Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Stores Closing in Sligo **mod warning post #720**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭tinpib

Cait and I the craft shop beside Cosgroves deli at Market Cross have closed their unit, sign up in the window saying they have moved exclusively online.

Probably makes a lot of sense, hopefully it goes well for them.

https://caitandi.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 8 rider

Cafe Fleur only O'Connell Street have closed permanently. They have also removed their social media profiles.
    Shame as it was the best coffee in Sligo.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

rider wrote: »
    Cafe Fleur only O'Connell Street have closed permanently. They have also removed their social media profiles.
    Shame as it was the best coffee in Sligo.

Definitely the nicest deli/sandwiches in my opinion.
    I wonder if that'll be Des out off the Chamber of Commerce too?

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭mickwat155

Alfie's barbershop have called it a day and won't be reopening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

mickwat155 wrote: »
    Alfie's barbershop have called it a day and won't be reopening.

Real shame to hear that, wish Alfie the best in his retirement, an awful lot of barbers popped up in sligo in last few years.

• Advertisement

Definitely the nicest deli/sandwiches in my opinion.
    I wonder if that'll be Des out off the Chamber of Commerce too?

That's very disappointing to hear, great food and always lovely shop front and displays. Loss to o Connell street.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

promethius wrote: »
    Real shame to hear that, wish Alfie the best in his retirement, an awful lot of barbers popped up in sligo in last few years.

I guess they enjoyed their time at home so much the decided to retire and they are dead right beat of luck to them both.
    I will miss the chats with both Alfie and Mary great people.sadly this model of barbers is no longer in sligo.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

That's very disappointing to hear, great food and always lovely shop front and displays. Loss to o Connell street.

its a pity another local business gone yet the town is flooded with faceless multinational coffee shops.
    Sligo was in a bad place as a bussiness town before covid but I do think its in huge bother now our famous chamber of commerce and our county council need to be see and herd now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

sligono1 wrote: »
    its a pity another local business gone yet the town is flooded with faceless multinational coffee shops.
    Sligo was in a bad place as a bussiness town before covid but I do think its in huge bother now our famous chamber of commerce and our county council need to be see and herd now.

And the correlation between coffee shops and barbers is?

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Scarlet42

Anyone know where to go for instant photo printing with Photofast gone and Boots kiosks closed?

Markievicz Pharmacy on Markievicz Road do them and the quality is very good .. they used to do 100 prints for 15 euros

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

And the correlation between coffee shops and barbers is?

I imagine they were referring to the closure of Cafe Fleur, not Alfie's.

sligono1 wrote: »

If it was bad before, the mess they've made of parking on Castle Street now is truly something to behold :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

If it was bad before, the mess they've made of parking on Castle Street now is truly something to behold :eek:

It's great. They've taken away less than 10 parking spots and given people loads of space to walk and queue during COVID and room for benches, other street furniture and a contra flow bike lane after COVID. Sligo people should be proud of the council taking such pro active steps like this and in Stephen St to give space to the people of the town. We all saw the potential of what could be when the fleadh was here. Not every weekend can be the fleadh, but the streets are so alive when you remove SUVs from them and give them back to people.

A temporary solution with planters or a permanent solution like O'Connell St would be a great addition to that street and hopefully will attract people onto it and businesses into the empty shops too.

As I was saying earlier, on street parking is a waste of valuable space. You want people to have a town that's worth staying in, not popping in and out as fast as you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭shanec1928

It's great. They've taken away less than 10 parking spots and given people loads of space to walk and queue during COVID and room for benches, other street furniture and a contra flow bike lane after COVID. Sligo people should be proud of the council taking such pro active steps like this and in Stephen St to give space to the people of the town. We all saw the potential of what could be when the fleadh was here. Not every weekend can be the fleadh, but the streets are so alive when you remove SUVs from them and give them back to people.

A temporary solution with planters or a permanent solution like O'Connell St would be a great addition to that street and hopefully will attract people onto it and businesses into the empty shops too.

As I was saying earlier, on street parking is a waste of valuable space. You want people to have a town that's worth staying in, not popping in and out as fast as you can.
    :pac: its a lot more than 10 spaces.. plus all the shops on castle street that are open and have queues are the other side of the street so it was a pointless waste of money removing disabled, parking and loading bays.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 495 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

It’s a complete joke removing those parking spaces and loading bays. Email was sent out on Saturday and they began implementing them on the Sunday. I work in grattan street and most of the businesses were not consulted on this. Absolute farce

shanec1928 wrote: »
    :pac: its a lot more than 10 spaces.. plus all the shops on castle street that are open and have queues are the other side of the street so it was a pointless waste of money removing disabled, parking and loading bays.

Sorry, just did a quick check on Google Maps for Castle St.

1 disabled bay
    6/7 cars
    6/7 loading that are mostly filled with cars.
    5 long term vacant units on Castle St, with loads more at Market Cross and Grattan St.

People shouldn't be allowed to take up valuable street space with something as huge as their SUV while they are getting their 'bits' and it's clear that as of right now that having parking right there isn't supporting businesses.

Sligo has absolutely tons of parking. Tons. We love it so much that when you come out of the town hall and see the beautiful seascape, we decided to put some in front of the Harp Tavern and the Ship Inn.
    People just have a weird obsession with on street parking and the Wine St car park. The space we use for on street parking can be used much much better than just for people to store their cars.

If businesses need loading bays, fine. Take away the parking at Lady Erin and turn that into a loading bay. Put back in the Disabled space as there are people who can't walk the 100m to Abbey St Car Park.

We are talking about 6/7 parking spaces here.

https://www.fastcompany.com/3067515/why-local-businesses-shouldnt-worry-about-eliminating-on-street-parking

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

Sligo has absolutely tons of parking. Tons.

This. This can't be stated enough. The commercial "core" ( between Adelaide st. and Bridge st) of the town is barely 500m across, and I'd wager that currently nowhere in the town is more than 200m away from a car park.

I'm still of the opinion that the entire town centre should be pedestrianised. Doing so would be much more disabled friendly as there would be more area for them to navigate around, rather than having a space outside a shop, whilst still having to use the narrow footpaths currently in place.

I'm still of the opinion that the entire town centre should be pedestrianised.

100%, just we need two way cycling access to make that the preferred way people get around town. A streetscape like O'Connell Street but reserved for buses, bicycles and pedestrians only would be lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Sligored

halfords closed for good

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Sligored wrote: »
    halfords closed for good

That's a shame, I can't think of anywhere that caters for caravanning in the area now.Was there an announcement?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Sligored wrote: »
    halfords closed for good

shame, I had my doubts it were ever going to open up again when all the other stores up there were opening up and there were no mention of them ever opening again. for the benefits of peoples livelyhoods I do hope the staff up there find another job OK ... for my own personal benefit and the benefits of others in Sligo who found the store very handy that maybe an independant store along the same lines of products what Halfords sold could open up somewhere in sligo , even if it was not placed in the retail park - the rent must be a killer up there for them units

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭DenMan

That's an awful pity about Halfords. They had nice staff working in there and only last January I had to get a light bulb for my car before the NCT and the chap put it in when it was snowing. I wonder was the decision made in the UK. They may have looked at their stores and felt which one had the smallest customer reach and town population and decided to close the Sligo branch unfortunately. They will be missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

DenMan wrote: »
    That's an awful pity about Halfords. They had nice staff working in there and only last January I had to get a light bulb for my car before the NCT and the chap put it in when it was snowing. I wonder was the decision made in the UK. They may have looked at their stores and felt which one had the smallest customer reach and town population and decided to close the Sligo branch unfortunately. They will be missed.

yep very good helpful staff - nothing was too much bother i found and on a couple of occasions I had to take a couple of things back (my error) and they took it back no quibbles and exchanged it for the right item - twas a lovely store to browse around and pick things up and look at the labels and everything and such a wide selection of stuff , dont get me wrong the other motor factors are very good in sligo too but there was just something extra good about that store up at the retail park and very handy and very good/handy to get too , price-wise, on the whole not too bad some things a little more pricey maybe than what you could buy from the motor factors for but still priced competitively on most stuff.
    Nearest hafords store now is Galway I suppose now isnt it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭johnire

There’s one in Longford in the retail park where Argos is as far as I know.
    yep very good helpful staff - nothing was too much bother i found and on a couple of occasions I had to take a couple of things back (my error) and they took it back no quibbles and exchanged it for the right item - twas a lovely store to browse around and pick things up and look at the labels and everything and such a wide selection of stuff , dont get me wrong the other motor factors are very good in sligo too but there was just something extra good about that store up at the retail park and very handy and very good/handy to get too , price-wise, on the whole not too bad some things a little more pricey maybe than what you could buy from the motor factors for but still priced competitively on most stuff.
    Nearest hafords store now is Galway I suppose now isnt it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

johnire wrote: »
    There’s one in Longford in the retail park where Argos is as far as I know.

Longford or Letterkenny. There was one in Castlebar, but similar to Sligo, it's showing as Closed on the website as well, wonder if they've shut that one as well?

https://www.halfords.ie/locations

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭DenMan

Longford is open according to their website. Castlebar, Cavan and Letterkenny are all closed according to it. I hope they're not permanently closed too. I got my my bicycle fixed in Letterkenny three years ago. Great guys and had it done for me in a few hours in the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭shanec1928

DenMan wrote: »
    on ocean this morning it was said the lease was up at the end of the month and couldnt make a deal for it. they will hardly look for another location in sligo i guess, it was handy to get certain bits and pieces in there. 5l of screen wash in particular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Tired Gardener

https://www.rte.ie/amp/1146519/

Passed by 2 weeks ago in the Quayside shopping centre and Monsoon & Accessorize are gone.

Never anything good in there, but another blow to Sligo town.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭mickwat155

Jalan Jalan have ceased trading

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

mickwat155 wrote: »
    Jalan Jalan have ceased trading

If true it would prob be more suited to this thread...
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055444610&page=154

Hope it's not true tho, they did lovely food & were always busy.

Source?

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Confirmed!)

Advertisement