Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Do you tip the delivery guy/gal?

• 02-12-2019 1:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭

And if not, why not?

The reason I ask is I was a delivery driver for a few years in the early 2000s while doing my apprenticeship. I'd say 85% of people tipped me.

I started doing deliveries again this weekend (squeezed middle here!!) and so far it's about 50-60%.

I'd feel weird not giving a tip myself. I would usually give 1-2e. On the very rare occasion where I've paid online and have no change I always apologise to the driver.

I know, I know.........you've paid for your food and a delivery charge so why should you give more money? The answer is you don't HAVE to but it is nice to do. Standing there while the driver digs around for your 30c change says a lot about you.

To someone like me who's doing it help pay the bills, the tips mean a lot.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

A euro or two yeah. It’s nice to be nice to people providing me a service. The ‘euro for a hostel’ lads can do one though. Sick to my teeth of people looking for handouts, but that’s for another day.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭sonyvision

Always 1 or 2 euro. I know we pay a delivery charge but I wouldn't miss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Depends. If the fast food place I ordered from charged for delivery, then absolutely not. Anyway seeing as youre a delivery boy, a tip for you, tell people politely you have no change if they ask, youll catch a lot of people out and theyll probably just give you the rounded note they had out to pay with. Last guywho brought my food said that and I thought it was very cheeky but he ended up getting like a 4 euro tip out of it for himself as I had absolutely no change in the house

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

KungPao wrote: »
    A euro or two yeah. It’s nice to be nice to people providing me a service. The ‘euro for a hostel’ lads can do one though. Sick to my teeth of people looking for handouts, but that’s for another day.

Here bud hav yizz got a euro for the bleedin luas

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

I dont play on it too much in my mind,

If my bill is €9.50 and I hand him a tenner, I'll say yeah thats grand dont worry about it,

Or if its €19 and I hand him €20 I wouldn't stand there waiting for it either, he/she can keep it

But I don't go out of my way to tip them, no. No reason really. I find I tip more in taxis than I do delivery drivers! Probably because when I get a delivery I mostly pay by card, and if not, I'm probably using the rest of what I have left after a Saturday night out, and that is never much!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Always gave a tip.....

€1.50 or €2

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

You mean do i tip the postman ?...no.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

wakka12 wrote: »
    Depends. If the fast food place I ordered from charged for delivery, then absolutely not. Anyway seeing as youre a delivery boy, a tip for you, tell people politely you have no change if they ask, youll catch a lot of people out and theyll probably just give you the rounded note they had out to pay with. Last guywho brought my food said that and I thought it was very cheeky but he ended up getting like a 4 euro tip out of it for himself as I had absolutely no change in the house

That's just not me. I'd rather they gave it because they wanted to.

My second delivery the first night back after 15/16 years and the guys bill was €20.90. He handed me €30 and told me to kept the change. I said are you sure, he said yes. I pushed him on it and said , 'really are you sure? It's a lot' He looked puzzled. I told him what the bill was. He thought it was €29!!!

You mean do i tip the postman ?...no.

You might do if what he was delivering was ordered 45mins before hand and you had to open the door to him to receive it.....

In other words, it's not the same...

khaldrogo wrote: »
    Standing there while the driver digs around for your 30c change says a lot about you.

To someone like me who's doing it help pay the bills, the tips mean a lot.

This won’t be pleasant, but you did ask and I’m going to give an honest answer.

Standing there with some sort of expectation that your employers customer should give you extra money themselves on top of a delivery charge says something about the delivery person too.

I suppose by the time you’d pay for the extra insurance cover, fuel, wear and tear on your car, pay your taxes when you declare the additional income and so on, there’s probably little to make it worthwhile in the first place. Probably better ways to help your situation with the time spent delivering pizzas and chips.

So no, I don’t tip. I’m not a charity and people doing a cash in hand job without insurance cover and not paying their taxes don’t get the benefit of a misplaced feeing of entitlement from me. People tipping for fat food delivery are as bad as those giving money to those organised beggars on the street.

• Advertisement

id feel a right bollix if i didnt have a quid or two on hand for him tbh, i always give a bit of shrapnel

id feel a right bollix if i didnt have a quid or two on hand for him tbh, i always give a bit of shrapnel

I’d feel a right eejit paying tax on my earnings just so I could hand what was left to someone who won’t.

khaldrogo wrote: »
    You might do if what he was delivering was ordered 45mins before hand and you had to open the door to him to receive it.....

In other words, it's not the same...
    Why?

I tip delivery drivers from small Take Away restaurants i know they aren't paid much.

I don't use delivery companies outside of An post much ...but they are usually very large national or multi-national companies so no i don't tip their employees.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,268 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

If there's no delivery fee then I'll tip, but pretty much nowhere near me has free delivery any more. I've always worked on the assumption that the delivery fee is intended as a "guaranteed tip" for the delivery driver, presumably because many people didn't tip when the delivery was free. That being the case, I don't feel the need to essentially tip twice. I should add that I usually order online and pay by card, but on the odd occasion where I pay by cash, if there's a a small amount of change over from whatever I pay the delivery guy I'll usually tell them to keep it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

It’s well-known fact that delivery drivers jizz on non-tippers food.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

Similar to above, I don't go out of my way to tip.

If I pay by card, no.

If I pay by cash, I'll tell them to keep the (reasonable amount of) change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Arrival

When you order expensive items off the internet do you tip the delivery drivers when they drop them off to you? In this instance, the driver would have driven most likely a lot farther than any takeaway delivering to you, and they're assisting you in getting something a lot more valuable than a ****ty takeaway or pizza

I'm actually saying this as someone who generally still gives €1-2, but after recently getting a €30+ order from Domino's and having to pay a €2 delivery charge on top of that I thought "**** that" when reaching for the wallet to get the €1-2 like I usually would, and that made me start thinking...this whole recent American influence of introducing a tipping culture here is bull****. Also, I always hated tipping waitresses (even as someone who's worked in this line of work before), their job is literally to just carry the food to tables and clean up a bit, if anyone should be tipped it's the chef whose skill and talent actually made the good food I'm there to eat. Know a couple of waitresses as well who seem to have grown so used to getting tips that they'd complain when they don't get enough, as if it's a right and not a privilege; **** people like that

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭CageWager

Slightly off topic but I wish dominos/apache etc would give the option to put a tip on my card when ordering. I rarely use cash so I have to go out of my way to take out and break the odd €20 note so I’ll have coins in the house.

On topic - I tip a standard €2 even if there is a delivery charge. I fear the aforementioned pepperoni and jizz pizza and I see the extra 2 blips as an insurance policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

This is another traveller/dole/etc thread. This has been done here so many times. Guessing the op is a delivery guy trying to get his tips raised :P

Generic search on AH, sorted by newest first gives lots of the exact same threads. And the same results, "Yes I do, they are underpaid" and "No I don't, they are tax-dodging dole scroungers".

BTW, I always tip.

Arrival wrote: »
    When you order expensive items off the internet do you tip the delivery drivers when they drop them off to you? In this instance, the driver would have driven most likely a lot farther than any takeaway delivering to you, and they're assisting you in getting something a lot more valuable than a ****ty takeaway or pizza

I'm actually saying this as someone who generally still gives €1-2, but after recently getting a €30+ order from Domino's and having to pay a €2 delivery charge on top of that I thought "**** that" when reaching for the wallet to get the €1-2 like I usually would, and that made me start thinking...this whole recent American influence of introducing a tipping culture here is bull****. Also, I always hated tipping waitresses (even as someone who's worked in this line of work before), their job is literally to just carry the food to tables and clean up a bit, if anyone should be tipped it's the chef whose skill and talent actually made the good food I'm there to eat. Know a couple of waitresses as well who seem to have grown so used to getting tips that they'd complain when they don't get enough, as if it's a right and not a privilege; **** people like that

I just let an post deliver them ..far better service.

Hmm maybe i should tip now.:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I used to all the time when I’d carry cash. Now most apps are via card with delivery charge so that covers that, I couldn’t tip extra if I wanted to and that’s the system they’ve set up. I’m not going to change my life around to going to ATMs and carrying cash again just for the sake of tipping delivery drivers like.

Uber Eats have it right in prompting you to tip after the fact (even though you pay €3-4 for the journey alone). Other apps should do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

Guy/gal?? What the fuck is happening to this country?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

KungPao wrote: »
    It’s well-known fact that delivery drivers jizz on non-tippers food.

How do they know they won't tip before they get there?

Do they ask for the pizza back on the doorstep and bash the bishop there and then? Or maybe they bring a little bottle of one they've prepared earlier?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

It's very arbitrary it seems what services get tips. Used to work in a butchers as a teen, where on request you are preparing racks of lamb, butterflying steaks, bone and rolling chickens/turkeys/ leg of lamb etc which are skills most people wouldn't be able to do at home. Or at least do well.

But this is not worthy of tipping compared to somebody who can pick up a bag at takeaway and drop it to your house within 40 minutes or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,468 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Never ever get food delivered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

I would never order a takeaway from any of those disgusting fast food places. Greasy fried pig **** for gluttons and the self-indulgent, the opiates of the massive.

That being said, my daughter orders a lot of takeaways and she does tip the driver (and the scale!). I personally believe that tipping encourages employers not to pay a living wage, so I avoid it whenever I can.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 391 ✭✭Professor Genius

Just all the coppers.

JayZeus wrote: »
    This won’t be pleasant, but you did ask and I’m going to give an honest answer..

I didn't find this particularly unpleasant tbh, despite your best attempt.
    Standing there with some sort of expectation that your employers customer should give you extra money themselves on top of a delivery charge says something about the delivery person too.

I don't stand there expecting anything. I hope for it as I approach the door but once I hand the person their change, I say thank you very much and leave. If the person is going to tip they will let you know when you are giving them their change or they call me back as I'm leaving.
    I suppose by the time you’d pay for the extra insurance cover, fuel, wear and tear on your car, pay your taxes when you declare the additional income and so on, there’s probably little to make it worthwhile in the first place. Probably better ways to help your situation with the time spent delivering pizzas and chips.

The extra insurance isn't actually too bad tbh.

Please tell me the better ways to help 'my situation'....

I am well paid for what I do, as is my other half, but living in Dublin with a mortgage and childcare is expensive.
    So no, I don’t tip. I’m not a charity and people doing a cash in hand job without insurance cover and not paying their taxes don’t get the benefit of a misplaced feeing of entitlement from me. People tipping for fat food delivery are as bad as those giving money to those organised beggars on the street.

Thanks for your input. You've given me a lot to think about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

People tipping for fat food delivery are as bad as those giving money to those organised beggars on the street.

Jesus wept...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

_Brian wrote: »
    Never ever get food delivered.

Why not, kitty cat?

74BqWC_i.jpg

Advertisement