Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Vegan and Vegetarian Recipes and Links

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭roweeeeena

http://rowenarecipes.wordpress.com/

I write up the food I make in this blog when I have time, trying to be more regular!! Does anyone else have veg food blogs or know any good ones?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Travelcard

Here is a good vegan one that has lots of goodies - not just lettuce and seeds :D

http://maplespice2.blogspot.com/

sample pic:

quadruple+layer+chocolate+cake.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Travelcard wrote: »
    Here is a good vegan one that has lots of goodies - not just lettuce and seeds :D

http://maplespice2.blogspot.com/

I just had a gander. Delicious recipes. I'm inspired!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Ooooh scary new foods. :p

Cake loooks nice!

• Advertisement

a list of vegetarian recipes which are low in fat http://www.fatfree.com/recipes/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

Idea for a stickie thread. - Post your favourite easy recipe that has gone down well with meat lovers - makes for better dinner parties.

As a carnivore (please don't hate me) married to a vegan, I can say that some vegan dishes can be awesome and now I have 2 days a week meat free.

Rules are - should take no longer than 20 min to prepare and 30 min to cook. All ingredients should be readily available.

My contribution - a version of the potatoe rosti from todays "something for the weekend"

Roasted Pepper Rosti

4 Large potatoes
    2 large onions
    2 red & yellow peppers
    a few sundried tomatoes
    1 salsa chilli
    salt & pepper

Boil the potatoes in skins for 7 minutes, then allow cool & peel the skins.
    Grate the potato into a bowl

Cut the peppers into 2" pieces and roast in oven for 15min

Cut the onion into fine strips and add to potato
    Cut the chilli finely & add to potato
    Add salt & pepper to taste

Heat a non stick pan with some light olive oil.
    Put about half the mixture into the hot pan and firm down. Allow to cook on medium heat for about 6 minutes.

Place the roast peppers & sundried tomaotes (and any other item you wish) on top of the mixture in the pan and then cover with remaining rosti mixture and firm down.

Flip the rosti over (easiest way is to slide onto a plate and then place the pan upside down over the plate and holding plate & pan together, twist the pan back to normal position.)

Cook for a further 6 - 7 minutes until golden and then place in oven for crisping up for approx 5 minutes. - Either on the pan if its oven proof or slide it onto a baking tray.

Serve with minted peas and a tomato relish.

Total time should be approx 40min

Uttery gorgeous and dreadfully easy.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Thanks for the contribution, look forward to reading about or eating any!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Nunubird

Hi,
    I'm going to try to make my first nut roast for Christmas dinner but am overwhelmed with all the recipes out there.
    Could anyone suggest a vegan recipe that they've tried? Ta!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭DonnieScribbles

Nunubird wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm going to try to make my first nut roast for Christmas dinner but am overwhelmed with all the recipes out there.
    Could anyone suggest a vegan recipe that they've tried? Ta!

After reading a load of recipes I just made my own up last night, though it was more of a vegetable and nut roast than a nut roast! I just fried up a lot of stuff in a pan; garlic, diced sweet potato, grated cabbage and carrot. Threw in some thyme, cumin, salt, pepper and chilli flakes, added some chopped walnuts, peas and chickpeas, stirred in some breadcrumbs and cooked quinoa then pressed it all into a loaf tin. I topped it with mashed potato and baked it for about half an hour.... and it was really nice :)

And I added a little stock here and there to prevent it getting overly dry, about 100ml in total I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Vegan Wannabe

Try the Cherry Vegan website - www.parsleysoup.co.uk
    It's a uk site - best of all ,her recipies look very do-able.

ool, will have a look. Welcome to the site :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Vegan Wannabe

Cheers- nice to find an Irish based site like this.

We'll try and help with any queries you have!

Odd to see a 2010 join date, oooh shiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Aisling&M

Vegan Pesto

I really just guessed this but oh my goodness, it is SO good. I was worried that without the usual parmesan it would be bland but I don't even notice the difference!

Here are appoximate measurements:

- 40g fresh basil
    - 250g pine nuts
    - 5 cloves garlic
    - 1 cup olive oil
    - 1/2 teaspoon salt
    - 1/2 teaspoon pepper

• I don't have a food processor but just a hand wizard which worked wonderfully.
    • I gave the pine nuts a pulse or two and then the basil along with some of the olive oil to help the hand wizard not get clogged.
    • I cut the cloves of garlic in half and added them in with the salt and pepper and oil.
    • I adjusted with a little salt/pepper to my taste.
    • That's
    it, super easy!

Super Spicy Curried Couscous

Super nutritious, quick, tasty and satisfying.

This makes about 8-10 big portions.

