Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I hate dentists

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Dav010 wrote: »
    How much do the time and materials cost, in your opinion?

About £1700stg vs €3000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

Can you send us a picture of your choppers I'm a dentist might have an idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Rodin wrote: »
    About £1700stg vs €3000

You will find clinics in the North who charge more than £1700, and Clinics in the South which charge less than €3k. Shop around.

You will find clinics in the North who charge more than £1700, and Clinics in the South which charge less than €3k. Shop around.

I did.

I did.

When you shopped around, did you find Clinics in the South which charge less than €3k and Clinics in the North who charge more than 1700? Google is your friend.

• Advertisement

When you shopped around, did you find Clinics in the South which charge less than €3k and Clinics in the North who charge more than 1700? Google is your friend.

I didnt bother looking at the south as I knew they couldnt compete with Northern prices.

I didnt bother looking at the south as I knew they couldnt compete with Northern prices.

Then you missed out and paid more than you had to. But back to your point, there are many Clinics who charge less than 3k and more than 1700.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

I was going to write a sensible reply but then I realized that I due to pick up my new Ferrari today, only problem is there’s not much of a boot in it, it’ll be full of healthy teeth and cash in no time!!

Then you missed out and paid more than you had to. But back to your point, there are many Clinics who charge less than 3k and more than 1700.

I can get an implant in the south for below £1700 ?

I can get an implant in the south for below £1700 ?

Google is your friend, yes you can get it cheaper than €2100 in the South. What you did is take a price from the top end down here, and compare it with one at the lower end in the North to make a point. I did a quick check of Clinics in Newry, Belfast, Enniskillen, most are more than £1700 and most down here are quite a bit under €3k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Op has some valid points. Some dentists are awful. They'd give a filling if there was a bit of spinach in your teeth.
    My sister had a tooth pulled by one dentist when she had toothache, when she heard bad reports of that dentist she went to another who thought it was crazy that the tooth was pulled. Apparently the first guy just offered to pull it without discussing any other options. Easy money i guess.

Google is your friend, yes you can get it cheaper than €2100 in the South. What you did is take a price from the top end down here, and compare it with one at the lower end in the North to make a point. I did a quick check of Clinics in Newry, Belfast, Enniskillen, most are more than £1700 and most down here are quite a bit under €3k.

Mine was Newry. 1700. Delighted

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Midster

I was going to write a sensible reply but then I realized that I due to pick up my new Ferrari today, only problem is there’s not much of a boot in it, it’ll be full of healthy teeth and cash in no time!!

When you have to go to someone who you know is going to cause you pain, this is no laughing matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

Midster wrote: »
    When you have to go to someone who you know is going to cause you pain, this is no laughing matter.

Yep I can cause some discomfort but my input is a net benefit to the patient and the elimination of pain and infection from the issues they presented with.
    Most of your posts and dental advice on this thread are comically inaccurate so the joke is on you my friend.
    The problem here is that you think you know it all and have it all figured out but the reality here that you know nothing about dentistry and I really mean nothing! Look up Dunning Kruger and you’ll probably find a picture of yourself in the explination!
    To all my dental colleagues here, don’t waste your time here.
    Reply all you want, this is my last post on this one!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dianthus

The beauty of it all is that you have a choice.
    Noone is going to frogmarch you to a surgery & insist upon treatment. You're an adult. You have autonomy.
    All most people want is a healthy, functional, comfortable, socially acceptable looking, dentiition. Ideally with low-no risk of pain& infection, & regular screening for oral cancer. The unsupervised ticking timebomb scenario is a big gamble.

As for the simplicity of the job& the calibre of the candidates, there are undergraduate & postgraduate positions available yearly. Open to anyone in the country to apply, from any educational or socioeconomic background.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭bfclancy

antix80 wrote: »
    Op has some valid points. Some dentists are awful. They'd give a filling if there was a bit of spinach in your teeth.
    My sister had a tooth pulled by one dentist when she had toothache, when she heard bad reports of that dentist she went to another who thought it was crazy that the tooth was pulled. Apparently the first guy just offered to pull it without discussing any other options. Easy money i guess.

you realise how stupid you sound with your made up anecdote. how would the second dentist make a diagnosis on a tooth that wasn't there, Jasus you'd be better off saying nothing at all rather than making up stuff so you can contribute

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭work

Midster wrote: »
    I hate dentists....

