:

nix wrote: »
    heh they can do when EA are involved, if this doesnt get a good review on release, it will be skipped by many..i hope. As id love to see the franchise handed over to a more competent company :D

And just what do they mean when they say Dark souls like? are they referring to the difficulty? As it looks nothing like dark souls :confused:

The game informer article made it sound very dark souls like. Comabat, not interest in 50 hit combos but more timed attacks. You can parry, dodge (like bloodborne), roll (like dark souls). Your bot can heal you a set number of times before having to regenrate at save spot where you can meditate. Meditation resets all enemies. Only difference is it's not as hard as dark souls as they want it to be challenging but not having people get stuck.

• Advertisement

So dark souls without the challenging, adrenaline fueled, fun :D

nix wrote: »
    So dark souls without the challenging, adrenaline fueled, fun :D

They said it will be challenging but there won't be cheap deaths. Sounds like someone sucked at Dark Souls.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    They said it will be challenging but there won't be cheap deaths. Sounds like someone sucked at Dark Souls.

Sounds like Sekiro

Sounds like Sekiro

a lightsabre fueled Ishin fight, imagine! :pac:

But eh, yeah, game will have multiple difficulty so it wont be a well polished combat system, or challenging unless you go into the broken hard mode. But yeah, calling it dark souls or metroid like when its hardly either doesnt raise any hopes for me from what weve seen :(

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

All this Dark Souls talk is really turning me off, I find those games tedious and boring.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,801 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Shiminay wrote: »
    All this Dark Souls talk is really turning me off, I find those games tedious and boring.

Philistine.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Same. I perked up over this game when I heard there more to it than the demo showed, but I generally keep my apathy towards the Souls games to myself. Just find their core loops tedious.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,801 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It all looks a bit meh to me and if Respawn weren't involved it would be totally off my radar.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It all looks a bit meh to me and if Respawn weren't involved it would be totally off my radar.
    Mostly agree. I'm a major Star Wars fan though and seeing Saw Gerrera in the demo perks me up. All these Uncharted comparisons don't mean a lot to me as I never played that series, but given how successful it was, maybe it's not a terrible comparison? But Dark Souls "git gud" combat - I'd rather stick forks in my legs :) I have a limited time budget for gaming, I'd rather spend it on doing something enjoyable than frustrating.

As it so happens, Game Informer have a short vid talking a bit about the combat here (not posted to YouTube yet).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Mostly agree. I'm a major Star Wars fan though and seeing Saw Gerrera in the demo perks me up. All these Uncharted comparisons don't mean a lot to me as I never played that series, but given how successful it was, maybe it's not a terrible comparison? But Dark Souls "git gud" combat - I'd rather stick forks in my legs smile.png I have a limited time budget for gaming, I'd rather spend it on doing something enjoyable than frustrating.

Respawn making this game is the key selling point for me due to how awesome the Titanfall 2 campaign was and that style of gameplay is a really good fit for a game with a Jedi as the main character. Saying that, I have to agree that Dark Souls like combat is not be something I want to see in JFO. My main concern from watching that EA stream demo is how the graphics just don't look anything special.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,749 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Full 26 min gameplay that the press saw at E3.

https://youtu.be/WXpxWy8DJSE

• Registered Users Posts: 8,891 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Full 26 min gameplay that the press saw at E3.

Fixed the link. For YouTube videos just use

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

This is the first Star Wars related game I've been excited for in a while.
    I hope it lives up to the hype and keeps up with Respawn's past history.
    I loved Titanfall 1 & 2 and APEX seems to be a really good game based on the feed back I've heard from people who play it.
    I'm cautiously optimistic for this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

I would take the Dark souls comparisons with a massive pinch of salt. There is no way Respawn would be permitted to make this game as punishing as a souls game. I would imagine it will be much more accessible like God of war was.

• Advertisement

Every game has to be influenced by Dark Souls these days anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Hope they add dismembering, at least for final stikes instead of just glowing scars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

Really looking forward to this just hope it will be somewhat decent

I just hope I can pay to get better gear if I'm stuck

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

I just hope I can pay to get better gear if I'm stuck

The sarcasm is strong in this one :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭Homelander

I really find it hard to believe it could be anything but at least decent with Respawn behind it. TF2 was one of the best linear FPS campaigns in years, and the gameplay in that and Apex are absolutely A1.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,302 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Varik wrote: »
    Hope they add dismembering, at least for final stikes instead of just glowing scars.

I'm sure there will be mods for PC in short order

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

Looks pretty good, wonder how long its going to be.

Advertisement