Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All things SUSI / grants (see links in first post)

• 26-10-2013 9:43pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭

*** Susi main site with information on how to apply etc. ***

Please read the general information on the main site, and only use the contacts below for specific queries / issues arising.

You can contact SUSI ...

... by e-mail at support@susi.ie

... through Facebook

... on Twitter

... by phone at 0761 08 7874

All documentation / correspondence should be sent to

P.O. Box 869,
    Togher,
    Cork

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭AndreaEgan

Anyone know when you can apply for SUSI 2014/15? It still says 2013/14 on the page. I know it's early but...
    It's very early! :D

At this stage they're only trying to sort out the last of this year's lot. I think it opened in May last year.

No harm at all though to have a glance through and see what you need in case any documentation will be difficult to source.

Hi guys.
    I sat my Leaving Cert in 2013. It will definitely be well into May 2014 before SUSI opens for ye.
    After what happened in 2012 with SUSI we were all anxiously waiting to apply for the grant this year but it was the last week in May before it opened so we had a week to apply with the help of our career guidance teacher (but you do have until August to apply). But, I can honestly say I have had no problem whatsoever with SUSI!
    Basically I would advise you to apply early (in order to get your documentation requirement form back as early as possible to allow time for you to send away for them), this form will also give you a deadline to send back all relevant documents. After that, all you can do is await your 'provisionally awarded' status.
    This year, SUSI's first installments were given out in October (it normally is given from October - June) and I received my installment in October. However, I do know there is some people who are still waiting on theirs but to be honest I believe people themselves can hold it up, possibly through no fault of their own.
    Also I would recommend ticking the box on the CAO form to allow the CAO to notify SUSI when you've been offered your college place to avoid some hassle later in the year!

Thats all I can think of. I hope it was some help :)
    Also, here is a video with some information on it. This was released in 2012 so some things may be a little different but it gives the general idea :D

And, best of luck to ye! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edrZOVtllOQ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭HauntedGhost

I got a letter from SUSI saying I have to put down the course I had accepted but I'm just after finishing my Leaving Cert two days ago and won't know which course I will get until August?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I got a letter from SUSI saying I have to put down the course I had accepted but I'm just after finishing my Leaving Cert two days ago and won't know which course I will get until August?
    0_o

Can you transcribe the actual wording of the relevant paragraph here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭HauntedGhost

0_o

Can you transcribe the actual wording of the relevant paragraph here?

Basically It is asking me for my Final Course Acceptance Form. Do i have to fill out the form with the course I wish to do in September? I'm confused because what happens if i don't get it and I've filled it out in the form?

Sorry if i sound a bit silly, It just has confused me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭matthew the statue

2014/15 Applicants
    ** Please note that although you are requested to fill in an FCA in your initial checklist letter, this does not need to be completed until a later stage. Please forward all other requested documents as soon as possible. Final Course Acceptance forms for applicants applying for a grant for the 2014/15 academic year will be available in the coming weeks.**
    What does it mean by this as the letter I got states that I most send all the documentation they need by 21st and that if I am missing documentation I will not receive the grant?

2014/15 Applicants
    ** Please note that although you are requested to fill in an FCA in your initial checklist letter, this does not need to be completed until a later stage. Please forward all other requested documents as soon as possible. Final Course Acceptance forms for applicants applying for a grant for the 2014/15 academic year will be available in the coming weeks.**

What does it mean by this as the letter I got states that I most send all the documentation they need by 21st and that if I am missing documentation I will not receive the grant?
    And that's why they added that note specially when they realised that the way the letter was worded was confusing people. If you look just above, you will see that HauntedGhost was confused by / worrying about the same thing.

You can't send a Final Course Acceptance form before you've been offered a course, let alone accepted it, and, assuming you're one of the majority waiting for CAO offers in late August, you haven't even been offered one yet!

Make sure to send everything else they're looking for in good time.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭matthew the statue

And that's why they added that note specially when they realised that the way the letter was worded was confusing people. If you look just above, you will see that HauntedGhost was confused by / worrying about the same thing.

You can't send a Final Course Acceptance form before you've been offered a course, let alone accepted it, and, assuming you're one of the majority waiting for CAO offers in late August, you haven't even been offered one yet!

Make sure to send everything else they're looking for in good time.

I realize what you are saying but the letter says I have to send all the documents in the time span. Are they just going to make an exception for this if I do not send one(because I cant) and not cancel my application?

You can't send it.

The majority of the country can't.

The letter was written first, with the "all documentation" bit included.

Then they realised that people were taking that to include the FCA as well, which is an impossibility.

So they put up a clarification on their website saying that "although you are requested to fill in an FCA in your initial checklist letter, this does not need to be completed until a later stage."

There's no exception involved; you can't send one, the vast majority of people can't. They never intended or expected you to send one at this point, they just worded the initial letter badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

I got the letter from susi asking for the documents to be sent to them.
    Is the Declaration form all I have to send back to them? The CAO will share my final course acceptance details, and the bank details are entered on the susi website.

Just want to double check as it seems like very little.

