Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dee's burgers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Hey, just noticed on an add that Deirdre Collins is going to be on Dragon's Den on Thursday (info). I've never watched the program... But I know she has her products on the shelf already so not sure why she is looking for funding on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

But I know she has her products on the shelf already so not sure why she is looking for funding on it.

Most going on dragons den would have their products out in the market in some forum but are looking to expand in the market or expand into other markets. She might have products on shelves but they might not be the shelves she wants to be on or they could be looking for money to expand production to meet higher demand. Only way to show the guys on the show they've a product worth investing in is if they have sales for a set area of the market and loads of research of what would happen if they expanded further.

oh cool :) thanks

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

She'd be far better off going to a venture capitalist that's not on the dragons den..I know one that owns his own company in this area..slates them a lot

although tv might get her publicity...mmm 33k

It's available on the rte player now. She was the first one to present. Interesting to learn a little about her business. http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1067932

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Oh I forgot the reipe she sent:

I have her website and facebook too if anybody wants.

yes could i have the links please?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Oh she did very well on the program :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Zombie thread time! :D

I'd heard a big fuss made of these burgers, so I decided to try them the other day. €4 for two burgers was a bit off-putting, but I reckoned given the hubub over them they must be really amazing and worth it, so I took the plunge and went for the "Organic Spicy Bean Burger." And... meh. :(

To start off, it wasn't spicy. And really the taste was only average. Most definitely not worth €4.

I bought them in Superquinn, are they any cheaper in Dunnes? And is the "Omega Burger" any better?

I have to say, I really was surprised at how incredibly mediocre these burgers were, people seem to rave about them. Maybe it's just me. Very disappointing though :(

Haven't tried them, wouldn't be trying them too often at that price. It was hard enough to buy 8 veggie burgers for 4e the other day heh

• Advertisement

I think one of the main pluses about the burgers is that they are gluten-free, as well as vegan; a combination which you never see. They did indeed taste healthy (and I was glad to be getting the nuts/pulses into my diet with the meal!), but they wouldn't be at all 'meaty', if that's what you are looking for.

I emailed Dee recently to enquire about their status with Eddie Rockets and they are no longer supplying a veggie/vegan burger for them. :( (She had to choose between distributing refrigerated products or frozen products to save on cost/space.)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

I think one of the main pluses about the burgers is that they are gluten-free, as well as vegan; a combination which you never see. They did indeed taste healthy (and I was glad to be getting the nuts/pulses into my diet with the meal!), but they wouldn't be at all 'meaty', if that's what you are looking for.

I emailed Dee recently to enquire about their status with Eddie Rockets and they are no longer supplying a veggie/vegan burger for them. :( (She had to choose between distributing refrigerated products or frozen products to save on cost/space.)
    Indeed. When I saw them I couldn't believe the ingredients. Everything has added sugar, or wheat, or yeast, or something I can't have. Except these!

Oh they seemed healthy alright. Don't get me wrong, they were perfectly edible, which is more than I can say for some veggie burgers I've tried. But I'm not coeliac so not worried about gluten, and they're just WAY too expensive. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Have to agree with the last poster; not very tasty unfortunately. Maybe a bit of this kind of feedback should be proffered to Dee.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

When were they supplying the burgers to eddie rockets? I noticed Eddie Rockets had changed the veggie burger they used a while back and the newer ones were horrible, I actually couldn't eat it [it was just mush] and they gave me a refund without me asking saying alot of people had complained.

Ah, Eddie Rockets had them a couple of months ago. Personally, I liked being able to buy a vegan burger in the place, but I agree it was very soft and didn't hold together well.

But anyhow, let's not get too carried away with negativity. I enjoyed the burgers. Some others didn't. Just like any other product/company on boards, we shouldn't get carried away with complaints about one product. Any other helpful comments are welcome. Also, as suggested, if you want to share your thoughts/opinions with the company you can get in contact with them personally.

sweet-rasmus

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

I like them.

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

I like them too, in a big floury bap with hummus and a spicy relish with some homemade chips or wedges!

