Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Forum Closed  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
24-04-2017, 20:24   #1
Depp
Registered User
 
Depp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,796
Antifa, harmless larpers or dangerous?

Large groups of masked uniformed thugs roaming the streets silencing those who would disagree politically. Did I just describe 1930s Germany or the US in 2017?

How do people feel about antifa? Is the idea that its acceptable to punch someone because you disagree with them a danger to democracy or is it just some disaffected college kids looking for something to do? Is ok to behave in a fascist manner if you brand yourself as an ''antifascist''?
Depp is offline  
Advertisement
24-04-2017, 20:39   #2
greencap
Registered User
 
greencap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 1,385
They go out looking for fights.

Last edited by greencap; 24-04-2017 at 20:39. Reason: That is all.
greencap is offline  
24-04-2017, 20:44   #3
20Cent
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 7,454
Loaded question there.
Where is the legends option?
20Cent is offline  
(2) thanks from:
24-04-2017, 21:07   #4
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 938
Nieve fools who haven't really grown up. Most are either still living at their parents expense or working at universities.
red ears is offline  
(4) thanks from:
24-04-2017, 21:31   #5
Depp
Registered User
 
Depp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20Cent View Post
Loaded question there.
Where is the legends option?
If you think fascists are legends work away!
Depp is offline  
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
24-04-2017, 21:33   #6
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 14,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Depp View Post
Large groups of masked uniformed thugs roaming the streets silencing those who would disagree politically. Did I just describe 1930s Germany or the US in 2017?

How do people feel about antifa? Is the idea that its acceptable to punch someone because you disagree with them a danger to democracy or is it just some disaffected college kids looking for something to do? Is ok to behave in a fascist manner if you brand yourself as an ''antifascist''?
If the US is half as politically charged as it appears on the internet (seemingly from american housemates it is) it's one fcuked up country
tomwaterford is offline  
Thanks from:
24-04-2017, 23:23   #7
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 590
This antifa scum should be put down.
hungry hypno toad is offline  
(2) thanks from:
25-04-2017, 09:12   #8
VinLieger
Registered User
 
VinLieger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 11,763
Fighting fascism with fascism is all hilariously ironic.

The best part is the complete logical disconnects they are capable of making when trying to defend their actions
VinLieger is offline  
25-04-2017, 09:23   #9
Maguined
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 6,900
The only thing Antifa will achieve is pushing moderates in the middle towards the right, they will create more of their own "alt-right" enemies through their own facist actions.
Maguined is offline  
Advertisement
25-04-2017, 09:48   #10
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 7,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maguined View Post
The only thing Antifa will achieve is pushing moderates in the middle towards the right, they will create more of their own "alt-right" enemies through their own facist actions.
I'm pretty sure they work off a different perception of the political spectrum anyway. We see them as far left but they see themselves as closer to center and everyone else is right wing. Similar to the way Trump supporters see themselves as slightly right of center and anyone who doesn't agree with them as leftists or liberals. It's how they justify their positions in their own heads. The Antifa groups consider themselves to be fighting fascism as if they are in the middle of WW2 and the Alt-right consider themselves to be fighting in a cause similar to the American Civil War. It's not hard to justify using violence if you pretend you are fighting Nazis and Redcoats.
Little CuChulainn is offline  
25-04-2017, 10:13   #11
20Cent
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 7,454
White supremacists and fascists have only ever been defeated with violence. Having a chat with them doesn't work. It always tries to reinventitself in another more socially acceptable form. Richard Spencer and nathan damigo are clean cut chaps who you could bring home to your mother. Their vile hateful beliefs sugar coated. Allowing people like this to go mainstream or to normalise their behavior is not an option. Antifa showed them for what they are. Always bash the fash.
20Cent is offline  
25-04-2017, 10:29   #12
Tabnabs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 12,592
There it is, a self-appointed mob to be judge, jury and executioner. No regard to due process or the law in any form. Violence on sight and at every opportunity. It even comes with a catchy marketing slogan...

It's pretty clear to any right thinking individual that fascists and anti-fascists are cut from the same cloth and both deserve the full attention of the law of the land. If you can't behave like a rational adult, you don't get to be treated like one and instead held in the contempt that you deserve.
Tabnabs is offline  
25-04-2017, 10:32   #13
Maguined
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 6,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20Cent View Post
White supremacists and fascists have only ever been defeated with violence. Having a chat with them doesn't work. It always tries to reinventitself in another more socially acceptable form. Richard Spencer and nathan damigo are clean cut chaps who you could bring home to your mother. Their vile hateful beliefs sugar coated. Allowing people like this to go mainstream or to normalise their behavior is not an option. Antifa showed them for what they are. Always bash the fash.
I disagree with you. white supremacy can be overcome with reason and logic like this famous photo from 1996 where a racist white supremacist was attacked by anti-racist protestors but then protected by an 18 year old woman.

Quote:
Thomas expressed that she had protected the man due to her own religious convictions and because she "knew what it was like to be hurt ... The many times that that happened, I wish someone would have stood up for me." A few months after the June event, Thomas was thanked by the son of the unnamed man she rescued.
The son is not a racist, the cycle of racism has been broken by the actions of this 18 year old woman who while not racist herself does not believe someone should be beaten for their views. If she did not defend this racist and he was seriously hurt I think the son could of followed in his fathers racist footsteps and things would of been worse.



If someone is attacking you fair enough you should defend yourself and others. If someone is not attacking you merely expressing views even stupid racist views by attacking them first you are becoming a facist yourself.
Maguined is offline  
25-04-2017, 11:58   #14
20Cent
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 7,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maguined View Post

If someone is attacking you fair enough you should defend yourself and others. If someone is not attacking you merely expressing views even stupid racist views by attacking them first you are becoming a facist yourself.
It's a bit more than "merely expressing views". This guy has an SS tatoo. Like he saw the holocaust and thought those guys were cool and went so far as to get an SS tatoo.Mein Kampf was mearly expressing a view, so were Hitlers early speeches. Didn't work out wel..
20Cent is offline  
Thanks from:
25-04-2017, 12:00   #15
NIMAN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 20,822
They are just a physical version of keyboard warriors.

You are entitled to your opinion ......... as long as its the same as theirs.
If its not, then you aren't entitled to have that opinion.
NIMAN is offline  
Forum Closed

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet