Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Red/Orange light over Enniscorthy

Options
  • 12-12-2011 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Anyone notice a bright Red/Orange light in the sky over Enniscorthy tonight 11 Dec at about 9.35pm? It wasn't flashing like a plane might and was an irregular shape.

I'm not a night gazer or anything, just saw it while driving through and thought I'd mention it here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

TheApophis wrote: »
    Anyone notice a bright Red/Orange light in the sky over Enniscorthy tonight 11 Dec at about 9.35pm? It wasn't flashing like a plane might and was an irregular shape.

We really need a sticky here with Title "Seen an orange light in the sky?" and Message body: "It was a Chinese lantern. Really, it was. No, really. Yes, it was."

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭BULLER

I know it's actually getting ridiculous at this stage!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 TheApophis

Forgive me for thinking this was the "Astronomy and Space" section, I didn't realise I had mistakenly posted on the "Sarcastic and Cynical"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

TheApophis wrote: »
    Forgive me for thinking this was the "Astronomy and Space" section, I didn't realise I had mistakenly posted on the "Sarcastic and Cynical"
    We're not all like that here :o, Most people when they mention they're into astronomy get asked the same questions over and over again, some just can't handle it, others don't mind. ;)
    I can't understand people getting annoyed here myself, it's not like people are falling over themselves to post here, most of the time the place is very quiet.

Nice one for asking the question, what you describe was more than likely a chinese lantern, for the last few years they have been a major cause of "what did I see" queries.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 TheApophis

Thanks for that Cú Giobach - nice to know you're not all cranky little green men here after all.

I understand the lantern thing. I actually genuinly thought it was something worth mentioning that's why I went to the 'effort' of posting it here and thought someone else may have seen it too.

But now that I know it's a CHINESE LANTERN I'll sleep tonight, for a second there I thought it may have been a rare SPOTTED JAPANESE LANTERN. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

You have to understand that your last post shows you are a member of a very select group of people, ie. someone who posted in the correct forum alright but who actually accepted the explanation of the people who stay up all night looking up and who have actually pointed Binoculars and Telescopes at these things. The problem is that 9 times out of 10, people ask their orange/red light in the sky question here cause, "Sure the Astronomers will know" and then don't accept our answer because its not the answer they were hoping for!! The problem is that people here are starting to go on the defensive straight away rather than taking each new Orange/Red light question on an individual basis. ie. Wait till the poster says the flickering orange light in the sky couldn't be a Lantern before one raises ones eyes to heaven :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

Sam-7 warhead

Advertisement