Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

GN Toilets

Comments

splinter65 wrote: »
    Are you trying to suggest that this young lady should use the men’s room?

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/state/florida/article236647643.html

It’s hard to take people seriously when that bearded man wants to use female pronouns and press/media outlets go along with the ridiculous charade.

As for gender neutral toilets? The mens jacks in the point depot back in the mid-90’s, during an Oasis gig, was totally gender neutral. The ladies was full of girls and women, the mens had men using the urinals, both genders using the cubicles and a row of sinks being used as squat pit latrines by the women.

Dirty, manky, disgusting behaviour. I worked in a nightclub as a barman and the the ladies was always in a heap, just horrific by the end of the night. The gents had piss on the floor and the toilets needed a brush and bleach, but that was about as bad as it got. The ladies was the most disgusting of sights. Shudder.

So no, leave the mens jacks alone. Some eejits won’t even let us have a piss at a urinal in peace any more. Give it a rest you shower of weirdos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Fann Linn wrote: »
    From years working in pubs and the service industry from my experience women's toilets were always the worst.

I’ve heard this a bit but I’ve had the opposite experience. In restaurants and pubs I worked in, the gents were always messier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

biko wrote: »
    We need toilets exclusively for girls anyway

Girls skipping school because they are 'so afraid of gender neutral toilets'
    https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/girls-skipping-school-because-so-20527035

Yeah, I read that some schools have assigned toilets gender-neutral without doing the necessary upgrade work so that the cubicles are open at the top and bottom instead of separate little rooms like they should be. I read that some girls are holding in their wee all day in those schools. Maybe some people won’t believe that because it’s a tabloid doing the reporting but I do because I would have been that girl. If there were shared loos with open cubicles, little OBD would gave been waiting to get home to use the toilet!

Gynoid wrote: »
    Stop eating into womens spaces to appear politically correct.

I find it fascinating that you consider it 'eating into women's spaces' while the exact same thing could be said about male spaces. Why is the provision of something that can be used by both sexes seen as a loss for women and not for men?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

You’re right. Let’s have 100 toilets in every pub... I mean that the most sensible option.

Dyou know what’s a better option?
    If people stop pretending that they agree that that guy is a girl. A man is not a woman.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

I find it fascinating that you consider it 'eating into women's spaces' while the exact same thing could be said about male spaces. Why is the provision of something that can be used by both sexes seen as a loss for women and not for men?

Because as anyone who is truthful knows it is essentially womens toilets (and other single sex spaces, toilets are just a thin edge of the wedge for prisons , refuges, wards, shower facilities, sports, etc) which are being made available to anyone who identifies as a woman.

A gender neutral toilet is not going to bother anyone of itself, it is the accompanying erasure of female only sex protected spaces that is the problem.

The idea of a third space, the gender neutral space, the third space in sports etc, is completely unacceptable to gender ideologues. They want the world to accept gender self id means people factually become the biologocal sex with which they identify. Nothing less will do. They demand people subvert their reason and instincts.

Toilets in the public space are but a trope for such ideologues. They are an easy area to make people feel dismissive of dissent. Thereafter it is an extension of the line of deconstructionist thought to claim that women who will not accept trans identifying men - however whimsically or deviously some may thus identify - as actual equivalent de facto females in ALL of their private single sex spaces are truscum, terfs, deserving of vile abuse and threat, even a public gloating over their death as many trans allies did after the recent death of lesbian activist Magdalen Berns. Fcuk it, these ideologues go so far as to claim that a lesbian who does not want girl dick in her pussy is a vile bigot. Fcuk them, I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,787 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Trans/intersex people have always been free to use the non gender specific accessible facilities. But they seem to want access to the facilities for biological women. Can you see why we might be suspicious of their motives?

No.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

So long as those extra aren't taken from the stock of women-only facilities, and so long as male-to-female trans people stay out of the latter, we'll all be happy.

Nah. Just don't claim everyone supports your transphobic exclusion.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Why is my right as a biological female to be performing bodily functions in a biologically female only bathroom less to you then a transgender persons right to choose the biologically female only bathroom over the gender neutral bathroom?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Lily Madigan is the name I forgot. Seriously dyspeptic individual

I know her. Utterly narcissistic and disgraceful individual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

reddit seems to suggest there is a difference between unisex and gender neutral though.
    unisex are single occupancy, gender neutral are multi-stall. with that in mind - I would prefer the unisex setup.
    PS: better tell them in work about that - think they got the terminology wrong :D

Why is my right as a biological female to be performing bodily functions in a biologically female only bathroom less to you then a transgender persons right to choose the biologically female only bathroom over the gender neutral bathroom?

There is no such thing as a biologically female only bathroom. Trans women have been using female toilets for decades.

Terry Pratchet

There is no such thing as a biologically female only bathroom. Trans women have been using female toilets for decades.

So now I want biologically female only bathrooms. Why can’t I have that?

Just to assess your levels of transphobic exclusion or otherwise, since you feel you can so freely assess others who are merely trying to retain sex-based rights to privacy among other things, do you think that lesbians who are solely attracted to female genitalia or gay man who are solely attracted to male genitalia are transphobic and/or exclusionary?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

Most garage toilets are unisex or GN - at least in this neck of the woods.

That's to say there is the same disgusting hellhole for everyone however they identify.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Why is my right as a biological female to be performing bodily functions in a biologically female only bathroom

Are you not availing of the lockable cubicles??:confused:

No one sees me perform my bodily functions and I don't see anyone perform theirs. I do, sometimes, smell them but body function smells don't have a gender.

