Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about becoming CBT counsellor

• 26-09-2019 4:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

1. I have been diagnosed with anxiety and working with a great counselling psychologist to help alleviate it and work with me.

2. I am getting to an age now (mid 30s) where I hate corporate life and looking into working for myself / change in career.

3. Because the anxiety never "leaves me" I find it helpful to do udemy courses online to understand CBT better and read a lot about anxiety as a condition. I know having a "keen interest" in it and "studying" it are two very different things.

4. I have a BA (Economics, Computer Science), a Postgrad Dip in Business Economics (Level 9) and a Masters in Business & Computer Science (Level 9). My background isn't really relevant to this area.

5. I am trying to explore my options to getting into a course or doing a part-time course (preferably in Dublin or also in Cork) that is accredited and will help me progress in the area.

I have no idea where to start and information online is tough. Can anyone point me to some good resources or help understand the area a bit more please?

Thanks in advance,

K

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭SirChenjin

Have a look at Dublin Business School and PCI College.

Both offer part time courses in areas such as psychotherapy afaik. I haven't done courses with them, but they may be worth a look. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭SuperRabbit

Dublin Counselling degrees:

PCI (CBT taught in second year and offered as optional specialization in fourth year) (also in Cork)
    IICP (focuses more on choice therapy than CBT as its cognitive model afaik)
    DBS
    ICHAS (through Griffith) (not accredited by IACP, which is very odd)

Counselling Masters which don't require undergraduate in counselling:

Turning Point
    DCTC

They're all part time.

There are loads of threads with loads of info on this board about those ones, worth digging them up and having a read.

To become a CBT therapist you need a masters in it. Many counsellors do some CBT interventions but are not CBT therapists.

There are lots of routes into it. You want a degree in counselling or psychology, I think they also accept social work and mental health nursing? Check out Trinity's website. Then you do

Foundation in CBT (TCD)
    Post Graduate in CBT (TCD) (you need to have been working in a related field for 2 years before you can do this one)
    Masters in CBT (TCD) (for people who have the post grad)

Check out what route your own counselling psychologist followed. Most likely psychology undergrad + post grad in counselling

If you happen to be minted you could go the clinical psychology route, I don't know much about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Freedive Ireland

Are you dead set on the CBT counselling or want to work in mental health? There are other options as in occupational therapist, social worker, peer support worker. Depends what you want to do, where and why tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

To become a CBT therapist you need a masters in it. Many counsellors do some CBT interventions but are not CBT therapists.

There are lots of routes into it. You want a degree in counselling or psychology, I think they also accept social work and mental health nursing? Check out Trinity's website. Then you do

Foundation in CBT (TCD)
    Post Graduate in CBT (TCD) (you need to have been working in a related field for 2 years before you can do this one)
    Masters in CBT (TCD) (for people who have the post grad)

You need at least a professional mental health qualification and at least a PG Dip in CBT for accreditation as a CBT therapist, with the two respectable accrediting bodies - CBT Ireland (cbti.ie) or IABCP.
    Check out what route your own counselling psychologist followed. Most likely psychology undergrad + post grad in counselling

Counselling psychology is a PhD level qualification, you need an undergraduate degree or conversion course in psychology plus experience in the mental health field, can be volunteering. (Counselling psychology is very different to a counselling course.)

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭SuperRabbit

You need at least a professional mental health qualification and at least a PG Dip in CBT for accreditation as a CBT therapist, with the two respectable accrediting bodies - CBT Ireland (cbti.ie) or IABCP.
    Trinity confirmed the route I outlined as being acceptable, as does the website you yourself linked to.

Counselling psychology is a PhD level qualification, you need an undergraduate degree or conversion course in psychology plus experience in the mental health field, can be volunteering. (Counselling psychology is very different to a counselling course.)

Ok cool, good to know. But I could have sworn I'd seen loads of people calling themselves counselling psychologists because they were psychologists with a counselling dip?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Yeah, well, lots of claims by lots of people... One of the main reasons CORU are trying to sort things out.
    Watch out for claims of being 'Consultant' too. :-)

Let the buyer beware.

Advertisement