Yeah, that's what I got and just sent the declaration form

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Missovoxo

I applied on the 8th as well and it's been on the last stage since the 28th of May :( Would it have up on your grantsonline page when your application has been accepted? Because the post round here is awful and I kinda wanna know ASAP.

Mine was on the last stage for ages. Yeah it was updated online. When did you send your documentation? I sent mine back on the 12th of June.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭whoopsadaisy

So I rang up SUSI today just to make sure everything was okay and they said they can't tell me whether or not I will get the grant until I accept a course after Monday. If you said on your CAO form you want to share your stuff with SUSI then there's no need to bother with the FCA. So all's well :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,088 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Classify wrote: »
    I accepted my course monday and it still says "Provisionally Awarded pending receipt and review of course acceptance details from the CAO." Is that okay or should I contact them about it. Fairly sure, I clicked the option that CAO would send him details.

Yes that's OK.

I suspect CAO downloads a massive list to their database at the end of each round acceptance period, Classify, rather than it going through student by student (not that I know for sure, but it seems a much more logical way to do it).

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭chatterboxxx95

Okay so what would theoretically happen if I dropped out before 1st of February and reapply to do something different in September? I know I would have full fees for one semester of college but would dropping out automatically disqualify me from applying for the grant if I were to go back to college and if so would I be unable to get it for the one semester of 1st year, the whole year or does it mean I can never get it again?? Sorry if this is already answered I just can't seem to find the answer anywhere

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,088 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Okay so what would theoretically happen if I dropped out before 1st of February and reapply to do something different in September? I know I would have full fees for one semester of college but would dropping out automatically disqualify me from applying for the grant if I were to go back to college and if so would I be unable to get it for the one semester of 1st year, the whole year or does it mean I can never get it again?? Sorry if this is already answered I just can't seem to find the answer anywhere

If your fees have been paid by SUSI for the first year, you won't get them again for the first year of a course. I think you have to have dropped out much earlier than this for them to be able to recoup the fees.
    You can apply for college again, but you will not get the grant for a second first year.

If you officially withdraw before the 31st Jan, then you should only be caught for one semester's / half fees next year ... e.g. see Point 2 on this page (UCD)

Best to check with your own college asap though ... "latest" withdrawal dates used to vary somewhat from college to college, though I think they have become more and more standard over the last couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Kremin

I'm sitting the leaving cert this year and was putting my info into the eligibility reckoner, I noticed it says income from 2013.. do they actually want income from 2013 or just haven't changed it yet?
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Forever21

Kremin wrote: »
    I'm sitting the leaving cert this year and was putting my info into the eligibility reckoner, I noticed it says income from 2013.. do they actually want income from 2013 or just haven't changed it yet?
    Thanks!

It's just not changed yet. It'll be income from 2014 & it'll be May before it's opened so no need to worry.

Forever21 wrote: »
    It's just not changed yet. It'll be income from 2014 & it'll be May before it's opened so no need to worry.

Awesome thanks. so it opens in may and closes in august right?

• Advertisement

Kremin wrote: »
    Awesome thanks. so it opens in may and closes in august right?

It opens in May. Get your stuff assembled and in as early as you can. I'm not sure when the application process closes as it has to allow for people who did not know they were going to college this year and they might not know until September. The important date is when it opens. Check all the documents you need to submit and get organising them early.

spurious wrote: »
    It opens in May. Get your stuff assembled and in as early as you can. I'm not sure when the application process closes as it has to allow for people who did not know they were going to college this year and they might not know until September. The important date is when it opens. Check all the documents you need to submit and get organising them early.

Cool, thanks for the advice.

Especially anything from social welfare. They can take ages (up to 8 weeks) to return forms etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 40 69cokaz

Right, so I was in first year of college but i have dropped out (not returned for 2nd semester). Anyone know the story with the grant? I plan on going back to college next year and as far as I know I will receive grant for everything except the first semester of first year. Anyone tell me the story with this?

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Deranged96

spurious wrote: »

Just to clarify:At this stage (going to college sept. 15) you cant do anything about the grant grabbing except get your documents together? I clicked the grant box on the CAO and heard nothing back about it, but someone at school was on about having got a letter...

Deranged96 wrote: »
    Just to clarify:At this stage (going to college sept. 15) you cant do anything about the grant grabbing except get your documents together? I clicked the grant box on the CAO and heard nothing back about it, but someone at school was on about having got a letter...

Susi Will open the grant application mid April this year so I would have all documents ready to go as its a long process & takes time & Susi do not send letters before one apply online. Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Deranged96

Forever21 wrote: »
    Susi Will open the grant application mid April this year so I would have all documents ready to go as its a long process & takes time & Susi do not send letters before one apply online. Hope that helps.

Thank you!

Susi will open online grant application Thursday 23rd April this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭nickys

what exactly is needed for the application or where can I find this out?

• Advertisement

nickys wrote: »
    what exactly is needed for the application or where can I find this out?

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/reference/checklists/checklist_of_documents_needed_when_applying_for_a_student_grant.html
    Much will depend on what level of funding/grant you are applying for.

Advertisement