Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Shop Maynooth

• 27-02-2012 4:59pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭

There is a huge new euro shop between Maxi Zoo and Boots.
    It is pretty good too:)

I have to say it is nice seeing new shops opening up locally.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Now if only Penney's would hurry up and take old tesco's so I can clothe my kids cheaply :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Seeing as they just renewed the permission to let them knock the old one (which was reported as permission to knock the NEW one :rolleyes:) there's a good chance that something else could go in there.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

There is a new ladies clothes shop over by the post office too.
    Tesco has a sale on kids clothes at the moment:)
    I am hoping for a Pennys too.

In the property paper a few wees ago I read there is going to be a new cafe bar in Maynooth,anyone have any info on it?

I thought that was rejected by the council.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Nope, apparently it is under way but it did not say where.

• Advertisement

What paper said this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Staplor

The bistro place under Manor Mills looks a bit like a cafe bar, tasty breakfast too.

Orion wrote: »
    What paper said this?
    Indo I think I still have it at home. I will check.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Tesco are doing half price on a lot of cleaning products too. Spring clean.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The cafebar is going to the derelict house / building site beside Reilly/Merrick's dentists. The site across Doctors Lane behind it is to become a pay car park.

I would think permission might have been given as the council need that carpark to be there for their pay parking plans!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

MYOB wrote: »
    The cafebar is going to the derelict house / building site beside Reilly/Merrick's dentists. The site across Doctors Lane behind it is to become a pay car park.

I would think permission might have been given as the council need that carpark to be there for their pay parking plans!

Anything is better than that derelict house, it looks so ugly.

The Euro store was packed yesterday when I popped my head in. Pity the pet section isn't bigger though, the one on the main street is better. Great to have it all the same.

Clare Bear wrote: »
    Anything is better than that derelict house, it looks so ugly.

The Euro store was packed yesterday when I popped my head in. Pity the pet section isn't bigger though, the one on the main street is better. Great to have it all the same.

It has a pet section and is next to Maxi Zoo? One of the three (them + the main street) is going to go in that case, there is no way the market for that.

Don't suppose you're here long enough to remember the PTSB house being derelict for years, the house at the end of the street opposite the girls school being derelict for years and Rebel Pizza / Royal City being a burnt out shell? That was just a selection of the wide array of dereliction we had in the town centre!

I still can not picture the location..
    When I am down there tomorrow will keep an eye out.

MYOB - is that a very long time ago?

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I still can not picture the location..
    When I am down there tomorrow will keep an eye out.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=maynooth&hl=en&ll=53.381968,-6.589619&spn=0.002237,0.006748&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=18.199598,55.283203&hnear=Maynooth,+County+Kildare,+Ireland&t=h&z=18&layer=c&cbll=53.381928,-6.589765&panoid=zCihs1RvnmZF1v3xERPPJQ&cbp=12,167.12,,0,4.8
    MYOB - is that a very long time ago?

Prior to 1998 or so anyway. Think the house down by the girls school was derelict later than that though.

You've not lived in Maynooth long enough if you can't remember the smell of the mart. And I'm not even from here!

Looks very small to be a cafe bar.
    I pass it every day and even looking at it a derelict house on that corner seems new to me.

We only moved here about 2 years ago.

I didn't know that there was a mart here,

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Oh god the mart :eek: had totally forgotten bout that!!

Looks very small to be a cafe bar.
    I pass it every day and even looking at it a derelict house on that corner seems new to me.

Site goes all the way back to Doctors Lane - it's as deep as three or four units.
    I didn't know that there was a mart here,

Where the current Tesco is. The original Tesco was towards the front of the uncovered car park - the "old" Tesco (Quinnsworth, O'Briens) is the "new" Tesco to anyone here pre-2001.

it is probably one the few towns in Ireland where there is ample scope for a new pub
    Tell that to Mantra and Caulfields who are both in receivership. To Brady's which is half-empty even on big match days and to the Glenroyal which is in NAMA.

• Advertisement

Didn't know Caulfields was in receivership. Glenroyal was allegedly a performing asset compared to other Grehan properties but the repeated closure/reopening/rebranding of the nightclub showed it was having problems on that front too.

The Newtown Inn is generally empty also.

Actually I think Caulfields is in examinership not receivership. It has been for well over a year now.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭crazyginlady

Ah the mart . The smell was something else ! Poped my head into the euro shop today and picked up a ton of cleaning poducts for a tenner :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Buffman

I was in the euro shop today, nice addition to the centre.

The cattle mart brings back memories alright! I remember being able to get a pot of tea with your dinner. Nice fresh steak too!:D

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Teaandcoffee

Hi guys, is the new Euro Store in the Manor Mills Center or down at Tecso?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Hi guys, is the new Euro Store in the Manor Mills Center or down at Tecso?

At Tesco, near Maxi Zoo.

I see a new Veterinary clinic has gone up there too, over near the post office.

There's now planning apps in for TWO takeaways at Greenfield and Newtown S/Cs (Seeing as this has turned in to the "new shops in Maynooth" thread.

Can't see either getting approved to be honest. Although a general takeaway in Newtown might do OK with the amount of student accom around.

There is planning permission in for a chinese takeaway beside xtra vision.
    There is no way that the shopping centre can cope with more traffic or another take away open at 3am on weekdays.
    They got the planning permisiion to buld an extra 2 units in Greenfield shopping centre but tbh I have no idea what I want to go in there.

I love the new euro shop:)

The other permission is for the empty unit (formerly a pound shop, formerly a video shop, formerly a butchers if my memory of that centre is right) at Newtown S/C for an undefined type of takeaway.

The original permission applied for Greenfield in the late 1990s or so was to build a second storey on the entire centre! Too old to be on KCC's public planning system. The permission for the second of the two new units was revoked on request: http://webgis.kildarecoco.ie/PlanningEnquiryLIte/Default.aspx?FullFileNumber=06a-11209&FromList=true

• Advertisement

Riverside Bistro closed in the last two weeks - seems the demand for food outlets in the town has been met already. That unit has never done well, the previous tenant (Kens) also closed; and the units closer never opened as their intended use.

Although there appears to be another cafe going in where the Esquires was (right beside the inner entrance for Riverside) in Manor Mills.

Advertisement