Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Devils Passage, Corcaigh Park

• 20-11-2009 10:56am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 932 ✭✭✭

First thread, guys. So please, go easy on me. I have a big interest in the paranormal, but not very clued in on the subject. Anyways, heres my first and only experience. Maybe someone could explain it.

Yesterday we brought our two dogs for a walk, from Tallaght to Corcaigh Park. Wanted to tire the dogs out, they have been hyperactive of late.:o

We got to the park and I decided to check out the devils passage. I remember messing around there as a young fella and wanted to show the missus the odd looking tree. I didnt tell her the story behind the place, as I didnt want to freak her out. So, as we approached there was a JCB right outside, evidently there is some construction work going on.

We went in, and straight away I felt uneasy. A hard feeling to explain really. Like somebody or something was watching us. There was evidence of a campfire, but no beer cans strewn around, so not kids. Satanists? Anyway, I showed her the odd looking tree stump(Ive pics, if interested) and she said she didnt feel "right" and wanted to leave. The dogs normally pull on the lead and bring me on a walk as they explore, but this time they were staying by my side, sniffing the air. Part of me wanted to venture in, but the feeling of uneasiness turned into dread. I was petrified. So was she. She asked could we leave and we quickly left, not looking back.

After two minutes of leaving the passage, I felt alright again. The feeling of dread passed. She was as white as a ghost, shes normally quite tanned, she lit up a smoke and was shaking with fear. Neither of us could explain what happened, we were scared out of our wits for no apparent reason. We havent really talked about it. I uploaded some of the pictures from my phone, but she didnt want to see them, so I dropped the subject.

Ive heard some of the stories about the place, but these were from my schooldays. Probably urban myths. I feel weird posting this, might be going mad. But she experienced "something" too and she doesnt know the history of the place.

Basically my question to you more experienced guys and gals is, what exactly made me freak out in such a manner? I am normally quite calm and collected. An unusual and surreal experience to say the least. I am tempted to go back this evening by myself. Is this recommended?

*sorry for rambling

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Going back shouldnt be a problem, just make sure there are no 'undesirables' lighting bonfires. :)

Theories on what spooked you:

The place was dank and gloomy, and you both picked up on it.
    You were uneasy, your gf subconciously felt that.
    A mentioned or unmentioned suggestion of 'satanists' at the place spooked you both.
    *The place carries an echo/energy/residue of something unpleasant that you picked up on.
    *The place is on a ley line.

*I get that these theories assume the existence of such things, but thats what this place is for. Theorising and debate on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Can you upload some of the pictures?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭spudz22

Grimes wrote: »

+1

Where is the devils passage in carcaigh park? I live near the park, have heard of it but not quite sure where it is

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 932 ✭✭✭PaulieD

I will of course. Bare with me for a few days while I do so. I will get another snap or two later this evening as well. How do I transfer the images from my laptop on to the site? Do I need to set up a flickr account?:o

Sledz,

The Devils Passage is at the back arse of the park, on the way to the Baseball pitch. Cant miss it, you will see a large stone wall on your left as you come towards it. Theres a JCB digger outside it. You will "know" it as soon as you come to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Bradles!

PaulieD wrote: »
    I didnt tell her the story behind the place, as I didnt want to freak her out.

Sorry, I'm unfamiliar with the place. Just wondering what the stories surrounding the area actually are?

• Advertisement

Bradles! wrote: »
    Sorry, I'm unfamiliar with the place. Just wondering what the stories surrounding the area actually are?

The devils passage itself is a well known place of worship for "satanitists." There is an unusual tree stump, it looks like its actually floating. Its hard to explain to be honest, it willbe easier when I produce my pics.:p

As for the park itself, the usual ghost stories. Supposedly, the headless horseman haunts the area. Also, if I remember correctly, a group of 1798 rebels retreated there and were slain by crown forces. Theres countless other stories, and I will try and post a longer reply later on tonight, but I dare say most of them are schoolboy urban myths.

Using the search function, I found this. Id be interested in speaking with the original poster.
    Parts of Corcaigh Park are haunted, though it can be spiritually dangerous if you're not very prepared. There are a fair few less than friendly entities that reside there too... I have investigated there twice with a friend of mine, who Dublin6th knows about. There's definately something down there. I have two sets of pictures picking up interesting artefacts on the pictures, and most of the pics have a mist over them.

However, unless you're an experienced paranormal investigator, I'd wait a while before going there, as like I said it's not the safest of places spiritually. I was attacked psychically there, and luckily, while my abilities work at random, I have automatic protection...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=311324

Most interesting.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

PaulieD wrote: »
    The devils passage itself is a well known place of worship for "satanitists." There is an unusual tree stump, it looks like its actually floating. Its hard to explain to be honest, it willbe easier when I produce my pics.:p

As for the park itself, the usual ghost stories. Supposedly, the headless horseman haunts the area. Also, if I remember correctly, a group of 1798 rebels retreated there and were slain by crown forces. Theres countless other stories, and I will try and post a longer reply later on tonight, but I dare say most of them are schoolboy urban myths.

