Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Drogheda Restaurant Reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,282 ✭✭✭positron

Tried this last night. Burger was tasty indeed, but house smells like a chippers. Kitchen floor is all slippery. I see why he did it on a BBQ hot plate outside. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭Hoboo

IvoryTower wrote: »
    I was told in Woodrows they order in sambos/paninis ready made. I think i'll pass.

How do they offer create your own sandwiches in that case? Even the set panini is made to order, no peppers wasnt a problem, and I got onion on mine. Unless they take your order, and then it's delivered from kierans or wherever?

Was bloody tasty either way.

CheerLouth wrote: »
    I think it ended up that way - although they didn't have the soup & sandwich option on the menu. We asked the waitress before we ordered as most of the menu was dinners & she didn't mention there was a set option.

I think it might be a Monday to Friday offer alright, I had mine mid week. Wouldn't be going to pay €13 for a soup and sandwich to be fair, not when there's steak and chips in dvine for 14.

On another note, tried Il Forno last week, just pizza and a bottle of wine. Pizza wasnt bad, nothing amazing although very large, wine was awful, 4 euro bottle for 25 or so. Pick the cheapest bottle in even lidl and it'd be better. Service was good and staff very friendly and accommodating for a walk in. Wouldn't be back purely as a middle finger to their plonk policy.

IvoryTower wrote: »
    I gave it a bash stu, wasnt a bad first effort, the missus is delighted :p

That's good to hear, both you cooking the burger and the missus being delighted with it :D Did you try the 'smash' and all yeah?
    positron wrote: »
    Tried this last night. Burger was tasty indeed, but house smells like a chippers. Kitchen floor is all slippery. I see why he did it on a BBQ hot plate outside. :o

Haha, I haven't actually tried Sam's technique from start to finish, just borrowed a bit from it. Given your report though...I want my kitchen smelling like a chipper! Will be trying this very soon.

Mostly I go with the Bunsen video - The steamed bun and the mustard were revelations for me. I don't typically like mustard so never used it on my burgers previously, but once I started mixing it into a sauce with ketchup/mayonnaise there was instantly that distinct diner-burger taste.

I better try and bring this back on topic...Has anyone eaten from Sally Cinnamon's yet? It is attached to the Coffee Box (on Fair Green), who serve really good coffee and brownies btw, and it has a Mexi-centric menu. I'm well interested to give it a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Hoboo wrote: »
    I think it might be a Monday to Friday offer alright, I had mine mid week. Wouldn't be going to pay €13 for a soup and sandwich to be fair, not when there's steak and chips in dvine for 14.

That could be why it wasn't overly busy on a Saturday afternoon with a Rugby World Cup on! We'll know in future!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

50/50 / The Little Guys closed for the foreseeable.

Anyone know why?

Anyone know why?

Location? I didn't even know it was there, let alone part of 50/50.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Hoboo wrote: »
    Location? I didn't even know it was there, let alone part of 50/50.

Where the Fisherman's wharf used to be in Mell.

Had been once recently and it was nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

The place is cursed, nothing ever lasts there too long

Sorry I meant would location have something to do with it, not a great spot for passing footfall. I pass there once a week and new something was there but didn't know it was 50/50. Decent grub in their other restaurants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

Anyone know why?
    I went in there a few weeks ago to try the food, it was very poor, portion sizes were miserable. I had seen people say 50/50 in Ashbourne or Ratoath was good, so I thought I would give it a try.

Tried breakfast in Donegans over the weekend, sausages were a little bit bland, tomato was undercooked, but apart from that it was clean, tasty and plentiful. Nice coffee too. Service was good, very prompt, and the bar is very comfortable. Definitely be back if in town or coming from north in the morning.

Very good lunch at Bia yesterday - kids love their fluffy pancakes with maple syrup. Their full breakfast was perfect, and herself who ordered the steak sandwich thoroughly enjoyed it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭minzabud

Pulled pork bap from Kings at the weekend was very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭darklighter

minzabud wrote: »
    Pulled pork bap from Kings at the weekend was very good.

Had that a few weeks ago, was delish :D

Had breakfast in Relish Highlanes last week, was grand, Brown Bread is its saving grace!

