Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why do people boast about not watching RTÉ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,473 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

NoteAgent wrote: »
    So because it doesn't interest you means people that do like it have bad taste/ no life?

How arrogant

Yea, yea.
    My point is that because it has content for some many or indeed most people watch little and lots watch no RTE.

It should move to a subscription service. That way the revenue would match the demand and so be used to produce content for those interested. Give the pensioners a free pass.

If people want “public service broadcast”, one tv station and one radio station would easily cover that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

RTE is not objective, and should not be trusted to engage the public in an honest, balanced dialogue. Everything is slanted towards their own insular D4 point of view, and anyone with a contrary opinion rarely gets a look in.

And just to add to this, it is important to make a different between independent journalism and representing all public views.

There is a case (which I agree with) that TV licence is better than general taxation to fund a public broadcaster because it makes its funding (and thus editorial line) more independent from the government.

But then the question is how do you use that independence from the government and are you indeed independent from any specific lobbies or ideologies which might distort your representativity of public opinions? And the answer often is that an organisation can’t naturally remains ideologically diverse.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭donegal_man

I only watch RTE for news and current affairs programming. Their entertainment offerings are for the most part fairly dire. RTE1 this evening 6:30 Reeling In The Years 2008, 7:00 At Your Service, 7:30 Winning Streak, 8:30 Labour Party Conference. None of which I'll watch, the only thing of any interest is Dublin Murders at 11:05 but unfortunately for RTE that can be watched on BBC without the ad breaks. Network 2 on the other hand has three nature programmes that have shown before. Exciting stuff! That said, it knocks spots of Virgin with it's line up of 5 year old UK game shows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

_Brian wrote: »
    Yea, yea.
    My point is that because it has content for some many or indeed most people watch little and lots watch no RTE.
    Your point is what?

Why did you tell them to get a life? Bit rude...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

I can think of more reasons to switch off RTE than to switch it on.

That in itself says a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

I don't watch a lot of it but at the same time as it's a vital service to the country.

The solution seems simple. Stop the bull**** of employing z list celebs (Greg O'Shea) and family members (Doireann Garrihy, Lottie Ryan), sack a few of the useless top earners (Tubridy and Darcy 2 examples), sell Montrose, downsize and move to another location on the west of the city.

Plenty of real talent who would start from the bottom and have studied media being overlooked for family members and celebs. Very harsh on them.

Honestly what is happening in RTE and what they were proposing as the solution is the same as the proposal across every failing public institution.

The Irish way of throwing good money after bad! It's absolutely infuriating.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭ofthelord

I don't watch RTE TV, and I don't listen to RTE Radio. I would still consider myself up to date with the news and current affairs.

Not watching RTE is not something that I would boast about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Seems like a stupid idea to move considering the infrastructure is already in place. Think they did alright by selling off some of the land but the location makes sense, I like the national broadcaster and cultural institution being in a prime location in the capital.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

I watch minimal RTE television but do listen to Radio 1 in the car. I think RTE radio is far better than TV, and also comes with the advantage of not requiring a TV license.

ofthelord wrote: »
    I don't watch RTE TV, and I don't listen to RTE Radio. I would still consider myself up to date with the news and current affairs.

Not watching RTE is not something that I would boast about.

Yeh its not vital at the moment in its current form.

Its vital it remains state owned though if that makes sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭chrissb8

Because RTE is awful and if you want to watch your Tv license be wasted in real-time watch RTE.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 98 ✭✭Charles Leclerc

The only decent coverage of the Kevin Lunney saga came from the BBC. For weeks I had absolutely no idea what was going on other than the basic facts of the abduction. No context or analysis was provided by any Irish outlet. These people do nothing but copy paste from other outlets and get paid massively bloated salaries. Sick of it.
    Matt Cooper on Today FM educated me on all this QIH carry on. His show is fantastic. For me, the best broadcaster in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

These people do nothing but copy paste from other outlets and get paid massively bloated salaries. Sick of it.

And I have seen articles reproduced (with permission - not suggesting plagiarism) with certain sections cut out if they don't fit the narrative

e.g. a Reuters article about banking stress tests, the paragraph stating AIB/BOI (among other European banks) had failed was missing from the original article.

That was some time in 2014 - it's also the last time I read an RTE article or watched an RTE news or current affairs programme

• Registered Users Posts: 3,720 ✭✭✭Greyfox

CosmicFool wrote: »
    Because people like to give out and think they're better than others

No, they just live in a world where value for money is important. RTE need to dramatically cut costs and just supply a very very basic service as we can all get news, current affairs and entertainment elsewhere so we shouldn't be overpaying for it

• Registered Users Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    downsize and move to another location on the west of the city.

