Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Naming and Shaming bad debts = bad form?

Options
  • 10-05-2008 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭

To follow on from the locked thread - without naming any names obviously....

Is is really unethical to out someone who owes you money?

Obviously if i stuck up a list of the folks who owe me money, but are likely to pay me back it would be poor form.

But what happens when they start fobbing you off and it becomes increasingly apparant that simply asking them will not get your money back?

I'm pretty sure injuring them would be looked down on, and in most cases there's no written contract, so do you just accept that your money's gone or...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

if you tell them you'll go puplic and they still don't pay up or give a very good reason like been really brokes etc, than I can understand outing them.

I'm in the same boat at the moment and have given a final warning as I've had enough of asking for my money back, if it continues, I would tell people and make it very puplic, but only of I kept getting the run around.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,498 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Well all I can say is that I personally retrieved moneys owed to me from a crack addict when I lived in the US, and I did not have to tell everybody about it either.

This is not a joke btw. And clearly I didn't know he was a junkie when I gave him the money.

I personally believe that those who do not have the stones to get their money back are the ones who get stung.
    They go around talking behind peoples backs but not to their face as they would lead to you believe they did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭jbravado

I have written off money in the past but I would never out them, I sympathise with WANTING to but think it lacks a little class. I owe a few people loots at the moment (its in the post) and if they really were stuck for it I would ensure I got the loots from somewhere. As a rule if I have to ask for money back I wouldnt lend to that person again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭nicnicnic

Ollieboy wrote: »
    if you tell them you'll go puplic and they still don't pay up or give a very good reason like been really brokes etc, than I can understand outing them.

I'm in the same boat at the moment and have given a final warning as I've had enough of asking for my money back, if it continues, I would tell people and make it very puplic, but only of I kept getting the run around.

does Joe owe you money to Ollie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭HoLLLLLaments

eagle eye wrote: »
    Well all I can say is that I personally retrieved moneys owed to me from a crack addict when I lived in the US, and I did not have to tell everybody about it either.

This is not a joke btw. And clearly I didn't know he was a junkie when I gave him the money.

I personally believe that those who do not have the stones to get their money back are the ones who get stung.
    They go around talking behind peoples backs but not to their face as they would lead to you believe they did.
    yeh he shud wait outside his house with an ak47

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I'd rather break his legs tbh.

"Outing" him on the interwebs is a bit gay.(pun definitly intended) If I owed someone money and they publicly stated I wasnt paying it back without give me prior warning they were going to do this then I'd never pay them pay.*

*I never let my debts run over though, and if I do it's within good reason and I'd remind the person I owe on a regular basis about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Mr.Plough

7996475_e33c4e0aa8.jpg

problem solved imo

If you need one of them I think I'd just let him welch.:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭a-k-47

and ill give him one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭mormank

well i am owed money from two different ppl for over 18 months now. i did not lend them the money. instead it was wages that i was owed that i never got. both still play regularly and are very well known galway players that still play on the circuit but just refuse to give me what im owed cos im very rarely in galway.

what do i do here??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,120 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

nicnicnic wrote: »
    does Joe owe you money to Ollie

Not money, but defo some decent hands, terrible dealer and no loyalty to people from his own county...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

It might be worth noting that we already have had a naming and shaming episode before when dealers were owed monies. Seemed appropriate at the time but I would say that being one of the parties. Ultimately this was satisfactorily resolved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Pub07

eagle eye wrote: »

Obviously he had the money at the time to repay you and felt like he wanted to. If he didn't have the money or said he just wasn't gonna bother repaying you, what could you have done?

I personally lent a very close friend €700 a few years ago and he stiffed me on repaying it, we fell out over it and all, it wasn't the money itself it was the principle. It's strange the way some people who are totally sound in every other way can become absolute c*nts when it comes to money. That's why I will never lend any kind of serious money to anybody again bar close family.

Wtf? Of course the poster from the locked thread has asked for his money back from whoever it is and I would imagine he has asked numerous times at this stage if he decided to post what he did as last resort.