Using the search function, I found this. Id be interested in speaking with the original poster.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=311324

Most interesting.
    A four year old post, but stormkeeper is still around.

Oryx wrote: »

Going back shouldnt be a problem, just make sure there are no 'undesirables' lighting bonfires. :)

I am going back now in an hour or so. A morbid curiousity. :)

Theories on what spooked you:

The place was dank and gloomy, and you both picked up on it.

Hmmm, I suppose this could be true. But, our mood went from laughing and joking, to complete fear, and back again to laughing and joking, all in the space of 5-10 minutes.
    You were uneasy, your gf subconciously felt that.

I think she was more petrified than myself.

A mentioned or unmentioned suggestion of 'satanists' at the place spooked you both.

Again, I had visited the area as a young 'un and was aware that "satanists" frequented the area. If there were indeed "satanists" in the passage, I dont think I would have been as scared if they approached me, as I was yesterday afternoon. I have been in uneasy situations before. This was a whole new level fear. I never experienced anything like it in my all myt life. This was bordering on sheer terror, and I recovered within 120 seconds of leaving the area.

*The place carries an echo/energy/residue of something unpleasant that you picked up on.

This is what I think happened.

*The place is on a ley line.

Whats a ley line? Pardon my ignorance.:o

*I get that these theories assume the existence of such things, but thats what this place is for. Theorising and debate on them.

I guess I am in the right place so. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭karynp

oh i know the park well,as a 17 to 23 yr old i spent most weekends up there with a gang of mates,some nights we were spooked others not. i remember once we had a fire going and all else was black as black around us bar the fire,outv nowhere objects were hitting us from the end of the passage where there are no entry points only trees,this is at least 15 or more yrs ago, i remember going back up there when i was pregnant on my 1st child,over 9 yrs ago,lolagain,to show my partner where we used to hang out and to relive the memories.one night up there i was sitting on one of the walls at the stream and fell right in backwards,for no apparant reason.
    yeh,the place is spooky alright but it carries a lot of history,i actually find the part in the middle where the house is the freakiest,dunno why,just an uneasy feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Ive never been there, describe it to me and ill tell you what it actually is/was

• Advertisement

Ive never been there, describe it to me and ill tell you what it actually is/was

Its a fear and a feeling of being watched. Its difficult to explain as I never experienced it before. I went back this evening but bottled it in the end. When I post the photos, it will give you a feel for the place.

karynp wrote: »
    i remember going back up there when i was pregnant on my 1st child,over 9 yrs ago,lolagain,to show my partner where we used to hang out and to relive the memories.one night up there i was sitting on one of the walls at the stream and fell right in backwards,for no apparant reason.

Sweet Jesus.:eek:

Did you feel something push you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

That's funny, I was just thinking about my experiences there just before I stumbled upon your post quoting me. I went investigating a few years back and the place still gives me the creeps when I think about it. I have the photos knocking about somewhere, but I haven't uploaded them anywhere as of yet. Interesting thing about the pictures I took, as well as them being with a conventional, I think disposable camera is that some of the pictures didn't come out at all!

I should go locate them to have a look at them again and upload them...

Edit: It's also just occurred to me that when I was there, I remember hearing something that sounded like a horse carrying a carriage, keeping in mind this was the middle of a misty/foggy Winter night - morning actually, about 4am - with no one else but my friend and I nearby. The place does unnerve me quite a bit, to be honest. I've been there twice in total. My friend has since moved away from Dublin, so we haven't been there recently.

That's funny, I was just thinking about my experiences there just before I stumbled upon your post quoting me. I went investigating a few years back and the place still gives me the creeps when I think about it. I have the photos knocking about somewhere, but I haven't uploaded them anywhere as of yet. Interesting thing about the pictures I took, as well as them being with a conventional, I think disposable camera is that some of the pictures didn't come out at all!

I should go locate them to have a look at them again and upload them...

Please do, Stormkeeper, Id be much obliged. I will post up my photos in due course.

May I ask what exactly what you experienced? Was it in the Devils Passage?

It's been a while now, so I can't remember details specifically... I don't think it was in the Devil's Passage itself, but it might have been nearby. I do specifically remember that oddly-shaped tree that you mentioned, and recall being told that there was some sort of curse on it. I don't fancy testing out if there is a curse or not, but suffice to say, given your gf said that it didn't "feel right", makes me think there's something about the tree which to me says that it should be left alone.

