Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona Virus

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,380 ✭✭✭✭listermint

The current affairs thread is a hotbed for spreading panic you mean.

You'd swear every person who recently returned from skiing anywhere is carrying the coronavirus.

The lack of knowledge both in this thread and from two health care professionals now Cork and West of Ireland is astounding frankly.

Very much a me fein attitude - as in im fit and healthy even if i catch it il be grand. Id say im amazed but im not. Rare people see past their own front door.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

listermint wrote: »
    The lack of knowledge both in this thread and from two health care professionals now Cork and West of Ireland is astounding frankly.

Very much a me fein attitude - as in im fit and healthy even if i catch it il be grand. Id say im amazed but im not. Rare people see past their own front door.

How could a health care professional be knowledgeable about an alert before it is even raised?

Poor fecker was out there before it all kicked off properly, and followed procedure afterward but was told to proceed to work - but don't worry about those facts in your quest for knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

blue note wrote: »
    The advice wasn't to avoid Milan / ski resorts, it was to avoid the 11 or so towns.

The advice should have been to avoid Northern Italy. The number of countries that it spread to from there is astonishing. And a bunch of those cases were ski trips.

I have been dying to ski Northern Italy all season, and conditions had just been getting good, but I knew you couldn't go, whether the people in the Foreign Offices had the balls to say that or not.

To be honest I'm surprised a medical professional went, but the date they went on is probably key. Also, they're clearly much better informed than I am and are by definition a scientist so maybe they were able to rationalise it. But the point is to be socially responsible and not go.

Now if Ireland breaks out properly then **** it I'm off. But until then should do our bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭AdpRo

Supposed to be going to Soll next week. Still debating if we should go. Probably more chance of getting it here! Anyone canceled trips to Austria yet?

AdpRo wrote: »
    Supposed to be going to Soll next week. Still debating if we should go. Probably more chance of getting it here! Anyone canceled trips to Austria yet?

They've about 5 - 6 times the cases we have. Not sure what population is. They obviously share border with italy and also germany which isn't doing great.

I'd say risk of getting it is miniscule, risk of being stuck in a lockdown probably very small but possible:-

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/08/coronavirus-more-countries-will-adopt-italys-measures-says-austrian-leader

Have you anything to be back for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭maddness

I should be in Austria skiing now and didn’t go as I’m unwell but would have gone if I was ok. I think you have as much chance of getting this now here as Austria but the chance of getting stuck there would worry me.

They've just closed italian skiing for the season. No monte rosa for me madness.

Saw that, all Aosta and Courmayer so far.

maddness wrote: »
    I should be in Austria skiing now and didn’t go as I’m unwell but would have gone if I was ok. I think you have as much chance of getting this now here as Austria but the chance of getting stuck there would worry me.

Yes that's our main worry. We are flying into / out of Munich so probably more of a chance of flights from Germany being stopped than from Austria! Still planning on going at the moment anyway.

Yes that's our main worry. We are flying into / out of Munich so probably more of a chance of flights from Germany being stopped than from Austria! Still planning on going at the moment anyway.

I’d go as long as you can face the possibility of not getting a flight home when you expect one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭Alkers

We're due to go to Val Thorens for the last week of the season, here's hoping we still can!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

They just closed Ishgl for 2 weeks...

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭raymo19

I am booked for a weeks skiing in Bad Hofgastein on Saturday. Don't know what to do. Hotel says there is no Corona in Gastein valley so far. Any ideas ? other travellers considering going ???.

Thanks

raymo19 wrote: »
    I am booked for a weeks skiing in Bad Hofgastein on Saturday. Don't know what to do. Hotel says there is no Corona in Gastein valley so far. Any ideas ? other travellers considering going ???.

Thanks

Same boat, going to Soll. Very undecided, changing our mind every hour, will decided Friday night, really is 50/50 at the moment.

It looks like Tyrol (which includes Soll) just closed from Sunday. I would expect others regions to do similar.

Rew wrote: »
    It looks like Tyrol (which includes Soll) just closed from Sunday. I would expect others regions to do similar.

Thanks for that update Rew. I have decided not to go to bad Hofgastein on Saturday. I wonder is there any recourse in relation to hotel costs already paid if the ski resorts closes ?. Any further info on closures are greatly appreciated as there are alot of persons out there will be making a costly decision tomorrow.

Raymo.

Yes all lifts and accommodation in Tyrol closes on Monday. Just been announced.

https://www.tyrol.com/information-coronavirus

I would expect accommodation costs will be refunded but flights won't be unless an overall ban on travel to Austria is also announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

We are supposed to be going to the Grand Massif on Sunday. Looks like we won’t be going, it’s too uncertain. Things are shutting down so quickly and don’t want to get stuck there. Going to lose a lot of money between our flights and Airbnb.

Gutted.

But have to look at the big picture. A lot of people at risk over the coming weeks and months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Obertauern (near Salzburg) closes for the season on Sunday. They usually stay open until The end of April at least.

juke wrote: »
    Obertauern (near Salzburg) closes for the season on Sunday. They usually stay open until The end of April at least.

All of Salzburg area is closing from Sunday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Wow, glad I’m a Christmas skier. This will have some effect on local economies.

Austria is done for the season now. France are still open but I wonder for how long. Andora still going.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 slightybonkers

We are supposed to be going to the Grand Massif on Sunday. Looks like we won’t be going, it’s too uncertain. Things are shutting down so quickly and don’t want to get stuck there. Going to lose a lot of money between our flights and Airbnb.

Gutted.

But have to look at the big picture. A lot of people at risk over the coming weeks and months.

Airbnb should be able to refund some or all of your costs for accommodation...or maybe allow you to rebook for next season. It's worth a try.

We were due to travel to Mayrhofen tomorrow till Monday night but our accommodation has told us we can't come and will refund us fully.
    Hoping that our insurance will cover is for flights and transfers.

But if not, it's only money and that can cannot buy health.
    Stay safe and healthy and we look forward to next season.

Im in Austria and all Ill say is I cant wait to be home Saturday...

Safe journey home and try to stay at home when you get back. If you can at all.

Safe journey home and thanks a mill for all the info.

Kind Regards.

Safe journey home and try to stay at home when you get back. If you can at all.

I won’t be leaving the house for the foreseeable future once back

raymo19 wrote: »
    Thanks for that update Rew. I have decided not to go to bad Hofgastein on Saturday. I wonder is there any recourse in relation to hotel costs already paid if the ski resorts closes ?. Any further info on closures are greatly appreciated as there are alot of persons out there will be making a costly decision tomorrow.

Raymo.

Just to let you know Ryanair seem to have dropped the change fee on flights, I just changed our flights (4 people) to the same week next year for €110. Our accommodation have also moved our deposit to next year.

Just to let you know Ryanair seem to have dropped the change fee on flights, I just changed our flights (4 people) to the same week next year for €110. Our accommodation have also moved our deposit to next year.

I'm trying to change my ryanair flights online. Won't let me go past the selection of new flights. I have already checked in.
    My flights are to Munich, which they have no service to after 31 March 2020.. .
    Did you phone them?

• Advertisement

Ischgl and st Anton valleys just went full quarantine. No one coming home for 2 weeks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement