Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

09-05-2011, 18:36   #31
peterako

Ok...so it seems that the scope you have is on a straight-forward EQ (Equatorial/German Equatorial) mount.

No computer control(?) so no software to run it(?).

Some good places to start to learn about how to set this up are:

1. The manual
2. Astro Baby's great 'How to' Section
3. Try set it up and experiment.

If you do 3 straight away we're here to help with specific questiions (or rather...answers to specific questions )

It's really not too hard. Teh instructions for these things make it look like 'Rocket Science' but it's not.

I started with my first scope by just pointing the thing towards the Moon.

After that I started roughly Polar Aligning, so that I coudl track the Moon etc.

I've never accurately Polar Aligned, and have not seen the need for it....yet....as long as I'm roughly set up with Polaris.

Astro Baby's site is great!

Clear skies,
Peter
Advertisement
09-05-2011, 18:46   #32
francie81

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterako View Post
Ok...so it seems that the scope you have is on a straight-forward EQ (Equatorial/German Equatorial) mount.

No computer control(?) so no software to run it(?).

Some good places to start to learn about how to set this up are:

1. The manual
2. Astro Baby's great 'How to' Section
3. Try set it up and experiment.

If you do 3 straight away we're here to help with specific questiions (or rather...answers to specific questions )

It's really not too hard. Teh instructions for these things make it look like 'Rocket Science' but it's not.

I started with my first scope by just pointing the thing towards the Moon.

After that I started roughly Polar Aligning, so that I coudl track the Moon etc.

I've never accurately Polar Aligned, and have not seen the need for it....yet....as long as I'm roughly set up with Polaris.

Astro Baby's site is great!

Clear skies,
Peter
Thats peter I think it is one of those what really confuses me is the computer software that came with it, so your saying if I get my manual and go there I can learn it quick time?

Am waiting for nice clear nights now to just go out and do what you done and point it to the heavens, but seeing as am living in a built up area with street lights surely isn't a great location?

Thanks,
Francie
17-06-2011, 03:30   #33

this is a really good post, thanks! someone mentioned blackrock observatory in cork, does anyone know any observatories in the east? the only one i know is the one in armagh?
23-06-2011, 23:47   #34
slade_x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geminian View Post
this is a really good post, thanks! someone mentioned blackrock observatory in cork, does anyone know any observatories in the east? the only one i know is the one in armagh?
Dunsink Observatory and the Rosse six foot telescope Are the most easterly observatories i am aware of

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunsink_Observatory
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leviathan_of_Parsonstown
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Markree_Observatory
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackrock_Castle / http://www.bco.ie/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armagh_Observatory / http://www.arm.ac.uk/
Thanks from:
10-07-2011, 23:50   #35
ScrubsfanChris

Seemed better to ask here than start a new thread..

I'm looking to buy a telescope after getting fed up with my current pair of binoculars.
I first looked at some GoTo scopes but it seems like a lazy way of going about things, and you wont learn much getting a computer to do it all for you.

The selection on some site is huge and I'm just not sure on how to go about things, I know the basics to look out for like aperture and focal length, but not much about what the best brands are and build qualities.

My budget is around €300, mostly will be looking at the Moon and planets, nothing OTT.
Thanks in advance...
Advertisement
11-07-2011, 00:14   #36
the quick fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrubsfanChris View Post
Seemed better to ask here than start a new thread..

I'm looking to buy a telescope after getting fed up with my current pair of binoculars.
I first looked at some GoTo scopes but it seems like a lazy way of going about things, and you wont learn much getting a computer to do it all for you.

The selection on some site is huge and I'm just not sure on how to go about things, I know the basics to look out for like aperture and focal length, but not much about what the best brands are and build qualities.

My budget is around €300, mostly will be looking at the Moon and planets, nothing OTT.
Thanks in advance...

Hey I got the astromaster 90EQ off astronomy Ireland for I think it was 200 euros and I have seen the moon, Jupiter, Saturn, Venus so far and they look great through it to be honest. The orion nebula looks great through it and binary system stars. I am going a bit off topic here but you should check out Sirius, appears as blue and red stars looks great, still to find andromeda galaxy through it which you should be able to see but it is hard to find.
I was committed to trying to figure out the right ascension and declination and I thought i had it figured out but it never really worked for me even though in fairness to astronomy Ireland when I went to them they did explain it well it was just I could not do it myself so now I just rely on constellations and stellarium to figure out where to find stars and planets.
My advice would be head down to the astronomy Ireland shop they give good advice and its not like lets sell him the worst most expensive telescope. Hope any of this helps.
03-10-2012, 12:16   #37
GlennGeo

Hey guys looking for a bit of help here! I got a skylux 70/700 of a friend and it's seems that there is dirt on the lenses. I need to no can these be replaced as they are interfering with the view when I look through .

Cheers guys
Glenn
01-04-2014, 20:58   #38
David Teacher

Really great post, thank you.

Also, just wanted to know if there's someone good to follow on twitter with regards to astronomy happenings in Ireland. I always seem to miss things like meteor showers, and only hear about them afterwards....

Last edited by David Teacher; 01-04-2014 at 21:03. Reason: forgot to say somethii
17-03-2016, 20:27   #39

It was a clear night here in Barcelona and could see Jupiter, I grabbed my binocs and could clearly see 3 moons ... it was magical ..

I need to get into a dark sky area one night and just gaze upwards!!!

Last edited by cowboyBuilder; 18-03-2016 at 12:03.
Advertisement
08-12-2016, 20:49   #40

I went out for a stroll the other night in a dark sky area and Orion was magical !!
A few months back I was in an even darker area (famous for it in fact) and was wondering why I couldn't see it - seems Orion is visible only during the winter !

Learning new things all the time.

Question - sites seem to say Orion is in the SW sky , yet it was in the SE .... I confirmed this on Stellarium ??

so all these sites are wrong or what ?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg orionSE.jpg (158.2 KB, 166 views)

Last edited by Jan_de_Bakker; 08-12-2016 at 21:04.
09-12-2016, 13:17   #41
murphyme2010

Hello Jan,

It depends on the time of day as well as time of year.

Orion is rising in the east at 8PM in the South at midnight and setting at 4AM (ish).

A sky-guide will typically say whether it's for the evening, midnight or morning.

Michael.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion