Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Richard Branson apologises for photo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

To extrapolate that idea further, in a place where there are very few minorities, it would make more business sense to not hire any?

Well, no, because they still may be sufficiently capable of doing the tasks which the job entails.
    And, if you have enough hires to allow you to engage with the target market/suppliers as you feel is best, you will not lose though having a diverse hire.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Last time South Africa people were going this crazy over race it was in the 80s...

biko wrote: »
    Last time South Africa people were going this crazy over race it was in the 80s...

Have you not turned your radio or TV on in 30 years? Or read a newspaper?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Chance of 1st hire being white (out of black white option) is 50%
    Chance of 2nd hire (as well as first) being white is 25%.
    And so on.

I was wrong though, it is 2 to the power of 8, not 7. Meaning a .39% that all 8 hires will be white.

That would just be the chance of picking randomers though, not the best candidates for a given job. Also if 80% are black surely the odds of the first one being white would be 20% not 50%. So the odds of 8 randomers all being white would be vastly lower than .39%

I have no idea what the actual numbers for the best hires would be, but i'd hazard a guess that the best educated people in South Africa are hugely disproportionately white.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,627 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Have you not turned your radio or TV on in 30 years? Or read a newspaper?

Or **** it even the Trevor Noah specials

• Advertisement

That would just be the chance of picking randomers though, not the best candidates for a given job. Also if 80% are black surely the odds of the first one being white would be 20% not 50%. So the odds of 8 randomers all being white would be vastly lower than .39%

I have no idea what the actual numbers for the best hires would be, but i'd hazard a guess that the best educated people in South Africa are hugely disproportionately white.

I was being forgiving with suggesting the 50% likelihood but, yes, I agree that the chances of 8 successive hires being white should be smaller than .39% in South Africa.

You might argue that while percentage wise, more whites have a higher degree of education, given that there are many times more blacks in the population, that the actual split of applicants would have worked out at 50/50 and hence we are back to the 0.39%

• Registered Users Posts: 34,417 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

but i'd hazard a guess that the best educated people in South Africa are hugely disproportionately white.

Due to the racial demographic, per capita white people would be among the more highly educated alright.

However, if you're talking actual percentage breakdown in universities it's not far off.

University of Pretoria in 2017 was 46% white, 45% Black African (47% if you included Cape Coloureds) and 7% Indian.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I see absolutely no reason for an apology. Am I wrong?

Originally I was going to agree with you but then I read that the phone is used to launch a South African company. Would you not think it odd if Michael O Leary used a photo of only Black people to launch an Irish company?

It's not racist or anything like that & I like Richard Branson but his PR people didn't think this one all the way Through imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭HorrorScope

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Originally I was going to agree with you but then I read that the phone is used to launch a South African company. Would you not think it odd if Michael O Leary used a photo of only Black people to launch an Irish company?

It's not racist or anything like that & I like Richard Branson but his PR people didn't think this one all the way Through imo.

The difference being that if Michael O Leary used a photo of only black staff, you’d be accused of being a racist for protesting it. But the reverse is absolutely fine as long as white people are the target of it.

The difference being that if Michael O Leary used a photo of only black staff, you’d be accused of being a racist for protesting it. But the reverse is absolutely fine as long as white people are the target of it.

Don't be putting words in my mouth. I have adopted Black African members of my own family. I'm 100 percent against racism. I just don't believe that this photo is racist. It's a mistake for sure but not for a second do I believe Branson tweeted this as a racist photo. It's not a good photo to publicise a South African business venture that's for sure

• Advertisement

Don't be putting words in my mouth. I have adopted Black African members of my own family. I'm 100 percent against racism. I just don't believe that this photo is racist. It's a mistake for sure but not for a second do I believe Branson tweeted this as a racist photo. It's not a good photo to publicise a South African business venture that's for sure
    Nobody put words in your mouth?

They are your exact words, I didn’t twist anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭joseywhales

It's a bit laughable that Richard Branson has any motivation beyond ego,legacy and money. People's race doesn't even come into it because they are all below him equally to be out competed or used as a tool for the best price possible, there is no racism. Equal discrimination.

"you'd" be accused of being racist for protesting it. My point is that I'd never protest something like that
    They are your exact words, I didn’t twist anything.
    Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Look at the end of the day I agree with you. Having followed Branson or at least the public Branson for the last 30 odd years I don't believe this man ever wants to offend anyone. He's been heavily involved with African charities for decades.

