Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB apprenticeship

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Sparky2011 wrote: »
    To be honest with you I do believe that if you have already completed your apprenticeship and are qualified FAS wont let you do it again.. Could be worth checking this out before you go applying!

+1

You can't serve time and study for a qualification that you already hold

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭dolittle

if you have served you time and got a degree in electrical services engineering
    then why dont you try the facilities management route
    with your degree and the electrical background it could be a good move

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 f_deasy

Has anyone heard anything from the esb since the closing date of applications?

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭HoggyRS

f_deasy wrote: »

Heard nothing myself. I think the exam yoke is usually around May so i'd say there will be emails mid april.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Sparky2011

f_deasy wrote: »

Last year the aptitude test was the week after easter. You should get a letter telling you a date and time for this about two-three weeks before it. It will probably be same time this year because of lads applying who are doing leaving cert! It will also have a little booklet with a few example questions of the four sections in the test.

All of this is assumin your application was good enough for them! :)

There was in or around 4500 applicants last year with 1200 being called for the aptitutde test and a further 450 for interview with 100 apprentices taken on! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭evosteo

just found this it may be of interest to you all..........

The ESB Apprenticeship 2011 Competition

This year the ESB plan to hold an online aptitude test as part of the selection process. Candidates who are successful in the aptitude test will then be called for interview. Career Services will be holding tailor made 1- Day ESB Aptitude Test and Interview preparation courses for the 2011 competition.

http://www.careerservices.ie/ESB/index.php

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭TheBully

HoggyRS wrote: »
    Heard nothing myself. I think the exam yoke is usually around May so i'd say there will be emails mid april.

All the best with it! Its a great apprenticeship

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭stephenk123

anybody hear anything

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭ChriisM

Just got a letter today from them saying ill be doing the Aptitude test this friday. Any of you genius's help me out on whats on the aptitute test?

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

From what I remember it's the usual, spacial awareness, logical reasoning, mechanical reasoning, numerical reasoning and the likes, did they not send ya out sample questions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭osullic

ChriisM wrote: »
    Just got a letter today from them saying ill be doing the Aptitude test this friday. Any of you genius's help me out on whats on the aptitute test?

You got a letter?I still haven't heard anything since the initial email.I'm starting to worry a bit now.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,710 ✭✭✭meercat

ChriisM wrote: »

yes .letters received by family members saying online aptitude test to be completed by the 21st.
    starting this friday
    dont think there is anything to worry about in the tests
    just take your time and do your best
    good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭ChriisM

bassey wrote: »
    From what I remember it's the usual, spacial awareness, logical reasoning, mechanical reasoning, numerical reasoning and the likes, did they not send ya out sample questions?

So nothing id need to study for ? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 River Boy1986

Got a letter today also...if successful with the appitude test does anyone when interviews might take place?Going to work in the U.S for a few weeks so just wondering?

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭yew_tree

Got the letter today. Will probably give it a go tomorrow. im sure the tests are timed?

Got my letter this morning anyway.:)

Did anyone get the e-mail from the partners regarding the test?
    I'm assuming they won't send it out until tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭stephenk123

got the letter yesterday hopefully all goes well

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭HoggyRS

Got the letter this morning, gonna have a bash on saturday off the exams

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭yew_tree

anybody get an email yet? - I assumed they would be sent out this morning?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 secure_watch

Got my letter there yesterday too but no e-mail either.. is this online assesment a new way of shorlisting or is there only a certain number of people doing it ??

Got my e-mail at half four or so.I think I'll do the test tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Grannie Annie

Hi, I'm new to this so need encouragement!
    My son has been offered the aptitude test for ESB on line. Has anyone completed it yet? Ne idea what it is going to entail?

Thanks in advance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Hi, I'm new to this so need encouragement!
    My son has been offered the aptitude test for ESB on line. Has anyone completed it yet? Ne idea what it is going to entail?

Thanks in advance :)

Hi,
    I just did it, it's exactly as its supposed to be. An aptitude test. I'm 17, I did it, but I timed myself pretty badly. Took too long on certain things and took me a while to figure out I could skip questions. Just let him have a go and see. As it says on the letter, there's no point in helping him, he'll have to do it again if he gets futher.

Also, does anyone know if you can skip the apprenticeship and go straight to engineering in college. Does it have to be Electrical Engineering and does it have to be in CIT/DIT? I'd rather be do Mechanical Engineering as I want to become an Formula One engineer sooooo badly!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Young Friel

How good is the training of the ESB apprentices??? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Grannie Annie

Hi, thanks for reply.
    My son completed the aptitude test on Sun night. It was difficult to complete the assignments in the time allowed & the section on your personal preferences was very repetitive. :confused: Hope he gets to the next stage.
    If you are interested in mechanical engineering I think you are completly off track applying to the ESB!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 J.R. Ewing

Hi, got email to do aptitude test by 21st. It's been quite a while since I sat the leaving cert, does anyone know what level of maths required for engineering aptitude test? Will need to cram revise a years syllabus in next few days before taking test??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭evosteo

just recieved this email a short time ago, just as i suspected they would not accept qualified lads or lads nearly through their apprentiship. unfortunate but worth the try.

Thank you for your application for the ESB Apprenticeship Programme 2011.

I very much regret to inform you that as you are currently in or have completed an Electrical Apprenticeship programme we cannot consider you for this role.

This news will no doubt be disappointing to you, but may I sincerely thank you for your interest in ESB.

It is ESB Policy to retain all information submitted to us for 2 years, for recording purposes only. Please advise us if you are unwilling to allow ESB to hold your information for this period. ESB will not use this information for any future vacancies.

May I also take this opportunity to wish you all the very best for the future.

Mod edit.

Name and number removed. Thanks for the report. I took the name and number off the thread as it was given to the person / people the message was sent to only. Thank you for the post though.

J.R. Ewing wrote: »
    Hi, got email to do aptitude test by 21st. It's been quite a while since I sat the leaving cert, does anyone know what level of maths required for engineering aptitude test? Will need to cram revise a years syllabus in next few days before taking test??

No just have a calculator handy.Its just basic multiplication and addition for most of it.
    I did it on Saturday and found the maths and verbal handy but was a bit caught for time on some of the other stuff.
    All the best with it anyway J.R.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

mtb_kng wrote: »
    Hi,
    I just did it, it's exactly as its supposed to be. An aptitude test. I'm 17, I did it, but I timed myself pretty badly. Took too long on certain things and took me a while to figure out I could skip questions. Just let him have a go and see. As it says on the letter, there's no point in helping him, he'll have to do it again if he gets futher.

Also, does anyone know if you can skip the apprenticeship and go straight to engineering in college. Does it have to be Electrical Engineering and does it have to be in CIT/DIT? I'd rather be do Mechanical Engineering as I want to become an Formula One engineer sooooo badly!!!

No you can't skip straight to college, you wouldn't have a clue what was going on. Yes it does have to be in DIT or CIT and why on earth would the ESB bother sending you off to do mechanical engineering??:confused:

Advertisement