I went there on 2 separate occasions and had something different happen on each. The first time was when I heard what sounded like a horse and carriage, which I mentioned above. One unusual thing I noticed was that some of the pictures had mist around them and others didn't... perhaps it was my breath in some of them, but there were some rather unusual artifacts in some of them that I can't explain at the moment, though I haven't hade them looked at, so that may be the next step.

Because it was a conventional camera, I didn't get a chance to look at them until after I got the film back. Like I said before, some of the pictures didn'tcome out at all, and I specifically asked the photo developers to not attempt to fix the photos so I could see what they originally looked like. I'll need to scan the photos in so I can upload them, which'll take me a few days to sort out. I do recall my friend getting taken over temporarily by a little girl then as well. These sorts of things generally unnerve me a bit, but I remember seeing his facial expression change into one of fear, and he said something very quietly, something like "help". I barely heard him

The second time is a bit fuzzy, for some reason, though I recall there being a third person there along with myself and my friend. My friend again got taken over, albeit by someone different and I remember him writing something down. I should actually talk to him about it again at some point as I'm a little fuzzy on the details. Lastly, I remember hearing something within the area of that tree... actually, that's the house, isn't it? Anyway, it sounded like something was calling my friend's name which creeped me out a bit. I certainly think that there's something going on there, although I'm not sure of what. I really need to learn how to channel my abilities so I am more sentitive to these sorts of places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Darky Finn

Fascinating stuff. I've been to corkagh park many times and have always been intrigued by the place and all the abandoned buildings dotted around the park. Never knew about this 'devils passage' although from reading this thread i think i know the spot in the park you guys are on about - past the fishing ponds through the gap in the hedges, along the path with a very high wall to your left and theres an opening about halfway up on the left with the remains of some kind of building (old walls, fireplaces if i remember) is this the right place?

Does anyone know why its called the devils passage or where the name comes from? I'm inclined to think its a name made up by local kids thats just stuck, but i could be wrong. What makes me think this is, when i was a kid we used to hang around in kingswood / ballymount castles, especially in an old building known locally as 'the witches cave' everyone called it that, and insisted it was haunted by the devil. I have found out since its just an old storehouse or shed that was part of an old manor house that that place is, not a 'castle' as its called - the luas now passes by about 2 feet of this building, if anyone knows what im talking about.

Anyway im rambling a bit now sorry for going off topic, would love to hear more about this devils passage place and anyones experiences there

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

Would love to hear more about it too and would love to see the pictures, i live about 5 minutes for the park and know where the baseball area is and the high stone wall about 20feet if i remember. I must take a ramble up with the dogs and get some daylight pictures for you all. I will wait for a fine day and go over.

Last Poster i remember the witches cave too, there was quite alot of old buildings and castles around the area you mention to. I'm from Kilnamanagh orignally and we have St Kevins Well there, which use to freak me out as a kid. Some old guy that lived nearby use to tell us storys and i wouldn't sleep a wink at night over them.

Come on OP can't wait for them fotos have followed this thread with interest since you created it, if you need a hand uploading them give us a shout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭karynp

I duno bout it been haunted,serious.there are all sorts of tales but its been a haven for both teenage drinkers and "devil" worshippers too.
    It will hold a certain negative energy in the areas where negativiity is displayed,wont it?
    it used to belong to 2 ladies,way back,who sold it off bit by bit.the history of it is on posts on the way in.
    at night its spookier than the day cos ya cant see a thing,i remember us running into a load of cows in there one night,in the devils passa
    ge.
    one of my friends went blind in one eye up there too,we were all looking for firewood and he ran into a branch,taking his eye and sight too.
    i have been freaked out there a few times alright,even in a gang, but for what reason i just dont know.things always seem scary at night.but yes,it is an eery place for sure.

Come on OP can't wait for them fotos have followed this thread with interest since you created it, if you need a hand uploading them give us a shout.

Hi Pokerface_me,

I made a boll*cks of the photos, I am a technophobe. I am heading back down on Friday afternoon/evening and promise to post up some photos by the end of the weekend.

