Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Printing pages from Griffith's Valuation on Askaboutireland

• 26-12-2017 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

I seem to remember that there used to be an option to print if you opened a page from Griffith's. The option is not appearing for me now. Am I doing something wrong or has there been a change in the website?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

The page seems a little different to the last time I used it and you're right, the Print icon seems to have gone.

Genealogy Forum Mod

They also don't give an option to download the image - I wonder why?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

You're right: it's undergone a reformatting and there's no print option available. Mind you, it came out with a big copyright of AAI on it when you could print it.
    I've sent an email to ask why.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 45 tenterfields

Thanks Pinkypinky. It will be interesting to see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭VirginiaB

Just checked to see if there was any way to download or print and I can't find any. Could not copy/paste either. An annoying development, to say the least. Let's hope they fix it soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 do321

this will work if you just want to save a small number of images, as its takes time to do

eg:

griffiths.askaboutireland.ie/gv4/z/zoomifyDynamicViewer.php?file=160043&path=./pix/160/&rs=1&showpage=1&mysession=2578085711622&width=&height=

griffiths.askaboutireland.ie/gv4/z/pix/XXX/YYYYYY.jpg

shorten the link so its in this format:
    griffiths.askaboutireland.ie/gv4/z/pix/160/160043.jpg

then right click on image and save

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I got 3 out of office replies and a bounce to the email I sent - one of them obviously doesn't work there any more.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Thanks but could not get this to work for me.

VirginiaB wrote: »
    Thanks but could not get this to work for me.

as I'm a new user its difficult explain without posting proper links

can you view an image you want to save, and post the link here as a reply, I'll then shorten it for you

in the link on your browser look for a section like this:
    file=160043

using this number (160043), transfer the 1st 3 digits (160) in place of XXX
    transfer the 6 digits in place of YYYYYY

eg:
    griffiths.askaboutireland.ie/gv4/z/pix/XXX/YYYYYY.jpg

becomes

griffiths.askaboutireland.ie/gv4/z/pix/160/160043.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 tenterfields

do321

Excellent workaround. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭hs5424

Hi,
    When I cut down url to .jpg I don't get a save as option. Any ideas. I would like to save in format that I can enlarge and read.

Here is what I want to save,

http://griffiths.askaboutireland.ie/gv4/z/zoomifyDynamicViewer.php?file=303079&path=./pix/303/&rs=23&showpage=1&mysession=2745454778426&width=&height=

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If you click the print screen button (PrtSc) it copies your screen to your clipboard. You can then paste that into a document (with or without editing depending on what software you have) and save or print.

And you can also take a photo of the screen with your phone and email to yourself. Then rename and save.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

I use the snipping tool if necessary to capture images but haven't been on Askaboutireland recently to say if it works there or not. Sorry, I don't know enough to explain it any better.

Another option would be to access the images via Find My Past or Ancestry both of which provide a straightforward option to save them to your PC.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 40 brownangel

With regard to copy and pasting of GV records, Excel works well and one can paste several records onto one page which is useful for research. You have to widen the columns but that's very easy.

Advertisement