Mylow wrote: »
    I went in there a few weeks ago to try the food, it was very poor, portion sizes were miserable. I had seen people say 50/50 in Ashbourne or Ratoath was good, so I thought I would give it a try.

I'd been a few times since it opened & it was always fairly busy. Seemed to be the exact same as the other branches as well, nothing fancy but good value for money.
    Hadnt been since they rebranded but had heard they'd increased the prices

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭kjbsrah1

Eastern Seaboard and the Brown Hound Coffee Shop both closed today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

yep it has its own thread

• Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

I know it's not exactly Drogheda but close enough in Cloigherhead is La Pizzeria. I used to frequent it when it was based in Peter St and loved the food and atmosphere of the place. I have to say i was very impressed after bringing the Mrs there over the weekend.
    The garlic bread is the exact same as they used to do it but no Pizza Drogheda on the menu. One of the waitresses overheard me saying this and they made one up for me like the good old days. Top notch grub and very reasonable. Will definitely go again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭furiousox

Has anyone tried Restaurant Canale beside Quay Cycles yet?
    I'm a big fan of Simona's, wondering how this place compares?

CPL 593H

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Theres 3 course meal for 2 people 25e in Duende on pigsback. You cant book for month of December but it's a great deal. Felt like I'd robbed the place last night. Food was lovely, staff very friendly, nice atmosphere. Burger great too...

Another great diner out at Aisha. First time trying their 'meat mezza' and the starter selection was amazing, and a lot of it too - I always loved their falafels and hummus, but rest of the stuff was brilliant too. Kofta etc, and their chicken drumsticks are the best I've ever had - well balanced spicy, soft & moist. Mains were equally great - dijaj mansaf and dawood basha, chicken and meatballs respectively, however we couldn't finish them after that huge starter selection, so they ended up coming home with us (doggy bags) which was plenty for another night's dinner (we cooked some lebanese rice to go with them).

There's something cool about bringing our own favourite plonk (err.. aldi's finest) and drinking away while enjoying these top class exotic dishes. Long it may last.

Had dinner out in Tribe in Duleek last weekend. Pricy enough but the food was tasty and its a lovely venue. The cat that greets you at the door is a nice touch! Staff were a bit pushy with extra drinks & the desserts though, could tone down the extra sales pitch a little bit

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Had dinner out in Tribe in Duleek
    Hearing great things about it - hopefully they'll last, they're the fifth crew to try and make a run of that location.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭gipi

Hearing great things about it - hopefully they'll last, they're the fifth crew to try and make a run of that location.

The Spire was a great success (in my opinion), and only closed because the owner wouldn't give the restauranteurs a long lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Chelle_C

gipi wrote: »
    The Spire was a great success (in my opinion), and only closed because the owner wouldn't give the restauranteurs a long lease.

Ah the decor was so underwhelming though.
    If you’re going to open a restaurant in an old church, make it something special.
    It was so boring inside.

Tribe, I’m not mad about - been twice and wasn’t blown away.
    However the decor and atmosphere is fabulous.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Chelle_C

Just outside Drogheda I know but I got to try La Pizzeria in Clogherhead this weekend, at last!

Wow. Just as good as I'd heard, if not better.
    The only disappointment was the homemade tiramisu which was very tasteless and basically a bowl of mascarpone, very little flavour.
    However everything else was just stunning, even the coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

gipi wrote: »

Loved The Spire as well. For some reason Tribe hasn't grabbed me. Think it might be a little pretentious (not sure if that's the word I'm looking for) and definitely a little pricy. Think pricing might hurt them in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

Chelle_C wrote: »
    Just outside Drogheda I know but I got to try La Pizzeria in Clogherhead this weekend, at last!

Wow. Just as good as I'd heard, if not better.
    The only disappointment was the homemade tiramisu which was very tasteless and basically a bowl of mascarpone, very little flavour.
    However everything else was just stunning, even the coffee.

I cannot believe this about the tiramisu in La Pizzeria. I visit here frequently and always end with the tiramisu when its available as it sells out each and every night, its rich creamy, made fresh each day and its top class I have tried it in other restaurants here and on the continent and none compare to the one in La Pizzeria Clogherhead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,974 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Oh Yeah Burger.

90% empty.

Took over 25 mins to make a burger. Won't be back.

Advertisement