Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Creole Restaurant in Dominick Street (Beside Cava)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Cathal01

That's what I expected, but all I got was some diced tomato.....which isn't very interesting.

I wouldn't even have minded if the actual rice had tasted of something. But it had no seasoning whatsoever, just some tomato. Anyways other people have said the place is good and the manager said they've had no complaints so I'd urge others to make up their own minds. But I was not served Creole food, or even a tasty Westernized version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

I ate here on Thursday night and I must say it was delicious and a great atmosphere. The most enjoyable meal out I've had in Galway.

Had the deep fried mushrooms starter, very tasty. Half chargrilled chicken, half shrimp skewer for main. The only disappointment of the night was the shrimp, very tough. The main came on a board with a great selection of bits... small bowl of mixed beans, half a corn-on-the-cob, chips, olives, salad.. Then for desert had the Bananas Foster - delicious!

All enjoyed with a bottle of Helvick golden ale from the Dungarvan Brewing Company. A man on another table requested a pint of guinness and the owner/manager actually went into the pub next door to bring back a pint!

The place was full at 9pm, so book in advance.
    bensweeney wrote: »
    is there a website?

Yes you can see the full menu up here: www.creole.ie
    (there's combo deals that aren't shown here, early draft of the menu I'd say)
    Cheers for the recommendation, OP. It looks lovely. Is there actually jazz nights in there as promised by the slogan outside? I definitely wouldn't miss that.

We went Thursday as it's jazz on Thursday and Sunday nights. It was this guy (regular shop street busker) playing sax;

5593523076_5a401c8a61_m.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Was there on Tuesday.

Have to say it was one of the nicest feeds I've had in a long time.

Will defo be going back.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

This place just served me one of the most disappointing plates of food I have ever had in a restaurant in Galway.

I had the baby back ribs, GF had jambalaya.
    If you've ever had the 3 euro ribs in tesco, you've had nicer and more tender ribs than here. Seriously. Just plain bad. Served with a bland corn on the cob.

If you're serving ribs as a big feature of your menu, then they really need to be quality. Falling off the bone. Oscars rib starter would be an example of ribs done right. These were tough, unpleasant. The jumbalaya again was tesco ready meal stuff.

Really disappointing plate of food. I am wondering if I just got a bad night because of the glowing reviews here.
    Regardless I won't be returning. No qualms with the service, restaurant etc. Just the food was a huge let down.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Went there with the girlfriend in May. I had the BBQ chicken and fries. It was awesome. Really liked it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭magztar

Must try them out,seen in the advertiser they have an outdoor area just opened

• Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Jamey

Best restaurant in Galway at the minute. Have been there 3 times and have had three different dishes off the menu and they were amazing each time. The type of cuisine they're doing is quite unique in a town where many restaurants are too similar.

Much tastier overall and better value than it's very overrated neighbour, Cava.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

Cathal01 wrote: »
    I had dinner there earlier and was so disappointed. My friend had two starters (crab cakes and fried okra). The crab cakes really tasted of nothing but unseasoned mashed potato, and the okra was almost obnoxious. Tiny okra surrounded by balloons of greasy pastry, with a tasteless mayonnaise. I had a shrimp and okra gumbo which was so bland, it really tasted like bad home cooking. It came with "dirty rice" which was just boiled white rice with some diced tomato and again even for rice, it was bland! I had to ask for the corn bread that was supposed to come with it, and was given a tiny sliver. My gumbo was 13 quid, extremely overpriced in terms of portion size, flavour and quality.

I know new restaurants need time to work out the kinks but I was really surprised at how poor the food was.

Thats very surprising - I went to Creole only last night with three of my friends - the dirty rice is choc full of corn, scallions, kidney, liver, tomatoes - it certainly did not just consist of tomatoes. It was excellent - very spicy and very very tasty (don't let the kidney/liver put you off - it is fab). One of our party also had the fishcakes which were excellent. Just for the record, this is what our party had

fishcakes (excellent)
    Chicken Wings (hot, spicy and best in Galway - comes with fab salad)
    Shrimp and Dip Cocktail - excellent - made people want shrimp for mains.

Catfish/dirty rice - beautiful fish
    catfish/sweet potato fries - fries excellent
    Shrimp/dirty rice - shrimp to die for, dirty rice excellent
    Baby Back ribs - large slab of ribs placed on board - huge portion - beautiful but couldn't be finished,

A few corn on the cobs and corn bread also - cornbread nice but had better (in New Orleans).

Pecan Cheesecake - sinful
    mississippie mud pie - filling and rich
    ice creams - do die for
    bananas foster - never had it, sweet, but scrum my

Would definitely return to this restaurant - it represents great value for money - the food is quite different - top class.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Private Joker

Sounds like my type of restaurant , wish i could try it

forever_alone_by_foreveraloneplz.png

• Registered Users Posts: 20 whiterhino

I feel this restaurant lacks flair and creativity and the taste is somewhat bland of most dishes. Looking at the above I cant understand how every dish on the menu is perfect.

The Jumbolaya is overcooked, mushy and the meat is tasteless with no seasoning.
    The Steak was not seasoned properly and comes poorly presented on a wooden chopping board which looks really tacky and awfull.
    The Gumbo tastes like a cheap version of a curry thickened stock with a roue how cheap.

The desserts I found were lacking flair and creativity too. Presentation sucks

Presentation of the dishes is terrible, I have never seen such mess on a plate.

However this place is busy most nights of the week due to everything else but the qualty of food, maybee the atmousphere or just because its new and in time will be empty. Is a shame an idea with such potential is wasted with cheap taky ideas like serving food off a wooden chopping board or cooking rish to resemble mash potatoe.

I Give Creole a 3/10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,963 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

whiterhino wrote: »
    I feel this restaurant lacks flair and creativity and the taste is somewhat bland of most dishes. Looking at the above I cant understand how every dish on the menu is perfect.

The Steak was not seasoned properly and comes poorly presented on a wooden chopping board which looks really tacky and awfull.
    The Gumbo tastes like a cheap version of a curry thickened stock with a roue how cheap.

However this place is busy most nights of the week due to everything else but the qualty of food, maybee the atmousphere or just because its new and in time will be empty. Is a shame an idea with such potential is wasted with cheap taky ideas like serving food off a wooden chopping board or cooking rish to resemble mash potatoe.

I Give Creole a 3/10
    What restaurant on Dominick St do you work in??

Didnt know they did 'rish', must try it.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭K.C

I Give Creole a 3/10

Interesting review. I was considering eating here this week but now I'm not sure.

K.C wrote: »
    Interesting review. I was considering eating here this week but now I'm not sure.
    Make your own mind up and dont trust a rather strange first post review.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

They've taken the 22 OZ steak off the menu :( Nobody could finish it boohoo
    I did three bloody marvelous times :D

I think whiterhino you must have had some feed it you had 3 mains and all the deserts :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Oh and seeing as I started this thread I should really start another one for the
    'Gourmet Tart Company' in Salthill.
    Amazing value and really delicious food too.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Went there a couple of weeks back. Service was good, food was disappointing.

I had the jambalaya which was meh. It tasted very tomatoey so I couldn't taste any other flavours. It was mushy too. My husband had the ribs. They were tough. It's not difficult to cook ribs until they're falling off the bone.

We both had Mississippi Mud Pie for dessert. It wasn't anything like a Mississippi Mud Pie. It was chocolate sponge with chocolate sauce on it. The ice cream with it was delicious. Speaking of delicious, they left out the first 'i' in the word 'delicious' on their menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭K.C

O
    K.C wrote: »
    Make your own mind up and dont trust a rather strange first post review.

Don't worry, I will. Gonna try it and will report back with my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Can't wait to try it now after the "food critic" tries to bring it down.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,268 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Please note that I've had a look at the poster whiterhino, and while it is possible that they work for a rival establishment, I have not found any proof of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yeah I've let him/her off for now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,860 ✭✭✭thesandeman

biko wrote: »
    Yeah I've let him/her off for now.

I thought a White Rhino was an 'it'??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

I Give Creole a 3/10

wow, first post ever, and a very "fishy" one at that. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭SeanPuddin

First time was amazing, second time not so much. Food was a bit of a let down. Still I will probably be back.

Anyone know what the story is with the false imprisonment claim connected to Creole?

From the GA:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I was dubious about the creole claim (I often am with Irish restaurants). Having looked at the menu though, it does look very much like a typical New Orleans menu.

Have not been in but next time I'm in Galway, I will be sure to check it out. Blackened catfish here I come.
    The fact they have Dungarvan bottles is also a bonus in my book :D Though €6 a bottle is a little steep.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭listenup

SeanPuddin wrote: »
    First time was amazing, second time not so much. Food was a bit of a let down. Still I will probably be back.

Anyone know what the story is with the false imprisonment claim connected to Creole?

