Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Social Basketball game (big merge)

• 26-11-2012 7:30pm

Have a game booked for 9-10 in the Arus Salthill, we have about 8 now.
    So if anyones interested in playing send me a PM.
    Most haven't played so it'll be fairly laid back.
    Looking to try get a game going every Monday night..... so over time we'll try to improve the standard in relation to rules.

Previous experience not required, but either a background in other sports(makes learning new ones easier) or an interest in Basketball(so you at least know the rules) would be preferable!.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭keezer

Could be interested when returning to college in jan, where do ye play and is there anyone heding over from gmit side

Just to bump this.

We're playing from 7-8 in the Arus.
    Was unable to secure a permanent slot myself for the game mentioned above and stayed on with a crowd I was playing with from 7-8.
    Numbers were too low since Xmas and the girl organising it was going to pack it in completely but I said I'd try recruit a few more.

Should have room for at least one, if not even two.

No previous experience required, though a willingness to adapt is essential(travelling in Basketball would be akin to someone picking up a ball in soccer and kicking it from their hands).

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Aeghnor

I would be pretty interested. Could you give me more details (cost, exact location, dates, etc.)?

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Niamhf

Hey guys! I'd be interested too! If you could pm me the details I'd like to join in!

Aeghnor wrote: »
    I would be pretty interested. Could you give me more details (cost, exact location, dates, etc.)?
    Niamhf wrote: »
    Hey guys! I'd be interested too! If you could pm me the details I'd like to join in!

Ok I didn't have the day/cost but I did have the location: Arus - Salthill(Salthill-Knocknacarra GAA)
    The day was to be the same as above but noticed I posted it on the day, I didn't re-read it.

Its Monday from 7-8 in the Arus.
    Cost varies, depends on numbers but there's enough in the kitty for one free night. The last girl used to take E5 off everyone even if there were too many and that covered a free night and/or low numbers other nights.

I can collect anyone around the City Centre, Im based in Claddagh myself.

I'll PM you the same Niamh just to make sure you see it.
    Otherwise PM me your emails and I'll add ye to the mailing list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Shooter_galway

Anyone know of any basketball games going at the moment, or would anyone be interested in setting one up if there's a few interested?

This is still running on Mondays at 7.

Looking for one or two new players.

No previous Basketball experience needed, but an athletic background would be preferential to adapt.

Males and females welcome as it's a mixed group.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,870 ✭✭✭thesandeman

There is somebody asking about basketball games a few threads down.

Monday
    Arus(Salthill-Knocknacaraa GAA)

We need a few new ppl as we've too many who only come once every few weeks.

Just bumping this again as we're still in need of regular attendees.

Have far too many who only show up the odd time and you need a min of 8 to have a decent game.

Very frustrating to see the 8 slot have 10+ each week with new players consistently while we struggle to acquire new players.

Just a willingness to learn the rules is needed, we have one or two girls playing too so gender isn't an issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

I'll ask a few mates and see if they have any interest. If it wasn't so far out I'd be more interested. What day(s) of the week, times etc..?

evil_seed wrote: »
    I'll ask a few mates and see if they have any interest. If it wasn't so far out I'd be more interested. What day(s) of the week, times etc..?

Same as listed above, I was just bumping my own thread as opposed to adding to it.

Monday, 7, Arus-Salthill.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Shooter_galway

Is this game still going?

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭kevthecelt

Very interested in doing this on a regular basis. Is it going on this week?

Is this game still going?

It sure is, back again next Monday.

Not sure of your gender, we did have 3 girls when I joined the group but only have one now.
    Still though both are more than welcome, it's only a social game after all.
    kevthecelt wrote: »
    Very interested in doing this on a regular basis. Is it going on this week?

No unfortunately they don't open on Bank Holidays.

We'll be back again next week, by all means join us.
    Our numbers can be iffy at times, we need a good core of 5/6 while as of now it's 3/4 so we're reliant a lot on the ones who only come 1:3.

Having said that we did hit 9 last week but in the run up to that we were short a lot.
    We have mixed skill levels, some handy players, some average, some below.

There's something for everyone I guess.

Just bumping this again as we're down a few again lately.

Could do with another new body or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭b.gud

Just bumping this again as we're down a few again lately.

Could do with another new body or two.

Can't guarantee anything, as work can sometimes keep me late but might try to make it down next Monday.

I assume you have to pay for the use of the court, how much do I need to bring with me?

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Foxx92

Waiting on a job situation, but if I'm around Galway next week i'd love to go back playing.

b.gud wrote: »
    Can't guarantee anything, as work can sometimes keep me late but might try to make it down next Monday.

I assume you have to pay for the use of the court, how much do I need to bring with me?

We take E5 a night of everyone then have a free night when there's enough. 6 people cover it but we've occasionally only had 6 and that so needs to stay at that mark to cover potential drop outs.
    Foxx92 wrote: »
    Waiting on a job situation, but if I'm around Galway next week i'd love to go back playing.

We're there every Monday bar Bank Holidays.

Ye can PM me for my number if ye need directions or anything like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 carlope2

would love to give it a go, after 5 years time :) are ye playing this monday ? and where abouts in galway is it ?

• Advertisement

carlope2 wrote: »
    would love to give it a go, after 5 years time :) are ye playing this monday ? and where abouts in galway is it ?

Yes we are.

Its beside Pearse Stadium in Salthill... The Arus(or-us)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 remt

BASKETBALL! every Friday 20:30 and Sunday 11:30. Renmore (beside Kingfisher). 3 euro per game.

Just giving this a fresh bump.

We lost the last 3 we gained from the previous bump though due to emigration(to Dub) and the couple who are off for 4 months travelling.
    Add them to the other 1/2 off thread additions and we're floating numbers wise on a dangerous number.

Open to all levels, males and females.... one week there in November we had only 2 men and 6 females, it's fallen again to 1/2 but there's always one at least.

PM for futher details.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 MRedd

Hi, I ve moved to Galway from Dublin and am looking for some place to play bball indoors. Usually it`s like 10-15 people who meet up and rent the gym and play every week. Lots of such events going on in Dublin usually through a facebook group, but coudn t find anything through search in Galway.

Kind regards

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Any games going? Would love to take it up

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭hobie21

Yeah, still going, Monday's from 7 - 8 in Aras na Tra

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

What are the numbers like? Have ye a FB page?
    hobie21 wrote: »
    Yeah, still going, Monday's from 7 - 8 in Aras na Tra

What are the numbers like? Have ye a FB page?

No FB page... We're there as long as its not a bank holiday.

Numbers fluctuate... Been good lately.

PM me if you're interested or have any more questions.

Just giving this a summer bump.

Numbers were great for a while but terrible last night so could do with fresh faces.

Details listed above. Any questions feel free to message me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Freddurst25

Hi, I am just wondering if this is still running. Would be interested in joining.

Advertisement