Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Magheracloone Mine Collapse

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,988 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Magheracloone GAA Club and Community Centre in Carrickmacross, where the sinkhole has appeared. Complex of factors. Makes you want to take core samples where you live?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,751 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Its owner Gyproc Ireland says the recent transport and storage of water in an old part of the mine caused some underground pillars to collapse.
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/gyproc-warns-of-more-subsidence-at-sinkhole-near-magheracloone-gaa-club-871801.html whats meant by this?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

The 'underground pillars' are columns of bedrock that are left in place to support the roof of the mine (if that is your question). The mine is worked around them. Sometimes they need to be reinforced with 'cribbing' - usually timber.
    Sometimes the pillars are mined out in a controlled manner to access the minerals above.

slowburner wrote: »
    The 'underground pillars' are columns of bedrock that are left in place to support the roof of the mine (if that is your question). The mine is worked around them. Sometimes they need to be reinforced with 'cribbing' - usually timber.
    Sometimes the pillars are mined out in a controlled manner to access the minerals above.
    more asking about the water storage...

• Registered Users Posts: 78,234 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Another collapse: https://www.rte.ie/news/ulster/2018/1220/1018418-sinkhole-monaghan/

Re:water - it may be that they use disused mine caverns to hold water pumped from active caverns.

• Advertisement

better description of what occurred in the irish times behind the paywall https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/monaghan-sinkholes-the-mining-is-a-cancer-in-our-parish-1.3754925
    The lack of rain earlier last year saw the river Bursk shrink in volume, and in June, when the gypsum miners had to deal with a temporary excess of sulphate-laden water in one part of the mine (which they would normally do by pumping it into the river – safely and under Environmental Protection Agency licence), they channelled it instead into abandoned mine shafts, some 60m-70m underground.

They had done this before without adverse consequences, though not on this scale. Excess mine water is normally discharged into the river at a rate that does not cause environmental damage, but this can only be done when there is a sufficient volume of river water – an option not available last summer.

Within three months of the mine water being stored in the disused mine, several of the slender, 12m-high underground pillars holding up the disused tunnels collapsed, the mud foundations in which they sat weakened by the liquid.

Independent Review of Investigation into Collapse of Workings at Drumgoosat, Co. Monaghan https://www.dccae.gov.ie/en-ie/natural-resources/topics/Minerals-Exploration-Mining/mining/current-mining/drumgoosat-mine/Pages/default.aspx they were on RTE SOR today, promising to pay for whats needed, but also saying well they only way we can sort this out is to open cast mine the area.

Advertisement