Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

16-06-2010, 16:05   #16
Wisco

I agree- crazy that it's so far from most people in Ireland. Perhaps these people will actually know how to run a rink properly and get it going again.

But I do hope it does really re-open!! I can face a few months without hockey, but not sure I could give it up all together again.
Advertisement
16-06-2010, 22:15   #17
cena

it should of been built more central in ireland. athlone would be a great spot you can get the train etc from most parts of the country too athlone.
17-06-2010, 04:09   #18
synacron trion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisco View Post
I agree- crazy that it's so far from most people in Ireland. Perhaps these people will actually know how to run a rink properly and get it going again.

But I do hope it does really re-open!! I can face a few months without hockey, but not sure I could give it up all together again.
Is the one in Charlestown, Dublin still open?
21-06-2010, 16:17   #19
Wisco

Nope Charlestown closed after Christmas last year. It wasn't the greatest rink ever but it was a helluva lot closer to me than Dundalk!!!
21-06-2010, 17:00   #20
synacron trion

Quote:
Nope Charlestown closed after Christmas last year. It wasn't the greatest rink ever but it was a helluva lot closer to me than Dundalk!!!
How is ice hockey and other ice based sports meant to grow at all in Ireland with these seasonal crappy rinks.

I am in Australia where it is still relatively warm and its the middle of winter and there are 2 permanent rinks in my city. I am only 20 minutes in the door from playing ice hockey at one of them. The people here are shocked when I tell them there is pretty much no ice hockey in Ireland at all.
Advertisement
08-07-2010, 14:52   #21
Wisco

Hey peeps- any news on when there might be ice again? Think I may have forgotten how to skate by now..... Also any gossip about this years leagues would be good
10-07-2010, 11:59   #22

The jobs for the ice dome are up on the fas.ie website so that must mean it is opening again :-)
14-07-2010, 15:51   #23
MysticalSoul

Also seems that Planet Ice (Dundalk) is official online - but no info as such. What I found is: http://www.ukdata.com/company-credit...9-LIMITED.html
19-07-2010, 22:24   #24

August is what we were told at the iiha agm on Sunday
Thanks from:
Advertisement
28-07-2010, 21:59   #25
red_ice

Send a message via ICQ to red_ice
Quote:
I had the best time ever coming back to hockey after an 8 year leave in that rink. I played 5 days a week there. The ice was crap, the fascilities were terrible. But it was a rink that played hockey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by synacron trion View Post
How is ice hockey and other ice based sports meant to grow at all in Ireland with these seasonal crappy rinks.

I am in Australia where it is still relatively warm and its the middle of winter and there are 2 permanent rinks in my city. I am only 20 minutes in the door from playing ice hockey at one of them. The people here are shocked when I tell them there is pretty much no ice hockey in Ireland at all.
Irelands a hole and its run by idiots. Look at skateboarding/bmxing/rollerblading now. Before the boom of skateparks there was a cry for them for nearly 30 years, they open up 3 parks, then all of a sudden theres another 3. People arent getting beat up for skating, and the kids have a place to go.

Its the same with hockey, only they feel that there is more interest and need for rugby/football pitches (mainly gaa tho) so they put more money into that.. the reality is, its cheap to paint grass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miceal View Post
August is what we were told at the iiha agm on Sunday
is that for dundalk or the 'other one'..
03-08-2010, 17:36   #26
Dre as in Dray

Dundalk has been bought over by planet ice from the UK . So its re-opening.
05-08-2010, 10:41   #27
MysticalSoul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dre as in Dray View Post
In the Dundalk Democrat back in early June, they mentioned this, and also indicated would be open by end of that month - still no official update since then. They keep deleting all queries on their facebook page - if they are not going to bother replying they should at least change their admin settings that any posts on there have to be approved first.
05-08-2010, 18:03   #28
red_ice

Send a message via ICQ to red_ice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dre as in Dray View Post
This isnt true. There were talks about that happening, people just took it as gospel and started to say this was the case. I hope it is, for obvious reasons, but i dont have my hopes up.
22-08-2010, 12:47   #29
MysticalSoul

Has anyone heard any update as of yet, as to what is happening? Also, anyone know of anything re the planned rink in Dublin (Artane area)? Is this still going ahead?
22-08-2010, 14:30   #30
PMC83

I wouldn't get those hopes up. On the otehr hand, inline hockey seems to be on the up and up!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion