Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PRSI cover for cleaning

• 02-12-2019 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

I searched for this topic within the forum to no avail, apologies if doubling up.

On the Dept of Social Welfare site it says that people can get 1 free cleaning a year, and that any more cleanings are capped at a charge of €15. Same on Citizen's Information. At least that's how I understood it.

However my dentist is charging €50 for a second cleaning in the same calendar year (I had been away for a while - not in jail!).

Which is correct? Should I have been charged only €15?

Or, are the rules available on another site that is worded unambiguously?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Fishorsealant

15 is maximum charge for first cleaning session.

All other cleanings for year not covered by PRSI.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Mark_Crowley

15 is maximum charge for first cleaning session.

All other cleanings for year not covered by PRSI.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭capnsparkles

Not not all dentists are registered providers of the PRSI dental scheme but if they are, you should be entitled to claim an annual free check-up, as well as a subsidised Scale and Polish (cleaning) for €15.
    The fee for the second clean is not covered by PRSI.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Op, Social Welfare site makes no mention of a free cleaning:

http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Treatment-Benefit1.aspx

If qualified, you are entitled to a free check up once per year. Also, a scale & polish to remove supra gingival plaque and staining can be availed of once per year for €15. This would be the removal of light staining and small plaque deposits

If the dentist/Hygienist has to clean plaque from under the gum/pockets between your teeth, this is a more extensive cleaning, the DSFA contributes €42 towards this once per year so you pay the dentist fee, less €42. For example if they charge €70, you pay €70-€42=€28.

Note. You can only avail of either of these one per year, not both.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Mark_Crowley

Thanks all, I misunderstood

• Advertisement
Advertisement