Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

and an absolute nobody called Maria Walsh who’s only moment in the public eye was being in the rose of Tralee also got elected. To the EU Parliament...
    It’s so depressing.
    Ah but you left out the best bits; shes a foxy looking lesbian and an accomplished sniper apparently.
    If we can get her to take out Merkel...

• Registered Users Posts: 27,169 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

We live in a country where just this week a councillor who was caught on video saying he wanted loads of money, got re-elected, and an absolute nobody called Maria Walsh who’s only moment in the public eye was being in the rose of Tralee also got elected. To the EU Parliament.

We are away with the fvckin faries in this country.

So it follows that this complete sham of a woman will walk away scott free from her attempted fraud. And she’ll not be fired or held to account and will be re-elected

It’s so depressing.

You haven't even touched the half of it.

We have had a team of Healy-Raes elected in Kerry, a team of Lowry sympathisers elected in Tipperary, a councillor elected in Louth who was named in court by a child abuse victim as not helping him etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,169 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

To my shame I don’t remember his name but he’s the one that was caught on secret video that ended up being shown on tv

Is he FG?

What does that tell you

There were three of them, all were re-elected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

cjmc wrote: »
    Was “ loads of money “ a FG councillor by any chance? He should be , ahem, binned!

To my shame I don’t remember his name but he’s the one that was caught on secret video that ended up being shown on tv

Is he FG?

What does that tell you

Hughie McElvaney. Was Fine Gael but now Independent. Sean Conlon up that way was a Fine Gael TD up that way and glassed someone.

Charming bunch altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭golfball37

Alan Farrell was defending her on newstalk this morning. Another FG TD who knows all about claim culture, unfortunately pictured on a ladder when his own claim details for compo would have made that impossible.

• Advertisement

blanch152 wrote: »

your wish is my command!! ahhh never gets old!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgRznrUwS0k

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

recedite wrote: »
    Looks like the infamous swing could become quite an attraction :)

Gap in the market for some start up offering safety lesson's on how to use it safely and correctly.

A photographer offering "I survived a go on the swing at Sophie's" memories.

Some graphic design company might get a tender to produce instructions on its operational complexities.

All on the back of a TD falling off one "with a drink in each hand"

• Registered Users Posts: 66,813 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Does it matter if McElvaney is FG now or not? He is in my electoral area and I can tell you he got the FG vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,626 ✭✭✭✭josip

If posters want something to happen about this, then email the sitting FG TDs in their constituency and cc the opposition TDs.
    Tell them, it's abhorrent what Maria Bailey was trying to do and unless FG expel her, not to expect a vote next time around.

Everyone will get a standard response.
    1 or 2 emails on an issue to a TD won't be seen most TDs.
    When the secretary gets 10 or more on the same issue, then it's brought to their attention.
    Get enough concerned FG TDs muttering in the Dail bar, especially those in marginal seats and you'd be surprised what can be achieved.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

mikeymouse wrote: »
    They initially offered to pay her medical exps.

Do we know that, or do we just know Maria Bailey said it on the radio?

(Genuine question here; I don't know. But I'm happy to be cynical about anything she says)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mikeymouse

golfball37 wrote: »
    Alan Farrell was defending her on newstalk this morning. Another FG TD who knows all about claim culture, unfortunately pictured on a ladder when his own claim details for compo would have made that impossible.
    You couldn't make it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Gap in the market for some start up offering safety lesson's on how to use it safely and correctly. "

They could just watch any three year old and see how they grip the rope and wiggle on to the seat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    They could just watch any three year old and see how they grip the rope and wiggle on to the seat

God no, for adults you surely need helmets, harnesses and soft landing pads at the very least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Alan was lucky enough to make his dodgy claim just before people started caring about the issue, and he's far from the only politician to do so.

In that context I can nearly see why Maria Bailey's so bitter about how things turned out. She's no worse than the rest of them, it was just her timing that was off.

Mrsmum wrote: »
    God no, for adults you surely need helmets, harnesses and soft landing pads at the very least.

And Josepha Madigan as health & safety inspector.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

You couldn't make it up!

These particular FGers seem well able to make stuff up in all fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

Keep voting these muppets into power for a century, without any electoral negativity for them when they do something dodgey or even evil, don't be surprised that they keep taking advantage of the good publics good will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mikeymouse

They initially offered to pay her medical exps.
    cdeb wrote: »
    Do we know that, or do we just know Maria Bailey said it on the radio?

(Genuine question here; I don't know. But I'm happy to be cynical about anything she says)
    I'd believe Shane Phelan of the Independent before yer wan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

You couldn't make it up!

These particular FGers seem well able to make stuff up in all fairness.
    In fairness, the car did roll back at 2mph

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Her PR manager and 'friend' was on the radio again saying they just want to draw a line in the sand and move on...emmm...No thanks, I think we should see this story out to a satisfactory conclusion, one where Maria Bailey is sacked or forced to resign and apologises for being a snotty self entitled free loader who lodged a fraudulent claim in order to make a quick buck.

One thing I will say for her, her story will hopefully encourage judges to look a lot closer at claimants and throw out claims from persons where it is clear that their injuries are their own fault or exaggerated and refer cases where its clear the claim is fraudulent to the GardaPP for them to be prosecuted. If that were to happen, less people would be inclined to make fake/fraudulent claims.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

Keep voting these muppets into power for a century, without any electoral negativity for them when they do something dodgey or even evil, don't be surprised that they keep taking advantage of the good publics good will.

That's it in a nutshell.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Her PR manager and 'friend' was on the radio again saying they just want to draw a line in the sand and move on...emmm...No thanks, I think we should see this story out to a satisfactory conclusion, one where Maria Bailey is sacked or forced to resign and apologises for being a snotty self entitled free loader who lodged a fraudulent claim in order to make a quick buck.

One thing I will say for her, her story will hopefully encourage judges to look a lot closer at claimants and throw out claims from persons where it is clear that their injuries are their own fault or exaggerated and refer cases where its clear the claim is fraudulent to the GardaPP for them to be prosecuted. If that were to happen, less people would be inclined to make fake/fraudulent claims.

I would go a little bit further.

Bailey has also implicated her legal team as advising her to take the claim - in the court they chose to take it to.

Refused to confirm if it was her FG colleague, but equally importantly refused to deny it too.

Who was with Bailey on the night in question, and possibly witnessed the whole thing?

Loads of road in this yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,345 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Does it matter if McElvaney is FG now or not? He is in my electoral area and I can tell you he got the FG vote.

I had forgotten he’s independent now! But yeah he still gets the fg vote

• Registered Users Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

I would go a little bit further.

Bailey has also implicated her legal team as advising her to take the claim - in the court they chose to take it to.

Refused to confirm if it was her FG colleague, but equally importantly refused to deny it too.

Who was with Bailey on the night in question, and possibly witnessed the whole thing?

Loads of road in this yet.

In the words of the song by Paul Overstreet and Don Schlitz.

"You say it best
    When you say nothing at all"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Hardtochoose

Completely taking the piss out of her here on the joe Duffy show live from bloom. This is really hurting Fine Gael , the audience lapping it up . Delighted

• Registered Users Posts: 18,218 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Shane Ross looks like the cat who got the cream...
    https://www.thejournal.ie/maria-bailey-shane-ross-swing-4662874-May2019/

d7uogl7w0aawa2s-310x415.jpg

Jayus, if Shane Ross can take the piss out of ya, that is when you know you are in real trouble.... :rolleyes:

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

Completely taking the piss out of her here on the joe Duffy show live from bloom. This is really hurting Fine Gael , the audience lapping it up . Delighted

That's the reason I think she's finished. Her party and the public both, from past experience, seem able to forgive stroke pulling and dodgy dealings but nobody wants to link themselves to a laughing stock.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

blanch152 wrote: »

I'm sure the "Dublin media are after us" sympathy vote played a part.

The key to topping the poll down the country seems to be taking lots of brown envelopes and making sure the Dublin media find out about it. Then play the persecution card. Works every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

says the IRA/SF cheerleader

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,219 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement