Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

GRO Records

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭BowWow

I have a photocopy of a Death Certificate. Dated 23rd July 1909, for a death that occurred on the 22nd. July. Death registered in Rathmines in South Dublin Union.

But I cant find the corresponding entry in the GRO.

Any thoughts?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It may be indexed under a spelling error.

spurious wrote: »
    It may be indexed under a spelling error.

Have tried that. And have tried to find deaths around the date, but none of those found are on the same page.
    There's over 5000 deaths in the south Dublin area in 1909 - at this stage I've looked at most of them....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Could it have been registered late?

spurious wrote: »
    Could it have been registered late?

The date on the copy Cert I have is the day after registration, so not registered late.

Died in Hospice Harold's Cross, so would think they had a process in place for registering "their" deaths promptly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Mollymoo19

Did you try all SR Districts? I saw a Baltinglass death registered under Balrothery during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Boscod

Looking for feedback on turnaround times for requests sent to GROonlinepayments@welfare.ie
    Does anyone have any recent experience?
    Thanks.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Nothing very recent but last few times were same or next day.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Previous years "top up" uploads were as follows -

2016 - 7th. Sep

2017 - 13th. Nov

2019 - 4th. Jun

2020 - 8th. Jan

2021 - 1st. Feb

Actually quite efficient on the last 2 occasions. Hopefully we'll see 1921B, 1946M and 1971D very soon.

And with the 1864 - 1871 Death images (I really need these to clear up a few issues).

Good stats - thanks.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Interesting thing I'd not seen before - very late December 1921 birth I thought might not appear until the 1922 births are up is showing in the index but with a note about the image being in a later year. Some prior December births only appeared with the next year. So the index and the file uploads are not completely locked together.

I have seen that before & they usually transcribe the information in that circumstance.

Something else that's new is they changed the index to show 'see register image' on the gender and mother's birth name.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 13,624 ✭✭✭✭josip

Sorry to get all your hopes up.

The usual question, has anyone any recent insight into when the 1864 -1871 death records will be made available online?

None at all. My contact doesn't work in that section anymore so I've no gossip.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Does anyone know if there are any plans to increase the opening hours in werburg street? Current hours are only tues 10-12.30 and 2-4.30 😩😩 Email requests are available, but only possible if the details for the registers are already known. Pretty poor service.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭cobham

Well that is an improvement to service we had up to recently. What were the hours there pre covid? I would save time by looking up things on the Mormon site ( family search) then would have an year/district to focus on when looking for certs.

You can actually ask for searches by email too, the same way as you would in there via books. I got one of births in the 1990s done a couple of weeks ago.

I spoke to someone senior a few weeks ago and he admitted it was all staffing problems. I pointed out that a public office has a duty to be open regular hours and not randomly decided each week. He did say it would improve in September.

Pre-Covid had no email ordering available but they were open 930-430 every week day.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭hblock21

Whats going on with the early death records? Why have they not uploaded them yet?

Back in July the dept had 'hope' that they would be completed in the autumn. They neglected to say which autumn.

• Advertisement

When I last spoke to my contact there, he said it was more complicate than people realised. Some of the indexes are handwritten, etc. Not making excuses: I'd love to see them.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭cobham

Anyone been in Werbergh Street office recently? do you get thrown out for lunch break? any news on Research room in Pearse returned to old format?

Previous years "top up" uploads -

2016 - 7th. Sep, 2017 - 13th. Nov, 2019 - 4th. Jun, 2020 - 8th. Jan,

2021 - 1st. Feb, 2022 - 1st. Mar.

I'm placing a "virtual" bet that this year's uploads (1922B, 1947M and 1972D) will be on the 26th. January next. Anyone else want to place a bet?

(I've nearly given up on seeing the 1864 - 1871 Death images).😥

You're right to give up on the 1864-71 images; there's a distinct attitude of 'not my job' coming from those 'responsible'.

(July '22) "We hope to make the final death register entries available in the Autumn."

(December '22) "The work on the older deaths will be finalised when resources allow and they will then be published on www.irishgealogy.ie. Obligations to customers currently registering events and those requiring certificates of events to conduct their personal and legal business are always a higher priority to this Office."

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭55Gem

I don't know if it's correct and can't remember where I read it. I read that there is only one person working on this project and they only do it when they have time from their other duties. If true getting a new year of BMD online each year is pretty good going and makes it understandable if they can's get to the earlier death records.

Personally I'd prefer to miss out on the new year of BMD in favour of the early death records.

At this stage, I have paid for any important deaths in that period I know I need. It's more about the ability to speculatively look at a lot of records.

Yesterday, I searched for a marriage of someone with a common name in Dublin. Must have opened 50 or 60 pages, but I found him in the end.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The newer years are all already indexed, so it's not the same task as connecting the images for the old ones. Remember we actually had these indices public before the data protection office interference!

A little bird suggested the new year of records are coming next week, but the older deaths are not part of the upload.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Well that's something at least.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

Be still my beating heart!! I'm looking for a marriage. Fingers crossed for good new soon!

Advertisement