Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The kickstarter adventures of Sólás - solaswatches.com

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭Ryath

Yea I'd lower the volume a bit, I'm not the biggest fan of Irish music anymore (3 years working in a bar that had it 5 nights a week will do that to you!)

It will work for with the American market though. Dropkick Murphy's I'm Shipping up to Boston might work either!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Ryath wrote: »
    Yea I'd lower the volume a bit, I'm not the biggest fan of Irish music anymore (3 years working in a bar that had it 5 nights a week will do that to you!)

It will work for with the American market though. Dropkick Murphy's I'm Shipping up to Boston might work either!

Oh lots of beautiful Irish music out there - but almost none that would be royalty free/legal for me to use. Unless you know Dropkick Murphy and can get them to sign off on usage? :D

The song by Sláinte is free use btw - made sure I was correctly using royalty free images (of the universe) and even the custom text was free to use.

As for music - I understand your pain - worked in a department store for the month coming up to Christmas where a lovely grand piano with 5 Christmas songs programmed into it played non-stop on loop :D

Limited by royalty free music alright. Don't mention Christmas music I'm still not right after Never do a Tango with an Eskimo on repeat over 10 years ago!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

TF, all you need now is a PO box in Bunratty village folk park. :p Don't overdo the Irish theme is all I can say. Americans may love it, but do you intend selling 95% of the watches there?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Last post on this today I swear - the guys in China don't seem to sleep... got the 1080 version from them just a few moments ago. So here is the hi-res version of the video (and yes I do realise I am saying it's an automatic micro-rotor watch :o ) but I don't think it'll just be a WIS that might be interested in the watch.

Volume lowered to non-headphone busting levels too :pac:

Felt the info text in custom font wasn't the best on legibility so switched to calibri (tried arial too) happy to hear other thoughts on font (except for comic-sans :D )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭This is it

I don't like the diddly aye music but maybe others do. The watch looks fantastic though and I'll be buying one so no need to change the music for me :D

The dial really does look great in 1080p!

blue5000 wrote: »
    TF, all you need now is a PO box in Bunratty village folk park. :p Don't overdo the Irish theme is all I can say. Americans may love it, but do you intend selling 95% of the watches there?

I haven't even posted up the video of me on the bodhrán yet :pac: (I kid!) - honestly - I think the vast majority will be US sales (70-80+%). Since the market here in Ireland might be pretty much limited to you guys actually - whereas any marketing on reddit/watchuseek/youtube will mainly hit an American audience so I do expect them to make up the majority of people interested in backing it. I think continental Europe likes the Irish aspect too so it's won't be too offensive to their ears (I hope).

If you guys are interested, it'll be despite the Irish kitsch promo, not because of it (no shamrocks or leprechauns on the watch itself though). I've kept the watch Irish-ness to the text (which I am a supporter of) and the strap - which I want to support too. These are two elements which I think many Irish people will like too - while not clubbing anyone over the head with pots of gold and rainbows.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,338 ✭✭✭✭banie01

TF, it's a really, really lovely piece.
    The dial is stunning, the detail on the clasp is gorgeous and the whole package itself really is beautiful.

I'll be adding my name to your KS, and adding a Solas to my watch box.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,209 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I think the video is perfectly functional. But it could be slicker. The intro scenes with to name are good. But I don't think the first shot of the watch rotating is good for the first glimpse of the watch. And the text appearing on screen is fine, but not slick. I'd go dark background. Some close up shots of the hands and face. Then cut to a screen with one of the features in text, like micro rotor. Then close up of the rotor. Go through the features and show the whole watch at the end. I'd go with slower more haunting music. Not leprechauns on a picnic stuff :pac:

But that's me, and I know shooting a video of a watch can be difficult so it may not be worth your while. But I'd definitely change the music and maybe cut the text in as separate scenes rather than overlay it. For music I'd go for haunting, but not Enya. On a final note, I have no idea what I'm talking about, so don't take offence.

• Advertisement

Cienciano wrote: »
    I think the video is perfectly functional. But it could be slicker. The intro scenes with to name are good. But I don't think the first shot of the watch rotating is good for the first glimpse of the watch. And the text appearing on screen is fine, but not slick. I'd go dark background. Some close up shots of the hands and face. Then cut to a screen with one of the features in text, like micro rotor. Then close up of the rotor. Go through the features and show the whole watch at the end. I'd go with slower more haunting music. Not leprechauns on a picnic stuff :pac:

But that's me, and I know shooting a video of a watch can be difficult so it may not be worth your while. But I'd definitely change the music and maybe cut the text in as separate scenes rather than overlay it. For music I'd go for haunting, but not Enya. On a final note, I have no idea what I'm talking about, so don't take offence.

Not the first person to say to go with dark background - however my issue is that the videography isn't really up to me (the factory is doing this for me as a freebie after some delays on their part) so I'm not in a position to be dictating exactly what can be done.

As I'll have full creative control over the photography portion of this (and it won't have music overlaid :pac:) I'll try to show off the watch (with the correct Irish strap) to the best effect.

MsThirdfox had said to me "why don't you go with a merry jig as b/g music" (she thought this song was too slow :p) so that just shows you the cultural divide between what we consider twee and what foreigners enjoy about Ireland(!) My in-laws knew Riverdance before they knew about Dublin :D

And no offence taken at all - comments on this thread are gold - some things I'll take on board, some I might not but unless it's absolutely non-constructive it'll all be considered! I'm sure there'll be plenty of people who don't find this watch to their taste (for whatever reason) but it's all about finding 300ish people who would like to back it. It's the primary reason I'm sharing all the behind the scenes stuff with you guys - better you guys say "isn't a dedicated email really ;);) worth considering" than the day after I launch and I'm wondering why no-one is interested at all :)

"Haunting not Enya" - love it ha...so Björk is out of the question then?

Yeah it's not Patek/Omega levels of slickness but this is expanding way beyond my general competency as a law person and as a watch person - maybe I should put in at the end - "you don't own a Sólás, you merely take care of it for the next generation" :o

Here's what the video editing looks like when cutting in the images/sounds/text :) - Like with photoshop - I'm sure I'm only touching the basics of what the software can actually do.
    511244.jpg

edit: and doing all this (and another separate video previously) has made me appreciate all the hardwork proper content creators on Youtube do (I like history and science videos) - hours of editing must go into making minutes of content. It's made me stay around and not skip the ads for creators I like.

It's not the end, or even close to the beginning of the end...but maybe the end of the beginning...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/solaswatches/solas-starlight-an-irish-micro-rotor-watch

Approved and in pre-launch status now. While I'm waiting for the watches to arrive in Ireland could I ask that anyone who is interested in the watch to perhaps register their interest on kickstarter? This will give me an idea of what numbers exist currently (and of course interest does not mean any obligation to back :D ).

One reviewer sadly has dropped out - but two more have agreed to review the watch. The review samples will be whizzing around the world it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Thirdfox wrote: »
    It's not the end, or even close to the beginning of the end...but maybe the end of the beginning...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/solaswatches/solas-starlight-an-irish-micro-rotor-watch

Approved and in pre-launch status now. While I'm waiting for the watches to arrive in Ireland could I ask that anyone who is interested in the watch to perhaps register their interest on kickstarter? This will give me an idea of what numbers exist currently (and of course interest does not mean any obligation to back :D ).

One reviewer sadly has dropped out - but two more have agreed to review the watch. The review samples will be whizzing around the world it seems.

Registered.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭This is it

Same :)

Oh twist my arm then TF ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭hammerdub

Not too sure I've registered, but think I have ??

hammerdub wrote: »
    Not too sure I've registered, but think I have ??

I can't see who's registered (strange by Kickstarter) - but 9 people so far so I'd assume most of the boards people who were interested are on it now.

I'd say if you went on the page:

And it doesn't have the "notify me on launch" button then you've already registered to be notified on launch.

For boards I might be giving a heads up on when launching happens in case people would like the sár-luathphraghas (super early bird) prices :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭C0N0R

Registered, following with interest, haven’t made my mind up yet!

C0N0R wrote: »
    Registered, following with interest, haven’t made my mind up yet!

No worries at all about that - for those on the fence about if it appeals or not I think waiting for reviewers to get it in hand and present videos of the watch up close will help people decide if it's for them or not. :)

I'm just slightly excited about the step - seems like the years of (on/off) work is finally coming to fruition.

I'll probably do a video feature run through of the watch myself just to go through all the elements of the watch also - so people can understand just what a micro-rotor is, aventurine, what I mean by the clasp being more comfortable than ordinary deployants etc.

Edit: anything else people think I should cover in a self-introductory video?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

I've registered too

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the interest guys - and here's something I've had kept in store (was examining the feasibility of this but I think we've got it in a state that I'm happy to go forward and reveal on boards) - not revealed anywhere else yet :)

The "eagrán bradán feasa" Starlight version..."salmon of knowledge edition" - only one will be sold, two made - I know I said model T for the first watch and that holds true for all of them... but I wanted to make a "halo" version too - something that has an eye towards what I hope to create with the brand in the future. After discussing with the Irish strap supplier we are in the process of creating this 2 of a kind version of the Starlight - using rose-gold indices, a specially decorated golden micro-rotor movement with cotes de geneve en arabesque (similar to those found on Omega 8900 movements) and salmon leather straps (Italian leather full grain backing).

This hasn't been assembled yet - we're still concentrating on the main watch of course - but there will be one available once the campaign launches - but here are some sneak peaks at what Steve Jobs would have described as "oh and one more thing":

Salmon leather:
    511642.jpeg

Movement photo:
    511640.jpg

And then here are two up close photos I took of the signed crown and clasp deep etching when I visited the factory back in January (you can see other pieces in the background too):

Crown:
    511641.jpg

Clasp:
    511639.jpg

Happy Sunday all :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭redlead

I reckon this will be a rare vintage collectible by the time I get one of those attachments to load but sounds great ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,686 ✭✭✭893bet

Oh nice! 2 is too small a number.

A limited run of 10-20 perhaps and charge a large premium.

