Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Creole Restaurant in Dominick Street (Beside Cava)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

listenup wrote: »
    was nothing to do with this place its related to the Mauritian restaurant which was short lived above murty rabbits pub opened up end of last year closed already

Fixed your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

This place just served me one of the most disappointing plates of food I have ever had in a restaurant in Galway.

I had the baby back ribs, GF had jambalaya.
    If you've ever had the 3 euro ribs in tesco, you've had nicer and more tender ribs than here. Seriously. Just plain bad. Served with a bland corn on the cob.

If you're serving ribs as a big feature of your menu, then they really need to be quality. Falling off the bone. Oscars rib starter would be an example of ribs done right. These were tough, unpleasant. The jumbalaya again was tesco ready meal stuff.

Really disappointing plate of food. I am wondering if I just got a bad night because of the glowing reviews here.
    Regardless I won't be returning. No qualms with the service, restaurant etc. Just the food was a huge let down.

That your review on yelp?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 whiterhino

Everyone has their off days but from what I experienced it was not about an off day more of like people not having a clue what they are doing with the cuisine, very inexperienced. You need to have experience with the culture to be able to cook their cuisine properly. My favourite restaurant so far is Cava, and no im not working there (wish I was though) imagine being able to conjure up something like that at a dinner party ;) . Have to try Aniar next when can afford my next adventure, lol Restaurants beware I know what good food should taste like!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

whiterhino wrote: »
    Everyone has their off days but from what I experienced it was not about an off day more of like people not having a clue what they are doing with the cuisine, very inexperienced. You need to have experience with the culture to be able to cook their cuisine properly. My favourite restaurant so far is Cava, and no im not working there (wish I was though) imagine being able to conjure up something like that at a dinner party ;) . Have to try Aniar next when can afford my next adventure, lol Restaurants beware I know what good food should taste like!
    Interesting that your fav is Cava and you mention Aniar and they just happen to be nextdoor to Creole, im gonna call shill! :rolleyes:

Interesting that your fav is Cava and you mention Aniar and they just happen to be nextdoor to Creole, im gonna call shill! :rolleyes:

Ah, I reckon the lads in Cava are better than that to be honest, although, this person types as if English isn't their primary language, so it could easily be one of the lads spanish employees gone rogue or something.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Seaneh wrote: »
    Ah, I reckon the lads in Cava are better than that to be honest, although, this person types as if English isn't their primary language, so it could easily be one of the lads spanish employees gone rogue or something.

With only 3 posts you have to suspect the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Might have to stop going to Cava if the food snobs are starting to frequent there. I don't want to be sitting next to some person spouting off about the 'exquisite texture' their Patatas Bravas while spitting wine into a bucket after they have sampled its 'bouqet'.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Might have to stop going to Cava if the food snobs are starting spitting wine into a bucket after they have sampled its 'bouqet'.

OMG I can no longer face Cava what with all the serial spitting you describe and from people who know not what a Bouquet is to boot.

I might try that Creole for a change, at least they don't spit in there. :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Saruman wrote: »
    That your review on yelp?

Nope. Not a yelper. Didn't realise Galway was covered!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Lol at the cries of 'shill'!

Couldn't be that the food is just crap could it?

I've been, and I won't be back. Overpriced, and less tasty than a microwaveable meal for one from Tesco.

Had the jamalaya and ribs, both were disappointing, ribs especially so, how hard is it for a southern food place to do tender ribs? That should be the first thing they get right!

I have to disagree with whiterino on one thing though, Cava's used to be amazing but has let quality slip since they got a reputation. Seems a lot of restaurants in Galway are coasting on a decent reputation no longer earned.

The few exceptions in my opinion are Rouge and Oscars (now THAT's how you cook ribs!).

• Advertisement

Lol at the cries of 'shill'!

Couldn't be that the food is just crap could it?

I've been, and I won't be back. Overpriced, and less tasty than a microwaveable meal for one from Tesco.

Had the jamalaya and ribs, both were disappointing, ribs especially so, how hard is it for a southern food place to do tender ribs? That should be the first thing they get right!

I have to disagree with whiterino on one thing though, Cava's used to be amazing but has let quality slip since they got a reputation. Seems a lot of restaurants in Galway are coasting on a decent reputation no longer earned.

The few exceptions in my opinion are Rouge and Oscars (now THAT's how you cook ribs!).
    The evidence points to a case of shill-ery! Havent been to Creole as it doesnt appeal hugely to me but i know people who have gone and enjoyed it, not saying its not bad though just based on that. But the person in question only recommended the 2 places nextdoor, a blind man can see this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Might have to stop going to Cava if the food snobs are starting spitting wine into a bucket after they have sampled its 'bouqet'.

OMG I can no longer face Cava what with all the serial spitting you describe and from people who know not what a Bouquet is to boot.

I might try that Creole for a change, at least they don't spit in there. :)

And even if they do it would be more in keeping with the theme of the restaurant. Think I might join you some night. Those other places our new critic mentioned seem like they are full of shil.

JP dude. If you are reading try and find that person and keep them under control.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭tribesman78

Six of us went to Creole last week and ever one of us enjoyed or meal. We had the three courses with a mix of everthing from the menu. The steaks for me have been the best i have had i Galway so far. Frien had the Ribs and they were lovely, massive portion and tasty. I always go for the steak when heading out but am tempted to have ribs when i go back and i will be going back some time. The only downside i had and it wasn't to bad was the missysippi mud pie. It wasn't really missysippi mud pie more like a hot muffin, which was nice but if i had know would have got something different.

On a side note recently tried to eat in Blakes but it was full, so ended up in McSwiggins and this place has really gone backwards imo. Steak was overcooked and never a 9oz. Service was terrible on the night. Won't be going back there in a hurry.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Nope. Not a yelper. Didn't realise Galway was covered!

Very weird.... Yesterday I looked it up on yelp to see if there was a review. There was one and it was a copy/paste job of your post/review.

However on checking now, it's gone.
    If it was not you then I guess someone copied your review on boards and stuck it on yelp and is keeping tabs on this thread because when I mentioned it was on yelp yesterday, it's now been deleted..... interesting.

**edit**
    Found it by googling for the link above and using the google cached copy.
    Kyle W. in Galway on 30/6/2012 (day after yours). And it's no longer there. I attached a screenshot.

All a bit odd. Perhaps the reviewer in question is lifting reviews and using them as their own?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

so now you seem to be going from their "bad food" to them being very inexperienced both in the cuisine and their culture.

As opposed to Cava where they can throw up a bowl of fried spuds with sauce on them and an omelette and you think its FAB. :D

Not that there is anything wrong with Cava - its great, but so is Creole.

I think Creole may be a bit of competition for you yes/no? :p

To be fair, as much circumstantial evidence as there is that waterrhino is a shill, there are a lot of people who have expressed similar opinions to me about creole.

A friend who I had dinner with last week was saying she was there the week before and she wouldn't be going back. Apparently the beef rib was dire and the sides were bland. She'd eat out on average 1 or two times a week and has a pretty good knowledge of food.

Several friends had who are chefs have said similar, the jambalaya was the only thing they thought was half decent, they all complained about the prok ribs being tough and dry.

When it opened I wanted to go but after the amount of negative reviews from friends who's opinion I'd trust I'm not push any more.

Was going to split the 22oz steak and a few sides with a mate as I love flank but now that that's gone, there's nothing that appeals to me.

Seaneh wrote: »
    To be fair, as much circumstantial evidence as there is that waterrhino is a shill, there are a lot of people who have expressed similar opinions to me about creole.

A friend who I had dinner with last week was saying she was there the week before and she wouldn't be going back. Apparently the beef rib was dire and the sides were bland. She'd eat out on average 1 or two times a week and has a pretty good knowledge of food.

Several friends had who are chefs have said similar, the jambalaya was the only thing they thought was half decent, they all complained about the prok ribs being tough and dry.

When it opened I wanted to go but after the amount of negative reviews from friends who's opinion I'd trust I'm not push any more.

Was going to split the 22oz steak and a few sides with a mate as I love flank but now that that's gone, there's nothing that appeals to me.

seaneh, I'd say you should try it yourself first before making judgement. otherwise your opinion is only heresay.

seaneh, I'd say you should try it yourself first before making judgement. otherwise your opinion is only heresay.

Ah yeah, just saying, waterrhino isn't the first person to say it wasn't great is all...

The flank is still on their menu...
    Might give them a call and see what the story is.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 whiterhino

Seems like on here is only people from these restaurants bigging thereselves off and slaging off others!:mad: Creole is lame full stop and I voiced my appreciation for the quality of food in Cava. There are many other good places, The Huntsman Inn gets my vote for best bistro in Galway. Is funny how the only people who say that Creole is great is the same, coincidence or what. Lol id rather go into somewhere where people care about the quality of the food rather than the couple of euro difference in the price.

