Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dee's burgers

• 07-12-2008 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭

Edit: previously known as Veg-E-Que, now known as Dee's burgers. see: http://www.dees.ie/

Anyone tried these burgers? http://www.vegeque.com/our-products (the site seems a bit slow to navigate)
    It's a new company in Cork run by Deirdre Collins.
    http://www.vegeque.com/images/stories/veg-e-que_bean_burger.jpg
    "We use only the very finest fresh vegetables, unrefined grains and seeds to create the most natural, nutritious, best-tasting wholefood burgers available anywhere. This is convenient healthy food you know you can trust! All our burgers have a high nutritional health value and are meat-free, wheat-free and gluten-free. They don’t contain any dairy, soy or eggs either! We don’t use salt in cooking so naturally, the salt content is very very low"

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Look tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Anyone tried these burgers? http://www.vegeque.com/our-products (the site seems a bit slow to navigate)
    It's a new company in Cork run by Deirdre Collins.
    http://www.vegeque.com/images/stories/veg-e-que_bean_burger.jpg

Liking the look of those spicy bean burgers, will have to try them when they go on sale in The Organic Supermarket in Blackrock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

They look fabulous! Wonder when they'll be in the shops?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

Oh i saw a stall at UCC the other day selling their products methinks! must try out some stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

They look fabulous! Wonder when they'll be in the shops?

+1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

Ohh definitly will be trying these out!

/stares with longing at the pictures/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Hello,

I noticed a conversation on Boards.ie about my products. Just to give you an update; new packaging is being finalised at the moment and the burgers should be available in shops late January/February. Veg-e-Que is a start-up company, which started, like a lot of food companies ,at local farmers markets, festivals etc. Production has been moved into a commercial kitchen and prospective retail customers have been patient and extremely understanding until the packaging labels have been finished.

If you would like to keep updated on the launch, please confirm and I will add your details to my customer database.

Thank you,

Kind regards,

Persons name

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

Oh interesting - I will keep an eye out for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Veg-e-Que will undergo some rebranding before the launch in the Spring. The name of the company will remain as Veg-e-Que but our delicious vegetarian burgers will be sold under my name... Dee!

Online ordering is now available from the website, for those of you that cannot wait for the burgers to hit the shelves!

see http://www.vegeque.com/purchase
    I'm going to wait until they are on the shelves. The taste test awaits!!!

Update
    Dear Paul,

Just to let you know that Dee's Omega Burger will be in stock next week in Dublin from Tuesday at:-

The Organic Supermarket, Blackrock
    and; Listons, Camden Street.

p.s we have also just started supplying Eddie Rockets with an organic, gluten-free veggie burger (Pinto Bean, Mushroom, Garlic and Herb).

Thank you,
    Kind regards,
    Dee

I want to try this new eddie rockets burger too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭maameeo

Update

I want to try this new eddie rockets burger too!

oooh wow wow wow! trip to eddie rockets anyone???
    wait, bet they dont have them, while in college everytime we went to eddie rockets on dame street they wer 'out of veggie burgers', i no longer trust eddie rockets :(

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Thoushaltnot

Update

Just to let you know that Dee's Omega Burger will be in stock next week in Dublin from Tuesday at:-

The Organic Supermarket, Blackrock
    and; Listons, Camden Street.

Just spotted that Dees Omega burger in the fridge in Listons today - was gonna post up about it but yiz beat me to it!!!

maameeo wrote: »
    oooh wow wow wow! trip to eddie rockets anyone???
    wait, bet they dont have them, while in college everytime we went to eddie rockets on dame street they wer 'out of veggie burgers', i no longer trust eddie rockets :(
    I've only asked for one in there once and they had it, but they absolutely covered it in their 'special sauce' so i couldn't eat most of it.
    Just spotted that Dees Omega burger in the fridge in Listons today - was gonna post up about it but yiz beat me to it!!!
    I've known for days, guess I just had a feeling that I should post it today hehehe

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭maameeo

I've only asked for one in there once and they had it, but they absolutely covered it in their 'special sauce' so i couldn't eat most of it.

that happened me before with a hangover...not good bleah!