From the GA:
    was nothing to do with this place its related to the morrocan restaurant which was short lived above murty rabbits pub opened up end of last year closed already

listenup wrote: »
    was nothing to do with this place its related to the Mauritian restaurant which was short lived above murty rabbits pub opened up end of last year closed already
    fyp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭ Maison Slow Stretcher

Been there once a couple of weeks after it opened with my wife and we haven't been back. Food was ordinary (not good, not bad). I probably will try it again but I'm not rushing back.

Rouge and Kai are by far my 2 favourite restaurants in Galway at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 whiterhino

This is a thread which made me go see for myself exactly what is the fuss about. I have stated my opinion in the most realistic way possible without being biased in any way. Looking at the menu its all good but once inside the food is poor quality, the atmousphere is okay but im all about food. It is disapointing when you pay for a meal which could be cooked better at home. Sorry I ment the rice was mush and in it was overcooked meat which looked not very fresh at all bar the tough prawns. This maybee my first reveiw but it will set what I call the standard at a reasonable level when paying for a meal. If people have negative thoughts about my opinion maybee it is them who work there and trying to big it u so to say. Here is My findings of Creole go find out yourself. Excuse my bluntness but am to the point when it comes to food. I didnt feel like paying for a bowl of overcooked mush or seeing a chicken breast coverd in cheese served on a chopping board with a wilted salad and soggy coleslaw, with a bowl of undercooked chips. lol all that was missing was the bun for the chicken, it looked very alone. The pork ribs were anorexic with hardly no meat on the and very tough. the only thing that was okay to eat was the beef ribs. And by the way I went with a group of people, hardly going to sit alone now am I? I however feel the concept is good but how long until someone copies the idea and serves better quality food.

No soups ( creole cuisine has many!) http://www.gumbopages.com/food/soups/
    No deep fried chicken
    No Chicken dishes with rice
    No fresh crawfish
    Gumbo is a STEW where was the ingredients? only chicken and shrimp did someone miss a few ingredients in the dish.
    No real american deserts!

I know food if you are willing to reimburse me or offer a free meal for 5 people and try to improve on this I would be more than willing to eat at Creole again otherwise I will not be returning in the near future, im sorry to say

This is a thread which made me go see for myself exactly what is the fuss about. I have stated my opinion in the most realistic way possible without being biased in any way. Looking at the menu its all good but once inside the food is poor quality, the atmousphere is okay but im all about food. It is disapointing when you pay for a meal which could be cooked better at home. Sorry I ment the rice was mush and in it was overcooked meat which looked not very fresh at all bar the tough prawns. This maybee my first reveiw but it will set what I call the standard at a reasonable level when paying for a meal. If people have negative thoughts about my opinion maybee it is them who work there and trying to big it u so to say. Here is My findings of Creole go find out yourself. Excuse my bluntness but am to the point when it comes to food. I didnt feel like paying for a bowl of overcooked mush or seeing a chicken breast coverd in cheese served on a chopping board with a wilted salad and soggy coleslaw, with a bowl of undercooked chips. lol all that was missing was the bun for the chicken, it looked very alone. The pork ribs were anorexic with hardly no meat on the and very tough. the only thing that was okay to eat was the beef ribs. And by the way I went with a group of people, hardly going to sit alone now am I? I however feel the concept is good but how long until someone copies the idea and serves better quality food.

No soups ( creole cuisine has many!) http://www.gumbopages.com/food/soups/
    No deep fried chicken
    No Chicken dishes with rice
    No fresh crawfish
    Gumbo is a STEW where was the ingredients? only chicken and shrimp did someone miss a few ingredients in the dish.
    No real american deserts!

I know food if you are willing to reimburse me or offer a free meal for 5 people and try to improve on this I would be more than willing to eat at Creole again otherwise I will not be returning in the near future, im sorry to say
    Why not tell us where you have a good meal experience?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Space Dog

In all fairness, you can always have a disappointing experience in any restaurant. I've had terrible meals with lousy service in Rouge and Cavas before, as well as an ok meal in Kai, where I found the deserts to be really poor. These restaurants are usually hailed as the places to go to in this forum.
    I had food in Creole shortly after it opened and thought it was great, probably because I had no expectations. I also found the prices to be rather reasonable, so it's not like you pay a fortune even if you are not entirely satisfied.

You can always have the misfortune of being at a restaurant when the staff are having an off day. What's the point of discussing this ad nauseam, either give it a second go or leave it and don't go back. Simple as.

Advertisement