Sorry for keeping you in suspense.:)

I'll post my photos up within the next week or so, still haven't scanned them in, and I have a few things I need to sort out first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Wow this place sounds rather spooky I am going to have to get onto my friend who lives in Kilnamangh too is this park close by there or whereabouts is it. Sorry a cork head myself...I have goen up trecking to Fire Club but didnt get any vibes from the place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 john_d_baptist

give us a shout in the new year when you have the photos up...:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Darky Finn

Wow this place sounds rather spooky I am going to have to get onto my friend who lives in Kilnamangh too is this park close by there or whereabouts is it. Sorry a cork head myself...I have goen up trecking to Fire Club but didnt get any vibes from the place

Its close enough to your mate in kilnamanagh yeah, its in clondalkin. The park itself used to be part of an estate, corckagh house i think it was called. The main house itself was demolished but there are lots of outbuildings still left around the park. The main entrance to the estate would have been close to where the caravan park is on the naas road now, think theres a car park and a bottle bank there now, and from this point theres a path leading into the park with large oak trees lining each side of the path this was the original driveway up to the house. There was a mill on the estate and also a gunpowder factory, I read somewhere that back in the 1800's there was a big accident in the gunpowder factory and some labourers were killed in the explosions, some of the buildings that would have made up the mills & factory are still there in the park, maybe the ruins around the part they call the devils passage could have been where the people were killed, hence the weird vibes and stuff going on there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 SpicerXD

I'm not a professional and I'm only a little teen but today was my first day in the devils passage as I've always been freaked out by the rumours my friend told me one night. He told me that his mam knew about the place but didn't know where it was and banned him for ever going there, over it being dangerous and could give you suicide thoughts but anyway enough about that..
    Today was my first day in there and I can sense spirits around me and theres like a knocked down wall and if you sit on a certain spot you're meant to feel someone touch you but when I sat down after my friends I heard someone whisper to me to stop, to leave them alone because my friends were runnin around screamin and takin pictures. the whole time I was there I could feel the same spirit runnin around the place in sadness.
    (I know I sound mad)
    But then I also saw this plack about a boy who hung himself there and that's where my friends took the pictures most and in the pictures you could see mists of white that shouldnt have been there.
    I forgot to mention when I walked into the place I felt kinda of a happy feeling until I got under the trees. I started to get dizzy and that's when I realised the spirit was running around because when I see a person run around me it kind of makes me feel sick and I got the exact feeling.
    But yeah my experience was quite wierd, when we left the devils passage then, things seem to get even better as I've been havin a bad time lately with friends and stress. It was kinda of like I've been lifted of stress but I'll keep you's posted if my week gets any better because I got a dark feeling but I feel like it was something I needed because now I feel more happier about everything...
    There's a forest down in Courtown that is alot like the Devils Passage, it's alot bigger though and much more quieter but anyway there is somethin' up there in the Devils Passage and it seems upset :confused:

If my friends keep the photos I promise I'll try my best to upload them and I'll also try mark out where there are shapes... I found this weird kind of bush in one of the pictures and it sort of looks like a fat penguin(lol) or a very angry looking mermaid going to grab someone(random I know but it was something me and my friends kinda joked about to knock the fear outta it all)
    Well bye! :) x.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

It's a very creepy place for sure,a big group of us used to come up here at nite when we were younger and freak ourselves out,we used to find dead rabbits and sometimes dead squirells nailed to the tree's in here too,the local myth was that they were sacrificed by the devil worshippers!

There's a homeless lad that sleeps in the hollow of the wall in the passage itself,my uncle works in the park and says when he's on night watchman duty he doesnt even drive by the entrance to the passage cos the place scares the crap outta him.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭raveni

Would love if someone finally posted photos of the place??

Please?:o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

I'm a regular visitor to the park, but never heard of the passage, Ive been all over the park, at the baseball area too but Ive never seen the passage. Going to have a look in the near future...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Grupouva

Wow this place sounds rather spooky I am going to have to get onto my friend who lives in Kilnamangh too is this park close by there or whereabouts is it. Sorry a cork head myself...I have goen up trecking to Fire Club but didnt get any vibes from the place Its close enough to your mate in kilnamanagh yeah, its in clondalkin. The park itself used to be part of an estate, corckagh house i think it was called. The main house itself was demolished but there are lots of outbuildings still left around the park. The main entrance to the estate would have been close to where the caravan park is on the naas road now, think theres a car park and a bottle bank there now, and from this point theres a path leading into the park with large oak trees lining each side of the path this was the original driveway up to the house. There was a mill on the estate and also a gunpowder factory, I read somewhere that back in the 1800's there was a big accident in the gunpowder factory and some labourers were killed in the explosions, some of the buildings that would have made up the mills & factory are still there in the park, maybe the ruins around the part they call the devils passage could have been where the people were killed, hence the weird vibes and stuff going on there

I think this is it http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,705258,730248,7 the area to the left of the baseball diamond. If you change to the 6inch map (1845 survey) it looks like its just some sort of garden, and on the 25inch map (1905) theres a few small buildings probably just sheds or something. I would love to know more about this place and where the whole 'devils passage' stories and name came from

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Chaos

Sounds interesting, where abouts is it on this link?

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=53.312891,-6.418247&spn=0.008858,0.01929&t=h&z=16

I can see the baseballs section is that the passage just to the left of it? I've never been there but is there a car park of some sort?

Advertisement