Bought the Omega Burger in the Organic Supermarket in Blackrock (Co. Dublin) today and had one for dinner with some homemade chips :) Delicious! €3.99 for two burgers and totally worth it for a great tasting omega burger. I highly recommend you try it! They have a mild taste and are not at all strong (and full of salt) like those nut cutlets we all know...
    Ingredients: Organic Broccoli, organic carrots, organic brown rice, organic milletm organic onions, organic hempseed, organic sunflower seeds, organic garlic puree, organic spices.

yum :D

Edit: for those of you interested, you can order sosmix or burger mix from the organic supermarket online in the 'tins/jars/packets' section http://www.organicsupermarket.ie/shop/ and they deliver anywhere in Ireland for a flat fee. Sadly they don't deliver the chilled or frozen goods (there are veggie rashers and nuggets advertised). And remember, they are an organic supermarket and sell real meat too. Don't get confused!

p.s we have also just started supplying Eddie Rockets with an organic, gluten-free veggie burger (Pinto Bean, Mushroom, Garlic and Herb).
    I emailed Dee to check and here's what she said about the burger:
    the Eddie Rockets Veggie Burger, is an organic product, gluten-free and also vegan.
    Anyone found this Eddie Rockets Burger yet?! I wonder if it is in all branches...

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Eviecus

Oh I would love to get some of these!!

And as for Eddie Rockets, I don't know what the story is with them stocking these new veggie burgers. I went in to one (after checking on their website that they now have them) and asked for one and she tried to give me the old one, I explained I wanted the new one (the vegan burger)...got a blank stare...explained what I read on their website...another blank stare and some comment about their current veggie burger, I was full of rage and loathing to remember the comment. I just left :( So disappointing...I really wanted to have a vegan burger :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

sounds like it'll still be a while til the vegan burger is reliably stocked and staff know about it, but I really can't wait til it'll be so easy =) I'll get to slip back into my lazy ways of getting fast food instead of cooking =P

Eviecus wrote: »
    Oh I would love to get some of these!!

And as for Eddie Rockets, I don't know what the story is with them stocking these new veggie burgers. I went in to one (after checking on their website that they now have them) and asked for one and she tried to give me the old one, I explained I wanted the new one (the vegan burger)...got a blank stare...explained what I read on their website...another blank stare and some comment about their current veggie burger, I was full of rage and loathing to remember the comment. I just left :( So disappointing...I really wanted to have a vegan burger :(

Aw unlucky! maybe try ringing around a few of the Eddie Rockets in a while to see which ones are stocked?
    Or email vegeque to ask tehm about it? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Huh, I just stumbled upon this thread- I got a veggieburger in eddie rocket's a month ago and it was totally different to the ones I used to- maybe that means the one in Stillorgan has started using them?

Unfortunately that means I'm not a fan- I really didn't like it and I was pretty annoyed, because I adored their old veggieburgers :( But at least it's good news for the people looking for them.

• Advertisement

As long as they don't give me a litre of their 'special sauce' anything will be an improvement!

I rang the Eddie Rockets on Wicklow St before going and specifically asked if they had the new vegan burger, with the pinto beans. She had to go and check with someone and then it was confirmed :)

I had an email from Dee about them and they should be in all Eddie Rockets by now (since two weeks ago). Just clarify by asking for the pinto bean burger and whatever else is in it.

Tastey :) €6.95 I think, but worth trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Eviecus

cocoa wrote: »
    sounds like it'll still be a while til the vegan burger is reliably stocked and staff know about it, but I really can't wait til it'll be so easy =) I'll get to slip back into my lazy ways of getting fast food instead of cooking =P
    I know!!!:cool: It's cool right? When I first went vegan I wasn't too strict, like I would eat a veggie burger even though I knew it had egg in it to bind it together, but I've stopped doing that! Once I know something isn't vegan I don't eat it anymore. I'm good :) I actually can't believe the will power I have, especially when I'm starving and am turning food away!
    Aw unlucky! maybe try ringing around a few of the Eddie Rockets in a while to see which ones are stocked?
    Or email vegeque to ask tehm about it? :)
    Yeah I might ring the one out in Omnipark cos that's the nearest to me.
    Gauge wrote: »
    Huh, I just stumbled upon this thread- I got a veggieburger in eddie rocket's a month ago and it was totally different to the ones I used to- maybe that means the one in Stillorgan has started using them?

Unfortunately that means I'm not a fan- I really didn't like it and I was pretty annoyed, because I adored their old veggieburgers :( But at least it's good news for the people looking for them.
    Aw bummer! Pity you don't like them. So have they stopped stocking the original veggie burgers now?
    I rang the Eddie Rockets on Wicklow St before going and specifically asked if they had the new vegan burger, with the pinto beans. She had to go and check with someone and then it was confirmed :)

I had an email from Dee about them and they should be in all Eddie Rockets by now (since two weeks ago). Just clarify by asking for the pinto bean burger and whatever else is in it.