They come across all smiley, happy to see you, remembering your name, making you believe that there only interested in your best interest, but it’s all bull s**t!!

I’ve had several wobbly teeth in my life, and I’ve been told at those times that I needed the tooth taken out, and every time I said no, I looked after my teeth more than before after then and after a while the tooth went solid again.

BEWARE!!! Dentist are like snakes, they look and sound like there trying to help but all there really after is your money, they give you fillings when you don’t need one to make you believe your teeth are going bad, then they take out your teeth one by one so they can make more money on giving you an implant, or a plate.

They make tons of cash by us the unwitting public allowing this and not questioning there reasoning.

Surgeons will do everything they possibly can to leave you as intact as possible, it’s there job, and if you think dentists live by the same rules, think again, cause all they really want is your cash.

They charge more for a tooth removal than a route canal treatment (removing the tooth nerve) so most dentists won’t even speak of it unless you ask for it.

Keep your teeth, don’t let them be so quick to take it out, and if you do have a tooth ache, take pain killers and keep your mouth as clean as you can, go to the doctor if you think you might have a tooth infection, and wait for the pain to die down, if the pain does return, do the same again, a doctor is way cheaper than a dentist, then when you do go, go informed and ask for a route canal treatment on that tooth.

Seriously, they are ripping you all off!!

I would wonder if this post should be allowed. Is it a joke? Basically hate speech and mad ranting advice. The sad thing is some people might believe there is any truth in this.

work wrote: »
    I would wonder if this post should be allowed. Is it a joke? Basically hate speech and mad ranting advice. The sad thing is some people might believe there is any truth in this.

Apart from antix80 I would be confident no adult would believe brushing alone would able to reverse the process of bone loss caused by trauma or a chronic condition like periodontal disease when it has reached the point when the teeth are loose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

I think if you look on the OP's post history, you see an angry man who has watched a bit too much Jordan Peterson, I would just let the thread die away and nobody with any sense would take any notice and those without do not have the capacity to learn otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭NSAman

Try 1000 euro an implant including all crowns,,,but that is one of those foreign dentists who we are all warned about by irish dentists because their standards aren’t as high..:)

• Advertisement

NSAman wrote: »
    Try 1000 euro an implant including all crowns,,,but that is one of those foreign dentists who we are all warned about by irish dentists because their standards aren’t as high..:)

To practice in Ireland you have to satisfy the Registration requirements set by the Irish Dental Council, once you do that, your nationality is immaterial. Certainly there has been concern about foreign Registrants who set up pop up Clnics here and close after a short period having left a trail of unhappy customers, lost deposits and litigation. There was a Clinic in the IFSC which did this recently and you will find High Court cases relating to another who did assessments here, but surgery in his country.

In direct response to your quote though, there are many Clinics which offer implants for less than €2100, so saying the Southern dentists can’t compete is a fallacy.

To practice in Ireland you have to satisfy the Registration requirements set by the Irish Dental Council, once you do that, your nationality is immaterial. Certainly there has been concern about foreign Registrants who set up pop up Clnics here and close after a short period having left a trail of unhappy customers, lost deposits and litigation. There was a Clinic in the IFSC which did this recently and you will find High Court cases relating to another who did assessments here, but surgery in his country.

In direct response to your quote though, there are many Clinics which offer implants for less than €2100, so saying the Southern dentists can’t compete is a fallacy.

Dav, in all fairness, they cannot. I am not talking about a foreign dentist in ireland I am talking about a foreign dentist in a different country...

Dentists in Ireland can compete with basic cleaning etc on a cost basis, but for other work they are FAR more expensive.

I live in the US where costs are astronomical. I have a dentist here for regular check ups.

When I am home I get my teeth cleaned and checked in the North (as I am there visiting with friends) cost 30 pounds a little more if I need xrays.

Quotes I got for work in the North were HALF the cost in the South for exactly the same treatment.

I research costs and qualifications before doing any work.

I only use the same people if they work out correctly. I currently have three dentists. One in NI, one in the US and a third in an EU country (professor of dentistry at main university in country) who does major work if needed.

I have been working on my teeth for over ten years, the original costs in Ireland were close to 35K euro. To date, it has cost me less than 10K by shopping around abroad.

Dav, in all fairness, they cannot. I am not talking about a foreign dentist in ireland I am talking about a foreign dentist in a different country...

Dentists in Ireland can compete with basic cleaning etc on a cost basis, but for other work they are FAR more expensive.

I live in the US where costs are astronomical. I have a dentist here for regular check ups.

When I am home I get my teeth cleaned and checked in the North (as I am there visiting with friends) cost 30 pounds a little more if I need xrays.

Quotes I got for work in the North were HALF the cost in the South for exactly the same treatment.

I research costs and qualifications before doing any work.

I only use the same people if they work out correctly. I currently have three dentists. One in NI, one in the US and a third in an EU country (professor of dentistry at main university in country) who does major work if needed.

I have been working on my teeth for over ten years, the original costs in Ireland were close to 35K euro. To date, it has cost me less than 10K by shopping around abroad.

I don’t think anyone is arguing that treatment is not cheaper abroad, many Americans go to Mexico for the same reasons as people travel from here, lower cost economies can provide services at a lower cost.

The posters gripe was that Southern dentists cannot compete with Northern ones for a €2100 implant, they evidence shows otherwise, a quick google of Clinics north and south show that even for the North, £1700 is at the lower end of the cost scale, and €3k here is at the high end. The majority are close to the median of those two prices.

I honestly do not have an issue with people travelling abroad and do not engage with the view that the treatment is any worse than here. I do have an issue with some work I see due to the haste which with it was done, aftercare arrangements which inevitably mean you need to return to the country and the lack of co-operation when things go wrong. But like everything, everywhere, they are in the minority.

I just had a look at pricing for routine treatments in around 10 Clinics in Newry/Belfast/Enniskillen and I really don’t see the huge price difference you are posting about, quite a few are actually more expensive than my own Clinic, but I do concede that prices in Dublin are higher than in most places outside for obvious operational cost reasons.

I don’t think anyone is arguing that treatment is not cheaper abroad, many Americans go to Mexico for the same reasons as people travel from here, lower cost economies can provide services at a lower cost.

The posters gripe was that Southern dentists cannot compete with Northern ones for a €2100 implant, they evidence shows otherwise, a quick google of Clinics north and south show that even for the North, £1700 is at the lower end of the cost scale, and €3k here is at the high end. The majority are close to the median of those two prices.

I honestly do not have an issue with people travelling abroad and do not engage with the view that the treatment is any worse than here. I do have an issue with some work I see due to the haste which with it was done, aftercare arrangements which inevitably mean you need to return to the country and the lack of co-operation when things go wrong. But like everything, everywhere, they are in the minority.

I just had a look at pricing for routine treatments in around 10 Clinics in Newry/Belfast/Enniskillen and I really don’t see the huge price difference you are posting about, quite a few are actually more expensive than my own Clinic, but I do concede that prices in Dublin are higher than in most places outside for obvious operational cost reasons.

I agree with most of what you have said above.

I find implants are similar priced in North and South. Other treatments, however, are cheaper in the North. I can attest to this fact having had MAJOR reconstruction work done.

One treatment in particular was over twice the price in the South compared to the North, for the same (and I mean exactly the same) straightening procedure. The other thing in the North is the time adherence. I book a time arrive at that time and I am seen at that time. Any appointment in the South, I have always been left waiting (now I know that is dependent on the practice).

With regards to the foreign aspect of things, yes things can go wrong and do for some, it all depends on the dental practice and I have received nothing but superb service an after care from my dentist abroad, even going so far as to communicate with my US dentist to ask about latest check up.

I can only say, all the dentists I have worked with have been professional (this from someone who was terrified before I started this journey /route) and caring. I can honestly say, they have become personal friends at this stage.