"Stones to get their money back"? What are you going to do if someone flat out refuses to pay you? Break their legs? There is f*ck all you can do. Even if you did resort to violence, you'll end up worse off by the time the court case is finished so that's a -EV solution. Naming and shaming is perfectly ok imo as a last resort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭sickpuppy

No symapthy for scabs personally if name and shame gets them to pay so be it.
    Maybe apublic humiliation stops them from doing it again and they can perhaps face up to there obvious problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I think there is a difference between:

- a situation where someone has scammed you or has shorted you and is repeatedly fobbing you off - where the person concerned still has good credit / reputation in the community and nobody or very few people are aware that you have been ripped off;

- a situation where you are one of many creditors and it is well known that the person in question is currently unreliable to uphold financial transactions and is owing to numerous members of the community - and is fobbing them off;

In the former scenario a thread naming names serves a purpose - as it warns the community and it is taking something away from the person in question (their reputation). However, in the latter case it amounts to unnecessarily dragging someones name through the mud when doing that is unlikely to help you get your debt paid.

As such, I think it was right that the thread was locked and personal names removed. I think people who are live regs / highstakes online regs are probably aware of the situation to some degree and would be unlikely to allow themselves to be tapped up. Letting people who would never be tapped up know about it as well seems pointless to me.

I dont get this at all. The criteria for posting about it has little or nothing to do with "good for the community", thats just a side benefit. If people behave in bad and underhand ways then the onus should certainly not reside on the person screwed over to keep it out of the publics eye.

sickpuppy wrote: »
    No symapthy for scabs personally if name and shame gets them to pay so be it.
    Maybe apublic humiliation stops them from doing it again and they can perhaps face up to there obvious problems.

Fyi scab = a person who passes an official picket line

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

Again, who cares? Why should the person who has been screwed over not let everyone know? The fact that it isnt going to do any good is not reason enough to not post something. Are you suggesting that no-one should make a post unless you think there is a good reason to do so? Obviously not, thats not the way the world works. Unless there is a very good reason not to post something, it should be allowed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭nicnicnic

The point is that it is public amongst those who are likely to be tapped up for further loans from the person in question. I can't see any good reason for letting people who are never likely to meet; talk to; or see the person in question also know that he has a bad financial reputation.

hmmm vengeance maybe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Glowingmind

The point is that it is public amongst those who are likely to be tapped up for further loans from the person in question. I can't see any good reason for letting people who are never likely to meet; talk to; or see the person in question also know that he has a bad financial reputation.

I'm sure not everyone likely to be tapped up does actually know. It may well be precieved to be common knowledge amongst the people who are owed money, but there's no reason to allow any unwitting generous person to be added to the list.

Also, eagle eye - scab is a common reference to a cheapskate (or someone who begs for money) (well it is where i'm from anyway.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭sickpuppy

A scab may also form on an open wound fyi me hole,
    ok the kunts that dont pay back moneys borrowed but still play on a table witha big stack of chips these kunts should be outed so they do not dupe anyone else happy now eagle eye?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭NickyOD

The problem is there are always two sides to every story and it often becomes a grey area as to who who owes who what and how much and what went on in the past before this loan was given.

If you're gona' name and shame the guy when he is just flat broke and has no way to pay then it's bad form, but if he's clearly capable of paying and doesn't then I guess it's okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭RoundTower

Again, who cares? Why should the person who has been screwed over not let everyone know? The fact that it isnt going to do any good is not reason enough to not post something. Are you suggesting that no-one should make a post unless you think there is a good reason to do so? Obviously not, thats not the way the world works. Unless there is a very good reason not to post something, it should be allowed.

it's not about whether it's bad form or not, but whether someone might be unhappy with it. Do you think DeV would want a thread like that on his forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭ianmc38

jbravado wrote: »
    I owe a few people several items of clothing at the moment

FYP you pikey!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭ianmc38

Mick the Lip is an online high roller now? Lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Tribezz

Quite simple really NEVER EVER loan money to crack addicts, degenerate gamblers or poker players no matter how "successful":rolleyes:
    =+ev imo

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭a-k-47

all this over a tenner

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 880 ✭✭✭eggie

If you lend someone money in good grace, morality and personal judgement normally dictates repayment, obviously this is not the case.

The fact of the matter is, if repayment is not forthcoming then the amount credited is the cost of getting that person out of your life so that you will not incur future costs of same. The price you pay is dependent upon your initial judgement of character.

Advertisement