Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Potential no more one off houses allowed to be built in the country side

Options
  • 09-12-2019 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi all,

I'm just wondering has anyone heard anything about no more one off houses been built in the country side in the near future?
    Is there any truth in this at all or will it be put into county development plans?

Looking forward to hearing replies/opinions

Regards

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Nope, heard nothing of the sort.
    Where did you hear it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,194 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

DTMeath wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm just wondering has anyone heard anything about no more one off houses been built in the country side in the near future?
    Is there any truth in this at all or will it be put into county development plans?

Looking forward to hearing replies/opinions

Regards

This sounds like the FB white van story.
    Having regard to local, rural parish pump politics,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pS6zJ7IsJkM

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭VANG1

If the greens get into government they may well have that policy

• Registered Users Posts: 21,358 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Nonsense of course

• Subscribers Posts: 40,981 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

VANG1 wrote: »

the greens will never have a majority enough to get through such a policy.
    And there is absolutely no way FF or FG will be on board with such a policy either.

with the advent of electric cars, better effluent treatment and monitoring, property tax, development charges and individual connection fees....
    the reasons to be against rural one off housing are being withered down to pure aesthetic ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Some pretty extreme views on this on the infrastructure forum :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

We pretty much have a policy of no new one off housing for much of the country side however there are exceptions to everything hence planning permission being granted to people with housing need in those rural areas.
    That generally means if you are a farmer or working rurally or grew up in the area etc.
    I don't believe they will be able to tighten this down much further to be honest without legal challenge and without completely shutting down the rural communities.
    We have situations here in mayo where multiple families are being refused permission to move to area yet schools are closing due to lack of numbers. It's nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 DTMeath

If you google one off housing agriland, they have an article about it.
    I'm also afraid they will sneak something like this into the new development plans from 2020 on wards.

DTMeath wrote: »
    If you google one off housing agriland, they have an article about it.
    I'm also afraid they will sneak something like this into the new development plans from 2020 on wards.

All people have to do is to read the 2020-2040 planning framework.

It clearly says :

Ensure, in providing for the development of rural housing, that a distinction is made between areas under urban influence, i.e. within the commuter catchment of cities and large towns and centres of employment, and elsewhere: In rural areas under urban influence, facilitate the provision of single housing in the countryside based on the core consideration of demonstrable economic or social need to live in a rural area and siting and design criteria for rural housing in statutory guidelines and plans, having regard to the viability of smaller towns and rural settlements;

In rural areas elsewhere, facilitate the provision of single housing in the countryside based on siting and design criteria for rural housing in statutory guidelines and plans, having regard to the viability of smaller towns and rural settlements.

So a local Councillor not understanding what is proposed is, and pearl clutching in the media about it, is nothing new at all....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

The general reaction here says it all about Ireland

One off housing is possibly the state's most notable planning failure and that's from a catalogue of a great many planning failures.

It's the reason we have such poor traffic congestion, public transport. No room left to expand. Jump into the DART Underground thread to find examples.

• Advertisement

One off rural housing has literally NOTHING to do with traffic congestion or poor public transport.

Rural housing is a RESULT of these things.

Urban sprawl through low density, low rise urban expansion, coupled with a patient disastrous failure to regionally develop other areas than dublin, gentrification of inner city areas, and failure to control land values... means that the commuter belt around cities has just widened and widened..

Traffic in Cities especially Dublin is a nightmare. Traffic into and out of Midlands towns in the morning and evening is at a standstill due to the hundreds of thousands of workers commuting hours per day.

To actually try to blame that on one off rural housing is actually laughable.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

VANG1 wrote: »

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055036302

Please refrain from posting defamatory political hearsay, Please read the forum charter, particularly sections 1.1, 1.7 & 2

• Registered Users Posts: 18,871 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

sydthebeat wrote: »
    One off rural housing has literally NOTHING to do with traffic congestion or poor public transport.

Rural housing is a RESULT of these things.

Urban sprawl through low density, low rise urban expansion, coupled with a patient disastrous failure to regionally develop other areas than dublin, gentrification of inner city areas, and failure to control land values... means that the commuter belt around cities has just widened and widened..

Traffic in Cities especially Dublin is a nightmare. Traffic into and out of Midlands towns in the morning and evening is at a standstill due to the hundreds of thousands of workers commuting hours per day.

To actually try to blame that on one off rural housing is actually laughable.

Well if people built their McMansions closer to the towns and villages then they wouldn't need to drive. Public transport could be provided and services could be supplied. But instead people build in the middle of nowhere and drive past their local village to an out of town retailer in the next big town.

The fact that Dublin isn't allowed go up is an issue but people living in the middle of nowhere is not the solution either. Look at our European or UK neighbours, who have very little one off housing, and see the trouble they have providing services to rural areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Del2005 wrote: »
    Well if people built their McMansions closer to the towns and villages then they wouldn't need to drive. Public transport could be provided and services could be supplied. But instead people build in the middle of nowhere and drive past their local village to an out of town retailer in the next big town.

The fact that Dublin isn't allowed go up is an issue but people living in the middle of nowhere is not the solution either. Look at our European or UK neighbours, who have very little one off housing, and see the trouble they have providing services to rural areas.

3 local villages here need waste water treatment and the council won't do it. Because of that a lot of people have been refused planning in the village and then built outside it. If the infrastructure was carried out in these villages and towns it would make things much more straight forward

Del2005 wrote: »

Trouble providing services to rural areas??

I though the problem was traffic congestion and public transport, according to a previous post.....

Rural housing is not a hindrance to Dublin building up, that's a compete red herring.

The throngs travelling to Dublin and causing traffic congestion are travelling in the main from commuter towns. The towns I know well would be all along the old N7, but since 2005 you have smaller towns and villages like ballyroan, emo, rathangan, moate, edenderry, Portarlington, monasterevan, athy etc.... All have become commuter Towns to Dublin.

In these places the town centers are struggling even though the populations have exploded in they last 15 years (Portarlington went from circa 4500 to over 12000 in that time period). However the population are not around during the day to make the towns thrive... They are all up and gone by 7am to make a soul destroying drive to Dublin.

The reason Dublin and to a lesser extent Cork, Galway and waterford are in the mire of traffic issues is due to bad urban planning.... Worked on the basis of fill the people first, and the services second...

And on our European partners.... They suffered from severe razing of a lot of their towns and cities during ww2 so had the luxury of planning their towns and cities from a base line of practically zero. The could design building lines to allow for the modern age.
    In cities where narrow streets survived (Barcelona, Prague etc) they were pragmatic when it comes to residences. They don't have the same paranoia around building lines, over looking, etc. Above ground floor windows are not dictated by paranoid separation distances, suffocating for demanding car parking spaces, and shock due to lack of proper accessible public green spaces.

So again, blaming one off rural housing for get ills of city living is very laughable.

There are issues with rural housing which I am glad to debate, but the pushing of some policy to ban it, and use urban problems as the reason... Nah I'm not on board with that at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 SelfBuildMeath

I'm at the start of a self build in Meath. One of the local architects I spoke to showed me a flyer where a local councillor was talking about this topic. I just joined this site and I'm not seeing where I can attach the picture I took of the flyer 

• Registered Users Posts: 12,194 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

I'm at the start of a self build in Meath. One of the local architects I spoke to showed me a flyer where a local councillor was talking about this topic. I just joined this site and I'm not seeing where I can attach the picture I took of the flyer 
    You need at leat 25 posts IIRc, maybe 50 before you can attach pictures

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,219 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Some councils (Meath in particular since their development plan is to be renewed in 2020) are bringing in more restrictions for one-off rural houses and local needs to the point where it will be hugely restrictive, mostly only allowing sons/daughters of major landholdings who need to live on the farm as they're a major contributor to the running of it.

It's about to become incredibly hard to build rurally in Meath (and I think Louth will soon be implementing similar).

http://countydevelopmentplanreview.meath.ie/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/Chief-Executive-Report-on-Notices-of-Motion.pdf
    A few of the points from Page 160 onwards

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 SelfBuildMeath

I have a site in the Meath area that I will be building on in the near future. Do u have any idea when this will happen. The site currently belongs to my parents, but they will be giving to me. 

• Registered Users Posts: 33,219 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I have a site in the Meath area that I will be building on in the near future. Do u have any idea when this will happen. The site currently belongs to my parents, but they will be giving to me. 

For Meath I think their new development plan is going to have a draft released for consultation before Christmas and is due to be introduced in the middle of next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

According to their website, their draft development plan is due.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭bfclancy

Bit premature with the user name

• Registered Users Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭arctictree

I saw this flyer from a councillor based in the Meath area a couple of weeks ago 

I thought this was discussed in the dail 2 years ago and the part of the NPF that made one off housing more restrictive was removed:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/regionals/wicklowpeople/news/casey-government-to-lift-rural-housing-restriction-36382027.html

Advertisement