Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Stores Closing in Sligo **mod warning post #720**

Options
  • 19-12-2008 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭

So 2 Seasons are going which imo is very sad to see and if rumor on the street is to be believed then Currys are not to far behind. I even heard talk the one beginning with A (with a whole lot of fuss getting them here in the first place) it is not supposed to be doing so well.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I've been hearing this Curry's / PC World are closing rumour for the past 8 months..

.. I'll believe it when I see it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

Supposedly if there is a town/city with a currys and pc world or dixions then only the better performing store will remain open and the other will close.So if PC World is performing better than Currys in Sligo then Currys will close.
    I asked the employees of PC World if this was true but they said it was just a rumour!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

bennyc wrote: »
    So 2 Seasons are going which imo is very sad to see and if rumor on the street is to be believed then Currys are not to far behind. I even heard talk the one beginning with A (with a whole lot of fuss getting them here in the first place) it is not supposed to be doing so well.

It would not surprise me. I heard the "A...." stores elsewhere are performing much better than the one located on the outskirts of Sligo , even considering it only opened a month or so ago. Its too far out of town in Sligo.

Hope Currys does not go, but I fear Allendale + the 2 seasons will not be the end of closures up in Carraroe either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gino85

jimmmy wrote: »
    It would not surprise me. I heard the "A...." stores elsewhere are performing much better than the one located on the outskirts of Sligo , even considering it only opened a month or so ago. Its too far out of town in Sligo.

Hope Currys does not go, but I fear Allendale + the 2 seasons will not be the end of closures up in Carraroe either.

A.... is closer to the town than currys and pc world aint it? but i have heard the let a lot of staff go recently

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

The A store should have been at the Carraroe retail park. You would really have to want something from them to go there where they are at the moment.
    Whereas if they were at Carraroe there would be people visiting other stores that would call in and have a look.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Macroom Man

I spoke to a Chamber of Commerce person last week and she expects that there will be shop closures in Sligo after Christmas.
    Some outlets are struggling for a variety of reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

Harry Corry and Toy City are also rumoured to be packing up and going home. The lease for the premises up there are colossal. Way to go Sligo!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Harry Corry can be good so sad to see that go. But Toy City is horribly over-priced when compared to Smyth's.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Well, it's hardly surprising when you think about it

Any large purchases, are cheaper an hour's drive away.

All the same I'd hate to see the stores close up. Often seems like all the jobs in Sligo are in shops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

So what would be left in carraroe if all these shops closed? Halfords and carpet right?? I know things are bad but its hard to see the whole retail park going under.

• Advertisement

I don't think anyone should have reasonably expected a town the size of Sligo to support as much retail as is in it.

Certainly can't support more than it's got - empty shops all over town and just about everyone still open is struggling.

I read on sligotoday.com that Coopers have closed, not sure if thats permanent or temporary.
    Not a shop as such, but they are a Fiat and Alfa main dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

Sligo's closing down! Enniskillen is cheaper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

Them auld 4 monkies* saw/said/heard nothing
    but for a change ****** everything

Service industry economics!

When majority work in retail/service's, everything is based on credit

I get payed from my shop and go to yours
    You get payed from your shop and come to mine
    NO money is created, its just passed around
    Take out, taxes, morgage's, fuel&lights etc and the money getting passed around gets smaller and smaller unless we spend on credit

So i come to your shop on credit and you come to my shop on credit and everyone is happy until one thing goes wrong and then crash

This was always coming, (all)goverments always knew this was coming but if they did something to fix/prevent it years ago, they lose elections, so instead they buy votes with cheap jobs and cheaper promises

Everytime a goverment brags about creating jobs its a call centre or a shopping centre, bubble economy employment!

So after 2 booms we have new kitchens and shiny cars
    the hospitals and schools are as rubbish as they always were

Joy of joys
    Welcome home Ireland
    Im getting on the boat:mad::rolleyes:

*The see no evil hear no evil monkies were originally 4 not 3;)

Basically, the only thing that was keeping Ireland afloat was tourism - outside money coming in.

Too bad that's dried up now.

Last job I had, I was in accounts. We used to get invoices (overdue, mind. notice the fact that it was my last job, as in, I got sacked 'cause they didn't have any money) that had little stamps on them saying "please pay!"

One of the stamps said, "pay us, so we can pay them, and they can pay you!"

It was like an epiphany in payables.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

Xiney wrote: »
    Basically, the only thing that was keeping Ireland afloat was tourism - outside money coming in.

Too bad that's dried up now.

And tax breaks to forgien companies
    Tax breaks that the workers paid for, so they paid for their own jobs:o
    As predicted by Rosanne Barr in 80's no less!

It is however a good time to set up a business if you have an idea that doesnt involve selling furniture/shiny stuff

Time to break out the "boys from the black stuff" video's and start studying:eek:
    Last job I had, I was in accounts. We used to get invoices (overdue, mind. notice the fact that it was my last job, as in, I got sacked 'cause they didn't have any money) that had little stamps on them saying "please pay!"

