Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UFC 242: Khabib Nurmagomedov vs Dustin Poirier [7 Sep, 19:00]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,808 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Dustin Poirier by Sub
    Pheonix10 wrote: »
    McGregor destroyed Poirier so I can't see how Khabib won't easily take him out..

not the same weight class and certainly not the same fighter

not sure how you can say that after he beat holloway and finished alvarez, pettis and gaethje unless you haven't seen any of his fights since conor

• Registered Users Posts: 17,924 ✭✭✭✭rob316

McGregor destroyed Poirier so I can't see how Khabib won't easily take him out..

That's a far different DP to the one McGregor fought.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Dustin Poirier by KO/TKO
    Rock beats scissors and scissors beats paper so I reckon rock easily beats paper.

Rock beats scissors and scissors beats paper so I reckon rock easily beats paper.

Yep, typical lazy prediction of a casual.

He beat Holloway, probably the most dominant FW champ ever. Finished Pettis, Alvarez and Justin.
    He fought McGregor 5 years ago at a weight cut that he couldn't cope with.

DP beat Duffy who beat McGregor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Khabib Nurmagomedov on Points
    mailburner wrote: »
    not the same weight class and certainly not the same fighter

not sure how you can say that after he beat holloway and finished alvarez, pettis and gaethje unless you haven't seen any of his fights since conor

I actually recently rewatched that Aleverz v Poirer 2 fight.I wonder will Poirier go for similiar submissions like he did in that fight once Alverez wanted to graple/take him down?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,145 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Dustin Poirier by KO/TKO
    mailburner wrote: »
    30 is enough for it considering outside of khabib a lot won't any interest in this event
    If ever an event was priced up on one fight it's this one.
    I think it's way overpriced for the uk tbh and would love to see
    the uk figures for this one as I think it will bomb.
    while most of us here will also look forward to felder barbosa I'd imagine 60% of the casuals won't be too familiar or won't have seen their first fight

€30 is absolutely crazy! Even the big boxing events on Sky Box Office etc don't reach the €30 mark.

BT charged €25 for Fury v Wilder. Even The Golden Pony Joshua v Ruiz was only €25 on Sky. They really think they can charge €30 for this in a market like the UK? Madness!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Luap

Was looking forward to this event but now to my horror that I will have to pay more to get this event. Absolute joke!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

I think Khabib ends this with a ground and pound in the 2nd

• Registered Users Posts: 5,062 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

In fairness that was about 5 years ago when both where scrawny featherweights but more importantly boys as opposed to the men they are now. Same situation with the Mcgregor Holloway fight and if they were to do it now Max would have a series chance of win.
    Dustin has been very impressive since he moved to lightweight. He has beaten a lot of the top 10 and done do in a very savage manner. He has every chance to win this one.

• Advertisement

I switched back to VM from eir couple of months ago, just couldn’t justify the high price of sky sports + bt sports any longer, as much as I enjoyed watching the ufc. Also now the really big ones cost another €30.
    Now I just watch on YouTube and accept I won’t see any live fights.
    But this wknd most pubs will hopefully show it. I think main event will be about 9/10pm??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

30 bloody quid!!!

DC card was 25.
    So because this is on at a better time but is a much worse overall card they raise the price by 20%.

I’ve never seen any ppv event cost this much over here. Boxing, WWE nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Honestly €30 is a robbery for this card. There are many other ways to watch it for free, people really should protest this and not purchase it as a point of order. Things will only get worse if a decent amount of PPV's are bought.

It won’t get anywhere even close to Mcgregor ppv numbers. And that’s nothing to do with the €30. Will it get 1million ppv??
    Although I accept Conor popularity has probably dropped because of his awful behavior.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,000 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Khabib Nurmagomedov on Points
    MrStuffins wrote: »
    [
    BT charged €25 for Fury v Wilder. Even The Golden Pony Joshua v Ruiz was only €25 on Sky. They really think they can charge €30 for this in a market like the UK? Madness!
    Fury v Wilder was £19.99 in the UK
    Most UK PPV’s are £19.99
    This Event is £19.99 in UK

But there’s a price hike in Ireland! Taking the piss outta yis lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,808 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Dustin Poirier by Sub
    It won’t get anywhere even close to Mcgregor ppv numbers. And that’s nothing to do with the €30. Will it get 1million ppv??
    Although I accept Conor popularity has probably dropped because of his awful behavior.

I wonder though, most of the fickle casual fans in this country will follow him off a cliff.
    I'd be interested to see how they fare in the states though.

I bet he still pulls in big numbers on his comeback fight especially if it's against the likes of khabib or Nate even and there's no doubt there'll be
    a few more videos of him apologising for him being out of character etc etc

I think short of killing somebody he'll still have a big following (sadly)

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭thelibertyboy

so you need to have a bt account to buy a fight on bt box office you cant just buy online ?? :/

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Axwell wrote: »

So you can watch it on Virgin Media in Ireland?? I wasn’t expecting that. Hmmm probably cheaper so than going to pub to watch it.

I don’t think you can order it on Virgin Media in Ireland??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

There's a section of the page specifically mentioning Ireland and ordering through Sky

• Registered Users Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭xtal191

Dustin Poirier by Sub

Pretty sure its just Virgin UK

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭robwen

Dustin Poirier by KO/TKO
    Early figures suggest UFC 242 could be one of the biggest pay-per-view events in UFC history.

Traffic numbers for UFC.com and its social media accounts prior to UFC 242 on Saturday in Abu Dhabi are similar to what they were before Nurmagomedov fought McGregor at UFC 229.

https://www.bjpenn.com/mma-news/ufc/report-ufc-242-trending-for-massive-ppv-success/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

Dustin Poirier by KO/TKO
    mdwexford wrote: »
    30 bloody quid!!!

DC card was 25.
    So because this is on at a better time but is a much worse overall card they raise the price by 20%.

I’ve never seen any ppv event cost this much over here. Boxing, WWE nothing.
    In fairness the reason that Ireland and the UK haven't had to pay for cards previously is because it's on at a **** time. Where it's all ppv, they all cost the same, regardless of the quality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVSrj5sVVg0

Owen Roddy's preview/prediction of the main. Nothing ground breaking or new but I swear there was a special glint in his eye and a subtle snigger on his face the whole way through :pac:

Well payed Coach :)

The fight is official, both of them weighing in at 155

https://youtu.be/2ZiMqVIyLNA

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

Dustin Poirier by KO/TKO
    i have never ordered a ppv but seriously considering this one. can you record it and start a bit later. im working till 7 so i wont be able to watch till about 8 but i want to start at the beginning of the cards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

The main card is starting at 7pm is it? What time should the Khabib fight be on?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

The main card is starting at 7pm is it? What time should the Khabib fight be on?

9-9.30?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    i have never ordered a ppv but seriously considering this one. can you record it and start a bit later. im working till 7 so i wont be able to watch till about 8 but i want to start at the beginning of the cards

If your going to do that just download it from somewhere, no point in PPV if yer not watching live

Advertisement