Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Respawn Jedi Fallen Order

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

https://twitter.com/BlairBroon/status/1116830762899128320

^Respawn producer. Hopefully EA won't overrule them and force in some microtransactions somewhere. Although for 100% SP, it'd hardly matter.

Rumoured release date of November 15th.

The usual modern ****e of a teaser for a reveal of a teased trailer revealing a trailer tease.

https://twitter.com/EAStarWars/status/1117079999008387073

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

Trailer coming up now.

https://youtu.be/pPIyVPlwBL4

EDIT: Nothing special. All pre-rendered and no gameplay. I have a feeling this is going to play more like a "The Force Unleashed" type of game rather than a "Jedi Knight" game. Meh.

Yeah, terrible trailer, and cringey presentation (which is par for the course, I guess).

Edit: The trailer in question.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Looks and sounds the part anyway. This is one of those cases where I’m not so fussed about a reveal being cinematic as I think the narrative and world-building will be a key to its success: whether it can add something to a series that has gotten innumerable stories told across a wide quality spectrum, not to mention dozens of different games.

Still, as intrigued by the basic premise and as hopeful as I am about Respawn’s role, not really a whole lot one can say or judge until something more substantial emerges. I would be all in for a Titanfall 2 esque short but sweet and polished experience as I think that’s something missing in this era of endless open world titles.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Is that Cameron Monaghan?

Yeah, they had him on stage too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

The usual modern ****e of a teaser for a reveal of a teased trailer revealing a trailer tease.

Should they not have something pre recorded to show by now?
    The game is out this year I think.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Boilerplate cinematic trailer, but just makes me lament how EA have exclusive rights on the license. Wonder if Disney are themselves regretting the decision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

ERG89 wrote: »
    Should they not have something pre recorded to show by now?
    The game is out this year I think.

Games out Nov 15th and so far all that's been shown is a CGI trailer confused.png I guess gameplay at E3 or whatever EA are doing during that event.

So that's two actors who've played both Jedi and Joker.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Yea, they definitely should have shown in-game footage by now but so help me god if it's not a pixel-perfect representation of what they release in around seven months time I'm going to write some angry things on the internet. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Anyone hear the name he was called, almost sounded like Galen.

The main character? It's Cal I think.

Also, Sarlacc pit confirmed.

I wonder how much the lack of microtransactions and loot boxes is down to Disney putting EA on notice not to screw up again and risk bringing any negativity on the upcoming episode 9?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

That was my first thought too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Oh I would say a very frank and honest conversation was had between Disney & EA once the negative press started knocking on Disney's door: that whole exclusive deal was probably taken in good faith, Disney likely happy to defer to the expertise of EA in the games industry to know what path to take. It's not like both companies aren't chasing profits, but with the Star Wars brand in a sticky enough situation, the last thing Disney expected was their games to be also in the dog house.

Though I do wish they broke the contract and tendered out to more studios, Fallen Order is only going to underwhelm, precisely because the AAA industry is built on unrealistic financial expectations.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Oh I would say a very frank and honest conversation was had between Disney & EA once the negative press started knocking on Disney's door: that whole exclusive deal was probably taken in good faith, Disney likely happy to defer to the expertise of EA in the games industry to know what path to take. It's not like both companies aren't chasing profits, but with the Star Wars brand in a sticky enough situation, the last thing Disney expected was their games to be also in the dog house.

Though I do wish they broke the contract and tendered out to more studios, Fallen Order is only going to underwhelm, precisely because the AAA industry is built on unrealistic financial expectations.

It's really hard to have any sort of opinion on Fallen Order due to a lack of any gameplay footage which I have to admit is concerning seeing as the game is due for release in November. The one thing for me in its favour is that Respawn did such an amazing job with Titanfall 2's single player campaign and that its combat, movement and level design really looks like a perfect fit for a game about a Jedi.

• Advertisement

Well Disney's been a games publisher too, they're not completely unfamiliar with the business and the Lucasarts team they bought wouldn't be completely without experience in the field either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

67zko4tt69s21.png

Venom wrote: »
    It's really hard to have any sort of opinion on Fallen Order due to a lack of any gameplay footage which I have to admit is concerning seeing as the game is due for release in November. The one thing for me in its favour is that Respawn did such an amazing job with Titanfall 2's single player campaign and that its combat, movement and level design really looks like a perfect fit for a game about a Jedi.

I wasn't passing comment on Fallen Order - obviously there's next to nothing to glean from a superficial cinematic trailer - rather I'm speculating on the environment from which it's being born. There have been a number of noted 'failures' in AAA games lately, where unrealistic sales targets were set out (with the inevitable pain felt by the studio). Further spitballing might be that EA paid a small fortune for exclusivity with the license, which wouldn't make me predisposed to think this will be a success by EA's own metrics.

OSI wrote: »
    They don't say anything about expansion packs.

Sims 5: Jedi Fallen Order

I've no problem with DLC after the fact, because they'll be completely optional, and won't split the player base etc. As long as they don't fence off sections of the main game to sell later as DLC. Wait. That's totally what they'll do, isn't it? :pac:

It's an interesting area of discussion alright - what sort of money do these Star Wars games collectively have to return to EA in order to make whatever enormous fee they paid for the licence to be considered a "success?" It's clear that the expectations of the big publishers are completely at odds with reality these last few years. RDR2 for example having sold 23 million copies and still Take 2 were whinging.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Disney have made it perfectly clear they're happy with the existing deal with EA, with CEO Bob Iger referring to the "good relationships with some of those we're licensing to, notably EA and the relationship on the Star Wars properties" during their earnings call back in February.

Speaking of which, I specifically brought up their prior form on this subject in the Loot Boxes thread with this post.

As the last few links show, Disney have plenty of experience in the games business and, for the most part, it's been ****ing awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I'm not overly concerned about it being Respawn. Titanfall 2 campaign was incredibly good. Now, obviously big difference between a linear 5-hour FPS campaign in what was generally an MP title....and a full blown Star Wars adventure that's strictly an SP affair.

Respawn do combat exceptionally well though. TF2 and Apex are too of the most satisfying shooters going.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

I'm not overly concerned about it being Respawn. Titanfall 2 campaign was incredibly good. Now, obviously big difference between a linear 5-hour FPS campaign in what was generally an MP title....and a full blown Star Wars adventure that's strictly an SP affair.

Respawn do combat exceptionally well though. TF2 and Apex are too of the most satisfying shooters going.

I did notice some wall running in the trailer, but since thats not in-game footage you can't read into it too much.

I wonder what engine they will be using too? For Titanfall 2 and Apex legends were both on Source, and from reading the recent news about Bioware and they were told to use Frostbite will it be a similar story here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Burgo wrote: »
    I did notice some wall running in the trailer, but since thats not in-game footage you can't read into it too much.

I wonder what engine they will be using too? For Titanfall 2 and Apex legends were both on Source, and from reading the recent news about Bioware and they were told to use Frostbite will it be a similar story here.

It’s confirmed to be running on Unreal 4.

• Advertisement

I really want a third person game

Advertisement