Tastey :) €6.95 I think, but worth trying.
    Excellent!!! I tried on the 16th July and that was when I was told there were no vegan burgers. That's pretty sweet! I want one now though...I'll have to think of a reason to have one...maybe if I use Friday as the excuse...getting paid and all that! :pac::pac::pac: <= me eating vegan burgers...three of them.

Oh I went to Eddie Rockets today (30th July) and had the vegan burger! I rang beforehand to check they had it and they did. Woo! It isn't as nice as their old veggie burger but I can eat this one! I'm delighted!

UPDATE:
    Hello,

Just an update on the Eddie Rockets situation. We pushed out the pinto-bean burger into all the restaurants but it was not without "teething" problems. Due to the fact that the burger is organic you are forbidden to use any artificial binders such as methyl-cellulose (which is a common ingredient in non-organic veggie burgers), the mushrooms were releasing too much water and the veggie burger was going mushy on the grill and were taking too long to cook out the extra moisture. Eddie Rockets are to be commended on sticking with an Organic veggie burger and we are re-working the recipe at the moment. We are looking at using a roughly chopped sunflower seed base, with brown rice and spices. We are committed to keeping the burger vegan, gluten-free and soy-free also and of course Organic. The old burger is back in the stores while we are finalising the development of the new recipe. It will be worth waiting for! Thanks for all your patience and sorry if some of you were disappointed in store.

Kind regards,
    Dee

UPDATE 2

I popped in last week into Listons of Camden St. - the Omega burgers were all gone. So I tried again yesterday but when I asked why there were still none I was told that they were'nt selling and that they were not going to be getting them back in!!!:mad:

I did make disappointed noises though. Anyone else in the area? Feel free to pop in and do as I did, if you'd like to see Listons stocking them again.

I hope the Organic Supermarket in Blackrock (Dublin) are selling them alright still. Gotta check that soon... I guess Listons may have found the product too expensive with too short a shelf life, so I wouldn't blame them really. I would hope that they would order some in if you request them though, so you can stock up your freezer.

And they're back!
    Picked a packet up in Listons a couple of days back, they have the chilli bean burger in stock too. Found it to be a bit bland, could do with more bean or spices. Maybe buckwheat for binding...

/has a bit of a think...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Getwellsoon

Sounds lovely! Not sure if I'd buy them as I make some mean veggie burgers / mushroom burgers / bean burgers myself... but i will DEFINITELY try them if they are in Eddie Rockets - at last, another place to go with friends who want fast food and I'll be able to eat as well! :)

Dunnes Stores will be listing the range in the following Dublin Stores:-

Cornelscourt
    Blanchardstown
    Swords Pavillion
    Clondalkin
    Tallaght
    Northside Grocer
    Donaghmede
    Kilnamanagh
    Ashleaf Crumlin
    Charlestown Finglas.

Gourmet Recipe suggestions attached that may be of interest!

More updates and info available on our facebook fan page.

Kind regards,

Dee

:)

• Advertisement

Oh I forgot the reipe she sent:
    Gourmet Serving Suggestions:-
    Dee’s Spicy Bean Burgers with Mango, Coriander & Lime Coconut Sauce
    Serves 2
    Ingredients
    · Sauce:
    · 120 ml light coconut milk
    · 10 g chopped fresh coriander
    · 1/2 lime, juiced
    · 3 g fresh ginger root, minced
    · 1/2 clove garlic, minced
    · 8 ml honey
    · Stir Fry:
    · 8 ml groundnut/rapeseed oil
    · 1/2 red onion, cut into 1 inch long strips
    · 1/2 green pepper, cut into 1 inch long strips
    · 30 g thinly sliced carrot
    · 1 small mango - peeled and cut into cubes (technique below)
    · 1 pack Dee’s Spicy Bean Burgers
    Directions
    1. To make the sauce, blend the coconut milk, coriander, lime juice, ginger, garlic, and honey in a blender until smooth; set aside.
    2. Heat the groundnut/rapeseed oil in a wok over medium-high heat. Cook the onion, green pepper, and carrot in the hot oil until the carrot is tender, about 10 minutes. Add the mango; cook and stir until the mango is softened and add the sauce, simmer for 10mins while stirring frequently. Keep warm.
    3. Cook Dee’s Spicy Bean Burgers according to instructions and place on a warmed plate.
    4. Pour the sauce on top of the burgers
    5. Serve with steamed broccoli and homemade potato wedges or boiled rice.

I have her website and facebook too if anybody wants.

Advertisement