But anyhow, let's not get too carried away with negativity. I enjoyed the burgers. Some others didn't. Just like any other product/company on boards, we shouldn't get carried away with complaints about one product. Any other helpful comments are welcome. Also, as suggested, if you want to share your thoughts/opinions with the company you can get in contact with them personally.

sweet-rasmus
    Sorry :o
    I was mainly wondering if they were cheaper in places other than SuperValu. I don't expect gourmet food out of a packet, so at a lower price I wouldn't have thought twice about them. But for my hard-earned €4 I expect wonderfood, or at least an extra burger in there :p

I'd have a look other places, supervalu are certainly not the cheapest supermarket

• Advertisement

I'd have a look other places, supervalu are certainly not the cheapest supermarket
    And neither is Superquinn, which is where I got them - my bad, sorry! Yeah I'll take a look. Even €3 would be reasonable I think, since they are a decent size and pretty healthy. And I do want to try the Omega burger before I write them off completely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

she was selling 3 packs of burgers + a pack of pitta breads and a jar of Ballymaloe relish for a tenner at the Rude Health thingy so I think it's safe to say the supermarkets are getting a large chunk of the €3.99

Absurdum wrote: »
    she was selling 3 packs of burgers + a pack of pitta breads and a jar of Ballymaloe relish for a tenner at the Rude Health thingy so I think it's safe to say the supermarkets are getting a large chunk of the €3.99
    Really? Now that I would be interested in. I'll keep an eye on her website :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

I think the omega burger is top notch stuff actually :)

Didn't get around to trying the spicy ones yet though, and I agree that they are priced way too high :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

Where can you buy these in Cork? I've tried Dunnes on north main street and patrick street but neither have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

The Quay Co-Op have them! :)

SomeFool wrote: »
    The Quay Co-Op have them! :)

Thanks, I'll have a look in there.

Hi Everyone! Dee has been in touch with me and would like to share her reply to your comments on the thread.
    Dee wrote:
    I saw the thread on boards.ie and wished to respond to comments:-

Once we can buy bulk raw materials by the tonne we will pass on a price reduction to our customers, until then unfortunately we are stuck with the "middle man" and buying in 25kg lots, which makes everything real expensive. You are right in commenting that the store takes a big percentage, not to mention the distributors that get it to the store and the haulage costs of getting it to the distributors let alone overheads and staff costs - its pretty safe to say there is only a tiny little piece of cake (burger) is left for the company. This goes pretty much for all Irish food companies, not just Dee's. But by choosing Irish companies you are helping protect Irish jobs and doing a bit for our local economy - there are 4 people now employed by Dee's, so thanks everyone : )

In relation to how different they taste to other products - we do not use any fat or salt at all, fat is generally used in convenience food to carry flavour compounds often enhanced by "yeast extracts aka MSG". Some people who are used to eating heavily salted foods will miss the salt. On a study done on certain brands of veggie sausages, it was found one sausage contained as much salt as 15 bags of salt and vinegar crisps - scary! Our labels are completely honest, what you see is what you get. 100% natural ingredients, as close to their natural state - no fillers, breadcrumbs or weird looking ingredients like (methyl cellulose - actually derived from wood!). High in fibre and protein to keep you feeling full.

We have a new brochure out with recipes so people can try different things at home - attached.

We are expanding the range in January with really tasty meals you can stick in the microwave, still being low fat etc.

We have also launched www.meatfreemondays.ie to encourage our m-eaty friends to go meat-free one day per week. No manimals were harmed in the making of this video!

We hope you will stick with us while we expand our range and grow the business as Ireland's first and only (so far) meat-free brand.

Thanks for all the feedback, it is invaluable in bringing new products to market.

Kind regards,

Dee

I tried the omega burgers and liked them but €4 for a pack of 2 is way too expensive for me. I understand the reasons for the pricing though; as Dee has pointed out in her message. Hope as the business grows that the products will become more affordable :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Wonkagirl

I discovered these for the first time this weekend (where have i BEEN?!) and bloody hell they are gorgeous.. shallow friend in cocunut oil, and put in a spelt pitta with hummous, chopped chili, alfalfa sprouts and rocket... delicious. Would happily have that for dinner every nite. I look forward to Dee's adding more products to the range!

Advertisement