Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do Irish people support English teams?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

dd973 wrote: »
    Exactly, why this thread repeatedly crops up again God only knows, Irish people watch English football, we just do.

It's probably partially to do with the fact that the same Irish people who salivate over these English teams and identifying with them are the same people people who openly exude anti-English sentiment in other walks of life. Or even just check out any comment section or thread when England are playing. There's a certain irony or hypocrisy or lack of self awareness there no matter what way it's dressed up.

"People can like what they want". Yes, obviously. It's just a discussion being had. It's a discussion site.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Come on you Spurs!
    bigtrain2a.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,695 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Omackeral wrote: »
    It's probably partially to do with the fact that the same Irish people who salivate over these English teams and identifying with them are the same people people who openly exude anti-English sentiment in other walks of life. Or even just check out any comment section or thread when England are playing. There's a certain irony or hypocrisy or lack of self awareness there no matter what way it's dressed up.

"People can like what they want". Yes, obviously. It's just a discussion being had. It's a discussion site.

A bit of a wild generalization to be quite frank. I would not have anything to do with folks who were anti ANY nationality. It’s also not an attitude ive picked up on during my time supporting an English team or traveling to English games with Irish people.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I was born and raised in Tipperary. My mother kept the home when Dad worked.

Dad worked in the merchant navy for yrs and loved soccer.

He lived in Inchicore when I was born. He was an officer on the Holyhead ferry.

We used to go to Richmond Park. Some of my earliest memomories in life are of him swearing and getting angry with me up on his lap.

He was a very emotive man, but very loving.

I just could never get why most of Dublin and the rest of the country supported the English league .

It's not just Irish support for English teams. I live in England and can't understand why someone from say Portsmouth would be a die hard Liverpool fan despite never being there!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 74,777 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Don't forget the haters!!

If you support one, you probably hate most if not all the others - that's a lot more hates than supports, which arguably makes the thread title a little misleading:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

Exactly, why this thread repeatedly crops up again God only knows, Irish people watch English football, we just do.

How about starting a thread about white people listening to Jazz?

Not really a great comparison. The basis of jazz isn't built around set communities, the whole point of music is that it doesn't have set borders.

Football clubs are the polar opposite, clubs origins are deeply rooted it the communities they're based in which is why they're named after places. Sadly football has moved away from that and become a pure business rather than the community hub that they were originally intended to be, its sad really and there's not really any going back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

D14Rugby wrote: »
    Not really a great comparison. The basis of jazz isn't built around set communities, the whole point of music is that it doesn't have set borders.

Football clubs are the polar opposite, clubs origins are deeply rooted it the communities they're based in which is why they're named after places. Sadly football has moved away from that and become a pure business rather than the community hub that they were originally intended to be, its sad really and there's not really any going back.
    Many clubs are making great efforts to stay linked to the local commu ity.
    Check through their programmes or websites and you will see details of many schemes involving schools, homeworkclubs, senior citizens, physically and mentally disabled assistance programmes. Manchester City has invested millions into community sporting facilities around the Etihad.
    While Premiership game tickets are pricey there are games where there is gooddiscount for families etc.
    Go down the English leagues to the smaller provincial clubs and there is certainly the commu ity spirit.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,435 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Sadly football has moved away from that and become a pure business rather than the community hub that they were originally intended to be, its sad really and there's not really any going back.

This is very true.

Look at teams like Arsenal and Southampton, the former only has the goal of getting to the group stage of the Champions League while the latter aims to make money from developing players and selling them on.

Tottenham have really done well this season, far exceeded anyone’s expectations for a team that doesn’t spend money on transfers as they focus on their new stadium instead.

If these teams put money into their team they could really be something.

The tide is turning…

Edgware wrote: »
    Many clubs are making great efforts to stay linked to the local commu ity.
    Check through their programmes or websites and you will see details of many schemes involving schools, homeworkclubs, senior citizens, physically and mentally disabled assistance programmes. Manchester City has invested millions into community sporting facilities around the Etihad.
    While Premiership game tickets are pricey there are games where there is gooddiscount for families etc.
    Go down the English leagues to the smaller provincial clubs and there is certainly the commuity spirit.

See that's it, you shouldn't have to go down the leagues to find it.
    The whole expansion of football to the empire it is today is great in that you get to see players from all over the world in one place but at the end of the day very few of those imports actually care about the club, the fans, the local community.
    But when you go back to the days where teams like the Lisbon lions were all from the area, kids could see people who were in their very shoes a few years before representing the club so they knew it was possible. Nowadays academies are even filled with kids around the world which has its pros and cons but it's a huge con in that you lose that connection between fan and player. The to compound that the fans are from god knows where and aren't really invested in the same way locals are.

It's just sad to see, I understand why it has happened but that connection between fans and players just isn't there most places these days for the most part. It's just sad how money and success oriented football is at the top level now because that's not what it's about.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,391 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Ardillaun wrote: »
    What I’m saying is that the quality argument is bogus. English teams historically were poor by continental standards. It is true that we are dominated by British media but the opportunities to watch European soccer in English have never been better.

Historically poor at club level? The number of european trophies won by english teams pre-Heysel suggests otherwise.

When channel 4 covered Italian football AC milan jerseys became fashionable here so opportunity to watch in english is key for sure.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

I once had a friend who supported an Italian team :eek:

I have a soft spot for Atalanta since winning the european cup with them in Championship Manager Italia...

In the early 90s Serie A teams had the superstars even the top English players like Gazza and Platt.

I am sure Liverpool's exploits tonight are seeding a whole new generation of Liverpool fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,880 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Beasty wrote: »
    Don't forget the haters!!

If you support one, you probably hate most if not all the others - that's a lot more hates than supports, which arguably makes the thread title a little misleading:pac:

That United fans. United and City fans. United, City and Liverpool fans. United, City Liverpool and... hang on, I'll come in again...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

How about starting a thread about white people listening to Jazz?

Because these kinds of threads are started by people who have no interest in football and most probably sport in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

odyssey06 wrote: »
    When channel 4 covered Italian football AC milan jerseys became fashionable here so opportunity to watch in english is key for sure.

That's when I started following Serie A. Most games are covered in English these days thankfully although the UK and Ireland rights are dues to change again next season I think.

Sweet baby jebus! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

LIVERPOOL ARE AMAZING...

UP THE REDS.

OOPS, SORRY, they're an English team :(

I am sure Liverpool's exploits tonight are seeding a whole new generation of Liverpool fans.

And that's sad in a way. When you support a team because they're successful you're not getting the full experience that a fan should.

And that's sad in a way. When you support a team because they're successful you're not getting the full experience that a fan should.

I am sure they will... Excluding the bandwagon jumpers who switch allegiance at the drop of a hat... I just meant their glorious exploits are seeding a new generation of fans who having identified\imprinted with the team in success, will in future know the pain of defeat and failure and mediocrity :)

And Liverpool fans of the 80s who stuck with the team though the 90s see the pendulum swing back their way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

On other hand, Dundalks European exploits (and 4 league titles 2 FAI Cups in 5 years) have every child in town at easter camps, football training, at school in Dundalk FC clothing. Many of these will be now be hooked on going to Oriel every Friday night for rest of their lives. Would this have happened with success?

My own brother started supporting Dundalk in 2002 his first game was FAI Cup final aged 10, we won and he was hooked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Excluding the bandwagon jumpers who switch allegiance at the drop of a hat...

I can't think of anybody I know over the age of 8 years old who has done this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Who might want to go see live football and realise there is live football on their doorstep.

They arent mutually exclusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

what LOI? rather watch paint dry

I am sure they will... Excluding the bandwagon jumpers who switch allegiance at the drop of a hat... I just meant their glorious exploits are seeding a new generation of fans who having identified\imprinted with the team in success, will in future know the pain of defeat and failure and mediocrity :)

And Liverpool fans of the 80s who stuck with the team though the 90s see the pendulum swing back their way.

Lets be honest now those lows were hardly actual lows in the grand scheme of things, just in comparison to Liverpool's success which set such a high bar for comparison to.
    On other hand, Dundalks European exploits (and 4 league titles 2 FAI Cups in 5 years) have every child in town at easter camps, football training, at school in Dundalk FC clothing. Many of these will be now be hooked on going to Oriel every Friday night for rest of their lives. Would this have happened with success?

My own brother started supporting Dundalk in 2002 his first game was FAI Cup final aged 10, we won and he was hooked.

Yeah its sadly a part of Irish sports in general to just support a team when it's successful (I wasn't saying that as part of them supporting a foreign club because they're successful just in general), it's particularly bad in football now though because of the fact it has become so completely success and money orientated, that's the sad bit, not just abroad but all over.
    fryup wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Great input there.

And the last game you went to to form this opinion was?

FYI quotes are a thing you know? The button isn't exactly easy to miss

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

many moons ago, thankfully rte2 show regular live & highlight LOI programmes to show people things haven't improved much

*btw - there's no need to quote a reply thats just above

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

many moons ago, thankfully rte2 show regular live & highlight LOI programmes to show people things haven't improved much

*btw - there's no need to quote a reply thats just above

So an unspecific game an unspecific amount of time ago is your basis for the quality of the league. Pull the other one.

RTEs live league coverage is anything but regular.
    The highlights are about 30 seconds of a match, a real accurate reflection of the games quality.

Just on this page there's 3 posts within a minute of each other, say someone goes to make a cup of tea before hitting posts or even re reads to check for spelling mistakes, that completely changes the order of the posts, messing up your ^^^^ method

RTEs live league coverage is anything but regular.
    The highlights are about 30 seconds of a match, a real accurate reflection of the games quality.

well any time they do show a live match its usually cr@p, so going by that i'm not missing much
    Just on this page there's 3 posts within a minute of each other, say someone goes to make a cup of tea before hitting posts or even re reads to check for spelling mistakes, that completely changes the order of the posts, messing up your ^^^^ method

rarely happens

• Registered Users Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭valoren

Variety is the spice of life.

A person can play for their local outfit, play weekly 5 a side, they can go to League of Ireland matches time permitting, they can follow Liverpool because they were the dominant team in their formative years, they can follow AC Milan when they had Gullit and Van Basten, they can follow a Newcastle mid-90's outfit with their attacking tactics and hope they beat United to the title, they can lose their **** when Ole scores to win a United treble, they can appreciate the brilliant football of Arsenal's invincible squad in the 00's, they can wish to see everyone's second favorite team Spurs do well, they can relish in the brilliance of a Leicester City title run, they can hope Liverpool beat a team of mercenaries to a long awaited title, they can watch the excitement of the CL knockout games and pick a favorite, they can appreciate tikki-takka football, they can support the national team hoping they qualify for major tournaments and when they get knocked out or fail to qualify they can follow the likes of the great Spanish sides of the 00's and can even relish in the excitement of an England squad reaching a WC semi-final.

That type of fluidity let's the beautiful game flourish. Insular, black and white attitude's quell it. If you love football then there is plenty of variety and why Irish people follow English teams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If that is what makes you happy.
    I'll let the lads know you won't be along because they aren't Messi.

• Advertisement

valoren wrote: »
    Variety is the spice of life.

A person can play for their local outfit, play weekly 5 a side, they can go to League of Ireland matches time permitting, they can follow Liverpool because they were the dominant team in their formative years, they can follow AC Milan when they had Gullit and Van Basten, they can follow a Newcastle mid-90's outfit with their attacking tactics and hope they beat United to the title...

+1 to everything except following Liverpool and Newcastle.
    You can't follow two teams in the same league\pyramid that's just cheating, besides what happens if they meet?
    You have to have a hierarchy and once you put a team as #1 then you're locked in and it's about who you cheer for as your current #2 in the competition :)

Advertisement