- 500g couscous dried couscous
    - 500g tofu block
    - Olive oil for cooking
    - Agave syrup
    - 2 vegan sausages (I used Redwood lincolnshire style herb sausages)
    - 8 mushrooms
    - 2 carrots
    - 2 sticks of celery
    - 8 scallions
    - 1 red chilli pepper
    - 1 teaspoon curry powder
    - 1/2 teaspoon cumin
    - 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
    - salt and pepper to taste

• Place 1 bag (500g) of couscous into a pan or any heatproof bowl with 650 ml boiling water with one dissolved organic vegan stock cube. Mix once and cover. After 5-10 minutes separate grains with fork.
    • In a frying pan saute tofu (cut into smal cubes) in a little oil and agave until golden.
    • Add chopped mushrooms, carrots, celery, chilli pepper, sausages and scallions and saute gently on a medium heat for about 10 minutes until carrots and celery are still crunchy but softer (or to your own taste).
    • Add a little oil if they start to stick to the bottom of the pan.
    • With a little oil and a teensy bit of agave to help the herbs spread, sprinkle over the herbs and spices and salt and pepper.
    • Leave on a low heat for about 4/5 minutes.
    • Mix
    the couscous and veg together and eat with a happy heart!

Lemony Minty Rice Dish

A really nice side dish or if you're like me one of many odd dishes people can pick and choose from.

Ingredients:

- 300g basmati rice (white is bes for this dish)

- 10 mushrooms

- 8 shallots

- 1 green pepper

- 2 lemons

- 10 mint leaves

- Olive oil

- 3 cloves garlic

- 4 table spoons soya milk

- 1/2 tube garlic paste

- Salt and peper to taste

• Cook rice first.
    • Saute chopped mushrooms, then onions and then garlic in some olive oil.
    • Add in chopped green pepper and cook all for about 5 minutes.
    • Add the juice of 2 lemons (if big one will be enough)
    • Chop and add the mint leaves and stir continuously for 3 minutes.
    • Add the soya milk and garlic paste and stir for 2 minutes.
    • Add rice to the vegetable mixture and it's done.

Groovy Black-Eyed Pea Salad

I got a basic greek salad recipe for black-eyed peas but changed it a bit.

- 1 bad dry black-eyed peas (soaked over night and then cooked for about an hour until soft but holding their shape.
    - 1 red pepper
    - 1 yellow pepper
    - 7 scallions
    - 1 red onion
    - 1 block tofu
    - 1 dessert spoon cumin
    - 1 dessert spoon dill
    - 2 bay leaves
    - 6 garlic cloves
    - 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
    - 1/2 cup olive oil & a bit for frying
    - Juice of 1 or 2 lemons
    - 3 dessert spoons agave syrup

Cut the red onion in half and submerge in water.
    While the peas are boiling, saute some tofu in a dash of olive oil and the agave syrup (gives a sweet crispy coating to the tofu). When golden add in the chopped red and yellow peppers.
    Pop in the cumin and garlic (chopped finely)
    Add the above to the drained peas along with the now chopped red onion and sliced scallions.
    Add in the white wine vinegar, oil, lemon juice, crushed bay leaves, dill, salt and pepper

That should be it, I think I've remembered everything.

Groovy Chickpea Stew

- 1 bag chickpeas (soaked overnight and boiled for about 3 hours) also any other beans you have left over will blend nicely in this
    - 3 cans of chopped tomatoes
    - 8 mushrooms
    - 6 cloves garlic
    - 6/7 tomatoes
    - 1 large onion
    - 8 shallots
    - 1 green pepper
    - 2 carrots
    - 3 celery stalks (large)
    - 1 red chilli
    - 1 green chilli
    - 1/2 tube garlic paste
    - 1/2 tube tomato paste - double concentrate
    - 1/4 cup olive oil
    - a couple of dashes of white wine vinegar
    - 3 dessert spoons corriander

• While the chickpeas are boiling chop the onion, shallots, mushrooms and garlic and saute in a little oil.
    • Let them cook gently until the soften and the juices start to flow out.
    • Add the green pepper, chilli, then celery carrots and saute until they start to soften, they'll properly in the sauce later.
    • Add a few splashes of vinegar.
    • Chop and add the tomatoes, then the garlic and tomato paste, stirring for about 5 minutes.
    • When all the veg look ready add in the three cans of chopped tomatoes and then the corriander, salt and pepper.
    • Let this simmer for about 2-3 hours.
    • When ready (judge by taste and appearance) add in the drained chickpeas and
    • cook for a further
    30 minutes.

And ta-da!
    I put two chillis in and my hands stung after de-seeding them but really I could have put another one in as there wasn't a huge kick to it. It can be eaten hot or cold.

Groovy Cucumber Relish

My Aunt made this last summer and I decided to try my own version. It is super easy and tasty.

- 2 cucumbers peeled and then sliced super finely (I use the peeler)
    - 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
    - 4 dessert spoons Agave syrup
    - Juice of half a lemon

• Slice up the cucumbers (they should look slushy).
    • Add the rest of the ingredients and leave in a sealed jar after a good shake in the fridge overnight. The sharpness softens overnight as the sweetness of the
    Agave works it's magic.