One of the stamps said, "pay us, so we can pay them, and they can pay you!"

It was like an epiphany in payables.

Ya, I hate being right:rolleyes:

Quick (minor)economy fix!
    1. Cut taxes on low paid employees (they will spend the money)
    2. Cut taxes on drink in PUBS (get people out of their houses)
    1&2 not necessarily related!

Xiney, ul on losing the job:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCGcljqOSW0
    Ps. As far as towns to be unemployed in,
    Galway is not far off as good as it gets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

In Enniskillen, Argos and the other shops are all within some sort of walking distance of the town centre. Also, you can get parking there.

Who would want to go to Sligo ? Also, the govt in Sligo imposes 21.5% vat rate, versus only 15% up the road, creating an immediate disadvantage for Sligo. The minimum wage etc is all higher in Sligo. The govt does not want business to prosper in Sligo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

jimmmy wrote: »
    In Enniskillen, Argos and the other shops are all within some sort of walking distance of the town centre. Also, you can get parking there.

Who would want to go to Sligo ? Also, the govt in Sligo imposes 21.5% vat rate, versus only 15% up the road, creating an immediate disadvantage for Sligo. The minimum wage etc is all higher in Sligo. The govt does not want business to prosper in Sligo.

The govt does not want business to prosper in Sligo

A dress in Sligo yesterday priced at £45 or €70 - a exchange rate of 0.60 - suggests that the government cannot make things much worse than the Sligo shopkeepers alraedy have!

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

Zavvi will not sell a gift voucher or take an order anymore, SALES started today so bye bye Zavvi, bye bye Johnston Court walking down O Connell Street will not be the same without contemplating your wide open spaces.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

bobcar61 wrote: »
    Supposedly if there is a town/city with a currys and pc world or dixions then only the better performing store will remain open and the other will close.So if PC World is performing better than Currys in Sligo then Currys will close.
    I asked the employees of PC World if this was true but they said it was just a rumour!

I can't see that happening. If Currys were to go then that's the white goods market gone. Also currys have a better range of tvs and home electronics than pc world so you're losing out on range there if currys was to close. PC World has a much better range of computers, components and things like printer inks. Also the clinic in Sligo is one of the best performing clinics in the country.

DSG also spent a lot of money on a new training session that pretty much every employee in the country had to attend. If we were closing in January then that training session wouldn't have happened. So pc world and currys should be ok for the foreseeable future unless something major happens.

Oh and Dixons are gone already. They've been rebranded as part of currys.

• Advertisement

Zavvi will not sell a gift voucher or take an order anymore, SALES started today so bye bye Zavvi, bye bye Johnston Court walking down O Connell Street will not be the same without contemplating your wide open spaces.

I really hope thats not true. I really like that shop and Johnston Court have done a lovely job this Christmas with all the decorations and the free Santa.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

magnumlady wrote: »
    I really hope thats not true. I really like that shop and Johnston Court have done a lovely job this Christmas with all the decorations and the free Santa.

It could be. Apparently they've been hit badly with this whole deal with woolworths. They are also selling the ps3 and xbox360 below the rrp. In most cases these prices are set by the manufacturer so shops rarely sell below it. It could be a desperate bid to off load the stock. Still though I was in there Sunday and it was really busy.

My goodness

the only store worth visiting in Johnston Court is going.

My goodness

the only store worth visiting in Johnston Court is going.
    Ah come on now. There was a stall just outside the three store that tried to sell me salt for €90 a few months back. Can't beat a bargain like that.

was it that dead sea salt stuff with the really pushy employees that practically assault you running out to "ask you a question"?

was it that dead sea salt stuff with the really pushy employees that practically assault you running out to "ask you a question"?
    Yeah it was that magical crap. In fairness I really wrecked her head. I got her to explain the advantages this stuff had over table salt and a load of crap like that. She eventually copped it that I was taking the piss when I asked her was it any good on chips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

I got rounded on by them in Dublin in a shoppin centre.

Bought if for my sis for xmas.

Saying that, as a mechanic it didnt half take the crap off my hands!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

I heard today that Zavvi are closing down aswell,its a shame to see it go:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

I can't see that happening. If Currys were to go then that's the white goods market gone. Also currys have a better range of tvs and home electronics than pc world so you're losing out on range there if currys was to close. PC World has a much better range of computers, components and things like printer inks. Also the clinic in Sligo is one of the best performing clinics in the country.

DSG also spent a lot of money on a new training session that pretty much every employee in the country had to attend. If we were closing in January then that training session wouldn't have happened. So pc world and currys should be ok for the foreseeable future unless something major happens.

Oh and Dixons are gone already. They've been rebranded as part of currys.

Looks like Currys might be going. Rumor is that they can't compete with the Currys in the north with the exchange rate, prices in general and the proximity of the border.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Don't know if it's been mentioned already but Heatons are not coming to sligo now either. No shock really.

Advertisement