Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do Irish people support English teams?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,714 ✭✭✭Greyfox

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    People can do what they want but seeing and hearing Irish people bleating about "their" english team while ignoring their own league is pathetic...There is simply no excuse for ignoring our league.

How is it pathetic when every LOI fan knows the English championship is a far superior league to anything Ireland will ever have? What makes you think anybody has the right to tell someone what they should be doing with there free time? What is someone from Tallaght doesnt like the way some Shamrock rovers fans cause trouble after a match?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

Greyfox wrote: »
    How is it pathetic when every LOI fan knows the English championship is a far superior league to anything Ireland will ever have? What makes you think anybody has the right to tell someone what they should be doing with there free time? What is someone from Tallaght doesnt like the way some Shamrock rovers fans cause trouble after a match?

Some LOI teams actually play better football than Championship teams that just have more money so that's why players go there even though its actually not that good football. This is pretty well established, and goes further to prove the point that if irish people gave their local teams the support they deserve every aspect or Irish football including the national team would improve.
    For every time Rovers fans have caused trouble at a match there's probably 6/7 times fans of popular English teams have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

8-10 wrote: »
    Yes, or in person, read my post. I doubt most LOI fans get to see every minute of every game every season. I get that either in person or on tv and feel privileged for that to be the case.

I’d hate to miss a game, when it does happen on occasion I can download the full game

Don't think I've missed a minute of Rovers this season. Fairly easy to find a stream of a game, may not hove sound or good picture quality but I can get a stream of some sort if I'm not at a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,037 ✭✭✭✭blade1

D14Rugby wrote: »
    if irish people gave their local teams the support they deserve
    The team's do get the support they deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,370 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

blade1 wrote: »
    The team's do get the support they deserve.

Because their sh!te?

The people who REFUSE to support the LOI and would rather help English teams and cities have some absolute cheek to criticise the standard of their own league.

No support, no quality.

But keep being the imbecile that Manchurians and Liverpudlians laugh at as they rake it in and ponder - "why the fcuk do so many Irish support us"?

It's embarrassing and pathetic.

To the other poster:

It is 100% a post colonial mentality.

"They are fundamentally better and bigger than us and thus everything is just better and we MUST support their teams and **** over our own, we'll never be good enough...blah, blah, blah"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

Because their sh!te?

The people who REFUSE to support the LOI and would rather help English teams and cities have some absolute cheek to criticise the standard of their own league.

No support, no quality.

But keep being the imbecile that Manchurians and Liverpudlians laugh at as they rake it in and ponder - why the fcuk do so many Irish support us?

I disagree ,Liverpool and Everton supporters consider Irish supporters the same as themselves.

Seems like a lot of begrudery from LOI fans here.

RobMc59 wrote: »
    I disagree ,Liverpool and Everton supporters consider Irish supporters the same as themselves.

You are wired to the moon if you seriously believe that.

They are laughing at you. They take your money and "support". They don't give a damn beyond that.

They are laughing at you. They take your money and "support". They don't give a damn beyond that.

I live on Merseyside and have supported Everton all my life.

Just look at the Sean Cox situation.
    Yeah nobody gave a damn about him :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Well then your commentary here is irrelevant. You live there. So you support your local team or one in your city.

Well then your commentary here is irrelevant. You live there. So you support your local team or one in your city.

I live in the area and go to watch football , i know from experience that Irish supporters are not considered"foreign "by Everton and Liverpool supporters.
    I have an interest in gaa and nfl but using your formula I shouldn't as they're not local to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

Ill never understand this either tbh, but people can support whoever they like. However, how premiership/english soccer is allowed dominate the media in ireland to the extent it does is a complete mystery to me. I know its popular but the way newstalk and todayfm, and rte to an extent treat it like the most important thing in news baffles me. I can kind of understsnd it for the european stuff, kind of, but if people want to hear about the premiership feic off to sky or the bbc. Its not like most of the country dont have access to uk channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

blade1 wrote: »
    Seems like a lot of begrudery from LOI fans here.

I used to somewhat of a begrudger to be very frank. Nowadays, I honestly think it's those who don't go to games week in and week out are the ones that are missing out. I honestly mean that. I'm glad attendances are on the rise over here. Seeing absolute worldies going in just mere feet from you is class. Potentially seeing the next James McClean coming through is exciting. The culture of doing an away day or seeing all the familiar lads and lassies for a big home Derby and organising and participating in displays are things that a tv can't bring you.

There's a certain draw in the grittiness that makes the League of Ireland what it is, it's the last of a dying breed. It's my sanitised, it's a bit chaotic but that's what we love. We get seasoned football people from all across the UK and Europe at Bohs matches every week because the secret is out among a lot of people. They're always made to feel welcome and it's because they are. If you haven't been before or in a few years, you'll be made to feel welcome if you get chatting to people too I'd wager.

You can have both. Have your English team and an LOI team, most of us do that go!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,288 ✭✭✭✭8-10

D14Rugby wrote: »
    Don't think I've missed a minute of Rovers this season. Fairly easy to find a stream of a game, may not hove sound or good picture quality but I can get a stream of some sort if I'm not at a game.

Fair enough, might be different for Rovers, my local team is first division and FotMob updates and twitter is the only way I can follow away games

Unless there's a streaming option I'm completely unaware of....??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭ Zain Raspy Tapir

[or seeing all the familiar lads and lassies for a big home Derby and organising and participating in displays]

LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 3,714 ✭✭✭Greyfox

But keep being the imbecile that Manchurians and Liverpudlians laugh at as they rake it in and ponder - "why the fcuk do so many Irish support us"?

Real fans of a club know a club needs as many supporters as it can get and they don't care what country the fans are from, the more fans the more money the club get. If a few thousand americans were to start following Rovers that would be a good day for the club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

Don't be worrying about what others think. If you enjoy supporting Liverpool/Man United/Everton/Accrington Stanley then do it. If you enjoy supporting Bohs don't worry about whether the diehards will welcome you to Dalymount or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Omackeral wrote: »
    I used to somewhat of a begrudger to be very frank. Nowadays, I honestly think it's those who don't go to games week in and week out are the ones that are missing out. I honestly mean that. I'm glad attendances are on the rise over here. Seeing absolute worldies going in just mere feet from you is class. Potentially seeing the next James McClean coming through is exciting. The culture of doing an away day or seeing all the familiar lads and lassies for a big home Derby and organising and participating in displays are things that a tv can't bring you.

There's a certain draw in the grittiness that makes the League of Ireland what it is, it's the last of a dying breed. It's my sanitised, it's a bit chaotic but that's what we love. We get seasoned football people from all across the UK and Europe at Bohs matches every week because the secret is out among a lot of people. They're always made to feel welcome and it's because they are. If you haven't been before or in a few years, you'll be made to feel welcome if you get chatting to people too I'd wager.

You can have both. Have your English team and an LOI team, most of us do that go!

I've argued this with you (too) many times but you were right all along.

[or seeing all the familiar lads and lassies for a big home Derby and organising and participating in displays]

LOL

Great contribution. Fantastic insights.

• Advertisement

I've argued this with you (too) many times but you were right all along.

Do you mean that you gave going to a game a chance? Who did You go to see? How was it? Were you sneered at?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

That's a double tragedy. Sorry for your troubles.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,802 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Some excitement around Ireland today with the culmination of the English football league!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

NIMAN wrote: »
    Some excitement around Ireland today with the culmination of the English football league!

The Munster hurling starts, which is a real reason to get excited.

Man United vs Liverpool is the All-Ireland final

• Registered Users Posts: 17,837 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Meh could be worse you could support Celtic. I'd rather watch Sunday league

• Registered Users Posts: 32,802 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Bar owners will love today, great finish to the EPL.

Packed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,288 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Packed.

Yeah been a while since there was a last day like this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭trashcan

Packed.

I used to have Sky Sports until a couple of years ago (always second place to supporting Pats though) Haven't "followed" an English team since I was a child in the seventies/early eighties - Man City incidentally. I' ll probably catch the highlights on MOTD, but I'm not a bit bothered about missing the games live, wouldn't go out to watch. I've honestly never missed Sky since I ditched it. I have BT sport - because I wanted Eir sport for the LOI matches and it was included, but the amount of games I watch live on it is minuscule, maybe 1 or 2 a season.

Pats v Bohs next weekend though... now you're talking.

• Advertisement

trashcan wrote: »
    Pats v Bohs next weekend though... now you're talking.

Away end is a dead cert to sell out. Bohs fans have been told not travel without a ticket. It'll be a great atmosphere in a rickety old-school ground, just the way I like it.
    Football doesnt have to be over for the summer just because the EPL is done.

Advertisement