"you'd" be accused of being racist for protesting it. My point is that I'd never protest something like that

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Look at the end of the day I agree with you. Having followed Branson or at least the public Branson for the last 30 odd years I don't believe this man ever wants to offend anyone. He's been heavily involved with African charities for decades.

I wasn’t talking about you specifically man, I’m saying if he’d posed with all black staff people would have the same reaction and be protesting it. But it’s ok when the shoe is on the other foot. Sorry for any confusion :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,970 ✭✭✭Odhinn

He has no reason to apologise, I don't see why there needs to be token diversity in every little thing nowadays.

You don't see any contextual problem with an all white photo in South Africa...?

Odhinn wrote: »
    You don't see any contextual problem with an all white photo in South Africa...?

Nope the same way I don’t see a problem with an all black photo in Ireland.

(He does)

I wasn’t talking about you specifically man, I’m saying if he’d posed with all black staff people would have the same reaction and be protesting it. But it’s ok when the shoe is on the other foot. Sorry for any confusion

My fault. I'm autistic and get the wrong end of the stick sometimes. I understand now what you were saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,970 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Tasfasdf wrote: »
    Would you have any contextual problem with an all black photo in Ireland...?

If Ireland had a legacy of an apartheid system that discriminated against the white population by a black minority I would, yes. Thats not where we are though.

• Advertisement

If Ireland had a legacy of an apartheid system that discriminated against the white population by a black minority I would, yes. Thats not where we are though.

Brits vs Irish Catholics vs Protestants etc. - as if the Irish by virtue of some kind don’t have an ounce of prejudice or bigotry among them

Branson is a very Liberal man. He has done so many good things. I remember at the height of the AIDs epidemic in the 80s he gave space in the Virgin Mega Store in Dublin to the family planning clinic, free of charge, so they could sell condoms. He faced court proceedings for this act and he also paid for the family planning defence in court. He launched Virgin condoms with the profits going to AIDs research. He's heavily involved with African charities and there are plenty of photos online of him, smiling, surrounded by Black children in Africa.

I'm not suggesting that he's a Saint but I don't believe there is a racist bone in his body. When the man realised the optics of the photo he removed it

Tasfasdf wrote: »
    Would you have any contextual problem with an all black photo in Ireland...?

Plenty had an issue with a single black person in a photo in Ireland if you think back to the couple in the Lidl ad.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

So what else is in the news these days?

Plenty had an issue with a single black person in a photo in Ireland if you think back to the couple in the Lidl ad.

Refresher for the folks: Irish wacists found it so hard to compute that this Irish mixed-race family was real that they concocted outlandish conspiracy theories and denigrated them online

https://evoke.ie/2019/09/27/extra/mixed-race-couple-in-lidl-ad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

My fault. I'm autistic and get the wrong end of the stick sometimes. I understand now what you were saying.

Coming over here, taking our welfare... ;)

Yakult wrote: »
    So what else is in the news these days?

Brexit, Trump, UK Elections, Hong Kong Riots, US and Aus wildfires, Climate issues. Probably a few more bits and pieces as well. A cat that looks like a Mazda and the likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Mother of God, talk about much ado about nothing.

Where do all those Chinese people running phone shops in Dublin find all those Chinese people??

The man's English for heaven sake and so maybe they're all English people, or perhaps Americans, or indeed, South Africans. The gall of some people, honestly. They speak the word 'White' these days (in the context of skin colour) with such disdain and sadly many who do so are bloody white themselves would you believe!

A quick glance at the Virgin page discussing this launch shows lots of "people of colour" and so whoever were the first people to whinge about this should have really Google'd it first and informed themselves about that which they were about to begin mouthing about, to make sure that they weren't complaining about something which had zero substance to it and in doing so suggesting someone was a racist who didn't deserve such a thing to be said about them.

Not in today's world though, where SJWs and the like will break their neck to post about about such a pic in the hopes they can garner some of that right-on attention they unquestionably have an insatiable appetite for.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Overheal wrote: »
    Refresher for the folks: Irish wacists found it so hard to compute that this Irish mixed-race family was real that they concocted outlandish conspiracy theories and denigrated them online

https://evoke.ie/2019/09/27/extra/mixed-race-couple-in-lidl-ad

His surname's still not 'Ryan' though...

• Advertisement

His surname's still not 'Ryan' though...

Give it up

Advertisement