I agree with most of what you have said above.

I find implants are similar priced in North and South. Other treatments, however, are cheaper in the North. I can attest to this fact having had MAJOR reconstruction work done.

One treatment in particular was over twice the price in the South compared to the North, for the same (and I mean exactly the same) straightening procedure. The other thing in the North is the time adherence. I book a time arrive at that time and I am seen at that time. Any appointment in the South, I have always been left waiting (now I know that is dependent on the practice).

With regards to the foreign aspect of things, yes things can go wrong and do for some, it all depends on the dental practice and I have received nothing but superb service an after care from my dentist abroad, even going so far as to communicate with my US dentist to ask about latest check up.

I can only say, all the dentists I have worked with have been professional (this from someone who was terrified before I started this journey /route) and caring. I can honestly say, they have become personal friends at this stage.

I think for the most part we are on the same page, by straightening I assume you mean orthodontics, treatment I know little about as I do not provide it. I worked for a short period in the North and a close friend is an Orthodontist, I know he provides treatment at a cost less than the local orthodontists where my Clinic is based. But he has told me that his business from people travelling from the south has collapsed primarily due to time/travel pressures and when you take into consideration the 10-20 visits typically required over the course of treatment, the cost diffential usually pales to insignificance.

I have noticed that prices for routine dentistry in the North have increased, the practice where I used to work has exited the NHS and gone fully private meaning the Srate payments have to replaced by private fees, so prices had to increase. I can only assume that the trend is similar in other Clinics as the two closest to the area I live have almost doubled their prices.

Incidentally, the other Clinic in Newry apart from the one the poster visited charges from £1950 for an implant, excluding exam xrays etc, that equates to from €2400.

In relation to waiting times, trust me, this is an equal frustration for dentists and patients , Irish people have a loose appreciation of punctuality, yet still expect to be seen when they arrive 30 mins late. Busy practices will often run late, quiet ones don’t. You cannot put a specific timeframe on all treatments and all patients.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭afterglow

i had some work done some years ago, and because I am so scared of needles, my mum, before hand, called the dentist and asked about me being put to sleep.... They offered sedation, who thinks that shenanigans is better than sleep???? So I just had to learn to kind of, be ok with it. The hygienist, lovely as she was, scared me a little, because she was always a bit shy with the ole anesthetic. But my dentist, my god! she was awesome!
    I'm siking myself up for a visit when I move back, which is very soon, really hoping I can avoid the hygienist this time, even more hope I can get in with the same dentist as before. I'm hoping, because they know my family, and I'm a whimp, they might, take pity on me, fingers crossed
    OP, I just have to give you an analogy here, because frankly, you're not being very sensible here at all.
    When you started the post, I thought it would be, because you needed to go to a dentist, not just to say, you dislike all dentists etc etc
    When I was 10, due to fluid on both of my eyes, heading towards my brain, I had to have both eyes removed. I wasn't too happy about it at first, but got used to the idea, eventually.
    I hate needles, do I hate anaesthetists? No, course not! Why? Because that would be stupid, its not their faults I don't like needles
    I wasn't crazy about having my eyes removed, and after that, lots of tissue breakdowns, skin grafts to try fix them, etc, meant many many operations and being put under general anaesthetic for all. I was blessed with an amazing surgen, and didn't dislike him just because i had to keep coming to hospital.
    Yes, being at the dentist can be unpleasant sometimes, but you being angry at the dentist population for doing their jobs, would be like me being angry at ocularists because they make prosthetic eyes! Nonsensical and ridiculous
    I hope no one who has dental phobia reads this nonsense, because you could do a lot of harm here, making people hesitant to go for what could be necessary treatment, all because you think all dentists are only in dentistry for the money? Which I doubt also, btw! i certainly would not, under any circumstances put my hands in people's mouths for a living, so I would suppose with some certainty, that like all medical professions, they do it because they want to help. ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

afterglow wrote: »
    i had some work done some years ago, and because I am so scared of needles, my mum, before hand, called the dentist and asked about me being put to sleep...

Thats a very mature response and excellent post.

Advertisement