Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SUNDAY 15th December

• 14-12-2019 11:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

Mengli Khan is not easily overlooked back over hurdles but at more than twice the price and 2 stone lighter I’ll chance Eddie Cawley’s GOLDEN JEWEL . 2nd in this last year off the same mark , the trainer is cute at targeting a race here and at Fairyhouse so with the assistance of a classy 3lb claimer this year too , hopefully he can be involved . Forecast soft ground wouldn’t be a problem but it even might go off a bit better than that (dry today and no rain due until after racing) .

Had a good look at Barry Connell’s pair with Barwell shading it but it’s hard to know how he’ll be after such a lay off . No denying his maiden win was smart enough though and the presence of another quality 3lb claimer on him (who presumably could have rode Byrnes’ horse who is slightly shorter in the betting) and double figure odds tips the balance in favour of a bet .

The other one of interest was Drumacoo for Mick Hourigan off a low weight with Rachel Blackmore up . Looked on the way back into form at Fairyhouse but just short enough around 7/1.

12.30 Navan -
    GOLDEN JEWEL 20/1 BetVictor , PP
    BARWELL 10/1 BetVictor , bet365

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭BoldReason

First time in a battle and he chucks it in. Fairly dissapinting there from Andy Dufresne.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Very disappointed in that

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Winner had the better form going into the race. Hindsight is fantastic eh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

Envoi and Abra it is so for the novice hurdles

MaxBet wrote: »
    Mengli Khan is not easily overlooked back over hurdles but at more than twice the price and 2 stone lighter I’ll chance Eddie Cawley’s GOLDEN JEWEL . 2nd in this last year off the same mark , the trainer is cute at targeting a race here and at Fairyhouse so with the assistance of a classy 3lb claimer this year too , hopefully he can be involved . Forecast soft ground wouldn’t be a problem but it even might go off a bit better than that (dry today and no rain due until after racing) .

Had a good look at Barry Connell’s pair with Barwell shading it but it’s hard to know how he’ll be after such a lay off . No denying his maiden win was smart enough though and the presence of another quality 3lb claimer on him (who presumably could have rode Byrnes’ horse who is slightly shorter in the betting) and double figure odds tips the balance in favour of a bet .

The other one of interest was Drumacoo for Mick Hourigan off a low weight with Rachel Blackmore up . Looked on the way back into form at Fairyhouse but just short enough around 7/1.

12.30 Navan -
    GOLDEN JEWEL 20/1 BetVictor , PP
    BARWELL 10/1 BetVictor , bet365

Wouldn't back Mengli with a trócaire box

• Advertisement

Bookies day at navan

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭MaxBet

I wouldn’t give up hope on him popping up at a decent price at some stage .

4yo’s first and second .
    That novice hurdle at Punchestown working out nicely , 3 of the first 5 going in since , 2 to run

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭zpehtsfd

La Tektor should relish the conditions today. Jumped nicely first time out. Entered in a Grade 1 over Christmas so they must like him a lot. GL

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I wouldn’t give up hope on him popping up at a decent price at some stage .

Mengli Khan looks regressive to me. The Supreme novice of 2018 looks like the weakest renewal in a while. Albeit Lost in Translation finished 7th. Sharjah was 8th.

Either way he has not done much since and looks expensive to follow. He is flat bred as well, I wouldn't be following him over any cliffs.

I would think he needs to drop a good half stone by the handicapper and a good summer doing nothing might suit him.

After saying that he probably wins the Coral Cup :):o

• Advertisement

Some drift on pencilfulloflead in the bumper nearly 5/1 on the machine from about 6/4 overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

BoldReason wrote: »
    Some drift on pencilfulloflead in the bumper nearly 5/1 on the machine from about 6/4 overnight.

Yeah looks like Dewcup

BumperD wrote: »
    Yeah looks like Dewcup

Back into about 3/1 now. I haven't had a bet myself but I did think Joseph's would take a bit of beating when I was looking at the race last night.
    Interesting race in fairness.

BoldReason wrote: »
    Back into about 3/1 now. I haven't had a bet myself but I did think Joseph's would take a bit of beating when I was looking at the race last night.
    Interesting race in fairness.

Uhtred was impressive in that ground

BumperD wrote: »
    Uhtred was impressive in that ground

Was alright. Looks a nice prospect. Wouldn't give up on Dewcup either he wasn't really suited by the run of things I thought.
    Pencilfulloflead got the complete run of the race I thought and was fairly flat.

The winner is not eligible for the champion bumper as an FYI i don't think as he has the hurdles run in cork. Gigginstown prob unlikely to send him there regardless.

Yes think you’re right Re cb hurdles run. There will be a few more coming for Christmas no doubt Willy has a few weapons to unleash he’s been quiet so far in NHF races

Fairly Legal must have had 3 stone in hand rated 126 hurdles running 109 chase today :rolleyes:

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Mengli Khan looks regressive to me. The Supreme novice of 2018 looks like the weakest renewal in a while. Albeit Lost in Translation finished 7th. Sharjah was 8th.

Either way he has not done much since and looks expensive to follow. He is flat bred as well, I wouldn't be following him over any cliffs.

I would think he needs to drop a good half stone by the handicapper and a good summer doing nothing might suit him.

After saying that he probably wins the Coral Cup :):o

Regressive over fences or in general ? I honestly wouldn’t be surprised to see him bag a nice handicap at some stage off a reduced mark .
    Not quite the follow off a cliff type , like you say , but I’ll keep an eye for sure

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Regressive over fences or in general ? I honestly wouldn’t be surprised to see him bag a nice handicap at some stage off a reduced mark .
    Not quite the follow off a cliff type , like you say , but I’ll keep an eye for sure

I think regressive in general.

But Elliott has form with easing off some really good horses to get the better out of them long term. Tiger Roll didn't win a race for 18 months at one point. Carlito Brigante springs to mind also.

The thing is sometimes you have to take it at face value. He might just be overrated ( quite literally ) by the handicapper.

Lads... Mengli is an absolute out and out pig. Tombstone Ii

• Advertisement

I wouldn’t mind having a pig like that ...

I sound like the chairman of the Mengli fan club now , far from it , hardly thought about him between March and looking through that race today . I just think he could get better handicapped, maybe back to 2m and turn up at a very backable price

If mengli Khan ever wins a graded race again I will personally buy his hay for a year
    Oink

Calling Mengli Khan a pig yet continues off the cliff with York Hill. You have some nerve Roger!!!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

You'd have to think they're trying to fiddle with MK's mark.

Yorkhill has 2 festival wins and added grade 1s
    ..... What has mengli Khan?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭HarshOstrich

Sorry roger but mengli khan will earn more prize money than yorkhill from now until the rest of there careers,
    Nothing left in that lad.

Just because you were once a good horse does not mean that you are now not a pig!!

Advertisement