Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Apple Market Roof/canopy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

JohnC. wrote: »
    There's been one mirrored panel on it for a few weeks. Presumably some sort of test fitting.

They need to do a top job on this feature for it to be impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

I went up for a nose today for the first time in a few weeks and was pleasantly surprised with progress. I have to eat my previous words a little :). There is a timber framework being fitted to the underside of the roof and that in itself has already brightened up the look of it. Whether it was the sunny day or what but the place doesn't appear half as gloomy looking. I believe there will be a seating area under the canopy? To be honest I have been totally clueless as to what it's purpose is to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

73Cat wrote: »
    I went up for a nose today for the first time in a few weeks and was pleasantly surprised with progress. I have to eat my previous words a little :). There is a timber framework being fitted to the underside of the roof and that in itself has already brightened up the look of it. Whether it was the sunny day or what but the place doesn't appear half as gloomy looking. I believe there will be a seating area under the canopy? To be honest I have been totally clueless as to what it's purpose is to be.

Yeh there will be tables and chairs outside all the pubs and stuff there. Saw it today thought it looked well from some of comments here I was expecting it to be terrible. Think it will be right job when its done and when new shopping center is built the area will be completely changed

73Cat wrote: »

Looks like real awkward job for carpentry, just hope the mirror can be put in as quality as rest of construction.you can see the one in France looks like one massive mirror, no breaks, no screws visible, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

Visited the site at the weekend; this project is risky, and to be honest, sounds a little bit foolish on paper - covering a public space is not always a good idea.

However, from what i can see, this has been designed, and is being executed, in a very accomplished manner. It is sensitive and carefully placed, the materials look 'right', the relationship to the buildings is positive. I think it will be a fantastic addition to the city centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Deiseen

mire wrote: »
    Visited the site at the weekend; this project is risky, and to be honest, sounds a little bit foolish on paper - covering a public space is not always a good idea.

However, from what i can see, this has been designed, and is being executed, in a very accomplished manner. It is sensitive and carefully placed, the materials look 'right', the relationship to the buildings is positive. I think it will be a fantastic addition to the city centre.

Any pictures?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

I haven't seen it either in a few week, would be great to see how its coming along.

mire wrote: »

I'm impressed too,I find myself parking down that side often when in town, just so i can have a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

Deiseen wrote: »
    Any pictures?

sorry, no!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I might well be down there on Saturday, if so I'll take some more shots

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Any pictures?

From facebook

18486107_1615396711860955_6236229993213671661_n.jpg?oh=0a52c5d9a5c56f85d9417707f4b5253d&oe=59A69B3B

18519566_1615396715194288_2563779883255646815_n.jpg?oh=76a2158a95b065c735726f5f64248048&oe=59A43B19

18446985_1613663092034317_5867604428181075472_n.jpg?oh=272951974542e8afb0df7bda60cd911c&oe=59BB02C0

18447494_1611734192227207_7158675399494931675_n.jpg?oh=994bad9414c2e05b773996a4869ae4cc&oe=59ABA849

18486117_1609954012405225_4622938638318525968_n.jpg?oh=4f8e0905d1df624a66325d81d01f7845&oe=59A9FF34

18425246_1609955392405087_6383482441523930831_n.jpg?oh=5a52afbcaf8f8d448db1b39fcf6d67ff&oe=59E94197

18485926_1609955359071757_5318967711729127868_n.jpg?oh=760ea3a1b52dd8fec7a48ef947198f06&oe=59BB0829

18486071_1609955235738436_6219827824528373520_n.jpg?oh=dd57ca4e07215856d710a1fc6b2aa38d&oe=59A4D2BC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭dzilla

47560ddc868e5341108b1834a8cf3890.jpg

Thanks for the pic. there is is potential for a great atmosphere along the street with outdoor seating for bar and restaurants.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭lassykk

I think it's cool and if it fosters and outdoor area for a few relaxed drinks in our occasional sunshine then I'm all for it.

It's not like what was there before it was anything beautiful!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Could be fantastic, could be a hive of anti social behaviour......will have to see I suppose, I am certain of one thing, I think it is going to look brilliant :)

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

I think it's cool and if it fosters and outdoor area for a few relaxed drinks in our occasional sunshine then I'm all for it.

It's not like what was there before it was anything beautiful

True , the only thing i will miss would be the large tree that they cut down in the Apple Market. I hope they incorporate a few more trees along the side of pedestrian areas. I am not a fan of planted boxes for public greenery as they are never looked after and dry out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I can't speak for other places, but Waterford seems okay for watering plants. I go to work early in the morning and see them out with a tractor and slurry tank full of water watering plants and hanging baskets on the streets.

I think some people may be surprised at the work that gets done out there before they're out of the house (or bed). You should see the state of the rubbish on the streets early on a Saturday morning.

perhaps I am wrong to tar Waterford with the same brush as Dublin where I work during the week. Often planters in the city centre are dried out an stuffed with empty cans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

I can't speak for other places, but Waterford seems okay for watering plants. I go to work early in the morning and see them out with a tractor and slurry tank full of water watering plants and hanging baskets on the streets.

I think some people may be surprised at the work that gets done out there before they're out of the house (or bed). You should see the state of the rubbish on the streets early on a Saturday morning.

If you look at the john street area after a student night out, the place is absolutely disgraceful. I feel sorry for the people who have to clean up for these inconsiderate morons.

If you look at the john street area after a student night out, the place is absolutely disgraceful. I feel sorry for the people who have to clean up for these inconsiderate morons.
    Same as John Street on a Saturday or Sunday morning....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Flow Motion

This rejuvenation of the Apple Market is a fantastic thing for the city. Only the true luddites and begrudgers would disagree. It will totally transform the area and peoples perceptions of 'Waterford'. Can we not see that the city is in the midst of a true renaissance? For so long we have been starved of development and these type of projects begin the process of changing the feel of the place. Look at the Viking Triangle. Look at Henrietta Street. Lady Lane and Colbeck St are currently being overhauled. The sheds and silo industrial wasteland of the North Quays has vanished. The Ardee will soon be a 5* jewel. Yes there is much to do but we are getting there. We have much to be proud of. Having travelled the world a lot I still feel that Waterford is the most European of the Irish cities. It almost has a Scandanavian feel to it. Certainly looking over from the Ferrybank side the quayside has shades of a mini Stockholm.
    But back to the Apple Market. Change is good. What was there a few months ago? Dingy paving, a large tree, taxi rank, a clock that didnt work, cars/buses passing up and down (part of the way!). It has been like that for 20 years. I cant wait to see the finished result.
    Plus I hope the WCCC paln to extend the rejuvenation and make Spring Garden Alley the natural link between the Apple Mkt and the Viking Triangle.

This rejuvenation of the Apple Market is a fantastic thing for the city. Only the true luddites and begrudgers would disagree. It will totally transform the area and peoples perceptions of 'Waterford'. Can we not see that the city is in the midst of a true renaissance? For so long we have been starved of development and these type of projects begin the process of changing the feel of the place. Look at the Viking Triangle. Look at Henrietta Street. Lady Lane and Colbeck St are currently being overhauled. The sheds and silo industrial wasteland of the North Quays has vanished. The Ardee will soon be a 5* jewel. Yes there is much to do but we are getting there. We have much to be proud of. Having travelled the world a lot I still feel that Waterford is the most European of the Irish cities. It almost has a Scandanavian feel to it. Certainly looking over from the Ferrybank side the quayside has shades of a mini Stockholm.
    But back to the Apple Market. Change is good. What was there a few months ago? Dingy paving, a large tree, taxi rank, a clock that didnt work, cars/buses passing up and down (part of the way!). It has been like that for 20 years. I cant wait to see the finished result.
    Plus I hope the WCCC paln to extend the rejuvenation and make Spring Garden Alley the natural link between the Apple Mkt and the Viking Triangle.
    Not to mention the viking wall that goes through Spring Garden alley.

Has work already begun on lady lane and Colbeck street?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭JohnC.

They've been working on Lady Lane/Colbeck for a while. They seem to be doing Lady Lane in sections and the current section is partly paved. There was a lot of work with whatever drains or utilities are under the road before they started doing the actual surface. That's what they're at on Colbeck Street now too. One side of the road seems to have the under-surface work done and they're doing the other side now.

They've been working on Lady Lane/Colbeck for a while. They seem to be doing Lady Lane in sections and the current section is partly paved. There was a lot of work with whatever drains or utilities are under the road before they started doing the actual surface. That's what they're at on Colbeck Street now too. One side of the road seems to have the under-surface work done and they're doing the other side now.

Ah ok, any idea of how it's going to look or is it still pretty much a building site?

Ah ok, any idea of how it's going to look or is it still pretty much a building site?

I walked down John st way there couple weekends ago and the amount of services in the excavated ground near abrakebabra was crazy, must be a nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

This canopy construction will be the best thing ever for homeless junkies.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 potatohouse

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    This canopy construction will be the best thing ever for homeless junkies.

guaranteed-replies-18577907.png

Guys, has anyone got any recent photos of this? I think the ones above from facebook are a few weeks old now..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

Guys, has anyone got any recent photos of this? I think the ones above from facebook are a few weeks old now..

It looked like that during the week. Think twas Tuesday i was in there and it looked like photos look

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Took this last night. Looking forward to seeing it finished. The whole area looks much bigger and the paving etc looks like it'll be lovely but I was very surprised at the state of the paths down the side by Bodega/Burzza. They're awful, how people aren't falling every day never mind after a drink at night I don't know! Must be awful for the businesses there but I'm guessing they'll have a huge benefit once it's finished so worth putting up with the pain now.

Advertisement