Dee Forbes says they've looked at this and established it wouldn't save money.

Dee Forbes says they've looked at this and established it wouldn't save money.

They dont need to be in Dublin though. The midlands for example or Cork or Limerick. Somewhere land is cheaper and has good access. Not everything has to revolve around Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,797 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Every time a discussion about RTÉ comes up, you’ll get the usual types who say ‘I just watch Netflix’, can nobody see how bad this is for society? It’s important to have an engaged public, a public who cares about what’s happening in the country, whose engaged in some way in public discourse and one important medium this can be achieved is through a national broadcaster. It was a much more interesting time when people actually were engaged in what was going on, and not just consumed by the latest binge series viewing on Netflix(which is ****e btw)

What's rte?

Every time a discussion about RTÉ comes up, you’ll get the usual types who say ‘I just watch Netflix’, can nobody see how bad this is for society?
    It’s important to have an engaged public, a public who cares about what’s happening in the country, whose engaged in some way in public discourse and one important medium this can be achieved is through a national broadcaster.
    It was a much more interesting time when people actually were engaged in what was going on, and not just consumed by the latest binge series viewing on Netflix(which is ****e btw)

It would do your head in. It’s like some sort of badge of honour.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

So you have to pay your licence if you have zero channels on the TV? Is it a tax on the ownership of the TV itself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

Pac1Man wrote: »
    So you have to pay your licence if you have zero channels on the TV? Is it a tax on the ownership of the TV itself?

Yes. You are required to have a TV license if you possess a set on your premises capable of receiving a TV signal. No requirement to have it tuned in or even hooked up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Not really. I have the complete Sky package including the sh1te channels like Dave and Comedy Gold etc. I put RTE in the same category.

Would I miss it if Dave, Comedy Gold or RTE were gone from my TV line up?
    I don't think so, I 'd still have more than enough to keep me entertained.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

I watch very little RTE. It's not something I'm either proud or ashamed of, it's just a neutral fact. If RTE showed more things I wanted to watch, I'd be watching it. With so much time taken up by work, commuting and family, the idea that scarce, precious leisure time be spent watching something you've no interest in for the sake of "the common good" is just laughable. I do care about what happens in the country but the OP seems to suggest that you can only inform yourself by watching RTE, which is equally laughable.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Not really. I have the complete Sky package including the sh1te channels like Dave and Comedy Gold etc. I put RTE in the same category.

Would I miss it if Dave, Comedy Gold or RTE were gone from my TV line up?
    I don't think so, I 'd still have more than enough to keep me entertained.

That’s not what was said. I’d say you don’t go out of your way to tell everyone you don’t watch Dave at every opportunity like so many do with RTÉ.

I think its to do with wanting something in return for subsidising multiple salaries in excess of 100,000 euro.

But yeh its another reason for Tubridy and co to label us a whingers and call any kind of online criticism as toxic and bullying.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭SnazzyPig

Every time a discussion about RTÉ comes up, you’ll get the usual types who say ‘I just watch Netflix’, can nobody see how bad this is for society?
    It’s important to have an engaged public, a public who cares about what’s happening in the country, whose engaged in some way in public discourse and one important medium this can be achieved is through a national broadcaster.
    It was a much more interesting time when people actually were engaged in what was going on, and not just consumed by the latest binge series viewing on Netflix(which is ****e btw)

Making a sweeping statement about Netflix being ****e is a good indication of how dis-engaged you are. I don't watch much on Netflix, but I do know that it's the choice of the viewer that makes it good or bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,000 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

You don't need RTE to be engaged, informed or involved on public discourse

For people who don't watch RTE may I ask where do you get your Irish news from ?

Commercial TV ?
    Commercial radio ?
    Newspapers and their online presence ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

For people who don't watch RTE may I ask where do you get your Irish news from ?

Commercial TV ?
    Commercial radio ?

Unless Ireland is about to sink there simply is no news. Unless Gay Byrne died then it's the man who cured cancer mentality from the Irish press.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Commercial TV ?
    Commercial radio ?

There's probably a percentage who think you get news from twitter and youtube. FWIW I think there's a lot of waste at RTE but public service broadcasting is invaluable, especially news and current affairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Turned on the other night. Heard ‘proud sponsor of Dublin murders’. I thought that doesn’t seem right and quickly turned off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Somedaythefire

SnazzyPig wrote: »
    Making a sweeping statement about Netflix being ****e is a good indication of how dis-engaged you are. I don't watch much on Netflix, but I do know that it's the choice of the viewer that makes it good or bad.

He pretty much ruined his own post with that last line.

Advertisement