Plus if you know anything about food tapas is shared so it actually works out cheaper if you do it right. WTF is a shill:eek:? If you think that paying for dog food is appropriate, then by all means eat in Creole:pac:. Or if your so worried bout a few euro difference go to McDonalds for yourself! Did you not read any other critics review of this restaurant clearly you must have.

I have a right to give an honest opinion and I was asked to recomend a decent option so I picked the safest one possible being Cava. There are many more too like The Pier in Barna, Oscar's and Rouge

Seems like on here is only people from these restaurants bigging thereselves off and slaging off others!:mad:

I have a right to give an honest opinion and I was asked to recomend a decent option so I picked the safest one possible being Cava. There are many more too like The Pier in Barna, Oscar's and Rouge

Who asked you to "recommend a decent option", your boss???

• Advertisement

If Creole keeps serving up what they served me they'll not be around long tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Just wondering Dr B if you complained on the night ?

If im out and the food isnt good then i let them know, in a polite manner, being honest if im paying top whack for a meal out i would expect at min the food to be properly prepared and fresh.

As a rule of thumb id expect everything i get to be way better then i could do myself at home otherwise theres no point going out.

Havent tried creole yet but love their type of food, might give it a miss now though.

They asked me how everything was as I was paying.

I shrugged and said "Not great to be honest".

They didn't press me any further on the issue.

You know me. Miserable bastard at the best of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Thats not a good sign, as a retailer myself i would be very interested in finding out why the customer wasnt happy and see if we could correct it. i would also be trying hard to get you back again to ensure that you have a good experience.

It could be that the person you paid just wasnt interested and if someone took the time to tell me that they werent happy with something I really appreciate it.

Might be no harm to let the owners know.

Seems like on here is only people from these restaurants bigging thereselves off and slaging off others!:mad: Creole is lame full stop and I voiced my appreciation for the quality of food in Cava. There are many other good places, The Huntsman Inn gets my vote for best bistro in Galway. Is funny how the only people who say that Creole is great is the same, coincidence or what. Lol id rather go into somewhere where people care about the quality of the food rather than the couple of euro difference in the price.

Plus if you know anything about food tapas is shared so it actually works out cheaper if you do it right. WTF is a shill:eek:? If you think that paying for dog food is appropriate, then by all means eat in Creole:pac:. Or if your so worried bout a few euro difference go to McDonalds for yourself! Did you not read any other critics review of this restaurant clearly you must have.

wither, most people know how to order at a tapas bar.

Just wondering if you went into Cava tomorrow and they were having an "off" day, would you slate them. If the style of food was lovely but may have been a bit too spicy for YOUR taste - would you slate them.

Your "hatred" of Creole seems way over the top -especially as you have only eaten there once. The people on here have usually eaten in places the post on MORE THAN ONCE especially if they don't like the place.

That's the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭tribesman78

Well i'm booked to go back in this weekend. At least 6 of us going so i will give a review of the food and service after the weekend. I am a qualified chef(and no i dont work for creole i am now out of that line of work), so to say the food is as bad as some are saying is a bit off the mark, but we will see the weekend. I am intruiged to see if the food differs now the second time. Hope not as i really enjoyed my first experience.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Your "hatred" of Creole seems way over the top -especially as you have only eaten there once. The people on here have usually eaten in places the post on MORE THAN ONCE especially if they don't like the place.

Why on earth would you go back to a place you got a bad meal? Bizarre.

I wouldn't describe WR's opinion as 'hatred', it was a factual account of his opinion as far as I can see. The fervent defence of this restaurant is far more suspicious in my opinion.

Why on earth would you go back to a place you got a bad meal? Bizarre.

I wouldn't describe WR's opinion as 'hatred', it was a factual account of his opinion as far as I can see. The fervent defence of this restaurant is far more suspicious in my opinion.
    Noone is defending it, they are simply calling into question a very over the top bad review of a place which just happened to be a first post and then subsequently recommended the two closest restaurants while again referring the original restaurant's food as 'dog food'.

But yeah if you think everyone else here all just happen to work for Creole then go with it.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭RichT

Originally Posted by whiterhino
    Seems like on here is only people from these restaurants bigging thereselves off and slaging off others!

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    We might take you seriously had you posted a decent review of a restaurant you actually like ...instead of starting your boards career by slagging someone off anonymously.

In fairness to Whiterhino, if his initial post was one to write a rave review about a restaurant, I think the shout of SHILL would have been even louder!

• Advertisement

RichT wrote: »
    In fairness to Whiterhino, if his initial post was one to write a rave review about a restaurant, I think the shout of SHILL would have been even louder!

They would have been banned for spamming by Boards in that case. :)

See > http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/banlist.php

Advertisement