Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

** ALL ** Passport Queries take.two. **! Mod-note in post#1288

• 03-09-2018 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭

Mod-Note: I have just created this, our new Take.Two Passport thread. As stated in post#1288 it is for ease and convenience of our mobile users. Our original thread can be found here.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

:mad: Additional photo ID - quietly going mad ...

Passport office (in London) not answering the phone, e-mail enquiry limited to 250 characters (WTF???) so hoping you good people can help.

DaughterNo.2 has just turned 18. Was previously named on my passport (and her mothers') until those were renewed several years ago, and due to a family break-up was issued with a UK passport in the meantime. She uses this for travel all the time, so can't be without it for a month or two while her application is processed.

Unfortunately, she has no other photo ID, other than a rail card that she also uses all the time and has a "social media" type photo on it, and a few DIY-style crappy laminated badges from previous volunteer work. She doesn't drive, none of her leisure activities require photo id cards, and she's on a gap year so has no student ID.

She can't be the only child-turned-adult with no other photo ID; how have others got around this problem?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Passport office (in London) not answering the phone, e-mail enquiry limited to 250 characters (WTF???) so hoping you good people can help.

DaughterNo.2 has just turned 18. Was previously named on my passport (and her mothers') until those were renewed several years ago, and due to a family break-up was issued with a UK passport in the meantime. She uses this for travel all the time, so can't be without it for a month or two while her application is processed.

Unfortunately, she has no other photo ID, other than a rail card that she also uses all the time and has a "social media" type photo on it, and a few DIY-style crappy laminated badges from previous volunteer work. She doesn't drive, none of her leisure activities require photo id cards, and she's on a gap year so has no student ID.

She can't be the only child-turned-adult with no other photo ID; how have others got around this problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

CelticRambler, whats the problem ?
    Do you mean shes applying for an irish passport and is submitting her UK passport as part of that ?
    As far as I know the submitted passport is returned ASAP so she wouldnt be without it for long anyhow.

Are you sure she needs to actually submit the UK passport anyhow when applying for an irish passport?
    If the parent was born in Ireland then it doesn't seem to be necessary for a child if born abroad and definitely wouldnt be necessary if they are born in Ireland .
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/passports/applying_for_or_renewing_an_irish_passport.html

Do you mean shes applying for an irish passport and is submitting her UK passport as part of that ?
    As far as I know the submitted passport is returned ASAP so she wouldnt be without it for long anyhow.

Are you sure she needs to actually submit the UK passport anyhow when applying for an irish passport?
    If the parent was born in Ireland then it doesn't seem to be necessary for a child if born abroad and definitely wouldnt be necessary if they are born in Ireland .
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/passports/applying_for_or_renewing_an_irish_passport.html

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

@CelticRambler you need to make an appointment for the London passport office so that they can take a photocopy of her UK passport and hand the original back to you

Edit: or she needs to make the appointment, as the case may be

@CelticRambler you need to make an appointment for the London passport office so that they can take a photocopy of her UK passport and hand the original back to you

• Advertisement

I’m pretty sure she’s be treated as a first time adult applicant, given that she’s only ever been listed on a parents passport, and never had a full Irish passport in her own name. Therefore she’d need to provide official ID to establish her identity

I’m pretty sure she’s be treated as a first time adult applicant, given that she’s only ever been listed on a parents passport, and never had a full Irish passport in her own name. Therefore she’d need to provide official ID to establish her identity

fxotoole wrote: »
    sorry, but the proof of identity is normally done by the signature of the forms and photos by a witness (who in my experience are ALWAYS contacted to verify they know you and did sign the forms) which is stated in the list of documents required.
    You only need to submit your foreign passport if you are born abroad to irish citizen parents themselves not born in Ireland (i.e. you are on the foreign births register).

sorry, but the proof of identity is normally done by the signature of the forms and photos by a witness (who in my experience are ALWAYS contacted to verify they know you and did sign the forms) which is stated in the list of documents required.
    You only need to submit your foreign passport if you are born abroad to irish citizen parents themselves not born in Ireland (i.e. you are on the foreign births register).

That is her situation (born in the UK, was on my passport from when she was born until it expired).

The FAQs are clear enough on the subject; it's just that the process doesn't seem to cater for people for whom their passport is their only form of photo ID.

That's why I've been trying (but failing) to make contact with the London passport office :( - can't make an appointment if they never answer. I'm meeting her in London next week so was hoping we could call in then to sort it out.

• Advertisement

That is her situation (born in the UK, was on my passport from when she was born until it expired).

The FAQs are clear enough on the subject; it's just that the process doesn't seem to cater for people for whom their passport is their only form of photo ID.

That's why I've been trying (but failing) to make contact with the London passport office :( - can't make an appointment if they never answer. I'm meeting her in London next week so was hoping we could call in then to sort it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Your Irish passport must have expired a very long time ago because it must be 15 years since it was possible to “put a child on a passport” here.

Your Irish passport must have expired a very long time ago because it must be 15 years since it was possible to “put a child on a passport” here.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭missrandomer

hi all,

im sure you see this question all the time but im hoping you can help, were going away on 25th Sept, I realised my daughters passport is out of date so I sent in the application by passport express yesterday, however it takes 15 working days, which I thought I had loads of time.... but it isn't due until the 25th.

Does anyone have any feedback on the passport express turn around times at the moment?
    and is there anything else I can do to speed this up? I don't think I can make an appointment but I don't know if I can pick up the passport from them, even though it would be sooner than the date they advised it would be ready (excluding postal times)

im devastated that I let this happen, im normally so organised.

any help would be great guys thanks

hi all,

im sure you see this question all the time but im hoping you can help, were going away on 25th Sept, I realised my daughters passport is out of date so I sent in the application by passport express yesterday, however it takes 15 working days, which I thought I had loads of time.... but it isn't due until the 25th.

Does anyone have any feedback on the passport express turn around times at the moment?
    and is there anything else I can do to speed this up? I don't think I can make an appointment but I don't know if I can pick up the passport from them, even though it would be sooner than the date they advised it would be ready (excluding postal times)

• Advertisement

hi all,

Advertisement