It goes with everything but I'm a sucker for anything sharp and vinegary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Shekamu

can't sleep so sharing this persian noodle and bean soup recipe through mobile web.

ill write ingredients with the method.

1. brown 3 chopped large white onions and 5 chopped garlic cloves in olive oil in a deep stock pot.
    2. add 1 tsp turmeric, 1 tsp ground Black pepper and 2 tsp salt.
    3. add 400g [2 cans] batchelors red kidney beans and 400g [1 can] batchelors chickpeas.
    4. add 7 mugs of water.
    5. add 1/4 mug red or green lentils and bring to the boil then simmer on low heat covered for 50 mins.
    6. add 200g linguine pasta broken into 2-3 pieces and 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour.
    7. after 10 mins, add all the following and continue simmering for another 30 mins; 2 cups chopped parsley, 1 cup Chopped scallions, 1 cup chopped fresh dill, 400g or 2 packs chopped fresh spinach.
    8. add more salt and pepper to taste and 1 cup sour cream [200 or 250 ml].
    9. squeeze juice of one lemon in or half lemon directly into ur bowl before eating. note that it should be more chunky than watery, so let excess water evaporate By turning on heat if needed.

recipe serves 6-8 people or 2 people for 3 days.

total cooking time 1.30 hrs

original name aash-e reshteh

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Thoushaltnot

As promised (from "Sources of Iron" thread, 'cos it uses molasses)

I've seen pretty much this recipe in a few places, including RecipeZaar
    http://www.recipezaar.com/t-v-p-sausage-crumbles-vegetarianvegangluten-free-412473

Ingredients

* 1/2 cup boiling water
    * 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke (optional)
    * 3 tablespoons Braggs liquid aminos or soy sauce (gluten-free if needed for gf diet)
    * 1 teaspoon maple syrup
    * 1/4 teaspoon blackstrap molasses
    * 1/2 cup textured vegetable protein (gluten-free if needed for diet)
    * 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
    * 1 teaspoon garlic powder
    * 1/2 teaspoon crushed sage
    * 1/2 teaspoon ground fennel
    * 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    * 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
    * oil (for frying)

Directions

1. Stir boiling water with liquid smoke (if using), soy sauce, maple syrup, and molasses.
    2. Meanwhile, mix TVP with dry seasonings; stir to incorporate. Combine wet and dry mixtures. Then allow the TVP to absorb the moisture for about 5 minutes while you heat the oil.
    3. Fry mixture in oil in an uncovered frying pan on medium heat, about 5 minutes (or until browned), stirring occasionally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭dynastygal

A few recipes here...not many mind:

http://purelyvegan.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=rec

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Molberts

this rocks - http://whfoods.org/

lots of recipes and a nifty quiz that assesses your diet and tells you what nutrients are missing and what foods to find them in.

I'm a crappy eater so had no idea certain things easily added to food could make such a difference - top of my list on the quiz were rocket, spinach, mustard seeds and parsley.

ps. george is freaky!

• Advertisement

Interesting blog of vegan recipes.

http://foodgawker.com/post/category/vegan/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

Hi :)

I was watching Come Dine With Me yesterday and the episode was about a vegan.
    Thought I'd post up her recipes, as someone might be interested!
    The episode is from season 3, so I'm looking for a link now. If I find it, I'll post it here!

Menu was:

Baked avocado on a bed of asparagus with vegan bacon

Mashed aubergine and spinach curry with quinoa and chapatti bread

Vegan chocolate mousse

Oh! My friend told me about this when it was on initially. I was impressed :) Thanks for posting the link to the recipes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭wicklowstar

Hi :)

I was watching Come Dine With Me yesterday and the episode was about a vegan.
    Thought I'd post up her recipes, as someone might be interested!
    The episode is from season 3, so I'm looking for a link now. If I find it, I'll post it here!

Menu was:

Baked avocado on a bed of asparagus with vegan bacon

Mashed aubergine and spinach curry with quinoa and chapatti bread

Vegan chocolate mousse

I seen that yesterday.
    The main looked nice but the starter looked a bit miserable.
    Asparagus.. uggghhh!

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭DonnieScribbles

This site is great: http://jeenaskitchen.blogspot.com/

So many good recipes. It's not exclusively vegetarian, but she has all the veggie and vegan stuff indexed in the side menu.
    She has pictures of all the steps and everything! Pictures are great.
    Don't read it if you're hungry though, or far from your kitchen. First time I visited it I had to cycle home right away.

Pictures look amazing mm!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

Here's a link to a page on Facebook called Recipedia. It has a large collection of Indian recipies there, so go nuts:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Washout

www.showmethecurry.com

has a great vegetarian section.

also has recipies for eggless cake, cant rememebr if they are vegan or not

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 veggieali

the bbc website has loads of recipes from all its shows and in the search u can specify whether its vegan, veggie, gluten free, egg free, watever free! ive been makin my dinners off of it for the last little while :D

Advertisement