Is the “normal one” going to be limited? Or numbered?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭ Nylah Red Pope

boards attachements and general load times are screwed at the moment,

893bet wrote: »
    Oh nice! 2 is too small a number.

A limited run of 10-20 perhaps and charge a large premium.

Is the “normal one” going to be limited? Or numbered?

It's effectively one - since the other I'll be holding on to as a memento of the brand. More a situation that someone who wants to support the idea of Sólás and have something pretty much unique can get.

The standard one is limited - not by numbering but by tax/VAT reasons. Sales are limited to 390 standard ones and 1 of the rose gold. Reason being at this number I don't need to charge anyone VAT on the pieces sold.

Any more than this and I'd really need to incorporate as a company (rather than sole trader) and register for VAT, hire an accountant to process VAT returns and start filing annual returns. This would all add cost onto the final product.

As for numbering - I definitely get the appeal for many people of having a numbered edition (especially when it truly is "limited" compared to say your X version Speedmaster variant :D ) - but again for this run I'm really leaning towards learning how to handle backer info organisation/protocol/scheduling - if I'm not confident of not making a dog's dinner of this (and once you get numbered versions it's completely understandable that people will then want certain numbers, drop out - does that mean you move up the list? The new backer drops into the old number? Swap numbers? Send out the right numbers to the right backers?) - It adds a lot of complexity to fulfilling rewards (or at least it seems like that to me).

An alternative is to post out random numbers to people if they are numbered...which isn't necessarily what I think collectors would want (as in, the people who care about the numbers might not be satisfied, the people who don't care about numbers didn't care in the first place). This is what Ross did with the Hamtun H2 btw - just send out random serials to the various backers (and it wasn't necessarily limited either - just serialised and sent out randomly so people have different numbers). I don't think it necessarily was of huge benefit to people who want "1/500", "500/500" to just randomly get "213/500".

Instead my intention is:
    1. Monitor this run to see how efficient I can make record keeping (200-391 people should be a good dry run of my tracking system) - and at the same time stress test having options for people (future colour, potential strap and serial number/limited numbers options);
    2. The standard watch will instead have "céad eagrán" inscribed on the back to mark that this is the inaugural run of watches - future Starlights won't have this ever again obviously so for the backers who think a Sólás may be worth collecting for "future investments" :p at least there'll be a clear indicator you have a "first edition" version;
    3. Depending on success - will look at formalising the brand into a company so that VAT can be reduced at least on imports and absorbing some VAT costs so won't need to hike prices for customers (rather than backers) in the future - while Kickstarter is ok for the 1st/2nd project, I think brands shouldn't be reliant on it once it's "started" and should eventually look at striking out on their own.

Oh and as for why 10-20 won't really be an option - the movements are custom ordered - even more so than the standard micro-rotors - even getting 3 movements (1 to be held in reserve) was difficult - instead, normally you need hundreds of movements ordered and a 4 month lead time before they can be delivered. Having that much stock left on hand wasn't viable for a brand starting off. So that's why this one is intended to truly be a "halo" rather than just another backer option. Pricing will be at premium but still less than what I had put as rrp for standard models.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I think the strap supplier should have first dibs on the salmon one, just my 2 cents.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

The halo/unicorn version is a great idea IMO.

Could even be of marketing use maybe?

Solás as knowledge and a homonym for light, and the training of medical staff keeping Ireland safe could surely lend its way to a fundraising auction perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭laserlad2010

Just randomly came across this thread via the homepage - I'm very interested and have registered for the Kickstarter. The watch looks the business and I'd rather pay for something like this than another standard watch!

blue5000 wrote: »
    I think the strap supplier should have first dibs on the salmon one, just my 2 cents.

Hope he isn't following the thread on boards but I was intending to give him a standard Starlight model just as a token of appreciation for the work he's put in to the straps...and I think I'll stick with that idea because...
    banie01 wrote: »
    The halo/unicorn version is a great idea IMO.

Could even be of marketing use maybe?

Solás as knowledge and a homonym for light, and the training of medical staff keeping Ireland safe could surely lend its way to a fundraising auction perhaps?

I wish I could thank this post more than once - that is a bloody FANTASTIC idea! :eek: I'm just sorry I didn't think of it first.

Now there will probably be some organisational things to determine but I am 100% behind this idea - let me have a think of how this can be done.

By way of interest - would anyone know of any free auction sites that could facilitate something like this - i.e. eBay without the fees? Would probably need something to keep the trolls out too "I bid...1 million dollars" (Dr. Evil voice).

Another thing would be to determine how to determine what organisation/charity Sólás would be giving the funds to - some options:
    1. I decide at the start X organisation;
    2. I decide at the start a list for winning bidder to choose from; or
    3. Winning bidder gets to decide - as long as it's not something crazy like the "enrich myself charity" (I could see this option being problematic :pac: )

Sólás as "solace/comfort" couldn't be any more apt to contribute something during this time. That suggestion's really brightened up my day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭SteM

I think you're over thinking the numbering. They just get assigned as the orders are shipped, as long as you make it clear that no one can pick a number it'll be fine.

Advertisement