Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

ICEDOME

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

I'll believe it when I skate on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

that really has made my day. I was worried that yet another rink would be taken away from me as i found my stride in hockey, this is great news, surely a reason to get sauced tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭PMC83

red_ice wrote: »
    I had the best time ever coming back to hockey after an 8 year leave in that rink. I played 5 days a week there. The ice was crap, the fascilities were terrible. But it was a rink that played hockey.

Irelands a hole and its run by idiots. Look at skateboarding/bmxing/rollerblading now. Before the boom of skateparks there was a cry for them for nearly 30 years, they open up 3 parks, then all of a sudden theres another 3. People arent getting beat up for skating, and the kids have a place to go.

Its the same with hockey, only they feel that there is more interest and need for rugby/football pitches (mainly gaa tho) so they put more money into that.. the reality is, its cheap to paint grass.

is that for dundalk or the 'other one'..

Cooled off a little have we?

red_ice wrote: »
    This isnt true. There were talks about that happening, people just took it as gospel and started to say this was the case. I hope it is, for obvious reasons, but i dont have my hopes up.

AHem ;)

PMC83 wrote: »
    Cooled off a little have we?

So ireland isnt run by arseholes and we have all the sporting fascilities we need? sorry, but i dont see your point.
    AHem ;)

dont shoot the messenger!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭cena

IIHA Update: Dundalk Ice Dome

Over the weekend, the IIHA received an update from the Ice Dome that no further progress on re-opening the facility will be made until the later part of next week (week starting 13th September 2010) at the earliest. We have been informed that everything is still okay for the facility to re-open and the signing of paperwork is the only reason for the delay in re-opening the facility. We have been further informed that it is hoped this paperwork will all be signed off upon by the end of next week and from there it will take about 2/3 weeks for the facility to be back open. This would mean that the earliest the facility will be back open will be early October.

However, we have not been provided with an exact or estimated date of when it will be back open so it could be mid/late October. As such, we will continue to remain in contact with the facility and we will be in touch with all of the teams and our members if we receive any further information or if anything changes to the above.

In the meantime, the IIHA have contacted the ice rink facilities in Northern Ireland and we await feedback from them as to what ice time is available there. Ice time can be limited at these facilities but we believe we can work something out so as to cause as little disruption to the season ahead as possible.

We thank everyone for their patience and we look forward to coming back to each of you very soon with an update on everything.

We are also excited about getting everyone back onto the ice as soon as possible.

Published 15 days ago, 7 September 2010 AuthorDean Kelly

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

So the IIHA is telling us...however, a little birdy told me there's so much debt with that place that it could be a lot longer than that in opening up....so as I said before, I'll believe it when I skate on it.
    Sorry to be pessimistic, and I hope I'm proved wrong, but I have serious doubts about there being any ice this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Darryl13

cena wrote: »
    IIHA Update: Dundalk Ice Dome
    Over the weekend, the IIHA received an update from the Ice Dome that no further progress on re-opening the facility will be made until the later part of next week (week starting 13th September 2010) at the earliest. We have been informed that everything is still okay for the facility to re-open and the signing of paperwork is the only reason for the delay in re-opening the facility. We have been further informed that it is hoped this paperwork will all be signed off upon by the end of next week and from there it will take about 2/3 weeks for the facility to be back open. This would mean that the earliest the facility will be back open will be early October.

However, we have not been provided with an exact or estimated date of when it will be back open so it could be mid/late October. As such, we will continue to remain in contact with the facility and we will be in touch with all of the teams and our members if we receive any further information or if anything changes to the above.

In the meantime, the IIHA have contacted the ice rink facilities in Northern Ireland and we await feedback from them as to what ice time is available there. Ice time can be limited at these facilities but we believe we can work something out so as to cause as little disruption to the season ahead as possible.

We thank everyone for their patience and we look forward to coming back to each of you very soon with an update on everything.

We are also excited about getting everyone back onto the ice as soon as possible.

Published 15 days ago, 7 September 2010 AuthorDean Kelly

hi Dean its Darryl one of the guys who used to play hockey in dundalk from charlestown with adam and noel any word on when the ice dome is back open

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 guesswhooo

anyone got any more news yet??? :confused:

It allways seems to be another week and another....waiting on a VAT number? Come on it dosent take that long!

I'd be suprised it evre opens at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 guesswhooo

I know its always 'it will be open the middle of this month' but we just cant believe them anymore :(

Going by the papers they have the VAT number so I dont know what the delay is, lack of communication is the lastest excuse :mad:

So the latest rumour I read is that apparently even though plant ice bought it, the retail park won't sign it over or something?? At this stage they may as well knock the thing, put us out of our missery:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 dolphinv

Published on Wed Feb 02 14:12:26 GMT 2011

THE Dundalk Democrat can reveal that the owners of the Dundalk Ice Dome are in negotiations with two potential leasees to take over operations and they are ‘confident’ that the popular ice rink will reopen.

However, the company which had the original lease on the rink, BKG Ice Rinks and Leisure Ltd, have been appointed a liquidator this week.
    The Ice Dome, which is owned by Finnabair Estates who developed the retail park in which it is situated, has been closed since May of last year.
    The initial closure was put down to maintainence and was meant to last a matter of weeks.
    However, eight months on and the rink remains closed to the public.
    Speaking with the Dundalk Democrat, Neil Armstrong of Finnabair Estates, told the paper that “We are in talks with two operators. We are at an advanced stage and are confident that the Ice Dome will reopen.”
    Mr Armstrong could not confirm if one of the operators was UK outfit, Planet Ice, whom they had been in negotiations with last summer.
    At the time Planet Ice, who run 14 rinks in the UK, told the this paper that they were eager to go ahead with the deal but that it was Finnabair Estates who were to blame for failure to do a deal.
    Speaking with the Dundalk Democrat this week a representative of Finnabair Estates said they wanted to have someone take over the lease as it “benefited no one sitting idle’”
    The Democrat understands that there is a huge demand for the reopening of the rink and that Finnabair Estates have been inundated with enquiries as to the situation with the rink.
    The rink was home to the Irish National Ice Hockey squad and local team the Dundalk Bulls, who have been unable to train at the closed venue.

Is there any news on it reopening again.

cena wrote: »
    Is there any news on it reopening again.

bump

Read down towards the bottom here for a recap of events from the IIHA AGM, seems its pretty much a stale mate.

http://forums.internationalhockey.net/showthread.php?10902-F.Y.I.-This-Years-AGM

PMC83 wrote: »
    Read down towards the bottom here for a recap of events from the IIHA AGM, seems its pretty much a stale mate.

http://forums.internationalhockey.net/showthread.php?10902-F.Y.I.-This-Years-AGM

Thats a petty. I wonder how much would it cost too reopen it again.

I'd say its most likely just a case of how much it costs to KEEP open. Those places guzzle the electricity...they'd need to be getting a lot of people through the door to cover the bill..

Advertisement