I am biologically female and I don't give a monkey's who is doing what in a different cubicle to the one I am occupying, I'm generally just hopeful I can access the sink to wash my hands without a make-up fixing gaggle of gossips blocking the way.

Purgative wrote: »
    Most garage toilets are unisex or GN - at least in this neck of the woods.

That's to say there is the same disgusting hellhole for everyone however they identify.

Yes, they are. I recently experienced a severe haemorrhage in the public toilet of a mechanics garage - I had to be hospitalised afterwards. The very kind old genetleman who was fixing my car realised what was happening - I was not able to stand up from loss of blood - and offered me the private bathroom in his home while I waited for help to come. So people can be blase and right on when in the whole of their health about the boys and girls swanning round the loos together and having the craic, but the fact is women have real additional needs for privacy that persist in many forms over the course of their lives. Transexuals who quietly use a woman's bathroom do not bother me in the slightest - they have done so since always and are not attention seeking nasty activists. But this is about the demand to wholly open up all women's spaces - including their vaginas - by narcissistic ideologues who try to subvert biological reality all the way right back to claiming that newborns are merely assigned their sex at birth. Fcuk them, I will never support autogynophilic males having free access to women's spaces. Ever..

Just to assess your levels of transphobic exclusion or otherwise, since you feel you can so freely assess others who are merely trying to retain sex-based rights to privacy among other things, do you think that lesbians who are solely attracted to female genitalia or gay man who are solely attracted to male genitalia are transphobic and/or exclusionary?

We're talking about toilets.

Terry Pratchet

We're talking about toilets.

You talked about transphobic exclusion. You broadened the parameters. Where is the line in the sand where your transphobic exclusion starts to show up?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,266 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

First world problems, there are a lot more important things that need attention other than wasting time and money on stuff like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,666 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Nice try - but I feel the same way about all PWP (people with penises), no matter what they identify as.

You talked about transphobic exclusion. You broadened the parameters. Where is the line in the sand where your transphobic exclusion starts to show up?

Nope. Wont be reponding.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Special needs toilets would be suitable for someone suffering from gender dysphoria, and any other physical or psychological ailment. So I'd be in favour of more special needs toilets.

Urinals are handy for men.
    Women should have privacy and not be subject to a 6 and a half foot tall oddball in drag powdering his Adam's apple while they're trying to take a piss.

Nope. Wont be reponding.

I know you won't. ;)

Because as anyone who is truthful knows it is essentially womens toilets (and other single sex spaces, toilets are just a thin edge of the wedge for prisons , refuges, wards, shower facilities, sports, etc) which are being made available to anyone who identifies as a woman.

A gender neutral toilet is not going to bother anyone of itself, it is the accompanying erasure of female only sex protected spaces that is the problem.

I don't buy that, sorry. This entire thread is about the provision of toilets which can be used by anyone. It is not about removing women's bathrooms and replacing them with GN ones. Your previous post made the claim that having GN toilets is impacting on female exclusive places while completely ignoring the fact that it also impacts on male only spaces. I agree with the vast majority of what you say, by the way, just this point that sticks.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

antix80 wrote: »
    Special needs toilets would be suitable for someone suffering from gender dysphoria, and any other physical or psychological ailment. So I'd be in favour of more special needs toilets.

Urinals are handy for men.
    Women should have privacy and not be subject to a 6 and a half foot tall oddball in drag powdering his Adam's apple while they're trying to take a piss.

Women have privacy.
    It's called a cubicle. They can be locked from the inside.

So there is no reason for your imaginary drag queen to be anywhere near anyone 'trying to take a piss'.
    Nor likely as drag queens are generally male so unlikely to be in the women's toilets in the first place. If they were they might be able to give some make-up tips to the gossiping gaggle blocking access to the mirror and the world would be a more attractive place.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

What is happening to this world we live in, where will be next, can people not just get on with their lives[we're not here for long] why is society so caught up in this gender thing, have they nothing else going on in their lives other that genders on their minds all the time.

I don't buy that, sorry. This entire thread is about the provision of toilets which can be used by anyone. It is not about removing women's bathrooms and replacing them with GN ones. Your previous post made the claim that having GN toilets is impacting on female exclusive places while completely ignoring the fact that it also impacts on male only spaces. I agree with the vast majority of what you say, by the way, just this point that sticks.

Fair enough, I accept your point that male spaces will also be eroded.
    Just I reckon the men can fight for those spaces and I will concern myself with my own sex. But I accept your point.
    Also to be honest transmen going in mens loos is not as likely statistically to cause as many issues for men, such as for example the 90% of all changing room assaults on girls taking place in unisex facilities in the UK in 2018.

One take on making toilets self choice and the concrete results - https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2019/10/the-old-vics-gender-neutral-toilets-leave-women-worse-off/

• Advertisement

Interesting. That is twice women are refered to en masse as a gossiping gaggle. This is a double derogatory - they gossip and they are a silly group like a gaggle of geese. If a man was saying this twice in quick succession in a thread I would dismiss him as a misogynist. A woman saying it...well, hmmm, that confuses me. Though I don't enjoy gossip, bar the very funny light stuff, because it makes me feel creeped out, nor have I ever - literally never - fixed my makeup at a mirror in a public toilet - I'm more a swift dash of eyeliner using my own handheld mirror in the cubicle type of gal - yet still I have honestly never thought of any group of my fellow sex in such a way. I find most women quite charming and intriguing, just like other human beings. And I'm not even a lesbian :D.

Advertisement