Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you recharge Silica Gel dessicant packets in a food dehydrator?

• 17-11-2020 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭

Question for someone with a chemistry background ,

Is it possible to recharge previously used packets of silica Gel in a Food Dehydrator while your are drying out fruits/mushrooms ?

I know it is possible to recharge used silica gel in an oven or microwave but I am wondering about recharging them in a food dehydrator while dehydrating fruits at the same time , like would the humidity in the dehydrator be absorbed by the silica gel?

Food dehydrator is basically a box shaped appliance with trays of fruit inside that has a fan blowing through it and a heating element, used to dry out food for long term storage in case your wondering what it is.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Ronanc1

I know it is possible to recharge used silica gel in an oven or microwave

I think you just answered your own question there. Sure what are dehydraters but small fan powered ovens that hit temps of 70-80 degrees max. Probably best to just dehydrate them on they're own vs with other foods.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

yes heating silica gel will dry it out.

BUT, the sachet may not take the heat, and older packets used cobalt chloride, pink/blue which is toxic so not near food. Other colours aren't quite as toxic but still.

Advertisement